Geno Smith signs with Jay-Z’s firm

Jay-Z Signs Copies Of "Decoded" Getty Images

As expected, Geno Smith is now a member of Roc Nation, but he insists it’s not a sign of looking for the biggest splash.

The Jets rookie quarterback said Tuesday he hired the firm headed by rap mogul Jay-Z. Agent Kim Miale, who represents two inactive players who have never played an NFL game, will handle his contract negotiations.

“I think it’s just his agency,” Smith said, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “When you talk about being in New York from a standpoint of what they can do in the city, the connections that they have, I think it’s a good move. My mother and my family were comfortable with it. I’m comfortable with it. . . .

“I’m just going to move on from there. It’s not going to be a big deal and just remain humble and keep focusing on football.”

It would seem that he might have gone with one of the agents who has actually negotiated an NFL contract if that was his goal, but that didn’t happen.

Smith insisted, as he’s had to since being ripped throughout the pre- and post-draft process, that his image was “not that important to me honestly.”

“The only thing that’s important to be is the image that is perceived around this locker room, the guy that I am to my teammates, to my coaches and the work that I put in on the football field,” Smith said. “I’m all about football. I’m all about getting better and that’s the one thing that I’m focused on: Better myself daily and prepare myself to be there when the time comes. . . .

“I don’t worry about the outside world’s perception. I’m comfortable with who I am, strong in my faith. I know that this isn’t because of an image thing or trying to market myself. It’s just being comfortable with the guys who’s going to represent me. That’s ultimately why I made that decision.”

The move is going to cause howling within the agent community, considering the appearance that Jay Z is effectively his own runner. Then again, the agent community howls a lot anyway.

Permalink 89 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
89 Responses to “Geno Smith signs with Jay-Z’s firm”
  1. rc33 says: May 22, 2013 1:42 PM

Does he get a Bentley now?

2. DonRSD says: May 22, 2013 1:45 PM

My man HOVA – dude conquers anything he touches.
    He has never been an agent and already taking over the industry.

Screw those old 65-70 year old agents, its time for some new blood & Jay is that.

3. demolition510 says: May 22, 2013 1:45 PM

Something stinks bout this Geno kid.

4. amanistumor says: May 22, 2013 1:46 PM

Seems like the mature thing to do….. Not!

5. jbholcom says: May 22, 2013 1:48 PM

Former Chiefs running back Larry Johnson spent a lot of time with Jay-Z. How did that work out for him? Geno is going down that same path.

6. kd75 says: May 22, 2013 1:49 PM

VIP table at the 40/40 club…

7. diabetic1010 says: May 22, 2013 1:49 PM

So apparently “oh I like his songs” is good enough for athletes to leave their professional careers in this guy’s hands…..

Who said football players weren’t smart?

8. ninerfan81 says: May 22, 2013 1:50 PM

This might be a good look for your first rookie deal thats probably 80% done just due to the fact that the last collective bargaining agreement slotted this money firmly. She can use the deal from a prior year as a template. However, you might want to get a tenured agent IF he makes it to his second contract. Also, given the fact that Geno’s a QB, he may be in line for a premium deal within that slot, a young agent probably WON’T have the rep to pull this off.

9. alohapatriots says: May 22, 2013 1:50 PM

Jay Z is not the agent that handles the contract negotiations. The article makes it sound like Jay z is gonna pull a MasterP/Ricky Williams incentive laden contract negotiation.

10. nfloracle says: May 22, 2013 1:51 PM

Let’s see how long it takes Cam Newton to jump over to Jay-Z.

Cam’s in deep danger of Geno beating him to cultural icon status, and it’s going to take more than a new clothing line to overcome the lead Geno’s taking in free publicity so far this spring.

Too much ME involved here, Geno. Way too much.

It sure looks like the Jets’ Circus now has the summer opening act.

11. thechronicjoker says: May 22, 2013 1:51 PM

Add another ring to the circus.

12. mtchainsmoker says: May 22, 2013 1:52 PM

In related news, ESPN reports that Mark Sanchez threw three INT’s in practice.

13. rc33 says: May 22, 2013 1:52 PM

signing Geno Smith = conquering anything he touches?
    Let that marinate for a moment.

14. benwaballs11 says: May 22, 2013 1:53 PM

Why not just hire Master P.?

15. seatownballers says: May 22, 2013 1:54 PM

A mistake in my opinion. He’ll be making commercials and doing public appearances instead of being in the film room

16. buccaneerjeremy says: May 22, 2013 1:55 PM

Why can’t he just be honest & say “It’s Jay Z, of course I signed with him. I look up to the guy & he’s someone I would love to be like.” I mean Master P back in the day showed they all know how to handle a contract for an athlete.

A smart move would have been to look who has handled his business with true skill not 2 inactive players & someone learning the ropes. If you wanted to be taken seriously Geno you would have been serious about the decision & not jumped at the attempt thru Jay Z.

17. hedleykow says: May 22, 2013 1:57 PM

The glasses are a good look on Gino. His agent would be doing Gino a real service, though, by letting him no there is no Grammy Award for best mouth breather.

18. andrewproughcfe says: May 22, 2013 1:57 PM

Wait a minute – this is the team that ripped Tim Tebow???

Holy smokes. Good luck with this guy, New York. I don’t want to say you deserve each other, but if the shoe fits…

19. ozymandias121 says: May 22, 2013 1:57 PM

He should stick to making mediocre and repetitive music.

20. vaster says: May 22, 2013 1:57 PM

His old agents are laughing right now….

…. but they’ll be crying in a few years.

21. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: May 22, 2013 1:57 PM

Perfectly logical. Man with a proven tendancy to pout when things get tough as well as a false sense of entitlement signs with a mega-ego agent who will fill his head with more entitlement. Based on Jay-Z’s role in the Cruz fiasco, this makes perfect sense if you’re delusional!

Epic fail

22. jtylert says: May 22, 2013 1:58 PM

He can get a table at Dorsia now.

23. ddavis83 says: May 22, 2013 1:59 PM

Thank god for the rookie wage scale.

24. elmustardo says: May 22, 2013 1:59 PM

Lol. The Jets are a joke at this point. If any NYJ fans think this kid is going to lead them to the promised land, you’ve got another thing coming.

Thank god we’ve got the historical Jets back.

25. twilson962 says: May 22, 2013 2:00 PM

Nothing surprising about that. Hope it works out for the both of them. (seriously I do)

I just don’t think Geno’s going to be very good.

26. leftyman says: May 22, 2013 2:00 PM

“All my ballers that’s born to clock
    Now Imma be on top whether I perform or not”

27. qdog112 says: May 22, 2013 2:01 PM

Good for Geno. It’s time for some new blood in pro sports agency. Share the wealth.

Quite a coup for J-Z.

28. surfinbird1 says: May 22, 2013 2:02 PM

OK,great! That’s a rap.

29. ampats says: May 22, 2013 2:03 PM

This comment tells the story:”When you talk about being in New York from a standpoint of what they can do in the city and the connections they have, I think it is a good move.

Sounds like someone who is more interested in his endorsements than winning games.

30. classyjacklambert says: May 22, 2013 2:04 PM

“Smith said the presence of Jay-Z played “not that big of a role,” in his decision, and he’ll have to pardon us since exactly no one in the world believes that.”

Funniest, most accurate line ever written on PFT

31. bmoreravens1012013 says: May 22, 2013 2:05 PM

I just wish musicians and actors would keep their grubby hands out of my football. That statement by Gino sounded like a bunch of b.s. If it were some guy named “Ray-Z ” , he wouldnt even be having this discussion. I hope he does well on the field , but the more he is in front of cameras , the more I have doubt.

32. mackcarrington says: May 22, 2013 2:08 PM

Oh, great. Now we have to endure constant camera shots of Jay-Z and Beyonce sitting in the luxury box at the stadium.
    @ hedleykow: That’s not Geno with the glasses in the picture. That’s Jay-Z.

33. sportnman says: May 22, 2013 2:08 PM

Is Rosenhaus really any better???

34. andrewproughcfe says: May 22, 2013 2:10 PM

Geno is doing the impossible — making Sanchez look like a pretty acceptable starter.

35. nyyjetsknicks says: May 22, 2013 2:13 PM

mtchainsmoker says:
    May 22, 2013 1:52 PM
    In related news, ESPN reports that Mark Sanchez threw three INT’s in practice.

______________

But zero butt fumbles. Success!

36. checkitd0wn says: May 22, 2013 2:15 PM

Great. Now all the uptight geeks who want to tear down this young for insignificant reasons have another insignificant reason. Yay!!!!!

37. onbucky96 says: May 22, 2013 2:22 PM

I call…SHENNANAGINS! Of course, what can the NFLPA do about it.

38. hedleykow says: May 22, 2013 2:23 PM

@mackcarrington: my bad. I don’t get out much.

39. honkerdawg says: May 22, 2013 2:24 PM

Give him a year or so and he’ll be out of the league – LOSER!

40. 1rockyracoon says: May 22, 2013 2:25 PM

Choice A: proven agent–years of experience negotiating NFL
    contracts
    Or
    Choice B: no experience at all,but works for a rapper who has no
    experience negotiating NFL contracts

Wow! Something tells me that the Jets and Geno Smith are a perfect match. Can’t wait to see that team fall apart again. I am so glad the team I root for didn’t pick this guy. Definitely going to be high maintenance.

However, we may be wrong. Probably not. Don’t you remember when Master P was a sports agent and he negotiated a horrible contract for Ricky Williams?

41. vaster says: May 22, 2013 2:30 PM

@checkitdown

Haters gonna hate

42. bigj7769 says: May 22, 2013 2:35 PM

43. mykelane says: May 22, 2013 2:36 PM

TD celebration #1 = throw up the ROC symbol

44. ryann252013 says: May 22, 2013 2:39 PM

Some of you people are ridiculous.

For example: HE HIRED AN AGENT!!!! HES GONNA BUST!!!!! DIVA!!

45. alexb1234 says: May 22, 2013 2:40 PM

It’s amazing how some people can’t wait to hate on Geno Smith….the guy hasn’t played a down yet and he’s already a bust? Stop it…

If there is anybody who can teach a young black kid to be a man it is Jay-Z who came from the projects and is worth damn near a billion dollars AND that is not just because he made a “few songs”….Jay-Z is a business man first and a rapper second…

This is the best thing Geno Smith could have ever done for his career off the field….now on the field that remains to be seen

46. qdog112 says: May 22, 2013 2:42 PM

Geno won’t be involved in your contract, why should you be involved in his? Get over it!!!

I wanna see more minority involvement in the business side of things. That’s progress.

Status quo – move over!!!

47. japmen says: May 22, 2013 2:43 PM

Sanchez part 2. Glad to see it. The Jets have been horrible for most of 40+ years. Why change a working formula?

48. alexb1234 says: May 22, 2013 2:44 PM

“I’m not a business man, I’m a BUSINESS maaan, let me handle my buisness…damn” – Jay-Z

49. ilovefoolsball says: May 22, 2013 2:44 PM

This should end well.

50. spedman24 says: May 22, 2013 2:45 PM

Love all the giants fans trying to make a joke out of this while their 2 best receivers are holding out…while the system player (Cruz) who wants to get way more than he is worth, just signed w/JayZ’s group a couple weeks ago. Btw, a lot of the actual agents (JayZ isn’t one of them), are very reputable agents who have been in the league for a long long time. Know your facts losers.

51. jacunn2000 says: May 22, 2013 2:46 PM

Wow, how can he quite possibly set himself up to be a bigger bust?? Who is advising this kid?? I was on the fence before, but now I actually want to see this diva fail.

52. crazycane says: May 22, 2013 2:48 PM

When keepin it real goes wrong

53. patfic15 says: May 22, 2013 2:50 PM

Nope. Jay is just a product of the times. No offense, but his music sucks. He made a ton of money off tasteless music and white kids who wanted to be allowed into the urban culture movement of the late 90s early 2000s. Granted I like some of his work but let’s not pretend he’s a genius…hes protected. Beyonce is the female Jay Z.

54. indianajet says: May 22, 2013 2:54 PM

The agency represents more than just the two “inactive” players mentioned.

Robinson Cano and Victor Cruz are also repped.

I guess those guys are clowns too?

55. jetsjetsjetsnow says: May 22, 2013 2:55 PM

Sounds like Geno over the last couple weeks has taken a crash course in learning the professional football & media lingo… dare I say it from A to ‘Z’.

More power to the kid! Hope he’s very successful on on fronts!

Getting an inexperienced negotiator is suspect of course that is if Cough.. Cough.. someone with the last letter in the alphabet is his name is really behind the scenes pulling the strings.

56. toon884life says: May 22, 2013 3:02 PM

How can you rip Geno after reading what he said? He sounds like a humble kid. I have not detected one iota if arrogance or diva like behavior, yet alls everyone does is tear him apart!! You do know that JayZs business has qualified agents working for them, no? You do know that professional Athletes have gone to JayZ, for business advice for years…that where he got idea to start business? I’ll take the word if Dilfer and Jaws who both rave about him, over you Jets haters

57. toon884life says: May 22, 2013 3:11 PM

name one ‘diva’ thing he’s done???? I so set if any of this Geno bashing is all because he’s a Jet…or if there isn’t some racial reasons behind it. All I hear is diva this punk that…this kid graduated in 3 years!!! Wasn’t a one year wonder!!! Calls the plays for a comex iffense at the line! threw 7, 7 and 6 INTs in last 3 yeears…Went to Dilfers qb camp as a Counselor, and was the only college quarterback that showed up to help the HS kids,that had the playbook mastered on first day!!! Dilfer said he was shocked, because they army required to do that, and that Geno spent the week teaching the playbook alongside him! Not Barkley, not Nassib, not Manuel…only Geno!!! Again, where’s the diva behavior??????

58. packerbackernj says: May 22, 2013 3:16 PM

Guy sold crap to a “culture” that loves buying crap, more so then paying bills. Jay-Z a genius? Hardly. Opportunistic? Extremely. All it takes is money to open a sports agency and hire a fleet of sports agents to do the work. He has a lot of money.

59. rc33 says: May 22, 2013 3:21 PM

Jay Z looks perplexed in that picture, like he’s reading Curious George or something.

60. ososrule says: May 22, 2013 3:26 PM

2 clowns, perfect match! What a joke…

61. thirdistheworrd says: May 22, 2013 3:34 PM

I bought a Microsoft computer one time, but some Asian kid sold it to me, not Bill Gates. Jay z is not going to be representing anyone. Startups need multimillionaires to pay the overhead, take care of hiring and real estate and whatnot, but that’s the extent of his involvement.

That’s not a defense of the quality of hov’s firm or geno’s decision-making; just that it’s stupid to criticize under the asdumption that jay z himself will be representing geno Smith, and the simple fact is that, while he is not a contract lawyer and is not capable of actually representing an athlete, he is a very capable businessman and is more than capable of running a very successful firm.

More importantly, his brand standing behind the label will be an extremely effective recruiting tool for up and coming athletes, just like having a “cool” coach like calipari or motta is a more effective recruiting tool than having an older “boring” coach.

62. hedleykow says: May 22, 2013 3:37 PM

Geno & Tebow

Throw in some Jay-Z and some Je-Sus and we have ourselves the next ever-lamest reality show to never be produced.

63. tory707 says: May 22, 2013 3:40 PM

Another dope. I forget the guys name that gave him bad grades before the draft but he was spot on. Same with Cam Newton. Guy will be broke in 2 years. They think going with guys like jz and master p will take care of them. They are in it for themselves. And that is a rap!!!

64. whatjusthapped says: May 22, 2013 3:42 PM

What’s the over/under on this kid lasting 3 years in the NFL? On a normal team, his chances would be worse but even a joke of a franchise like the Jets can’t wait around forever just because they wasted a high draft pick on him. And I am talking about Geno, not Sanchez.

65. lrjets says: May 22, 2013 3:42 PM

@packerbackernj

Did you live in Green Bay and moved to Jersey, or did you bandwagon?

I’ll bet the latter .

66. mrbigass says: May 22, 2013 3:46 PM

Who didn’t see this coming?

If Weeno wants to be successful in the NFL then by all means he should hire an agency that has had long term success representing real NFL stars with long careers and contracts to match………oh, wait…….

67. 4greatestvikingever says: May 22, 2013 3:52 PM

How do you spell Geno Smith? BUST

68. tory707 says: May 22, 2013 3:53 PM

Doesn’t JZ look like Mushmouth from fat Albert cartoon?

69. harrisonhits2 says: May 22, 2013 3:53 PM

“Geno Smith is now a member of Roc Nation, but he insists it’s not a sign of looking for the biggest splash.”
    ______________________

So he fires his agent for not being taken number 1 overall in the draft, yet he doesn’t want to make the “biggest splash”.

Yeah right.

If you believe that I’ve got several bridges I’ll be happy to sell you.

70. mogogo1 says: May 22, 2013 3:55 PM

I think lawsuits against Jay-Z by his clients are inevitable. They’re all going to have sky-high expectations which he’ll be happy to feed, and they’ll blame him when their unrealistic expectations aren’t met. And that’s assuming Jay-Z hires quality people and actually fully commits to being an agent. If he treats it like a hobby, expecting everything to work out because he’s Jay-Z, it’s going to be far uglier.

71. sanitytrek says: May 22, 2013 3:58 PM

This kids decision making skills are without a doubt questionable.

Buffalo dodged a bullet by passing on him in the first round for E.J. Manual!!!!!!!

72. nyg201 says: May 22, 2013 3:59 PM

Love reading all the comments left by the haters.

Jay-Z has been pretty successful so far: Robinson Cano, Victor Cruz, and now Geno Smith.

73. shaunypoo says: May 22, 2013 4:04 PM

Another in a long line of questionable decisions. Good luck Jets.

74. thesteelers says: May 22, 2013 4:06 PM

Did he just say “try to stay humble”? As if he was humble to begin with…

75. channer81 says: May 22, 2013 4:07 PM

Geno might be the first rookie to get booed the first time he steps on the field.

I’ll hold judgment on the Jay-Z firm cause we don’t know too much about them, excepts Victor Cruz almost signed with them.

But man Geno is making all the moves that just put him in a bad light. Course all can be forgiven if he performs on the field

76. tones71 says: May 22, 2013 4:09 PM

Another mistake buddy. Ever heard about Master P and Ricky Williams?

77. granadafan says: May 22, 2013 4:10 PM

“bigj7769 says: May 22, 2013 2:35 PM
    It’s hilarious people doubt the business decisions and moves Jay-Z has made. The man is worth over $500million and is married to Beyonce!! He OBVIOUSLY knows what he’s doing!!”
    =============================================

Yeah, he knows how to sell entertainment to urban teens and wannabe white kids. It’s quite a different thing to negotiate with crusty old white
    men who have been negotiating their whole lives.

78. nyg201 says: May 22, 2013 4:19 PM

Rookie wage scale = barely nothing to negoitate besides singing bonus.

79. dvdman123 says: May 22, 2013 4:27 PM

Does he get a record deal too?

80. jetstizzi85 says: May 22, 2013 4:33 PM

HAHAHA these haters are crazy! So because he signs with a company owned by Jay-Z he instantly becomes a ME person?

Jay-Z will NOT be the agent! He just owns the company! Jay-Z CAN NOT negotiate player contracts.

Also, what is so wrong about Jay-Z owning the company? The man is just trying to do more in life and having a few young talented players signed to his agency isnt a bad thing. You all just wish you could be in such a position – which explains the hate

81. larrydavid7000 says: May 22, 2013 4:35 PM

2 punks that deserve each other.

82. bowden5000 says: May 22, 2013 4:43 PM

This was as predictable as Miami not receiving a superbowl after not getting public funding. This kid is a wanna be!!!

83. mrpresident2 says: May 22, 2013 4:47 PM

What an idiot

84. rubicon202 says: May 22, 2013 4:50 PM

Jay likes Trannies…the ROC has new meaning now.

85. markchmurasbabysitter says: May 22, 2013 4:51 PM

#YOLO #SWAG #HATERSGONNHATE

86. damcmp says: May 22, 2013 4:56 PM

another idiot had a bebop boogy boy negotiate his contract….Ricky Willliams….. a years supply of Marijuana and a bag of M&M’s it was a JOKE!!!!

87. johnnyb216 says: May 22, 2013 7:51 PM

Okay. The guy has finally made a solid decision. Can we all get off his back now?

88. tebowislife says: May 22, 2013 8:17 PM

Geno Smith amazes me. Every time in the fast few months he has had to make a PR decision he makes the wrong choice. And people really wonder why so many think he will be a bust? I hope he does well but his decision making off the field doesn’t make me think his decision making on the field will be much better.

89. latenightroach says: May 22, 2013 9:02 PM

This could be a wise decision on his behalf to plan ahead for his post NFL career.