Dez Bryant: I found myself

Dez Bryant, DeAngelo Hall AP

You hear about players having breakout seasons all the time, but you rarely hear anyone talk about someone having a breakout offseason.

Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant had a breakout season in 2012. After two years of inconsistent performances and injuries, Bryant played in all 16 games for the Cowboys and turned in 92 catches for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns. Those were the kind of numbers that the team hoped to see when they took Bryant in the first round of the 2010 draft and numbers they likely worried about seeing after a chaotic offseason that culminated with an arrest for allegedly hitting his own mother.

Just as things came together for Bryant on the field last season, they seem to have come together for him off of it this year. Bryant’s name has only come up when people are talking about how focused he’s been on football and how much he’s grown up since the start of last season. Bryant took some time Tuesday to talk about his changed approach.

“I found myself,” Bryant said, via ESPNDallas.com. “I’m comfortable with my life. I’m enjoying being in the NFL. I wish it could’ve been a couple years back, but I had to go through a couple of things to figure it out. I think I got it and I’m just more focused on my job and doing what I love to do and that’s playing football.”

After Bryant’s arrest last summer, there was a lot of talk about a set of behavioral guidelines that Bryant had to follow to remain a member of the Cowboys. The Cowboys denied putting them in place, but owner Jerry Jones said Bryant had to change his lifestyle to stay in Dallas. One doesn’t count their chickens before they hatch, so we’ll say only that all those efforts have paid off to this point and produced the best Bryant we’ve seen on and off the field since he entered the NFL.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Dez Bryant: I found myself”
  1. joetoronto says: May 22, 2013 7:46 AM

“Dez Bryant: I found myself”

Don’t pull it too hard, Dez.

2. rodge1 says: May 22, 2013 8:00 AM

Great, that he found himself. Now if someone could just find Romo they might have a chance. Oh never mind, Jerry Jones is still there.

3. darocnessmonsta says: May 22, 2013 8:01 AM

Im sure you Dallas Haters will find away to make a joke out of something positive instead of congradulating the man on turning his life around not to mention the thing he did wasnt the end the world compared to other NFL Players I.E. Kenny Britt Good job Dez Continue to Grow as A person First then NFL Star hands down will be in Top 3 Wr’s this year

4. Iknoweverything says: May 22, 2013 8:05 AM

How did he get lost when he must have seen himself in the mirror millions of times over the years.
    BTW, prisons are full of people who have ” found” themselves Dez so you aint fooling me.

Dez Bryant…..guy is so damn good, makes you want to slap ur mama!

5. ccjcsr says: May 22, 2013 8:13 AM

Beast!

6. cowboy4life29 says: May 22, 2013 8:19 AM

Good deal! Dez is gonna be a beast this year! GO COWBOYS!

7. floratiotime says: May 22, 2013 8:22 AM

Next he can check his drivers license and find out his addess.

8. mrpresident2 says: May 22, 2013 8:27 AM

I don’t like the Cowboys, but good for Dez. He can be a special player in this league for a long time.

9. paulsmith107 says: May 22, 2013 8:28 AM

Good the hatters are out in force. It’s so good to be a fan of America’s team and know you’ve really accomplished nothing in the past 17 years but people still hate like you’ve won 10 superbowls. This season we give the hatters something to really hate.

10. goawayeverybody says: May 22, 2013 8:40 AM

Don’t worry, Dez will “lose himself” again in the not too distant future.

11. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: May 22, 2013 8:40 AM

Cool. Always like hearing about men improving their lives and accepting their role as a worker among workers. Humility can take you a long way on and off the field.

12. welandedonthemoon says: May 22, 2013 8:43 AM

Dez is an elite WR. Just watch him play and its obvious. He had a strong season and battled through injuries. If he comes into this season healthy and more determined we might be debating if he is the best WR in the NFL.

13. zaggs says: May 22, 2013 8:50 AM

And now he has someone to play with.

14. cowpiesnotcowboys says: May 22, 2013 8:56 AM

“My babysitter lost me and I had to find my way home all by myself!”

15. fuzzebear says: May 22, 2013 9:19 AM

As a die-hard Cowboy fan at about week 5 last season I was screaming for the Cowboys to trade him. The drops, injuries and dissappearing in the 4th quarter was too much for me to take.

Then between week 6-8 something happned. He saw God or something becasue he did a 360 and turned into Calvin Friggin Johnson. I’ve never seen a turn around like it.

I can only hope it wasn’t a fluke and he keeps it up in 2013.

16. cowboys8819 says: May 22, 2013 9:38 AM

As a Cowboys fan I’m really glad to hear this story.

17. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: May 22, 2013 9:52 AM

The Cowboys have invested a lot into keeping Dez out of trouble.

Perhaps now he is matruing and realizing that he has an incredible opportunity in the NFL but it can be taken away very quickly.

18. mrphatal says: May 22, 2013 9:54 AM

paulsmith107 says: May 22, 2013 8:28 AM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Glad to see the Cowboys have a strong following of hat makers as well as a vocabulary..

19. mobuccsfan says: May 22, 2013 10:04 AM

Let’s calm down people…he isn’t Calvin Freaking Johnson–not yet. Does he have the potential and the tools, sure he does. He has to keep it up, what he ended with last season and be sure to stay out of trouble. I am glad he found himself. I can’t recall if I ever lost myself but to each their own I guess.

20. gammynomnom says: May 22, 2013 10:52 AM

Bless you Dez and all your efforts to be a great man.

Let the haters hate, if they aint hating on you they are hating themselves anyway.

You can be a great one in this game and a great one in life and there are plenty of people who believe in you.

21. mazblast says: May 22, 2013 11:57 AM

He’s found himself. I’m so glad for him. Most guys and gals “find themselves” without being such public idiots and without slapping their mothers around. Maybe he should get some award for not being such a public jerk. He gets a cookie.

However, as long as he has Oh-No Romo throwing him the ball, or at least heaving the ball in his general direction, it won’t matter much. Look at Calvin Johnson as an example–if the rest of the team isn’t good, no WR can lift the team to contention.

22. larrydavid7000 says: May 22, 2013 1:02 PM

I did not know that you were lost? I did not see your face on a milk cart. But that’s OK because number 23 will find you and he will continue to embarrass you and 23 will pick up from where he last saw you. I believe that was during a BEAT DOWN in our Nations Capital. HTTR.!!!!!!!!!!

23. haterville says: May 23, 2013 9:21 PM