Chad Johnson arrested for probation violation

Chad Johnson AP

Last week, a judge in Florida issued an arrest warrant for former NFL wide receiver Chad Johnson for violating his probation on a domestic violence charge from last summer.

Johnson was reportedly out of the state at the time that the warrant was issued, but he’s back in Florida on Monday and TMZ reports that he’s now under arrest. Per the report, which features a picture of Johnson being cuffed by police officers, Johnson appeared in the Broward County courtroom and the judge ruled that he had violated his probation by missing two visits with his probation officer and failing to produce proof that he had enrolled in a domestic violence education class.

Johnson was placed on probation when he pleaded no contest to charges stemming from an incident with his then-wife Evelyn Lozada last August. Johnson’s arrest led to his release by the Dolphins and, most likely, the end of a professional football career that was already on its last legs.

There’s no word yet on bail or future court dates for Johnson.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Police Blotter, Rumor Mill
30 Responses to “Chad Johnson arrested for probation violation”
  1. shjmmy says: May 20, 2013 11:23 AM

Easy way to find out of Chad Johnson is in trouble = see if he’s tweeted in the past 24 hours.

2. natevidlak says: May 20, 2013 11:26 AM

My passport wallet was stolen while on vacation with lindsey lohan. Doesn’t that count as a valid excuse?

3. mazblast says: May 20, 2013 11:26 AM

“That was Chad Ochocinco, I be Chad Johnson. That’s not the same person, so I didn’t vi-o-late no pro-ba-tion.”

4. kd75 says: May 20, 2013 11:28 AM

Bail set at Ocho Cinco dinero.

5. souljalb says: May 20, 2013 11:30 AM

Damnit man…I hate to see this

6. mobuccsfan says: May 20, 2013 11:32 AM

Is it wrong to feel kind of sad about his freefall–granted he is the one that made these dumb, bone-headed decision, and domestic violence IMO is never okay–this coming from a survivor of it for 17 years of my life.

But I think back to his time in Cincy, when I enjoyed his on-field antics and celebrations–it is all part of the entertainment of it and I don’t think he was ever too out of line, over-the-top or offensive–again, just my opinion. The HOF jacket one was about the only one I disagreed with. I thought he should of continued to perform and increase his stats, contribute to winning teams and let his career speak for itself…however, once he went to New England–combined with the NFL coming down on celebrations etc. Ocho never was the same.

7. chasezdad16 says: May 20, 2013 11:35 AM

Chad, guess it’s time to “kiss the baby” eh?

8. joemammy says: May 20, 2013 11:42 AM

He wants to retire a Bengal.

Fitting…

9. barneyrumble says: May 20, 2013 11:42 AM

Understatement of the thread I know, but Stupid move not taking probation seriously. Dude wanted back in the league and a small part of me wanted to see him back in but that small glimmer of hope is gone because if you don’t take trying to clear your name seriously, how are you going to be trusted to take a NFL spot seriously?
    Guy is heading down a dark and short path unfortunately.

10. siggtacular says: May 20, 2013 11:48 AM

What a shame.

11. questforthesixthnotthelast2013 says: May 20, 2013 11:48 AM

When you legally change your name, its supposed to be legally changed, do you guys have a problem with his name change, or just want to be disrespectful?
    Its Ochocinco! I’d refuse to answer the judge unless he states my real name!!
    Of course, he could have changed it back and I just didn’t know, its not like I follow him!

12. barrysandersjr says: May 20, 2013 11:49 AM

Used to be one of my favorite WR’s in the NFL.
    Without the NFL I fear this will happen more and more often now.
    It’s easy for me to start hating now but I just hope he gets some kind of structure in his life and he see’s how this is not the path he wants to go down.
    Your my boy chad, stop being a ******* idiot and straighten up.

13. seabronco says: May 20, 2013 11:54 AM

That’s too bad

14. rg3andthensome says: May 20, 2013 12:04 PM

Oh wow….For a minute I was worried it was Ochocinco….Phew!

15. nickster31 says: May 20, 2013 12:06 PM

Is it just me, or does anyone else see the WWE in this guys future?

16. rasalghoul says: May 20, 2013 12:13 PM

Does this mean he will now be handing out “Judge Please” t-shirts?

17. baltimoresnativeson says: May 20, 2013 12:26 PM

Lesson…..number…..one

The wrong female can ruin your life. Choose carefully.

18. rmosss says: May 20, 2013 12:35 PM

I wonder who he’s gonna dance with in prison???

19. bengalsucker says: May 20, 2013 12:48 PM

Dude got wrapped up with the wrong female. Plain and simple. Not condoning him hitting her but I can imagine she’s good a pushing buttons to get guys in the position so she can bail with half their cash. She did it before right? hmmmm. Never had any criminal issues before her. Oh and to those saying his legal name is Ochocinco, it is not. He had to change it before he got married because his gold digger didn’t want Ochocinco as a last name. She wanted Johnson.

20. woodrree7 says: May 20, 2013 12:51 PM

hey Chad, I guess you can trade that makeshift Hall of Fame jacket in for a orange jump suit and a Hall of Shame jacket. You were an over hyped player, now you can be a over hyped inmate. What a joke!

21. citizenstrange says: May 20, 2013 12:53 PM

Don’t you love farce?
    My fault I fear.
    I thought that you’d want what I want.
    Sorry, my dear.
    But where are the clowns?
    Quick, send in the clowns.
    Don’t bother, they’re here.

22. Stiller43 says: May 20, 2013 12:58 PM

Questforthrsixth,

He DID change it back…

23. bigks77 says: May 20, 2013 1:01 PM

Child Please!

24. torontosbiggestturd says: May 20, 2013 1:01 PM

Open the chute Chad – you’ve been free-falling way too long!!!!

25. jam11163 says: May 20, 2013 1:06 PM

ocho’s bail was set at uno thousand dollars. wich he posted.

26. @Cereal_22 says: May 20, 2013 1:07 PM

#CareerOver

27. jimbobobjr says: May 20, 2013 1:18 PM

Chad Ochoclinko. That was way too easy!

28. immafubared says: May 20, 2013 3:54 PM

Here’s the deal. Had he still been playing, the judge would have slapped his wrist and said now now Chad. By not being in football leaves you open to real punishment for your crimes.

29. fdugrad says: May 20, 2013 7:20 PM

AAAANNND he hits rock bottom…HARD!

30. steelerben says: May 21, 2013 3:07 PM

As a side note, I bet Drama is psyched that he wore his Young & Reckless logo shirt for the official arrest photo. Any publicity is good publicity.