LaMarr Woodley unfazed by anonymous criticism in locker room

Kansas City Chiefs v Pittsburgh Steelers Getty Images

When the Steelers were sifting through the wreckage of their 2012 season, Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley came in for criticism for his work ethic.

Steelers coaches said they wanted to see him work harder during the offseason while an unnamed teammate said that Woodley was “awful” in 2012 while opining that he was always hurt because he wasn’t working out hard enough. That led to other members of the Steelers complaining that the comments broke the code of the locker room, although Woodley says that the whole affair didn’t impact him.

“It doesn’t bother me at all. They’re coming at the wrong person when they try coming at me. I don’t listen to nothing,” Woodley said, via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “Playing football my whole life growing up, and you’re in the spotlight sometimes it comes with the good and the bad. You just have to know how to accept it. I’m one of those guys, I don’t pay attention to much at all. I just go out there and do what I’m supposed to do. And these guys on the team know what I go out there and do each and every day.”

Woodley, who says he’s healthy after last year’s ankle injury, claims he took no motivation from his critics, but teammate Larry Foote told WDVE that he’s seen an “extra-motivated” Woodley at workouts this spring and thinks he could put up a “defensive MVP-type” season. The Steelers will surely take that kind of production regardless of what inspired it.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “LaMarr Woodley unfazed by anonymous criticism in locker room”
  1. overratedsteelerhater says: May 23, 2013 10:43 AM

guess he as good as ray lewis to….

2. tombradyswig says: May 23, 2013 10:59 AM

the end is near for the squealers….
    another 8-8 season, maybe even worse!
    Tomlin is horrible!

3. ceteral says: May 23, 2013 11:13 AM

If I was unphased by something, I would do so in phases.

4. 3yardsndust says: May 23, 2013 11:20 AM

Woodley became a self-satisfied fat ass once he got paid. He has no interest in achieving anything on the field, and they should trade him to anyone stupid enough to think they can motivate him.

5. teeroyb says: May 23, 2013 11:24 AM

If the Steelers can pressure off the edge, the rest of the “old and slow” defense will play a lot better. There were times last year when we could not get to the QB at all. The same can be said for all teams…..if you can stop the run and get pressure on the QB, you have a good chance in any game you play.

6. sandersmarcus10 says: May 23, 2013 11:49 AM

Anonymous or unnamed = COWARD! If he’s your teammate then go to him and talk to him why talk to the media about it then smile in this guys face

7. bullybirds says: May 23, 2013 11:52 AM

Flacco should create a $120 million dollar bill and slap him with it.

8. tigershark49 says: May 23, 2013 11:52 AM

“I don’t listen to nothing.”
    -Lamar Woodley
    (Not even in grammar school)

9. steelcurtainn says: May 23, 2013 11:53 AM

Woodleys angry and you have number 1 pick Jarvis Jones coming to town. I see opposing qbs running for their lives this year. I’m talking about you Flacco, Dalton and Weeden. I wouldn’t bet against the “Wood”

10. ottomanismydog says: May 23, 2013 11:57 AM

“I don’t listen to nothing” .. does this include not listening to your coaching staff? Coach Butler, who did not remain anonymous, called him out for weighting 296 at training camp.

11. cliverush says: May 23, 2013 11:58 AM

Me, I, Me, I, Why would you listen to those liars when you can listen to me.

12. thesteelers says: May 23, 2013 11:59 AM

Steeler Nation never wavers. Steeler Nation never fades. Steeler Nation never loses (without league intervention).

13. Steeler's Didn't-but-Will-eventually says: May 23, 2013 12:03 PM

With a workhorse like Harrison (despite injuries he was never out of shape) in the locker room this guy was still a lazy bum. I’m guessing he’s only going to get worse.

14. keiselsbeard says: May 23, 2013 12:53 PM

The aggravating part is, if u criticize this idiot, ur just a “hater”. People have been calling him out on his conditioning for the last 2 seasons & nothing has changed. He doesn’t care, he got his money.

15. Joemontanaflacco says: May 23, 2013 12:56 PM

The locker room is officially dysfunctional. The FO is in total chaos. Bill Belichick has more control over the Steelers than their own management. I’d be real surprised if they won eight games. Sad. smh.

16. Nofoolnodrool says: May 23, 2013 1:02 PM

Joemontanaflacco | May 23, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT

I am sure this is another post based on pages of documented quotes to support your…..oh wait it’s fan boy practicing typing. So far so good on this lesson. Smh

17. jam11163 says: May 23, 2013 2:10 PM

sounds like iverson. practice, we talking about practice, practice man. not a game but practice.

18. citizenstrange says: May 23, 2013 2:18 PM

…. but teammate Larry Foote told WDVE that he’s seen an “extra-motivated” Woodley at workouts this spring and thinks he could put up a “defensive MVP-type” season.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If only they had a quarterback who could crack the top 20 in scoring offense.

19. bullybirds says: May 23, 2013 3:50 PM

Flacco will never win a Superbowl – LaMarr Woodley.

Foot meets mouth.

20. xinellum says: May 23, 2013 5:41 PM

I’m good. Ask me and I will tell you. I done been playing this game for years and no coach is gonna be telling me what to do. I don’t listen. No one else in this here locker room knows as much as me so as far as I am concerned they should shut up and listen to me, after all, I am great. I don’t know why they don’t just change the name to the Pittsburgh Woodley’s. Damn I am good. Oh and that Ben guy, he has no part in our success. Really, it was his fault we did so bad last year. Yeah, so I don’t listen and I don’t care.

Good job Tomlin, raising some fine gents under your tutelage.

21. fdugrad says: May 23, 2013 8:39 PM

Maybe, just maybe, he SHOULD start listening. Fat and stupid is no way to go through your career.

22. sbchampsagain says: May 23, 2013 11:21 PM

Chuck Noll is probably rolling in his grave hearing about such a disfunctional Steeler lockeroom.
    So sad to see a good franchise go bad.

23. bubbahotepp says: May 24, 2013 1:48 AM

“I don’t listen to nothing.” No kidding.

24. blkgld4lifer says: May 26, 2013 10:51 PM

All you armchair qb fools, Woodley’s comment I don’t listen to nothing is taken out of context. He simply means he doesn’t let a cowardly teammate’s negative comment affect him nor the comments of wannabe coaches who have nothing better to do than piss and moan about the state of the players and football team during the offseason. I don’t care about opposing clown fans but if you are a steeler fan who can’t find anything better to do than complain daily about the football team. Here’s an idea. Go root for the lame arse Brownies.