Revis gets clearance to cut on new ACL

Revis AP

The wisdom of Tampa Bay’s trade for cornerback Darrelle Revis ultimately will be determined by the player’s performance in 2013 and beyond.  His performance in 2013 hinges on the performance of his surgically-repaired knee.

The good news for Revis and the Bucs (and the bad news for everyone they play) is that Revis now has clearance to cut and change directions.

“I feel very confident,” Revis tells Andrea Kremer of NFL Network in the latest installment of Health of the Game:  Project Revis.  “If Todd tells me to cut, I am cutting.  I am not trying to think about [it].”

Revis remains confident that he’ll return to the form that made him the best cornerback in the league.

“The first time I step out there, I’ll be fine,” Revis said.

Coach Greg Schiano hopes he’ll get Revis at 100 percent, but Schiano will settle for less.

“That’s how we’re planning. I mean, we have faith that he’s going to recover,” Schiano said.  “If it isn’t exactly that way right away, then we’ll adapt.  Eighty-five or 90 percent of Darrelle Revis is still better than most 100 percent other corners, right?”

He’s right.  But the 13th overall pick in the 2013 draft and a third-round pick (unless Revis is cut before next March) in 2014 will be hard to justify if he’s many percentage points below the maximum.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
16 Responses to “Revis gets clearance to cut on new ACL”
  1. lrjets says: May 21, 2013 9:21 PM

Jets should have kept him, Jets should have traded him…
    Jets should have kept him, Jets should have traded him…
    Jets should have kept him, Jets should have traded him…

2. mackcarrington says: May 21, 2013 9:32 PM

At first glance, I thought the headline meant that Revis could operate on his own knee.

3. raji1824 says: May 21, 2013 9:34 PM

I am a jet fan. Even though we traded him. There’s no doubt that he will be back 100% to go.

4. onermedboxer says: May 21, 2013 9:39 PM

This is promising. The next few weeks of practice and rehab will be as important as any.
    Take your time Mr. Revis

5. evilglazers666 says: May 21, 2013 9:40 PM

I’m going to have to cringe and turn my head when he cuts and tears it back up during a game. Can’t watch it! Hopefully he takes it easy. He won’t be able to move as fast without going back to IR.

6. tampamac says: May 21, 2013 9:44 PM

That’s good to hear, but still no reason to rush him back. Regular season is still nearly 4 months away. I couldn’t care less if he plays in preseason. I’d even take him missing the 1st couple of games if it ensured he’s 100%. There’s too much of an investment in him to fast track him.

7. giantsfan82 says: May 21, 2013 9:50 PM

I’m not sold on him being the best CB in the league.

8. raiderinva says: May 21, 2013 9:54 PM

Does anyone else have a little voice in the back of there head that keeps hinting that Nnamdi Awesomusha will once again become known as the best cornerback in the league?

9. bucfan702 says: May 21, 2013 10:20 PM

Revis will be okay, would have liked to see Ronde stay to cover those tight ends and his sneaky blitzing he did from time to time. If everyone stay healthy, we will make the playoffs. bucsfolife.

10. nyyjetsknicks says: May 21, 2013 10:48 PM

Insert Derrick Rose joke here.

11. nyyjetsknicks says: May 21, 2013 10:50 PM

raiderinva says:
    May 21, 2013 9:54 PM

______________

Is having a double digit IQ a requirement to be a Raiders fan or is it just a coincidence?

12. whosweetlou says: May 21, 2013 11:00 PM

Nope…. You need to get those voices checked out by a psychologist raiderinva. Btw its joe hadens year

13. buccaboo says: May 21, 2013 11:11 PM

Take your time Darrelle and thank you for working so hard to get back!

14. tralfaz1127 says: May 21, 2013 11:13 PM

If he stays healthy 2013 will be an average year at best. Year 2 he could be back to ethereal he was, but the amazing advances in ACL surgery have shown that players that rely on speed and agility can come back quicker but aren’t the same right away. Jets got a sweet deal on an injured superstar, the Bucs will get one 2014 and on if he heals . Good luck to a great player.

15. tralfaz1127 says: May 21, 2013 11:16 PM

Sorry the real got changed to ethereal by spellcheck, what the hell is that. Genius comment.

16. mobuccsfan says: May 22, 2013 8:53 AM

They would be dumb to rush him and he would be dumb to rush back. I agree…sit out preseason (it doesn’t matter anyways) and even the first game or two if need be. Him playing at 85 to 90 percent would be okay but what if he re-injures (not that he couldn’t at 100 percent down the road) but I’d rather not take any chances and him be lost for the season.