Hoyer confident he can be a starter, and he may be right

Brian Hoyer AP

In many NFL cities, a new quarterback rolling into town in May and declaring himself a realistic option for a starting job would draw a polite nod, maybe a pat on the head.

In Cleveland, Brian Hoyer may be onto something.

The newest Browns passer said Thursday he was confident, and that “No doubt I have the capability to be a starting quarterback.”

He’s working as the third at the moment behind Brandon Weeden and Jason Campbell, but that would not be described as an insurmountable obstacle.

Hoyer started a game for the Cardinals on short notice last year, but hasn’t done much else other than stand behind Tom Brady for three years.

He also said the Browns haven’t told him about what his role might be.

“Nothing,” he said, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “I mean for me, I’m just coming out here. I’m so far behind these guys. I’m learning from Brandon and Jason and coach [Norv] Turner. Obviously there’s a great coaching staff here, so I’ve been asking them a lot of questions and just trying to catch up. I’m just thankful for the opportunity to compete for a spot on this team.

“Wherever that goes, we’ll see. But I’m just trying to take it day by day right now, improve myself, and hopefully every day the plays get a little bit easier, the calls get a little bit easier and things like that.”

Everyone’s taking a wait-and-see approach to Hoyer’s role, because unlike in other places, there’s a realistic chance it could be greater.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “Hoyer confident he can be a starter, and he may be right”
  1. hughtucker17 says: May 23, 2013 2:55 PM

If Sanchez can be a starter, Hoyer can certainly be one too

2. mrfrostyj says: May 23, 2013 2:57 PM

This belongs on the Jets page. Cleveland’s QB actually played fairly well last year and should only get better. I could definitely see Hoyer starting in front of Mark Sanchez though.

3. deucedropper says: May 23, 2013 3:03 PM

Eh, I’ll stick with giving Hoyer a polite nod, maybe a pat on the head.

4. bcgreg says: May 23, 2013 3:04 PM

C’mon. Seriously? You couldn’t beat out Brady for cryin out loud!

5. borophyll says: May 23, 2013 3:04 PM

Did anyone expect Hoyer to say something different?

Can we just let it go already with the Browns QB controversy stories?

6. coltzfan166 says: May 23, 2013 3:15 PM

Ok, the dude got cut as the Pats backup and was 4th on the depth chart in Arizona. And he’s supposed to from that to starting?

7. gallogj says: May 23, 2013 3:19 PM

My grandmother can be a starting QB in Cleveland and she has no arms or legs.

8. briang123 says: May 23, 2013 3:25 PM

With the competition in Cleveland, he probably will start.

9. usher716 says: May 23, 2013 3:31 PM

youth movement in cleveland? he is younger than weeden.

10. johnelwayishorsefaced says: May 23, 2013 3:36 PM

Sparty on!

11. adoombray says: May 23, 2013 3:39 PM

wait what? why are commenters talking about the Jets?

News flash to the media and to New Yorkers: it’s not all about you.

12. dirtybird70 says: May 23, 2013 3:42 PM

Never a good sign when your current starting QB graduated high school with Neil O’Donnel

13. blantoncollier says: May 23, 2013 3:44 PM

Please, the only guy other than Brian Hoyer who thinks he can start is Mike Lombardi.

Thankfully there are adults in Berea running the Browns other than Lombardi. Norv Turner has told the media multiple times this week, that basically Hoyer is a project. Its Weeden’s job to lose to Campbell.

If Hoyer was such a star he would have commanded more than his $250,000 guarantee in his contract.

14. kwjsb says: May 23, 2013 3:57 PM

Of course he may start, The Browns have used 3 or more QBs in 7 out of the last 10 years,

15. bigpap says: May 23, 2013 4:13 PM

Campbell should be the odds on favorite I suppose. He’s the only qb on the browns roster to throw more touchdowns than interceptions.

16. soup1282 says: May 23, 2013 4:35 PM

Sigh, I am glad he has a good attitude about it ( Everyone in the NFL should) but if he get’s playing time this year in the regular season, it’s going to be another long, long year.

17. steelerdynasty2010 says: May 24, 2013 7:41 AM

where was I when Hoyer morphed into the second coming? career benchwarmer and his signing makes everyone all excited?