Reggie Bush: I came to Detroit to win championships

Lions Bush Football AP

Lions running back Reggie Bush is setting the bar high with his new team.

Bush said at the Lions’ Organized Team Activities on Wednesday that while he may have lived in more glamorous places than Detroit in the past (having played his college football in Los Angeles and his pro football in New Orleans and Miami), that doesn’t matter because he’s all business with the Lions. And he thinks the Lions are ready to get down to business.

“I came here to work,” Bush said, via the Detroit News. “I didn’t come here to vacation. I came here to win championships, to win football games, and that’s what I look forward to doing.”

Bush hinted that he’s happier with the Lions than he had been with the Saints and Dolphins.

“Some guys have been asking me, ‘How was Miami? How was South Beach,'” he said. “I tell them, you know, it’s nice but if the football isn’t right, it doesn’t matter where you are at. If your work isn’t right, you are not going to be happy. As long as we take care of business here, this can be an amazing place. I think it has a lot to offer. I look forward to getting into that stadium and hearing those fans be as loud as ever.”

If Bush really can help the Lions become a championship-caliber team, Lions fans will be louder than ever.

Permalink 98 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
98 Responses to “Reggie Bush: I came to Detroit to win championships”
  1. iluvbears says: May 23, 2013 6:59 AM

He does know that he joined the Lions, right? Sounds delusional to me.

2. noodlecbs says: May 23, 2013 7:04 AM

Good luck with that Reggie.

3. tshirttom says: May 23, 2013 7:04 AM

You can be an integral part of that scenario; bring on the skills and hard work. This is a championship-caliber team

4. agnda21 says: May 23, 2013 7:04 AM

Wow, he really is an idiot

5. noeffinway says: May 23, 2013 7:05 AM

This cat seems to be a good person all around. I hope he has a career season.

6. robinyount19 says: May 23, 2013 7:06 AM

If he came to Detroit to win championships , he should have signed with the Tigers. Clearly not a history buff.

7. faulkn22 says: May 23, 2013 7:06 AM

Its all on Stafford. They’ll go as far as he takes them. Bush will give them what they missed last season, though.

PS: Ford Field can get really loud, considering there hasn’t been much to cheer about for us in the last decade.

8. rahavort says: May 23, 2013 7:06 AM

…Should have went to New England bro

9. mymanmccoy says: May 23, 2013 7:07 AM

I guess there’s really only one thing to say to that: Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

10. gsomatt says: May 23, 2013 7:07 AM

You’re in for an uphill battle. GB is still the team to beat in that division.

11. shadowman1433 says: May 23, 2013 7:08 AM

That make perfect sense with Detroits long history of winning championships. Nobody comes to Detroit if they have any other choice.

12. ilikebjsongamedays says: May 23, 2013 7:09 AM

Happier in motor city eh? Well I guess it was the Saints’ fault that his job wasn’t producing the results (stats) he desired. Sorry for carrying you to a SB victory. Can we have our 2nd overall pick back and call it even?

13. stlsteelerfan says: May 23, 2013 7:09 AM

When I saw the title I thought it meant he switched to playing baseball or hockey.

14. bigbluwreckincrew83 says: May 23, 2013 7:11 AM

Lol.

15. purplepunisher says: May 23, 2013 7:11 AM

Apparently Reggie is unaware of the curse. I have lived in Michigan for 50 years and the one thing i am sure of in life is the Lions are cursed.

16. lennydpocketqb says: May 23, 2013 7:13 AM

He has to understand that aside from the one fluke year on that Saints team, he’s not all that and the bag of chips he professes to be to the Detroit faithful.

Reggie is the only pro player to be wildly haunted by his college past while in the NFL. That was very embarrassing to himself and his family regardless of how he tries to paint his last chance in the NFL.

17. andyb053 says: May 23, 2013 7:14 AM

“I came here to win championships”

…said an NFL player about Detroit for the first time ever.

But hey, it’s not too far-fetched.

18. 4512dawg4512 says: May 23, 2013 7:16 AM

He went to WHERE to do WHAT!?!? Thats hilarious!

19. specialteamsposter says: May 23, 2013 7:16 AM

Glad to hear all the right things from Bush, he should fit Linehan’s scheme well. Still wish the Lions had a legit #2 wr (burleson was already slowing down before breaking leg anyways). If Pettigrew finally has that monster season us lions fans have been waiting for, then maybe just maybe….

20. dabears2485 says: May 23, 2013 7:18 AM

LOL….good luck with that. This move was a waste of the team’s money. They got by fine with their 2-back approach last season. They should have gone out and signed a credible slot receiver like Amendola or Welker to take attention off of Johnson and Broyles.

21. dabears2485 says: May 23, 2013 7:18 AM

Oh…and a little defensive help would’ve gone a long way.

22. rodgersrodgersheisking says: May 23, 2013 7:20 AM

hahaha, my sides! stop! They’ll win nothing while they still have Stafford.

23. marjorine1 says: May 23, 2013 7:22 AM

Well, he didn’t go there for the nice weather and night life.

24. mdev1987 says: May 23, 2013 7:22 AM

Ummmm Reggie, they were worse than the fins last yr. Moron! Keep dancing in the backfield lol. Good riddance

25. youngs79 says: May 23, 2013 7:22 AM

Ha Ha! That is hilarious.

26. filthymcnasty1 says: May 23, 2013 7:23 AM

So he wasn’t a geography major at USC?

27. hehateme2 says: May 23, 2013 7:27 AM

Oh Reggie, you don’t know what you had until it’s lost. Good luck with the Lions.

28. jumpball81td says: May 23, 2013 7:28 AM

The only championship in Detroit will be the preseason championship. Get ready for 4-0 in August. Restore the Roar!

29. classactcalvin81 says: May 23, 2013 7:32 AM

Yea Bush love the attitude bro!! Get busy this season guys.

30. jbarr1 says: May 23, 2013 7:35 AM

Guess he found a way to beat the drug testing, huh?

31. widewideworldofsports says: May 23, 2013 7:35 AM

Good luck with that, bro’.

32. schiano4prez says: May 23, 2013 7:36 AM

How about starting out with words like “winning” or “playoffs”.

Words such as “championships” or “Super Bowl” should be avoided by free agent players who bounce from losing team to losing team.

33. whatjusthapped says: May 23, 2013 7:36 AM

I’m too lazy to look it up but aren’t the Lions the only team never to make it to the Superbowl?

34. billh1947 says: May 23, 2013 7:39 AM

Championships?really,with the Lions? you are far too old to ever be around when that happens Reg.as long as Shwartz is the head coach and a head case the players aint going anywhere significant except to court and to jail just as always.Reggie signing in Detroit only proves that players follow money and not Championships but they can and do always say different.

35. brian31471 says: May 23, 2013 7:56 AM

Reggie is a role player, not a feature back. That’s all he was with us (Saints), and why his Dolphin experience was nothing to write home about. Until he learns this, he’ll continue to disappoint.

36. kerc1986 says: May 23, 2013 7:58 AM

Out of top of my head, i dont think lions have won a S.B.
    Also bunch of better teams, 49ers, gb, giants, skins, falcons, saints (will be better this year) seattle, even chicago at this point is better than lions, bush was a hardworker here down in miami, but superbowl i doubt it, great offense, but horrible defense.

37. yourignorancespreads says: May 23, 2013 7:59 AM

I actually think this is true. I wish you the best Reggie and have a weird feeling that Detroit will be in the superbowl this year

38. dsimo says: May 23, 2013 8:06 AM

Imagine the outrage if a player said that he didn’t want to win the Super Bowl. Now put this comment in perspective.

39. nightofthehipple says: May 23, 2013 8:08 AM

Reggie. Apologies all the way around. I don’t think that will happen with Mayhew manning the helm. You are more likely to get a sinkingship than a championship.

40. westpalmlion says: May 23, 2013 8:09 AM

I don’t understand all the hatred in these comments. Do u expect him to say that he came here to be on a 8-8 team? Go worry about your own teams. Not to mention 90% of the people commenting have probably never stepped foot in Detroit or Michigan at all. Sorry we all cant be bandwagon packers, steelers, and patriot fans.

41. thraiderskin says: May 23, 2013 8:16 AM

If they can get that secondary together, Suh picks up his game and Stafford becomes a little more consistant, I don’t think that is far fetched. Not to many other teams that can stop Megatron and not to many teams with a DT duo like Suh and Fairley.

42. edhochuli says: May 23, 2013 8:19 AM

After reading the headline my first thought was “he switched sports and signed with the Tigers?”

43. isphet71 says: May 23, 2013 8:25 AM

The comments section for Lions articles is becoming more and more like a 4 hour marathon section of “You might be a redneck” jokes 10 years after they became not funny.

“It will never happen, it’s the LIONS. GUFFAW!” Get some new material, dudes. This theme is boring me.

44. bigjim50010 says: May 23, 2013 8:29 AM

Good job Reggie! Cant wait to see you lace them up at the Joe. With his speed and stickhandling ability he will be an added boost the Wings need… wait..what?

45. knucklehead93 says: May 23, 2013 8:31 AM

“I came to this 7-11 to win the PowerBall.”

46. dspyank2k11 says: May 23, 2013 8:31 AM

Thats the same thing as saying: I played the Lottery to win a million dollars!

Good Luck Reggie

47. purpleloki says: May 23, 2013 8:34 AM

Reggie came to Detroit to win championships. Drug test to follow…

48. chi01town says: May 23, 2013 8:35 AM

Reggie went to the Lions to WIN
    Championships! ha ha ha ha ha ha.
    what ever Reggie been Drinking I want some of that.

49. eatitfanboy says: May 23, 2013 8:35 AM

Does he think he signed with the Red Wings?

50. thesteelers says: May 23, 2013 8:47 AM

Should have come to Lombardi City, Pittsburgh (6 rings). We could use a professional bench-warmer.

51. tcmiller30 says: May 23, 2013 8:52 AM

I came to America to win the lottery. I like our odds Reggie.. I like our odds!

52. Norseman says: May 23, 2013 8:53 AM

What is it about the Lions that causes everyone to talk big about championships in the spring, get arrested in the summer, disappoint in the fall, and have nothing to say before Christmas?

Oh yeah, false bravado. Put up or shut up.

53. ggraver2 says: May 23, 2013 8:55 AM

They couldn’t build a championship team around Barry Sanders, how could they with a no talent Reggie Bush

54. japmen says: May 23, 2013 8:55 AM

He went to the only team that would pay that kind of money for a 3rd down scat back. Hell, he’s Detroit’s #2 WR already. Team might want to find a running game this year too.

55. noring4youstill says: May 23, 2013 8:56 AM

I just laughed a little

56. buffalomafia says: May 23, 2013 9:03 AM

Keep dreaming!!!!!

57. alansr1967 says: May 23, 2013 9:11 AM

The one thing that has me the most frustrated about the lions is the defensive co. when they called prevent in the colts game I thought that was the dumb. he is going to do the same thing again. Defense has too much talent

58. obamareallysucks says: May 23, 2013 9:23 AM

low IQ and obama supporter

59. mblue24 says: May 23, 2013 9:26 AM

Go Lions!! It can be done. Hell if Tampa did it we can.

60. beachsidejames says: May 23, 2013 9:27 AM

Detroit is like the Siberia of the NFL…I guess if Reggie says that stuff over and over even he might believe it. Funny my travel agent has a different destination in mind.

61. bucrightoff says: May 23, 2013 9:28 AM

Sure, if they wanna outscore everyone 41-38. But thats a bad defense right there.

62. westampa says: May 23, 2013 9:46 AM

He should make an R&B song titled “I Hit it Second”

63. willnit says: May 23, 2013 9:52 AM

I like the attitude. The sb is probably not in the cards this year. The Lions will sneak up to take the division, though.

64. cbs1971 says: May 23, 2013 9:56 AM

Hey Reggie, the only way you’re gonna win a championship in Detroit is if you switch sports and play hockey for the Red Wings…….

65. tvguy22 says: May 23, 2013 10:00 AM

If by “win championships” he means “cash some checks”, then I believe him.

66. liltifer says: May 23, 2013 10:09 AM

Big Miami fan and I was pleasantly surprised by Reggie once he joined the Dolphins. Great work ethic and seemed like a great teammate. Not at all the USC-diva people made him out to be and a much tougher runner than given credit for.

If the Phins don’t win it this year, I hope the Lions do…

67. cpo187 says: May 23, 2013 10:15 AM

Lions need to focus more on getting over that 6 win plateau. Maybe aim for a wildcard spot. Toughest division in football right now.

68. vikesgod28 says: May 23, 2013 10:32 AM

Shows you his intelligence level…..

69. miriam45 says: May 23, 2013 10:34 AM

As a Dolphin fan, I’m going to miss Reggie terribly. A class guy if there ever was one.

70. lks311 says: May 23, 2013 10:40 AM

Best fans in the NFL.

71. WatchThis says: May 23, 2013 10:48 AM

All the lazy guys are saying Bush is stupid for his words. His words about hard work are wise. A lot of people don’t take opportunity, because it’s disguised as hard work.

Any of you bums who sit around getting fat on the couch worked as hard as Bush, you might be doing more with your life.

72. WatchThis says: May 23, 2013 10:50 AM

Every competitor in the NFL should deem the Lions are GREAT opportunity to prove themselves. Getting this team to the Super Bowl would be an notable achievement for any team of competitors and any coaching staff.

And, it’ll take work to do it. Get off the couch, bums.

73. overratedsteelerhater says: May 23, 2013 10:53 AM

love to see them win,its about time.

74. masinick says: May 23, 2013 11:06 AM

Detroit is a championship city, and it is not a city for quitters. The baseball, basketball, and hockey franchises have all had success and championships. Local area college teams have also experienced success in several sports.

The Detroit Lions have a long history, but it dates back to the mid fifties since they last had success, so they have not even gone to a Super Bowl. Bobby Layne was their last championship quarterback.

The Lions did have some good runs in eras with Greg Landry (QB) and Charlie Sanders (TE), and later with Gary Danielson (QB), Herman Moore (WR), and Barry Sanders (RB).

It’s not like they have not had any good teams; they’ve lacked the ability to handle every possible detail, get it right, and carry that to a championship.

I lived in New England for 26 years and the Boston Red Sox lived through “the curse of Babe Ruth” – they traded Ruth from the Sox to the Yankees, and Ruth promptly, with his excellence, helped New York to build Yankee Stadium, “The House that Ruth Built”.

Boston overcame that curse in 2004 and has won twice.

Detroit has not gone as long in football without a winner as Boston did in baseball, so don’t count out Detroit.

I do have my doubts that Bush alone is enough to make the difference. On offense, defense, and special teams, the Lions need to be much more consistent: fewer unforced errors, generate a positive turnover ratio, make game changing plays, and don’t force the team every week to make come-back wins. Those are good, but it’s better to have every facet of the game working right.

Lions are fairly weak in their defensive secondary; without fixing that, their offense is going to have to be #1. If Bush (RB), Stafford (QB), and Johnson (WR) are all healthy, the offense ought to be top three in the league.

If the defense can improve to top ten and the offense can be top three, I wouldn’t count out the Lions, but the chances of going all the way are, at best, 1-10 to 1-15, and at worst, of course, 1-32.

75. mvp43 says: May 23, 2013 11:16 AM

You do realize that you’re in Detroit?

76. tdsnbeers says: May 23, 2013 11:19 AM

Don’t rip on the guy, he is just trying to find a new atmosphere. CJ Spiller went to Buffalo because they are going to be a championship caliber team soon. I appreciate guys like Reggie who will step out of the most popular teams and most desirable teams and go up north where it might be cold, and play for a rust belt team like Detroit. Similar to my situation in Buffalo so I gotta appreciate a guy like that. Championship caliber or not, hes got some class. I hope he has a break out season and rushes for 1,600 yards. (Don’t get injured)

77. aewing1 says: May 23, 2013 11:19 AM

Gotta love the bush, but he came to Detroit to win 5-7 games TOPS

78. rtwoj says: May 23, 2013 11:20 AM

Championships?

In what? Table Hockey?

79. trevsabeast says: May 23, 2013 11:24 AM

He wants to win… how shocking! How many of these athletes are gonna come out and say “Hey, I came here cause I want to lose!” …. this is just so news worthy

80. majormeatcurtains says: May 23, 2013 11:27 AM

Detroit has a lot to offer. Just ask the guy on the street corner wearing the Suh jersey, he’ll offer something fo sho. Or check the dude in the blue fur cap and faux mink coat if ya’ll wanna git down bro. Plenty to offer and all for $20 or less.

81. bigdawgdaddy says: May 23, 2013 11:29 AM

You sir are a Liar…..
    We all know the Jaguars are going to win the super bowl this year….
    See how easy it is to tell a lie….

82. otis52gsh says: May 23, 2013 11:42 AM

So I guess if he is there to win, he is switching to baseball?

83. annes22 says: May 23, 2013 12:17 PM

Maybe you went to the wrong place then Reggie??

84. mackcarrington says: May 23, 2013 12:20 PM

I think Bush used to be full of himself and a little egotistical when he first came out of college. I think getting USC sanctioned and placed on probation, and becoming persona non-grata on the USC campus has humbled him. He was defiant at first, but he gave back his Heisman Trophy. I think he is a different guy these days. Nobody called him a slacker while he was in Miami. Detroit fans (and others) should keep an open book on Reggie.

85. goldrush36 says: May 23, 2013 12:36 PM

Yet another lions article with no comments from MJK77 or LDG but they sure were quick to talk smack on the crabtree article. Two more fake troll fans just like logicalvoice

86. jonbeck316 says: May 23, 2013 12:38 PM

He came to Detroit to win championships and got mugged instead

87. fwippel says: May 23, 2013 12:41 PM

Does Reggie realize that the Lions are the only NFC team that has never played in a Super Bowl?

In fact, since 1990, 14 of the 16 NFC teams have reached the Super Bowl. Only the Lions and Vikings haven’t gone.

88. texansdude says: May 23, 2013 1:06 PM

I can’t believe he’s been in the league this long and still doesn’t understand he’s never been one of the best five players on any of the teams he’s been on! So he still talks like he is the difference. Geez.

89. malab377 says: May 23, 2013 1:08 PM

Sorry to say that Reggie, but without Titus Young, there is no SuperBowl for Detroit…

90. thestrategyexpert says: May 23, 2013 2:19 PM

That’s great, once we get a GM that badly wants to win a championship and knows how to help with that, then there will be nothing left to do but win. Be patient Reggie.

91. packerbadger says: May 23, 2013 4:12 PM

LOL!

92. onbucky96 says: May 23, 2013 4:19 PM

Hi, we’re Green Bay. We’ve won 4 Super Bowls and have Aaron Rodgers. How are you?

93. audioflint says: May 23, 2013 4:33 PM

Going 4-12 and winning the big game the following year is not a far-fetched dream. Ever heard of “The Greatest Show on Turf”? They did it. If the Lions stay healthy they will be a difficult team to deal with.

94. packerbadger says: May 23, 2013 4:34 PM

We’ve also won 13 total NFL titles…more than anybody else. Same title, different name. Oh, did mr bucky mention we also have Aaron Rodgers?

95. audioflint says: May 23, 2013 5:20 PM

Green Bay fans, we don’t care about what you’ve done in the past. This is a ‘what have you done for me lately?’ league. And the answer to that question, for both Detroit and Green Bay, is choke.

96. straighcashhomie84 says: May 23, 2013 8:00 PM

Please don’t use Lions and Championship in the same sentence

97. lushy21 says: May 24, 2013 12:03 AM

^actually they have 4 championships so you can use them in the same sentence together. Just because it wasn’t called the superbowl doesn’t mean it wasn’t for all the marbles. Party like it’s 1957 Detroit! One of americas true great cities! Birthplace of the automobile, birthplace of mass production, Motown the motor city! Paris of the west as it was once called. Keep hating I will keep cheering.

98. leoskoolaid says: May 25, 2013 5:36 PM

To all the critics out there after a top five offense and top five defense and a deep run into the playoffs don’t jump on the leos bandwagon it will be so unbecoming Lions to the Superbowl 2013-2014