Ernie Accorsi not convinced Brian Urlacher is a Hall of Famer

Brian Urlacher AP

Almost every article that has been published in the 24 hours since Brian Urlacher announced his retirement has included the words “future Hall of Famer.” But one veteran NFL personnel man says he’s not so sure about that.

Former Colts and Giants G.M. Ernie Accorsi said on SiriusXM’s Mad Dog Radio that he isn’t convinced Urlacher is a sure-thing lock for Canton.

“I think he’s a borderline Hall of Famer,” Accorsi said. “I don’t know that he’s a definite Hall of Famer. I think there is a host of them, like Willie Lanier, that were dominant players. He was good, but I wouldn’t put him in that level.”

Asked if he’d put the “guaranteed Hall of Famer” label on Urlacher, Accorsi said he wouldn’t. Instead, Accorsi said, Urlacher was a somewhat limited player who doesn’t deserve to be mentioned among the all-time greats.

“I definitely wouldn’t,” Accorsi said. “That’s my opinion. I don’t think he’s a guarantee. I mean, he may get in because he got a lot of publicity and he was a hard player. But his span that he covered was really restricted. Now a lot of those middle linebackers were in those days. They didn’t have three or four wide receivers so they stayed on the field for three downs. They might be off today. But, no, I certainly don’t have him in [Dick] Butkus or Ray Lewis [category]. And I don’t think he should be in there, really with [Joe] Schmidt and [Ray] Nitschke and those guys, either.”

Accorsi may be right, but it’s possible to say that Urlacher falls short of the greatness of middle linebackers like Butkus and Lewis, but to still say he belongs in the Hall of Fame. And that’s exactly what I would say: Urlacher doesn’t have a case to be the greatest middle linebacker ever. But he has a strong case for the Hall of Fame.

Permalink 120 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Indianapolis Colts, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
120 Responses to “Ernie Accorsi not convinced Brian Urlacher is a Hall of Famer”
  1. bcgreg says: May 23, 2013 12:21 PM

Urlacher is a borderline HOFer. He may get in, but he’s not a lock. What’s wrong with that?

2. scoonie97 says: May 23, 2013 12:24 PM

I guess somebody’s gotta remove Harry Carson from the HOF then… talk about awkward.

3. ozymandias121 says: May 23, 2013 12:25 PM

If he played in Tennessee no one would think he belongs in the HOF.

4. castleofcheese says: May 23, 2013 12:26 PM

Borderline hall of famer? With all due respect, Ernie… you’re an idiot.

5. canesgiants says: May 23, 2013 12:26 PM

hes good but not hall of fame worthy. if he wasnt white he would just have been a normal lb.

6. bathroombenlovemachine says: May 23, 2013 12:27 PM

Of course this classless bum doesn’t deserve to be in the Hall Of Fame.

Eagles will win Super Bowl 48

7. gbatap says: May 23, 2013 12:27 PM

If Joe Namath is good enough for the HoF then Urlacher has to be.

8. pjrhc says: May 23, 2013 12:28 PM

And who is this Accorsi? ExACTly. This Packer fan disagrees vehemently.

9. aaa82 says: May 23, 2013 12:28 PM

EDIT: Ernie Accorsi wants his name in the news

10. jhein23 says: May 23, 2013 12:29 PM

I think he’s a HOF but not a no doubt. If he had played for the Jaguars or Titans his whole career he’d be in the same category as London Fletcher.

11. moeman79 says: May 23, 2013 12:32 PM

who is this guy? sorry dude never heard of you? Must have been a crappy G.M.

12. b3nz0z says: May 23, 2013 12:34 PM

wasn’t he pretty much the prototypical Tampa 2 MLB? i mean he went to like 8 probowls and a superbowl.

13. deucedropper says: May 23, 2013 12:34 PM

I think Urlacher will get that yellow jacket in his first year of HOF eligibility. Accorsi can bump up this post in 2018.

14. bahoto34 says: May 23, 2013 12:35 PM

Ernie Accorsi was a borderline GM at best. and a reason why he is a former GM and not a current one.

15. klutch14u says: May 23, 2013 12:36 PM

Urlacher has always been one of those guys that name seemed to be bigger than the actual player. Like it was 2 different entities. I’m not a Bears hater by any means.

16. hutch119 says: May 23, 2013 12:37 PM

One is Accorsi saying Urlacher wasn’t a 3 down player? I don’t think Urlacher ever came off the field… The guy is the definition of a 3 down MLB.

Two if you don’t think an 8 time pro bowler, 5 time all pro, defensive player of the year with 1400 tackles 40+ sacks 20+ Ints and the unquestionable leader and best player on some of the greatest defenses this league has ever seen is a hall of famer you are a moron.

17. gdfbar says: May 23, 2013 12:38 PM

Obviously, he isn’t on the level the top 4-5 historic guys at the position, but he made 8 Pro Bowls, was the Defensive player of the year, and the Defensive rookie of the year. He was also on the all decade team for the 2000’s. If that’s not a HOF resume I don’t know what is.

Frankly, I am not sure what Accorsi is talking about. He seems to imply that Urlacher came off the field a lot because of multiple WR sets, and that has never been the case. The Bears haven’t really used a dime package in years because Briggs and Urlacher never come off. I am just having trouble wrapping my head around what he could have been trying to say, because you would think that Accorsi would know that.

18. astigmatism? football? why not both. says: May 23, 2013 12:38 PM

I don’t think Urlacher played with the intention to join Canton. Which is what made him so great. His accomplishment of tabbing 100 tackles in 9 seasons is unreal…

19. evilglazers666 says: May 23, 2013 12:39 PM

As a Bucs fan, I’m not convinced Warren Sapp is a Hall-of-Famer over (Picked over Strahan too!)

20. th56 says: May 23, 2013 12:40 PM

This Vikings fan also disagrees. Hated him when he played against the Vikes, but you have to respect a great player when you see one. I’ve always been amazed on how he seemed to be in on every single play no matter where it was on the field. Even if he’s only the 3rd best middle linebacker of the last 20 years, I would think that more than qualifies him for the HOF.

21. joemontanawasthegreatest says: May 23, 2013 12:40 PM

There is no possible way he doesn’t make it. He was a well known player with 5 All-Pro seasons and 8 Pro Bowls.

The guy was an ultra fast LB who WAS on the field for all three downs through the majority of his career until he was sapped of some athleticism over the pas 3-4 years.

22. huskylawyer says: May 23, 2013 12:42 PM

I find it hard to say Urlacher is a HoFer when for nearly half of his career he wasn’t even the best linebacker on his own team (Briggs has been better for the past 6 years or so).

23. realfootballfan says: May 23, 2013 12:43 PM

By that logic, let’s get these modern day QBs some new criteria because the numbers are way different from the 70′s with so many rules changes to benefit the offense over the last 25 years being implemented. Bottom line is that he performed at a level just below Ray Lewis in this era of LBs, had a long career with excellence in all of those years, and has no other players during that time period besides Lewis even mentioned in the conversation at their position.

To knock him for the changes in the league and the further specialization of the game would be as absurd as knocking the players from the 70′s because they didn’t have to face freak athlete players across the board like today at nearly every position. The same deal with baseball, their are 5 men rotations today instead of 4, middle relievers, etc. Do we knock them for not having as many wins with much less chances of winning games because of the expanded staffs? Of course not, because it’s a different era and game from the “old days.”

24. romoownssteveyoung says: May 23, 2013 12:44 PM

This dude is a freaking moron. Over 1,300 combined tackles, 1,000 solo tackles, that’s a little under 100 per season.

Ernie Accorsi is an idiot. No wonder he was GM for the NYG, not like they have a bunch of brain surgeons over there, running the show.

25. classactcalvin81 says: May 23, 2013 12:45 PM

I’m not gonna call the dude an idiot but as a Lions fan I have watched this dude haunt players from side line to side line for yrs.. He should get in.

26. jdphx says: May 23, 2013 12:45 PM

2 points I wanna make.

1) To be voted in the HOF does NOT mean you must
    be “better” than those already there.

2) I think he gets in. But he got freebie points, just
    for the fact that he played the middle, for the Bears. And the prestige and history that he followed.

People just “wanted” him to be the NEXT great
    Chicago LB.

27. wferg1121 says: May 23, 2013 12:47 PM

I listened to Ernie Accorsi on the radio a while back, He is very knowledgeable in the History of the NFL, and I don’t question his knowledge. Ernie has been evaluating players most of his life ; He has seen some great players and great defenses. I think he was saying that Urlacher was a solid football player for a long period of time, but he never separated himself like the Lawrence Taylor’s, Singletary, Butkus, and Lambert etc….. I believe Ernie was just saying that Urlacher is on that fine line. If there is a sure thing HOF in the class Urlacher is nominated with, he might be waiting a while or have a hard time getting in, like Harry Carson who waited like 30 years to get in for the Giants.

28. markpackman says: May 23, 2013 12:51 PM

Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford, and Christian Ponder think Urlacher is a HOFer.

29. bigdinla says: May 23, 2013 12:51 PM

1353 tackles, 41.5 sacks and 22 ints over 14 years is not HOF? He was a very dominant LB and a complete lB as the numbers show.

30. schrutebeetfarms says: May 23, 2013 12:54 PM

I’ve been thinking the same thing. Very good player. Hall of famer? Depends on where you want to draw the line.

31. flmike says: May 23, 2013 12:54 PM

If Ronde Barber doesn’t get in on the first ballott (he should), there is no way Urlacher should get in at all. I’ve been watching Urlacher since he was playing every position on the field in High School in Lovington, New Mexico, then I watched him at UNM where he played the famed Lobo Back position (cross between a LB & FS in a 3-3-5 system), he has a great football IQ and really sees the field well which allows him to make plays, but he’s not a first ballott HoF if at all.

32. floratiotime says: May 23, 2013 12:55 PM

Ernie … learn when to be quiet.

33. blacknole08 says: May 23, 2013 12:56 PM

Urlacher will be in the HOF.

First ballot? No. But he will be in the HOF.

34. cfos00 says: May 23, 2013 12:57 PM

He played in a system that inheritly isn’t great for MLB’s and managed to still become the all-time leading tackler for one of the oldest teams in the league with a history of dominant defenders, is one of four players to ever have over 20 picks and 40 sacks, made 8 pro bowls, won a defensive MVP, was all-pro 5 times, won the Brian Piccalo and Ed Block Awards, and was Defensive Rookie of the Year. He also Captained one of the best defenses in the league for a decade, was on the NFL’s All-Decade team, and brought a team with Rex Grossman, a human turnover, to the Super Bowl.

What more would Ernie have him do? Not his fault that he never had a good offensive line and QB at the same time to get him a ring. He’s way, way off on this. Urlacher and Ray can walk into the Hall the same day, as they should, as the two best MLBs of the past 15 years.

35. sportnorcal says: May 23, 2013 12:58 PM

Take emotions out of it and look at the numbers.
    I would say, with some of the players that havent made the HOF yet, that nothing is a lock. He had a couple of GREAT years, no doubt – but also a few mediocre ones where he might not have even been the best LB on his own team.

36. mvp43 says: May 23, 2013 12:59 PM

A middle LB with 40 sacks and 20 pics is worthy of the HOF. There weren’t too many OLB that could cover like he did.

As a Packer fan I hated him, because he was just so good. He was a true professional and a great football player. I’m glad he retired a Bear because he meant so much to to that team as well as the Packer-Bear rivalry.

37. ramcountry says: May 23, 2013 1:01 PM

The week after a guy retires is always the worst time to ask about the HOF.

Very little objectivity going on from either side.

38. osiris33 says: May 23, 2013 1:01 PM

Urlacher retired? Wow, I thought he retired 4 years ago, since I haven’t seen him make a play since about 2009.

39. kd75 says: May 23, 2013 1:04 PM

Was Urlacher better than Ray Lewis? No.

Was Urlacher better than Derrick Brooks? No.

Was Urlacher better than Harry Carson? No.

He is in that next level below those guys.

Great player. No ring. No HOF. But he banged Paris Hilton back when that was something to brag about.

40. nyjallfingday says: May 23, 2013 1:06 PM

@gbatap

Urlacher also didn’t radically change the game of football for the better.

One day, people will look a Joe Namath with historical context in mind instead of looking at the stats and comparing them to modern QB’s and then somehow drawing the incredibly silly conclusion that he was a bad player. However, until that day…pass the Tylenol.

41. bigcid10 says: May 23, 2013 1:06 PM

Jerome bettis thinks he’s a lock

42. pixelito says: May 23, 2013 1:08 PM

Good player but definitely overrated… I’d guess most GM’s would agree with Accorsi

43. bmoresabres says: May 23, 2013 1:13 PM

Mr. Accorsi is correct. I moved from Baltimore to the Chicago area 7 years ago. During this time span, I viewed a lot of Bears games. Mr. Urlacher was not as dominant as the media would have you to believe. Mr. Urlacher happened to play in a large media market, which hyped his contributions disproportionately.

44. EJ says: May 23, 2013 1:13 PM

This is why Brian Urlacher belongs in the same category as Ray Lewis:

Lewis- 228 Games, 17 Season’s
    Urlacher- 182 Games, 13 Season’s

L- 1573 Tackles- 92.5 average/yr
    U- 1052 Tackles- 80.9 average/yr (1375 in 17 yrs)

L- 41.5 Sacks 2.4 average/yr
    U- 41.5 Sacks 3.1 average/yr (52.7 in 17 yrs)

L- 31 INT’s 1.8 average/yr
    U- 22 INT’s 1.6 average/yr (27.2 in 17 yrs)

L- 19 FF 20 FR 1.1/1.1 avg/yr
    U- 11 FF 15 FR .8/1.1 avg/yr (13.6/18.7 in 17 yrs)

L- 81 PD 4.7 avg/yr
    U- 85 PD 6.5 avg/yr (110.5 in 17 yrs)

L- 1 Safety
    U-0 Safety

L- 3 Defensive TD’s
    U- 3 Defensive TD’s

If you look at the numbers in the ( ), it represents what Urlacher’s numbers would have looked like compared to Lewis’s averaged out for 17 years.
    Urlacher and Lewis missed about the same amount of time due to injury, but if you look at the numbers Urlacher beats out Lewis in a few categories and looks darn close in others. I’d have to say they were pretty close with their careers, even though Lewis played with a better overall team and was in the news a quite a bit more. (Lewis = Urlacher)

45. donnymacjack says: May 23, 2013 1:13 PM

Who the hell is Ernie Accorsi?

46. trublazer says: May 23, 2013 1:18 PM

about time someone spoke up.. I agree!
    very good player.. borderline HOF. but I’m the same dude that doesn’t think Steve Young is a HOF

47. stanleyhalas says: May 23, 2013 1:21 PM

Former DPOY 8 time prow bowler isn’t a LOCK, but he’s certainly got a strong case. But I will say this; urlacher would be a great player in ANY era, would (arguably) the best MLB in history, Butkus? Probably, but urlacher was the most successful Tampa 2 mike in history and his ability to make plays in the run and pass game is equaled by few and topped by even fewer.

48. patrickvwashington says: May 23, 2013 1:22 PM

Man some of you people are just stupid.

Let me make this simple.

Urlacher did something Ray, butkus, taylor, or any other MLB can and maybe will ever do. Not only was he a beast sideline to sideline, but at 6-4 260 he actually took away the ENTIRE middle of the field. He covered WR’s, TE’s, RB’s 30-40 yards down field. Ray COULD NOT do that, nor could any other of the highly touted MLBs. That is called changing the way teams have to play.

With all those other MLB’s coverage was their liability, ESPECIALLY Ray.

Think before you type sometimes. Urlachers numbers say HOF. His are quite similar to Rays while playing less years.

49. pike573 says: May 23, 2013 1:24 PM

What does Bas Rutten think?

50. southpaw2k says: May 23, 2013 1:25 PM

I always thought Urlacher was pretty overrated as a player, though a lot of that stems back when John Madden put together his annual All-Madden team at the end of every season. Somewhere around 2001/2002, at the pinnacle of Ray Lewis’s career, Madden declared Urlacher to be the best ILB currently playing at that time and left Lewis off the list completely. In looking over Urlacher’s career, he had his share of accolades and acclaim, but I still can only put him in the Hall of Very Good, not quite the Hall of Fame.

That said, I think he’ll get in one day considering he was always well-liked by the media.

51. tgillespie74 says: May 23, 2013 1:27 PM

There bottom line is this. The words “hall of gamer” should never be used in the same sentence as any current player. It seems they throw everyone in the hall these days and some have been playing for less that 6-7yrs. Give it a rest already.

52. deliveredbysherpa says: May 23, 2013 1:29 PM

Urlacher dominated for quite a few years and definitely makes the HOF. It has only been the last few years that he has been injury prone and slowed by age. He forced offenses to change strategies and work around him for most of his career.

53. gooseusaf1 says: May 23, 2013 1:30 PM

EJ, the one stat that you missed is this:

Ray Lewis = 2 SB WINS
    Brian Urlacher = 0 SB WINS

Lewis led his team to a Superbowl win with Trent Dilfer at QB.

I’m a huge fan of Brian Dawkins but Ed Reed has an edge because he won 2 SBs and Dawk did not.

54. scorpwood says: May 23, 2013 1:32 PM

Great player for the Bears. Hall of Fame? Zach Thomas has very similar stats (more tackles, forced fumbles, less interceptions and sacks) and I never hear anyone (other then Dolphin fans) mentioning him for the Hall of Fame. Both made the All Decade team, Zach’s a 7 time Pro Bowler and 7 time All Pro. Maybe those stats are good enough for both to get in.

55. tfaulk says: May 23, 2013 1:33 PM

Hell, I wouldn’t mention him with any player in this thread. Maybe in the same league as Zach Thomas.

But Zach Thomas still isn’t in the HOF yet either.

56. justintuckrule says: May 23, 2013 1:33 PM

I agree with Ernie but not because I’m a Giant fan. For me, HOF signifies the best of the best. The mere fact that an argument can be made to keep him out gives me all I need to vote “no”.

With this criteria, I’d have kept out my man Harry Carson, who is the best comparable to B.U. because, like grading a hot chick as a “10″, there should be no debate. Fyi – I’d also keep out Simms who delivered our 1st SB and still has the greatest QB SB record.

HOFers should transcend the sport.

57. steelfan1 says: May 23, 2013 1:33 PM

There is a reason Ernie is no longer in the front office. Anyone who looked at Urlacher’s career and say he doesn’t belong in the HOF doesn’t watch or know football.

The 2 best middle Line Backer of the past 12 years, Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher. As a Miami Hurricane fan i love Ray, as a Steeler fan i hated Ray on game day. But the fact is, even he couldn’t do his job well unless he had a clog in front of him. Urlacher had the benefit of guys like Tommie Kelly who were penetrators and not clogs in front of him, so unlike Ray, he did a lot of Dirty work and was one of the best cover Linebackers in the league.

I still remember a fantasy football show on Espn when they were trying to sell picking up the Bears defense. They showed a clip of Brian’s cover skills. when the defense was called, Brian was on the line of scrimmage and by the time the ball was snapped, he was covering a wide receiver 30 yards down the field and he broke up the pass. Only a hand full of linebackers in NFL history can do that period.

If this man is not put in the Hall in his first try, then the committee need to turn their cards in. This man is one of the best Linebackers in NFL history.

58. huskylawyer says: May 23, 2013 1:33 PM

If Urlacher is a HoFer, than Briggs is as well. His stats have been as good if not better than Urlacher’s for much of his career (and he’s had less down years). Both are AWESOME LBs, but you can’t let in Urlacher and not Briggs. Briggs has been the better LB on Chicago for awhile now.

59. wareagletampa says: May 23, 2013 1:35 PM

If Ronde Barber isn’t a hall of famer because he is a “Tampa 2 system cornerback” then why is Brian Urlacher a hall of famer as a “Tampa 2 system linebacker?”

Point is they both belong in the HOF, but that didn’t stop all sorts of pundits from claiming Ronde isn’t a hall of famer. Which is ludicrous.

60. duece5 says: May 23, 2013 1:36 PM

hutch119 says: May 23, 2013 12:37 PM

duece5 says:

Uhhh….you MUST be getting the 85 bears D mixed up with the D that Urlacher was on for 13 years.

He had several good years of overall good to very good defenses. Other years average. And several years, the defense sucked.

Not sure what planet you are from…..but Urlacher played on “some of the best defenses in league history??!!”

Are you on crack?

61. blurryvisi0n says: May 23, 2013 1:37 PM

I’m no Bears fan nor an Urlacher fan, but he will make in the HoF. Not because of politics but because he was that good. I am not saying he’ll be first ballot but he will make it,

62. gnarlswoodson says: May 23, 2013 1:37 PM

Urlacher isn’t the best MLB ever. He doesn’t have to even be in anyones Top 5 MLB, like it or not he will still get in. Now, anyone wanna tell me how Kevin Greene isn’t in the HOF yet?

63. The Prophet says: May 23, 2013 1:39 PM

We seem to be in era where starpower is playing a lot more with guys like Michael Irvin and Warren Sapp getting in the first time. Whether or not Urlacher is the “caliber” of a HOFer or 1st timer isnt’ as relevant anymore as I think he will be voted in the 1st time out, because he is a big star and is the most well known Chicago Bear since the 80′s teams. HOF is becoming more of a popularity contest than ever before.

64. coolhandluke1 says: May 23, 2013 1:43 PM

I always thought it would make for interesting conversation if the number of players in the HOF was capped to a maximum. For anyone new to be admitted someone already in the HOF would have to be voted out.

65. pillowporkers says: May 23, 2013 1:43 PM

Evan as a Vikings fan, this guy is an idiot. Urlacher was a converted safety. He was one of the best LBs in coverage in the cover 2. DEFINITELY A 3 DOWN PLAYER. In fact, they used to play Urlacher back in the endzone on Hail Mary attempts because of his great vertical. This guy is a moron. He wasn’t on the field on passing downs anymore because not only do they run more 4 WR sets etc, he’s old now! Guess what, Ray Lewis is where every team attacked Baltimore in the pass game this last year in the playoffs and had success doing it (Denver, SF). Why? Cuz he was old too! Lastly, what middle linebackers (especially in a 4-3) are AMAZING at coverage? That’s a run stopping position. That’s like knocking Pat Williams because he didn’t get enough sacks. He literally took away running between the tackles! 8 pro bowls, defensive player of the year, brought his team to the super bowl with rex grossman, and defensive rookie of the year. I’m sorry but that’s definitely hall of fame. One of the best linebackers of the past decade.

66. gdfbar says: May 23, 2013 1:44 PM

The other point that I don’t think has come up is how much different the defense that he played in under Dick Juron was. If you remember, for his first few years he was in more of an attacking role and had huge DT’s paving the way for him in Washington and Tralyor. Urlacher was more of a play maker in that defense, and most of his sacks came in those years. His numbers could have been off the charts for the position if he had continued in a scheme like that. Instead, he spent the last 2/3 of his career covering the deep middle in the Tampa 2. It was a role that he excelled in, but by its very nature it had him moving away from the LOS and reacting on most plays. Even with those restraints, the guy still found a way to make a ton of tackles at or around the LOS, and when he was in coverage he took away the entire middle of the field.

67. mputelli55 says: May 23, 2013 1:45 PM

All you morons are bandwagoners!!!! If an article was printed saying so and so thinks Ditka shouldn’t be a HOF’er half of you would agree and just go with it..THINK for yourself..be smart, stop letting an idiot’s opinion dictate your opinion..his numbers are unreal..he meant everything to that team, and since when does the criteria for a the HOF depend solely on numbers??? He.was.a model player and role model for his team and community so stop being sheep and formulate your own thoughts…in the end..would YOU want to do open field tackling drills with Lach??? Didn’t think so..

68. gcsuk says: May 23, 2013 1:49 PM

romoownssteveyoung says:
    May 23, 2013 12:44 PM

———————————————————–

Anyone named “romo owns steve young” has NO ROOM to call anyone else a “freaking moron”.

69. duffer58 says: May 23, 2013 1:51 PM

Has a Packer fan no question he belongs.

70. wferg1121 says: May 23, 2013 2:01 PM

“patrickvwashington says: May 23, 2013 1:22 PM

Man some of you people are just stupid.

Let me make this simple.

Urlacher did something Ray, butkus, taylor, or any other MLB can and maybe will ever do.”

Lawrence Taylor was not a MLB, but he was the best LB I have ever seen play, followed by Ray Lewis and Mike Singletary. Unfortunately I only seen highlights of Lambert, and Butkus. Joe Gibbs created the 2 back offense just to deal with LT.
    Ray Lewis is part of one of the most dominate defenses in NFL history, so is Singletary, Lambert, and Taylor in 86. What dominate defense was Urlacher on?

71. thesmartest1 says: May 23, 2013 2:06 PM

Seth Joyner was better than Urlacher,

72. elliottcovert says: May 23, 2013 2:06 PM

I’m a Vikings fan, but I think Urlacher is a HOFer. Maybe he’s not first ballot, but he was dominant in his era (it was just bad timing that he got overshadowed and always compared to Ray Lewis), and he’s the best zone-coverage MLB I’ve ever seen play the game. You also have to factor in that Ray Lewis played for four seasons longer than Urlacher, and to be honest his play dropped off significantly for the last two years.

73. sasquash20 says: May 23, 2013 2:15 PM

Urlacher is a lock for the HOF. Big time MLB in a big time MLB city. I don’t think he should be first ballot, but if Sapp made it first try then so should Urlacher.

Oh and stop bringing up probowls as a stat to be measured by. It is a popularity contest.

74. GenXJay says: May 23, 2013 2:20 PM

The guy retires yesterday and some are saying “Hall of Fame” already.
    I think he’s a quitter first.
    After a few years of voting and ballots, we’ll see how other retired (retiring) linebackers pan out pertaining to the H.o.F. vs. Brian’s premature electing.

75. Talk football or shut your pie hole... says: May 23, 2013 2:26 PM

Ok, lets not let statistics make the decision for us.

For example, another LB played 14 years in the NFL, had

1,981 total tackles,
    11 int.,
    16 fumble recoveries,
    9 sacks (also played 5 years before they started officially tracking sacks),
    was all pro 3 times,
    went to 2 pro bowls,
    is in the teams ring of honor and
    had a high of 230 tackles in one season and 24 in one game.

This guy can’t even get considered for the HOF so lets make it more than just stats.

Who is this other LB you ask? Scott Studwell of the Vikings.

I’m not saying he should be in the HOF, but he was a very good MLB and had incredible stats.

76. Talk football or shut your pie hole... says: May 23, 2013 2:34 PM

Want another great stat guy who’s not even in consideration for the HOF?

12 years in the NFL
    1,452 tackles
    16 interceptions
    8 sacks (played another 8 years before sacks were tracked)
    20 blocked kicks
    6 time pro bowler
    1 time all pro
    in the teams ring of honor
    played in 2 SB

No chance he gets in the HOF… but he’s got the stats

Who is he? Matt Blair of the Vikings

Again, I’m not saying he should be a HOF, but he’s another example of where stats aren’t enough.

77. armoderate says: May 23, 2013 2:34 PM

Just go look at yearly stats for Ray Lewis and Urlacher with regard to total tackles, sacks, and interceptions. Make your assessment on that and not on some former front office talking head. Personally, I think both should be in the HOF, but they’ll only pick one middle LB per era. Urlacher will have to wait a little bit.

78. EJ says: May 23, 2013 2:38 PM

gooseusaf1 says: May 23, 2013 1:30 PM

EJ, the one stat that you missed is this:

Ray Lewis = 2 SB WINS
    Brian Urlacher = 0 SB WINS

Lewis led his team to a Superbowl win with Trent Dilfer at QB.

Yeah, but like I said before, Urlacher never really had anything like Lewis had surrounding him. Even with Dilfer, Lewis still had the much better overall team built around him. 1 player doesn’t bring you to a Super Bowl, Its the whole team. Replace Lewis on the Ravens with Urlacher and the Ravens still win two Super Bowl Titles. Sometimes the heart of a team can beat out the most talented teams, but that is a very rare sometimes. Like I stated before Urlacher = Lewis, period.

79. philvil41 says: May 23, 2013 2:41 PM

Couldn’t agree more with Acorsi.

80. gcsuk says: May 23, 2013 2:42 PM

mputelli55 says:
    May 23, 2013 1:45 PM
    —————————————————–

Sorry, but Thumbs Down for calling him “Lach”.

81. ninerfan81 says: May 23, 2013 2:48 PM

He’ll get in, I respect Ernie’s opinion but its easy to feel underwhelmed when compared to Lewis and Butkus. Urlacher was a dominant player for 10 years and brought tenacity to the position, one of the best Bears to do it, I think he walks in, POSSIBLY not first ballot because he’ll have to be compared to Lewis but I’d be surprised if he didnt go in at least second ballot.

82. johnnyhambone says: May 23, 2013 2:49 PM

Darryl Talley was a better linebacker than one Mr. Brian Keith Urlacher. Talley should be in the hall of fame not urlacher.

83. dkalev says: May 23, 2013 2:51 PM

don’t agree with accorsi, but the guy does know talent… that said, why the heck is nobody mentioning Lawrence Taylor in any of these comments? it astounds me how nobody mentions arguably the best linebacker to ever play the game… as Joe Montana was to quarterbacks, LT is to linebackers … whatever I guess everyone here is an expert…

84. nightofthehipple says: May 23, 2013 2:52 PM

There is more to the hall of fame than stats. Urlacher’s value to his team went beyond statistics. He was a leader that elevated the play of his teammates. Also greatly involved with charities and the community. Add that to his stats and I say he belongs.

85. gmen5280 says: May 23, 2013 2:55 PM

Hard to say if Brian will eventually be in the HOF. He would be in the same HOF ballot class as Ray Lewis. Between Ray and Brian getting the nod in 5 years, it is Ray every day and twice on Sundays.

Now if you want to compare Urlacher and Carson.
    Carson was a 4th rounder and Urlacher 1st rounder (9th overall).
    They played in different schemes and different era’s.
    Carson played in a more run oriented time and Urlacher in a pass/qb time.

You need to stop a running back on 4 and 1 on the goal line with 2 seconds left and your only up by 6. Who are you going to want in the middle? Carson.

My suggestion, Brian wait 1 year then retire and not have to go head to head with Ray Lewis.

86. apinzon12 says: May 23, 2013 2:56 PM

Just to be clear Ed reed won one superbowl not 2. I don’t know where you got this info cause he got drafted the year after

87. vicnocal says: May 23, 2013 3:03 PM

It’s gotta be the barbed wire tattoo.

88. sickcub says: May 23, 2013 3:05 PM

Urlacher was a better linebacker than Mike Singletary, who made the Hall of Fame. Enough said.

89. freepretzels says: May 23, 2013 3:05 PM

I think he’s a HOF, because of his incredible range as a MLB. He could run like a safety and cover TEs deep downfield, so they didn’t have to account for that man in coverage, and they could just rush.

He wasn’t the big hitter they made him out to be, his first couple years he had Keith Traylor and Ted Washington in front of him and he looked like Dick Butkus, but it wasn’t the case.

He sure isn’t a Joe Schmidt or a Ray Nitchske though.

90. hunts360 says: May 23, 2013 3:08 PM

HOF nominations turns into statistics. Especially 5 years after a player retires.

More importantly Brian Urlacher is a stand up guy. My son attended his Chicago football camp for 2 years and Brian spent a lot of time with him individually. Many sports stars are too busy for their biggest fans the kids!

Back to statistics.

40+ sacks 20+ Interceptions only 4 players in NFL history have done that.
    Averaged more then 100 tackles a season for his entire career. Less the 10 players have done that. (1350 tackles)

If he played the same amount of time as Ray Lewis he would have had more tackles and Urlacher already has more sacks.

Was the heart of the Bears defense for more then 10 years.

Top 5 most athletic MLB of all time.
    4.45 40yd at 6’5″ 258lbs (could cover every RB or TE in the league)
    38″ vertical leap

Harry Carson had 1/2 the interceptions with 11
    and 19 sacks again less then 1/2 of what Urlacher did in the same time frame. (12 seasons)

Jr Seau will be 1st ballet HOF Urlacher has as many tackles and 5 more interceptions in 6 less seasons.

There will never be another Brian Urlacher statistics above guarantee it. He accomplished in 12 seasons what HOF linebackers take 15-20 years to accomplish. Statistics do not lie. So Mr Accorsi I think at this point you should think before you speak. Use your Wake Forest education to be more productive then to smear a HOF worthy LB, especially 24 hrs after he retires from a game we all love!

91. ijahru says: May 23, 2013 3:10 PM

I say he is HOF worthy but definitely not 1st ballot worthy, not with guys like Kevin Greene still waiting to get in.

92. raynitschke66 says: May 23, 2013 3:15 PM

As a fan of the Packers, I have to say that people who think that Urlacher is a “borderline” Hall of Fame player know nothing about football. He made those defenses in Chicago what they were, and for every almost season he was there, he clearly was the best player on the team. I hated watching him, and even though he’s lost a step, I’m thrilled that they lost their leader. They got worse the instant they kicked him out the door.

93. w0rkh0lic1 says: May 23, 2013 3:20 PM

If stats were enough then someone like London Fletcher would have his name brought up more often. Great individual player what was stuck playing for teams not known for their great defenses. He wasn’t lucky enough to play behind dominant Definsive lines in Buffalo and Washington the last 10 years. Over 1900 tackles, over 1300 solo. 23 interceptions and 37.5 sacks. He’s a 3 down linebacker who gets no respect because he was undrafted and the teams he’s played for the last 10 years were underperforming teams. It’s doubtful anyone considers he will make the HOF, but when his career stats are finally tallied, they will stand up against some of the best at the position. If Warren Sapp played for the Bills or Jaguars would he have been in the HOF? NO.

94. jagsfan1 says: May 23, 2013 3:30 PM

I don’t think he is either…ALOT of these guys play real well for first 5 years…then injuries,etc slow them down and make them very average…with no more ability to make a major impact on a game..

Certain ones then live off their names and media, commercials, etc – but production becomes VERY average…

His last 3-4 years were nothing special at all…

I see Revis doing this…Polamolu already doing it…alot of big name guys who WERE great players are just so so…

95. adoombray says: May 23, 2013 3:35 PM

Hall of very good.

No ring, that simple

96. navyeoddavee9 says: May 23, 2013 3:44 PM

Hall of very good

97. zzr600guy says: May 23, 2013 3:45 PM

Urlacher was an impact player that could blitz, cover, tackle, and he had great instincts. I wouldn’t put him with Lewis or Butkus either but he is a HOF player IMO.

98. tims8705 says: May 23, 2013 3:50 PM

I agree with the author, David Smith, that you have to seperate the difference between greatest of all time and HOFer. Urlacher shouldn’t be downgraded because Ray Lewis is better. Ray Lewis is an unquestionable top 3 linebacker of all time, and I hate the dude.

Should Drew Brees not be a HOFer because he played in the same era as Brady and Manning? I don’t think so. Curtis Martin wasn’t as good as Marshall Faulk, I guess we should kick him out.

Look at the stats, history, and awards and it is plain to see Urlacher belongs in the Hall.

99. jwcarlson says: May 23, 2013 3:53 PM

cfos00 says:
    May 23, 2013 12:57 PM
    ———————————–

When did they start tracking tackles, though?

100. dino2997 says: May 23, 2013 4:20 PM

Ernie Accosi just sounds like a hater. He gave no definitive reasons why he shouldn’t be a Hall of Famer.

fyi..to Accorsi but Urlacher was a three down player throughout his career.

101. ravensnation21 says: May 23, 2013 4:21 PM

@EJ
    Its not fair to project his stats to be better or the same as Ray Lewis. You are forgetting that Ray Lewis lasted 4 more years than Urlacher because Lewis’ production was still strong up until this past year. Urlacher struggled in his 13th season. Ray Lewis didn’t start struggling until his 16th or 17th season. That being said I still believe Urlacher is a HOFer. Urlacher<Lewis.

102. gagiants says: May 23, 2013 4:22 PM

I’m a avid giants fan and also a fan of everything that accorsi did for the giants, but in this case I would have to disagree with him. I figure like this if there’s a lb you don’t have to gameplan for they shouldn’t be in the HOF. For instance like LT, you had to gameplan for him.

I think the same thing applies for Urlacher, you had to gameplan for him. Maybe not so much during his injury-plagued later years, but you had to gameplan for him for the majority of his career. Also it is tough to argue with 8 probowls and 5 All pro accolades. I say he’s in by a long shot. You look at it he was the leader of that defense that made the Super Bowl. It shouldn’t even be a discussion if he gets in it probably should be about when.

103. gooseusaf1 says: May 23, 2013 5:24 PM

I stand corrected on the Reed thing. I forgot he came in after the first SB, either way he still has one up on Dawkins. If they retired the same year either they’d both go in or Reed would be first.

Dawkins had Reeds ability and Lewis’ heart/emotion as a player. He just played on some bad offensive teams and once the offense got good the defense slipped around him without the late Jim Johnson running it.

104. noahbird says: May 23, 2013 5:30 PM

What about Zach Thomas?

105. thestatsishere says: May 23, 2013 5:46 PM

Every single name Accorsi mentioned are guys who transcended the game and were beyond dominant football players. That’s a ridiculous standard to hold by. If that were the case, then you would have to remove arguably half the Hall of Famers in Canton.

Brian Urlacher was a safety converted to linebacker who was a clutch player that made interceptions, made crunching tackles, was physically intimidating, and a leader of a team that went to a Super Bowl despite having Rex Grossman as their quarterback.

Is that good enough? Absolutely. Sorry Ernie. I disagree big time with you on this one.

106. dartwick says: May 23, 2013 5:54 PM

The people who knock Urlacher dont give him credit for his coverage skills – which were just what his team needed from him in addition to him being all around excellent.

107. poesports says: May 23, 2013 5:57 PM

I love these posts about IF Urlacher would have played, then….Total speculation. Some moron even said if you replace Brian with Ray, then the Ravens would still win the 2 SB’s. Again, speculation and supposition. We can only go on facts. I think Brian gets in eventually due to his numbers, 1 time Defensive Player of the Year and a SB app. But Ray with his numbers, 2 time Defensive Player, 2 time SB Champion as well as SB MVP. It’s not as close as you think.

108. whatjusthapped says: May 23, 2013 6:02 PM

He’s borderline HOF, but just getting serviced by Paris Hilton puts him over the top. That girl can suck a bowling ball thru a garden hose so Urlacher has some special highlights that no other MLB can claim.

109. chickennecks says: May 23, 2013 6:07 PM

huskylawyer says:
    May 23, 2013 12:42 PM

By that logic, someone better tell Jack Lambert, Willie Lanier and Harry Carson that they aren’t in the HOF anymore.

Urlacher is a HOFer. I know we all love to romanticize guys like Nitschke, Singltary and Schmidt, and they may have been tougher and meaner than Urlacher, but they didn’t do nearly as much as Url. Url could run with slot receivers and tight ends and play the run equally well.

And while Ray-Ray is a better MLB, he played with better players and in a system that allowed him to attack. Urlacher played in a Cover 2 system where he had many more responsibilites, and was still dominant for a number of years.

Url may not be a first ballot guy, but he’s no doubt a HOFer

110. vikes8480 says: May 23, 2013 6:11 PM

Really? People who think Urlacher doesn’t deserve to be in the Hall of Fame must not have watched him play.

I can’t stand the Bears and I hate to give them any credit, but, Urlacher definitely deserves to be in the HOF. The guy was an animal. He was in on nearly every tackle and had a great nose for the ball.

111. raiderapologist says: May 23, 2013 8:18 PM

gooseusaf1 says: May 23, 2013 1:30 PM

Ray Lewis = 2 SB WINS
    Brian Urlacher = 0 SB WINS
    ————–
    By that logic, Jim Plunkett should be sporting a yellow jacket.

112. mazblast says: May 23, 2013 8:47 PM

Two observations–

1. Urlacher is far more likely to be elected to the HOF than Ernie Accorsi.

2. Accorsi would be singing a different tune if Urlacher had been a Giant.

113. beelicker says: May 23, 2013 10:15 PM

Did anyone think to ask Urlacher what he might think of Ernie Accorsi’s HOF prospects?

114. irishdodger says: May 23, 2013 10:56 PM

MLB can’t be judged by 1960s standards with today’s offenses. They rarely get drafted in the first round anymore regardless of skill. MLBs & RBs are simply not as valuable as they were 15-20 yrs ago. The guy is a HoFer. We’re splitting hairs when debating is he’s a 1st ballot entry.

115. tipstopten says: May 24, 2013 12:01 AM

Who’s Ernie???????? How many tackles did he
    make????? I am not a Bear fan by Urlacher
    was and is one of the best a middle linebacker.

116. toolkien says: May 24, 2013 7:08 AM

For a stat-head approach, pro-football-reference has their AV (approximate value) calculation which rates the value of every player, by play-by-play contribution to team success, since 1950. There are about 270 players in the HOF out of about 13,000 to ever play, or about 2%. Urlacher, in total AV, ranks 61st since 1950 in total AV, and he’s 47th in AV per game. That AV per game puts him in such dodgy HOF (or soon to be HOF) company as Ronnie Lott, Brett Favre, Jim Ringo, Nick Buonoconti, Jerry Rice, and Rod Woodson. I’m a Packer fan and I know Urlacher is a HOFer. The only thing to not be sure about is he a first ballot HOFer. And since was a bit of prickly pear with the media, he might not be just to be taught a lesson by the fat, sweaty buffet jockeys.

117. ppdoc13 says: May 24, 2013 9:33 AM

The guy who said ray didn’t take away the middle of the field does not know the ravens. Perhaps at the end of his career that was true but how else would you explain all his ints. Urlacher was a great lb in this era. Ray was the goat

118. tmitch215 says: May 24, 2013 10:47 AM

This is a ridiculous conversation. Urlacher was a DOMINANT player and a very underrated athlete. When you think linebacker of the 2000′s you think Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher.

119. albanyjints says: May 24, 2013 10:27 PM

Scoonie97′

Carson belongs in the HOF, period.

120. sportsnut101 says: May 29, 2013 9:45 AM

Why is joe nameth in hof. I seen his qb numbers. They sucked yes he won super bowl but score was 13-3 n he was average at best

Brian will get in. He played just as great as ray Lewis. N he didn’t have Ed reed to back him up