Peyton Manning “flattered” Cowboys want Romo to emulate him

Denver Broncos Manning is congratulated by Fox and McCoy in their NFL football game against the Pittsburgh Steelers in Denver Reuters

In one of his many comments about the role he wants quarterback Tony Romo to play for the Cowboys, owner Jerry Jones invoked the name of another NFL quarterback.

Jones said that he wants Romo to spend “Peyton Manning-type time on the job” watching film and breaking down game plans to get better results in the 2013 season. Word of that request has made its way back to Manning and the Broncos quarterback told Lindsay Jones of USA Today that he’s “flattered” to be held up as the gold standard for quarterback preparation. That said, Manning doesn’t feel like he does anything more than what’s required for him to put forth the best performance every week.

“I don’t think that I do any more than any quarterback should. I get asked, ‘How much film do you watch?’ I’ve never logged hours. I’ve always watched enough to get myself ready to play,” Manning said. “The cerebral part of the game has always been something where I had to get my edge. I really study the opponent, study myself, study my own players, my own routes.”

It’s impossible to quantify how much of Manning’s success over the years is due to film study as opposed to his own natural ability, but there’s little doubt that he’s maximized the return on both things with both the Colts and the Broncos. Romo may have done the same thing, but that probably doesn’t matter much when the guy signing your checks wants to see you doing more.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Peyton Manning “flattered” Cowboys want Romo to emulate him”
  1. cliverush says: May 22, 2013 2:51 PM

Payton stayed in school at Tenn. to help his team win a National Championship instead of leaving for the NFL and the money. He is a player who opponents have always respected for his ability to lead his team. Romo needs to get off the golf course if he wants be like Manning. Poor Tony, he is stuck in a position where the expectation will never be matched by his ability.

2. therealbleedcoltsblue says: May 22, 2013 2:52 PM

Wait a minute, doesn’t Romo ALREADY suck in the playoffs?

Well, if the goal is to make him EVEN LESS effective in the games that matter, Peyton Manning IS the guy to watch.

Go Colts!!!!

3. logicalvoicesays says: May 22, 2013 2:56 PM

Robert Griffin is the best QB in the sport and it’s not even close. #TheRG3Era

4. yarnadroj says: May 22, 2013 2:59 PM

The key in Manning’s quote is use of the word “should” instead of “does”.

Regardless of what you think of him, where he ranks, etc., there is no logical argument to be made that he doesn’t prepare like a demon and Tony Romo (or any other QB that has failed to reach their potential) would be well advised to try to emulate him.

5. onereasonableman says: May 22, 2013 3:01 PM

Sometimes I wonder if he doesn’t overachieve because of his tremendous work ethic.

Then I wonder if things break down for him when he can’t be so prepared.

I can’t understand how he threw that interception in the playoff game against the Ravens. I thought the first rule was not to throw across your shoulder back into the middle. I know everyone makes mistakes, but how does HE make THAT mistake???

Quite ironically, isn’t Romo’s best asset his ability to improvise? So perhaps that is his gift, but it doesn’t sound like he is going to bust it to break down film.

6. g2-273b06e6023fe7fd35955921d3947d95 says: May 22, 2013 3:13 PM

cliverush: Peyton didn’t win the title though did he? Tee Martin did the next year. Teams win football championships, not individual players. Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson have as many Super Bowl rings as Peyton and one more than Romo. When this Cowboys team gets better they will have more success. Unfortunately Jerruh is in the way of achieving that success consistently and soon.

7. khmerson562 says: May 22, 2013 3:14 PM

RG3 the next Mike Vick injury prone.

8. milkmandanimal says: May 22, 2013 3:15 PM

Yes, because it’s so shocking that a team would want their QB to emulate Peyton Manning.

9. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: May 22, 2013 3:19 PM

Romo already has the post season choke down pat.

10. dalcow4 says: May 22, 2013 3:20 PM

I always root against Manning and think he’s not at the same level of Brady and Rodgers. But the one thing he brings to the table more than anyone else is just plain hard work.

Back when he was officially drafted, he was already working at home on the playbook and film for the Colts.

Conversely, Ryan Leaf, flying from the draft NY to San Diego to be introduced to the media and fans, STOPPED IN VEGAS to party all night, arriving bleary-eyed and worn out.

Romo, though not a bad guy whatsoever, leans a little more Leaf than Manning in the commitment department, which is a shame because he is pretty talented– though not as talented as Ryan Leaf.

11. 4thquartermagic says: May 22, 2013 3:30 PM

dalcow4 says:
    May 22, 2013 3:20 PM
    __________________________________

Not at the same level because?…..

Oh he only has one Superbowl. Ok then.

That cancels out all the record breaking performances he has.

12. 4greatestvikingever says: May 22, 2013 3:57 PM

So is Romo having forehead lengthening surgery?

13. commonsensedude says: May 22, 2013 4:12 PM

I am a huge fan of Peyton Manning and think he’s one of the greatest of all time.

But Romo should be flattered that Manning tried to imitate him for a short time last year. The interception during the Ravens playoff game, so unlike Manning, must have been a tribute to Tony Romo.

14. MichaelWrites says: May 22, 2013 4:28 PM

First, we have to double Romo’s IQ.

15. bleedcoltsblue says: May 22, 2013 4:39 PM

Greatest to play the game.

Any Colts fan that bashes him didn’t deserve the 13 years he spent there.

Without him, Indy doesn’t have the Colts.

Of course the fraud known as therealbleedcoltsblue has been spreading racial hatred for Manning for years.

I guess you are crying about Luck over RGIII too right bubba?

16. onlysane1intheroom says: May 22, 2013 4:51 PM

4thquartermagic says:May 22, 2013 3:30 PM

dalcow4 says:
    May 22, 2013 3:20 PM
    __________________________________

Not at the same level because?…..

Oh he only has one Superbowl. Ok then.

That cancels out all the record breaking performances he has.

—————————————————-

Please explain. I know he has 3 regular season MVP’s…I’m struggling to recall record breaking performances he may have had that haven’t been subsequently broken.

17. dallas39475 says: May 22, 2013 4:57 PM

TONY ROMO
    Will get the job done this year ! cowboys superbowl bound .

18. jerrysglassescleaner says: May 22, 2013 9:22 PM

He is more flattered that a great man like Jerry Jones would even mention his name.

19. mythaimyke says: May 22, 2013 10:29 PM

Romo couldn’t carry MANNINGS jock strap!