Bills, Montell Owens visiting

Montell Owens Jaguars Getty Getty Images

Running back Montell Owens is visiting the Bills on Monday, the club said, tweeting a picture of the former Jaguar for good measure.

Owens (5-10, 225) could appeal to Buffalo on numerous levels. He is a two-time Pro Bowler on special teams, and he’s capable of playing both fullback and running back.

The 29-year-old Owens has primarily made his name on special teams, but when injuries forced him into the lineup at tailback for Jacksonville a season ago, he acquitted himself well. Overall, Owens rushed for 209 yards and a touchdown on 42 carries in 2012 for the Jaguars, who released him last week.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Bills, Montell Owens visiting”
  1. corkspop says: May 20, 2013 12:15 PM

Could show the rookies what Special Teams play is all about. I wouldn’t mind seeing this guy on the opening day roster.

2. unfortunatelyabillsfan says: May 20, 2013 12:30 PM

Prepared to book my tickets to the Super Bowl if we sign him! This would be huge!!!!!

Obviously this is a joke….

3. craigjosh says: May 20, 2013 1:10 PM

Man, I really wish they would bring in another pass rusher, or LB with experience to teach these young kids. A CB would be nice too, hell I’m realizing that I could probaly go on and on about where we need to have better talent. Anyweay, just sign him, and keep singing anyone else who is willing to jump on board. No really sure we should be focusing on Special Teams right now. Ahhh, the life of a Bills fan.

4. followme2boston says: May 20, 2013 1:21 PM

This staff seems to really like versatile guys, he has a chance to get an offer of a contract.

5. eatitfanboy says: May 20, 2013 1:31 PM

Guy’s carved out a 7 year career mostly playing special teams. In an era where most teams recycle the players at the bottom of the roster regularly, it says something about his talent and character to hang on that long.

I hope he gets to play somewhere this year.

6. jpaq68 says: May 20, 2013 2:35 PM

Poor Montel. Buffalo is where careers go to die. I hope some other teams take a look at him.

7. tolan04 says: May 20, 2013 7:11 PM

Yeah Owens has 800 yards Barnett had back to back 100 tackle seasons and Mario had the most sacks he’s had since 08.

8. lakermetskins says: May 20, 2013 8:00 PM

I kept calling him Montell Williams last year for some reason.

9. EJ says: May 20, 2013 8:50 PM

jpaq68 says: May 20, 2013 2:35 PM

Really? Your kidding right? What player that was at the top of his game when he came to Buffalo and left with a killed career? Can you name any? Think before you talk crap.

10. swo says: May 22, 2013 12:45 AM

As a Jags fan, whoever gets Montell will be getting an awesome guy and a really good player. He was too valuable on special teams to play him much at RB/FB but he really looked good when they did put him in the backfield. I always thought he should be playing more at RB especially once Mojo went down. Since I have nothing against the Bills and he is from Maine, it would be nice to see him up there with you guys.