Calvin Johnson didn’t break his fingers

Calvin Johnson, Charles Tillman AP

Last season, after Lions receiver Calvin Johnson suffered a concussion, the Lions said he didn’t.

Today, Johnson reportedly confirmed that he played with three broken fingers in 2012.  And while the team has not yet addressed the contention, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that Johnson actually didn’t break any fingers.

He also apparently didn’t say that he broke his fingers, based on the questions asked and answers provided.

A portion of Johnson’s quotes appears in Chris McCosky’s story in the Detroit News.  There’s no specific quote from Johnson acknowledging the fingers were broken.

This doesn’t change the fact that he suffered some sort of injury to the fingers on his left hand that has left them crooked, but the injury report for last year only shows Johnson as having a “thumb” injury twice, in Week 13 and Week 15.

Thus, broken or not, Johnson played with finger injuries last year.  Which can make slightly more difficult the task of using the fingers and the hands to catch footballs.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
52 Responses to “Calvin Johnson didn’t break his fingers”
  1. biscojay says: May 20, 2013 1:52 PM

Really though….who cares? He’s a football player…nothing more

2. 1oldpro says: May 20, 2013 1:53 PM

Aren’t teams supposed to report injuries weekly?

3. thestrategyexpert says: May 20, 2013 1:54 PM

So what is McCosky’s follow up comment on this? Did he get a verbal confirmation from CJ or did he just flat out lie about his report?

4. butterstone84 says: May 20, 2013 1:54 PM

Thank god this story finally broke. I was on the edge of my seat!

5. eaglesw00t says: May 20, 2013 1:55 PM

Do anyone besides MF and John Harbaugh really care?

6. DonkeyStick says: May 20, 2013 1:56 PM

Well thank goodness we cleared that up, now we can get onto real topics.

7. larryboodry says: May 20, 2013 1:59 PM

And so this becomes a non-story, except that now CJ’s fans have one less thing to brag about…This doesn’t diminish what he accomplished last year.

8. bathroombenlovemachine says: May 20, 2013 2:01 PM

Now the drama queen is changing HER story. Megatron can’t even hold DeSean Jackson’s jock strap.

Eagles will win Super Bowl 48

9. 4thquartermagic says: May 20, 2013 2:02 PM

“This changes nothing for me.”

-Mark Sanchez

10. jaggedmark says: May 20, 2013 2:02 PM

So the only thing he broke was the Madden Curse

11. jjthesportsguy says: May 20, 2013 2:02 PM

Breaking records on a bad team isn’t nearly as impressive as approaching records on a playoff team or carrying a team to the playoffs(AP with the Vikes).

12. markchmurasbabysitter says: May 20, 2013 2:06 PM

when does the preseason start?

13. ozymandias121 says: May 20, 2013 2:06 PM

All WRs are the same.

14. b3nz0z says: May 20, 2013 2:08 PM

clintonesque

15. shadowcell says: May 20, 2013 2:09 PM

his fingers exist in a quantum superposition of broken and not broken

16. micknangold says: May 20, 2013 2:09 PM

How does Torry Holt even use that hand?

17. mtchainsmoker says: May 20, 2013 2:11 PM

Of course he didn’t break his own fingers. Somebody else did it for him.

18. donstylo says: May 20, 2013 2:11 PM

Maybe he played with someone else’s broken fingers in his back pocket.

19. S.Nevada says: May 20, 2013 2:11 PM

So you ran a story without having all the facts? Got it.

20. roddytorock84 says: May 20, 2013 2:14 PM

OK Ben Roethlisberger

21. mvp43 says: May 20, 2013 2:18 PM

Ndonkeydonk Suh better stomp out the Calvin Johnson’s broken finger rumors right away.

22. jjrs89 says: May 20, 2013 2:22 PM

This site is becoming synonymous with running a story, then running another shortly after shooting down the previous. Pretty weak sauce, guys

23. pj1983a says: May 20, 2013 2:22 PM

Sounds like he’s gotten a couple fingers dislocated a few too many times. It’s a common injury and easily fixed if there’s no ligament damage. I’m not surprised it didn’t show up on an injury report though. If every single minor hand injury was reported on the injury report, it would have half the team on it every week. There’s gotta be a line somewhere.

24. gameover18 says: May 20, 2013 2:24 PM

Why is this even a story?? Who cares! Write about something worth reading! Do you know how many NFL players play with broken fingers week in and week out?

25. abqpacker says: May 20, 2013 2:33 PM

Drew Brees demands an explanation. No one else cares!

26. jprcox says: May 20, 2013 2:41 PM

Its that time of the year where the only story bigger than someone playing with a broken finger is the scandal of that player ‘perhaps’ lying about playing with a broken finger. Only to question ‘IF’ that person actually said he had a broken finger to begin with.

I need to start following a different sport this time of year.

27. taintedsaints2009 says: May 20, 2013 2:54 PM

The reporting here is pretty bad, pft. One spot below, your headline says Calvin Johnson broke three fingers.

28. dc4283 says: May 20, 2013 2:56 PM

To break or not to Break… That is the question??

29. koolaidsgonebad says: May 20, 2013 3:02 PM

REALLY?? Come on man! Someone really calling Megatron a drama queen. This guy is a classy professional in a position that is known for primadonnas. He broke the receiving yards record with a Lion’s team that had virtually no run game. Broken hand or dislocated fingers may be the norm in football – but for receivers or QBs those is a major injuries as oppose to a DT who can cast it (hand) like a club. I cannot wait to see how explosive this offense can be this year.

30. luvmnsports2012 says: May 20, 2013 3:11 PM

What a drama queen! All off season it’s story after story with mega-gone! SKOL Vikes!!!

31. packerbackernj says: May 20, 2013 3:13 PM

I’ve loved watching Calvin play since he was a yellow jacket. I’ve been saying he’s the best receiver in the NFL since he was a rookie catching passes from Kitna. He was a true professional. He dominated the league, kept his name out of the headlines, and was refreshingly quiet for a WR. Sadly though, it seems his team mates and coach have been rubbing off on him lately, as he’s been having a lot more to say in recent years. It’s a damn shame.

32. thesteelers says: May 20, 2013 3:16 PM

This is just the Lions covering up the fact that they hid these injuries throughout the season, saving themselves from league punishment.

33. larryboodry says: May 20, 2013 3:22 PM

mtchainsmoker says: May 20, 2013 2:11 PM

“Of course he didn’t break his own fingers. Somebody else did it for him.”

It was Titus Young, and STILL Calvin was better.

34. mikewhorio says: May 20, 2013 3:23 PM

At least that explains all of the drops.

35. WatchThis says: May 20, 2013 3:29 PM

“Thus, broken or not, Johnson played with finger injuries last year” and had almost 2000 yards in receiving.

“Which can make slightly more difficult the task of using the fingers and the hands to catch footballs” which is why he didn’t break the 2000 yard mark.

36. WatchThis says: May 20, 2013 3:33 PM

Without CJ’s 2000 yards, Stafford would have only thrown as many yards as Cutler.

37. lionsdraftguy says: May 20, 2013 3:42 PM

@WatchThis

…and Stafford also threw 2000 less tantrums than Jay Quitler.

38. antneejay2 says: May 20, 2013 4:18 PM

If he didn’t break his fingers, who did break them?

39. WatchThis says: May 20, 2013 4:21 PM

lionsdraftguy, I was only trying to say Stafford is just as good as anyone even simply wiping away CJ’s numbers, though I don’t want to lose CJ. Not sure why I had to add that comment, but I just wanted to. Go LIONS!

40. lionsdraftguy says: May 20, 2013 4:38 PM

@WatchThis

Go Lions indeed!

41. istateyourname says: May 20, 2013 4:50 PM

It was just a few low-level rogue bones in Cincinatti that really never got to the Detroit level…it’s nothing really….

42. sonopazzo6 says: May 20, 2013 5:09 PM

If Calvin breaks his fingers but nobody is around to hear them break, are they really broken?

43. 4ever9er says: May 20, 2013 5:39 PM

Jerry Rice>Calvin Johnson…..
    What’s the point of have a ton of yards or catches and you don’t score TDs.
    CJ had 122 catches for 1964 yards and 5 TDs when he broke JR’s single season yardage record.
    The year Rice set the record he was 33 had the following:
    122 Catches, 1848 yards and 15 TDs (16 if you count the 1 rushing TD).
    Right now CJ scores a TD every 145 yards and every 9th catch
    JR over his careers scored a TD every 116 yards and every 7th catch

44. joeyashwi says: May 20, 2013 5:40 PM

With the sticky gloves these receivers wear now they don’t even need fingers anymore anyway.

45. lionsdraftguy says: May 20, 2013 5:49 PM

@4ever9er

Leave it to a 49er fan to say Calvin isnt as good as Rice. Where in the article did anyone ever state that? No where. The problem is, 49ers fans are so full of themselves that they forget to read stuff.

Nothing against J R, but id really like to see him go against the CBs of todays game. I really would.

Show some darn respect to players that have earned it. Is that too much to ask Niners fans?

46. herephishyphishy says: May 20, 2013 5:50 PM

Hey let me use this opportunity of a story about this guy to call him garbage because he’s not my guy, also while I’m here let me mention my guy is sooooo much better!

47. WatchThis says: May 20, 2013 6:38 PM

I also want to tie into this story how much better Cabrera is than Trout. I’m not sure how I’ll tie it in, but it is true.

48. voiceofreason says: May 20, 2013 6:55 PM

CJ HURT himself. Being hurt is not an injury. If every team had a HURT-list along with the INJURY -list..*smh*…It would be easier/faster to list the healthy players….

49. lakermetskins says: May 20, 2013 7:56 PM

Doesn’t matter. Still my favorite NFL Player right now. I’m not even a Lion fan.

50. WatchThis says: May 20, 2013 8:24 PM

There are injuries where you shouldn’t play and injuries you can play through depending on your position.

51. mazblast says: May 20, 2013 10:57 PM

I’m sure Goodell will find a way to blame and fine the Saints and/or Redskins for this. I figure it’s the Saints, since there’s no current evidence that anything in fact happened.

52. 4ever9er says: May 21, 2013 4:14 PM

@lionsdraftguy says: May 20, 2013 5:49 PM

1. It’s the truth!

2. While no one stated it in this article; you know there are people who are thinking that, so I want to squelch those thoughts before they get started!

3. I’m not disrespecting CJ, I think he is one of the top 3 WR’s in the NFL today (L. Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson) in any order you choose (I prefer Fitz). I just want to make sure that people know who the greatest is.

4. I’ve been a 9er fan for 43 years (some great, some good, some bad and some down right awful) so it’s not arrogance or being full of myself, it’s the simple fact that I love my team just like I’m sure you love yours.

5. You do realize that Jerry played against DB’s named, Haynes, Woodson (Rod), Sanders, Green etc? So I don’t think he would have too many problems with the DB’s of today.