Son of Redskins legend Darrell Green in Cowboys camp

Jared Green, Darrell Green AP

Darrell Green had a Hall of Fame career with the Redskins, but no one will be happier to cheer for the Cowboys this season.

That’s because his son, wide receiver Jared Green, is on the Cowboys roster after spending last year on the Panthers practice squad.

So as natural as it would have been for the son to idolize an Art Monk or a Gary Clark growing up, it was a Michael Irvin poster on his wall instead.

“Every kid, I don’t care what anybody says, any kid in the ’90s saw that star and wanted to be a Dallas Cowboy,” Jared said, via Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com. “I don’t care who you are or where you’re from, you wanted to be a Dallas Cowboy. . . .

“My dad was a player at that place, and we appreciated everything he did and what the organization allowed him to do, but after that it’s just a job Dad worked for 20 years. I’m a grown man, and my dad is supporting what I do and we’re all-in for the Dallas Cowboys.”

The younger Green apparently stood out in rookie minicamps, though the competition will increase when the veterans arrive for OTAs.

And if he can crack the roster, he’ll have a chance to see up close the uniform his father starred in.

But if his father shows up wearing a star, he said not to be surprised.

“Daddy doesn’t care what the color of the jersey is as long as my son’s name is on the back,” Darrell said.

Jared’s far from a lock to even win a roster spot, though he does have a good measure of his father’s speed. And if he can make that last, he has a chance to make for some interesting choices of jerseys at family reunions.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
32 Responses to “Son of Redskins legend Darrell Green in Cowboys camp”
  1. romosmicrodongs says: May 20, 2013 12:18 PM

wish him the best! if he is half as fast as his father he’ll be good.

2. chalkruz1989 says: May 20, 2013 12:30 PM

Would have been nice to know where the younger Green went to college and what position he plays. Kind of odd that you didn’t mention either.

3. jayovalentine says: May 20, 2013 12:31 PM

I’m pulling for the kid. I’m a die hard Redskins fan.

4. askingwater says: May 20, 2013 12:33 PM

If your son keeps running his mouth, you can say goodbye to your bust on the PFT Redskins Mt. Rushmore, D. Green.

5. dangernearing says: May 20, 2013 12:38 PM

Actually my disdain of the Cowboys has existed forever. Thankfully

6. bobby2478 says: May 20, 2013 12:40 PM

His dad was one of the fastest players to ever play the game, so even if he only has a fraction of that speed, he’ll still be extremely fast.

7. blackqbwhiterb says: May 20, 2013 12:44 PM

I want to vomit, I really do, but hey, I guess if Jerrah wanted to write my son 6- and 7-figure checks……

It hurts us fans way more than it hurts Darrell, I’m sure, he never took that stuff seriously, in his own words, “Football’s just a means to an end”, and he used football as a springboard to do all sorts of great things in the community, etc. It pains me, but if it doesn’t pain him, how mad should we really be, I guess…………..

If the kid is good and real fast, why didn’t Shanahan and Allen give him a shot???????

8. woodrree7 says: May 20, 2013 12:47 PM

hey chalk, if you would read the article, it DID say that he pays WR. and that he spent last season on Carolina’s practice squad. must be a Deadskins fan….

9. angryamericancitizen says: May 20, 2013 12:50 PM

DG is a class guy and it seems a good father as well. His son will do well to try as hard as he can to emulate dad.

10. dacapt704 says: May 20, 2013 12:52 PM

You could also mention that he was in Panthers’ camp last year and made it til one of the final cuts…he looked good in the open practices, many here hoped he was going to make the team.

11. questforthesixthnotthelast2013 says: May 20, 2013 12:54 PM

Where’s all the, “he only got a shot cause his Dad is one of the best” people.
    Get real, hope he does good, was a fan of his dad, even though I’m a niners fan!

12. blacknole08 says: May 20, 2013 12:57 PM

I doubt he makes the team, but it is refreshing to see a young athlete like Green have a winner’s attitude.

It would suck if he did make the Cowboys or any other team though. Being a Panthers fan, we need all the receiving help we can get!

13. skins4me says: May 20, 2013 1:00 PM

Jared played at UVA befor moving on to another school.

Sorry Jared but most of us did not want to play for Dallas and the Star. If you did thats great. Im happy you have the chance.

14. hendawg21 says: May 20, 2013 1:24 PM

I think it’s a stretch to say every kid in th 90′s just wanted to play for Dallas just because they saw that star. I know many of my nephews and their friends hated the Cowboys then and even more now…

And as much as I like #28 trust me he pissed me off during his playing days as well, he covered up his inability to really cover by his speed and ability to run people down, and the occassional bad pass and or deflection.

On my final note if he couldn’t crack the starting lineup of the Panthers receivers what real chance does he think he have with the Cowboys?

15. rg3andthensome says: May 20, 2013 1:52 PM

Fine with me…But Green annoyed me with his overwhelming support of the Cowboys.

16. mykelane says: May 20, 2013 1:58 PM

hendawg21 says:
    May 20, 2013 1:24

—————————–

don’t point out the obvious. By doing so, you show the uselessness of this article.

17. bnwillard says: May 20, 2013 1:58 PM

Without Daddy, he’d never get near any NFL Team’s training camp.

18. hendawg21 says: May 20, 2013 1:59 PM

Now what will he say if the Cowboys cut him???

19. thirdistheworrd says: May 20, 2013 2:02 PM

chalkruz1989 says: May 20, 2013 12:30 PM

_____________________
    Southern University (FCS DI- SWAC), and WR. Although I agree it’s kind of odd, but this place is getting more and more about inflammatory puff pieces and less and less about actual news (especially when it comes to DC and Dallas– making this story the perfect storm)

20. thirdistheworrd says: May 20, 2013 2:06 PM

hendawg21 says: May 20, 2013 1:24 PM

__________________
    So how exactly does one “really cover” then? I was an all-district corner in high school, but clearly I must have been doing it wrong, because it was my understanding that when I covered somebody, I was supposed to run real fast and make sure they didn’t catch the ball. Running fast and deflecting is covering. If the quarterback doesn’t want to throw your receiver the ball, you are doing a good job. These are facts.

21. granadafan says: May 20, 2013 2:20 PM

We all had team(s) we cheered for as kids. However, anyone of us would gladly play for the “enemy” as long as we were given a shot to play in the NFL and the 6 or 7 figure contracts. When you’re a professional, there are no allegiances.

22. skinsfanwill says: May 20, 2013 2:49 PM

99% of the players are playing for a team that was NOT their favorite team as a child. Just like 99% of humans are not working their at their dream job. NFL Money is NFL money.

23. pepsilvia says: May 20, 2013 4:29 PM

I grew up in the 90s and hated the Cowboys.

24. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: May 20, 2013 4:42 PM

Jared’s comments will bring the Cowboy haters out by the droves.

25. douglasdfresh says: May 20, 2013 5:35 PM

Loved #28 and everything he did for the Redskins. Wish nothing but the best for his kid. Darrell has done SO MUCH for the DC fans and community that he should have our support no matter what (so long as he isn’t breaking any laws)….except for those 2 Sundays a year….

26. charge1 says: May 20, 2013 8:35 PM

If dg wears anything with a star on it he is dead to me.

27. bluebongzilla says: May 20, 2013 9:58 PM

Let’s not forget that the Redskins got the right to use their fight song “Hail to the Redskins” with the permission of the Cowboys’ first owner, Clint Murchison. Seems that astute businessman, George Preston Marshall, was not smart enough to secure the rights to the song before Murchison purchased it from Marshall’s estranged wife LOL

28. burnzido says: May 21, 2013 12:36 AM

Never once, did I ever, in my life, want to be a Dallas Cowboy. HTTR

29. twilson962 says: May 21, 2013 12:27 PM

Blasphemy

30. youknowwhatsgoodforshoulderpain says: May 21, 2013 12:50 PM

If he’s got his father’s drive, he’ll find a way to stick in Dallas.

31. orakpocalypse says: May 21, 2013 3:16 PM

I’m sure Darrel Green is a great father, but Michael Irvin poster on his wall? At some point you just have to realize you got cursed with a bad apple. Mr. Green should just cut his losses and disown the kid. Have another son and hope this one doesn’t come out so terrible.

32. the3taveren says: May 23, 2013 10:19 AM

I have an eleveen year old that is very tallented and probably won’t but may end up in the NFL. If he were to be drafted by the Cowgirls iI would root for him, not his team and twice a year I would root for his team to lose. I would never wear anything remotely related to that team in Texas and would go to his games wear street clothes or a Reskins jersey if they were playing the Skins.

If Darrell is ever seen in a Cowgirls jersey or hat, he is off my Redskins Mt Rushmore!
    By the way, mine right now are:
    Slinging Sammy
    Sonny J
    Joe Jackson Gibbs
    DGreen
    (the Hogs would replace Do Good if I ever see him wearing a star – they are close right now anyway)