Woody on Goodson: Jets about “truth, justice and the American way”

The Superman costume that was worn by Ch Getty Images

There’s a new Superman movie coming out this summer and Jets owner Woody Johnson appears to be in the spirit.

Johnson, who is at the league meetings in Boston, spoke to reporters on Monday about the arrest of running back Mike Goodson and said that the team was gathering information about the incident. Mike Garafolo of USA Today reports that he also attempted to reassure those worried about the image of the Jets by saying that the team is about “truth, justice and the American way.”

That’s also what the Man of Steel has devoted himself to depending for most of the last century. He’s had a lot more success in his endeavors than the Jets, especially if you leave Superman IV out of the discussion, but some may argue that kryptonite is an easier to overcome than Mark Sanchez.

Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com reports that Goodson was at the team’s facility as they started OTAs Monday but that he did not participate in the workout. There’s no timeline for how long the fact-finding will continue before the Jets might take any action.

Goodson was charged with five drug and gun counts last week after police responded to a 911 call about a car parked in on Route 80 in New Jersey. Goodson was not driving the car, but was charged with possession of under 50 grams of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia, unlawful possession of a handgun, possession of a loaded handgun and possession of hollow point ammunition.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
30 Responses to “Woody on Goodson: Jets about “truth, justice and the American way””
  1. rc33 says: May 20, 2013 2:19 PM

The old man is clearly losing it.
    Look for a Jimmy Olson signing soon.

2. niners816 says: May 20, 2013 2:20 PM

“Truth, justice and the american way.”
    I think I speak for most NFL fans in saying, hahahahahaha!

3. jeremywflores says: May 20, 2013 2:23 PM

This made my day. HAHAHAHAHA

4. micknangold says: May 20, 2013 2:24 PM

You guys love Rich Cimini. I hope realize that no one in New York with their head on straight takes him seriously.

5. antalicus says: May 20, 2013 2:24 PM

Superman couldn’t save the Jets.

6. snowman36 says: May 20, 2013 2:29 PM

Goodson is going to have 4 of 5 if not all charges dropped.

7. We need Bud Grant says: May 20, 2013 2:37 PM

I’m starting to think that they should contract the Jets like MLB threatened to do with the Minnesota Twins and then give LA a new team.

8. mungman69 says: May 20, 2013 2:43 PM

When there is nothing going on in the NFL you can always find something strange about the Jets.

9. commonsensedude says: May 20, 2013 2:51 PM

I’m not sure about Superman but Rex Ryan is definitely the Man of Meal.

10. andrewproughcfe says: May 20, 2013 2:53 PM

>”Goodson was not driving the car, but was charged with possession of under 50 grams of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia, unlawful possession of a handgun, possession of a loaded handgun and possession of hollow point ammunition.”

He’s just trying to play for the wrong team. I think there’s about a $50 fine for all of that in Colorado. In Texas, there’s probably no punishment at all as long as you say you are a Dallas Cowboy.

Go west, young man.

11. jamaltimore says: May 20, 2013 3:05 PM

What about FEET, Buttfumbles , making outlandish promises every year And Losing! I thought that was phrase on the first page of the Jets playbook!

12. ryann252013 says: May 20, 2013 3:10 PM

@Jamaltimore

That was seriously lame..

But I’m a JETS fan, and just shut up woody. You let the fans down.

13. bigjoe2269 says: May 20, 2013 3:11 PM

you do know that being charged with crimes isnt the same as being convicted – right – he was in the car with the gun it was not on his person and the same with the drugs – let the smoke clear and see what what. I only question his choice of friends to hang out with Im sure plenty of you have been with people that had drugs or guns on then at some time in you life and never even knew about it

14. ampats says: May 20, 2013 3:15 PM

Since Woody is in Boston,MA at the owners meeting, he should be careful not to head South on I 95 where at exit 9 he will find the Kryptonite housed inside a stadium called Gillette.

15. lrjets says: May 20, 2013 3:17 PM

jeremywflores says:May 20, 2013 2:23 PM

This made my day. HAHAHAHAHA

Gotta feel for jeremy.

16. desal2ds says: May 20, 2013 3:19 PM

Thank you Jets.

Sincerely,
    Saints fan

17. RexCanCoach says: May 20, 2013 3:25 PM

January 16, 2011 wasnt that long ago Ampats.

18. thejuddstir says: May 20, 2013 3:30 PM

What the hell with Woody Johnson know about “the American way”……..99% of us work our azzes off whereas Woody had everything handed to him….and he still screws it up.

19. onbucky96 says: May 20, 2013 3:50 PM

We know Crommartie is all about makin babies then not remembering their names on TV.

20. deltaoracle says: May 20, 2013 3:54 PM

Actually back about ten years or so when the stuff was coming out about the torture camps in Iraq I think DC changed Supe’s slogan to “Truth, justice, and freedom’s way” or something like that. Maybe they changed it back again, I dunno. And hey, I’m just the messenger here folks.

21. ampats says: May 20, 2013 3:54 PM

January 16, 2011 wasn’t that long ago Ampats.

True for Jets fans since that time the Jets have been swept the past two seasons and was the last time Jets fans had a glimmer of hope of being a successful franchise which no longer exists.

Even Fireman Ed has given up on the Jets!!!

22. deathspiralx says: May 20, 2013 4:26 PM

Since when did constantly running your mouth and then not delivering on it become the American way?

23. micknangold says: May 20, 2013 4:28 PM

@Ampats: I don’t think that kryptonite stopped the Jets from handling the Patriots in the playoffs in their own stadium. I guess Pats fans don’t realize the sweet, sweet irony of making fun of Sanchez- he flat outplayed Brady in Foxboro in the playoffs lol and before you go waving “your” rings in my face I’m a Yankees fan so I get more than my fill from them.

24. micknangold says: May 20, 2013 4:35 PM

pretty much everybody hated fireman ed and is glad he’s gone

25. thegreatgabbert says: May 20, 2013 4:42 PM

Mike just got tired of being the Goodson all the time. But as far as crime sprees go, five charges is a quiet evening at home for Titus Young.

26. rc33 says: May 20, 2013 5:35 PM

——————————–
    Well then, terrific. Certainly sounds like you have your QB of the future.
    By all means, run with the guy that’s outplaying Brady in Foxboro.

27. micknangold says: May 20, 2013 5:44 PM

I didn’t say anything about Sanchez going forward. Clearly he’s on his way out of NY.

28. lrjets says: May 20, 2013 5:57 PM

@ampats.

Had to answer your daily pearl of wisdom.
    The Pats-Jets entire history is 55-51-1. That would be including (as it should) the Brady years.
    So don’t act like it’s such a dominating history like the Yankees-Red Sox!

29. lrjets says: May 20, 2013 6:03 PM

ampats, Fireman Ed did NOT give up on the Jets. He was tired of getting harrassed wherever he went by obnoxious people. You can relate.
    To the latter.
    Facts are a pesky thing.

30. gohometrolls says: May 20, 2013 6:47 PM

Cimidiot has become a cancer to the jets in his biased and immature coverage of the Ny Jets, With that being said I’m sure the Jets did their homework on Goodson and decided to take a gamble that could be a homerun but before I or anyone say it was a mistake lets wait and see what the justice system decides .