Brady on Welker leaving: Nothing surprises me anymore

AFC Champiohship Football AP

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady says the loss of his favorite receiver, Wes Welker, didn’t come as a surprise. Because Brady has been around long enough to know that there are no safe jobs in the NFL.

I don’t think anything surprises me any more in the NFL,” Brady said on WEEI. “I’ve been around long enough to see things happen at different times with the greatest players of all, whether that’s Wes, or Randy Moss being traded from the Raiders, or Brett Favre playing for the Jets and the Vikings. That’s what happens. Like I said, it’s a very tough, competitive business.

There were reports after Welker signed with the Broncos that Brady was upset, but Brady declined to get into any of that.

“Of course I have feelings. But those feelings are very personal to me,” he said. “I used to get caught up in anger and frustration and disappointment. But I don’t make the decisions. These things aren’t up to me. At some point you’ve got to realize the things that are out of your control. You’ve just got to let go and focus on my job and what I need to do. Because the game moves on, the team moves on. There’s only so long you can dwell on the past. At some point you’ve got to move forward. Like I said, my job for my team is to be the best quarterback, and not the general manager and not the coach and not the owner.”

If Brady were the general manager or the coach or the owner, he’d probably list Welker as the first guy he’d want on his team. But as a quarterback, he’s committed to making it work with whatever receivers he has.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
50 Responses to “Brady on Welker leaving: Nothing surprises me anymore”
  1. inyofaceagain says: May 24, 2013 8:47 AM

If I was Welker I’d jump ship before it sank too. I don’t live anywhere near Boston and I’ve always disliked the Pats. Bellichek cheating solidified it all. The truth is, the haven’t been relevant since they got caught cheating (sans the year they went 16-0 and choked in the Superbowl). Their last chance at glory with Brady and Bellichek was that year, with Moss. They haven’t even been a threat since. I hope Brady and Bellichek just go away. It’s 2013 and The Pats are about as relevant as the Dolphins.

2. thedoubleentandres says: May 24, 2013 8:48 AM

Even as a Broncos fan, I have admired Wes Welker for years, I always liked to see him play except for when it was against us. Its almost like a double signing for Denver because not only do we get an awsome receiver but arguably our fiercest rivals for the AFC this year lost one of their biggest weapons. I am just salivating at the prospect of Peyton and this guy on the same field.

On a side note Ive just started a blog for the good folks who have nothing better to do than talk Football, give my name a click if you have fantasy knowledge I can use.

3. packersareandwillalwaysbebetterthanthebears says: May 24, 2013 8:52 AM

How does this change the chances he ends his career with the Jets?

4. oaklegend says: May 24, 2013 8:53 AM

Gotta love it when a sports news site reports multiple sentences by an NFL player that you actually nod your head in agreement with. So rare.

*btw, it was a fumble.

5. hooks024 says: May 24, 2013 8:54 AM

Remember when his favorite kicker left him for Peyton Manning? The following year he got to lose a Superbowl to Peyton’s kid brother. Here’s hoping history repeats itself.

6. Patriot42 says: May 24, 2013 8:55 AM

Personal feelings in sports can be Achilles’ heel for success.

7. boblavoie says: May 24, 2013 8:57 AM

There is no other QB that I’d want for my team. Total gent, thoughtful, level headed, competitive and, most importantly, an effective leader. As long as he’s New England’s QB, they will have a winning record. Hall of Fame, first ballot.

8. papazoid says: May 24, 2013 8:58 AM

what do you expect him to say ? “we’re doomed ? Brady did everything possible to keep Welker including taking a contract significantly below market value to help his team. Welker is his friend and was his favorite target. life in the NFL is short and harsh, next man up !

9. 11inthebox says: May 24, 2013 9:02 AM

It always tickles me when fans repeatedly shout: “it’s a business” in regards to players.

No one understands that it’s a business more than the players themselves. That’s why they play for as much money as they can.

Of course that pisses people off, too.

10. mtkenney says: May 24, 2013 9:03 AM

What a cry baby.

11. tomcous says: May 24, 2013 9:03 AM

Brady was publicly quiet about the Welker ordeal … I’m no fan of Brady or the Patriots, but TommyBoy got shafted *BigTime* with his very team-friendly contract only to see Wes be lowballed. Mr. Kraft did not do right by Brady or the NE fan base …

Amendola is good, but does not have career totals that even compare to the last 2 years of Wes! …

12. Patskrieg dot com says: May 24, 2013 9:08 AM

Brady has found his own ways of publicly expressing displeasure when he thinks his receivers suck. He must actually like Amendola.

13. groleo45 says: May 24, 2013 9:11 AM

I know, Patriot way and all that, but it was a mistake letting Welker walk. Brady knows it.

14. bmore44 says: May 24, 2013 9:16 AM

Brady gives a discount and loses his go to guy. Let’s see, if Danny can last the whole season. I think that was a slap in face to brady. You see what deal got done first.

15. jagsfan1 says: May 24, 2013 9:23 AM

“Taping other teams, cutting guys the day before a Super Bowl, David Beckham wanna be QB’s who care more about fashion shows and looking cute than winning championships, star players getting career threatening injuries on extra points when the team is up by 30…..nothing surprises me anymore” – said the recent 2 time Super Bowl losing qb and last year’s AFC Championship game losing qb

16. jcmeyer10 says: May 24, 2013 9:39 AM

He says all the right things…

I just want to be the fly on the wall when he talks about this in private.

17. rubicon202 says: May 24, 2013 9:41 AM

blah, b-blah, b-blah, b-blah…same generic answer we heard from a hundred QB’s b4, who cares!

18. giantssb42champs says: May 24, 2013 9:43 AM

I love his hair.

19. whatjusthapped says: May 24, 2013 9:51 AM

I wonder if Brady was surprised when Matt Walsh delivered the video tapes?

20. xxsweepthelegxx says: May 24, 2013 9:55 AM

tomcous says:
    May 24, 2013 9:03 AM

———————————–
    I agree with your first paragraph, but you can’t compare Danny’s stats with Wes, he’s 5 years younger…..and Wes has 6 years with Brady throwing him the ball, including the most prolific passing season of all time in 07 with Moss, et all.

21. flash1283 says: May 24, 2013 9:55 AM

inyofaceagain says: May 24, 2013 8:47 AM

—–
    People are so stupid, “The truth is, the haven’t been relevant since they got caught cheating”

Yet you took the time to comment on a team that’s “not relevant”.

22. michaeljacksonisback says: May 24, 2013 9:58 AM

He needs a mark Sanchez head band! He will retire as a Jet

23. napgamer says: May 24, 2013 10:03 AM

Of course he’s sad to see him go. Who else is he or his wife going to blame for dropped passes in the big game. LOL

24. ampats says: May 24, 2013 10:06 AM

Gotta love all the hate here today. Pats haven’t been relative since they got caught cheating. Guess having the best record in the NFL since then doesn’t matter ? Most fans on this site would give anything just to have their team in a Super Bowl but winning the division every year and competing for the Super Bowl dosn’t matter.

I am going to miss Welker but Belichick knows when a player starts to decline and not overpay. Welker dropped 13 passes last year which is about 10% of passes thrown to him.

Just another thing for the haters to think about, if the Patriots are in such decline, then why does Vegas have them favored in every game for 2013??? I believe the oddsmakers in Vegas are smarter than most of the idiots who post on this site.

25. toonloonboon says: May 24, 2013 10:07 AM

wahhhhh, i make millions of dollars, bang a model, and play a game for a living, wahhhhh

26. crazybeardedjack says: May 24, 2013 10:14 AM

Does anyone else just sit back and laugh and laugh when jagsfan1 tries to talk any kind of trash about any team or player? I get a kick out of it

27. jsho55 says: May 24, 2013 10:18 AM

inyofaceagain says:
    May 24, 2013 8:47 AM

————————————————–

They havent been a threat since 2007?

The last 2 seasons they’ve gone to the AFC championship game, and the Super Bowl. They’ve made the playoffs 4 out of those 5 years. And the one year they didnt make the playoffs they had an 11-5 record with a backup QB.

Bash all you want but they are one of the few teams that are a threat EVERY year.

28. mjdkid100 says: May 24, 2013 10:20 AM

inyofaceagain says: May 24, 2013 8:47 AM

——————-

The best part about this post is that every single person that reads it absolutely knows you’re full of it and trying to troll.

You can hate them all you want, but to say they are irrelevant since going 16-0, could not be farther from the truth with 2 Super Bowl Trips, AFCCG trips.

29. bcgreg says: May 24, 2013 10:27 AM

You people do realize that Welker was offered a bigger contract a year ago than what he signed for in Denver 2 months ago, right? Welker wanted to test free agency because he thought NE’s original offer was low. He and his agents miscalculated the market. NE adjusted their offer to reflect the market. Welker went to Denver for less than NE’s original offer. NE simply will not OVERpay for anyone.

I’ll miss Wes, but if anyone thinks he’ll catch 100 balls in Denver with Thomas and Decker already there, then you’re fooling yourself unless Denver plans on throwing the ball 900 times or unless Thomas or Decker get hurt.

30. twang621 says: May 24, 2013 10:30 AM

Inyofaceagain, you do understand the Pats have been in the Super Bowl or AFCCG basically half the time? Sounds pretty relevant to me. You just sound like a butt hurt hater.

31. milehighmagician says: May 24, 2013 10:31 AM

The patriots got a winning way but you have to admit, they lost the clutch when they got caught. Oh and Welker is a Bronco!! Him, DT and Manning are gonna light all your teams up next year and theirs no weird fan ritual you can do about it!! LOSERS!!!

32. bcgreg says: May 24, 2013 10:32 AM

@ whatjusthapped

Umm, Matt Walsh didn’t deliver ANY videotapes to the NFL. It’s why the Boston Globe had to issue a retraction for a false accusation.

33. tim3711 says: May 24, 2013 10:33 AM

inyofaceagain says: May 24, 2013 8:47 AM

———————

I guess that fifth trip to the superbowl 2 years ago, and last years AFC championship game is just an irrelevant fluke huh? Continue to live in your fairy tale world. You morons have been saying this ship has been sinking for atleast 5 years and they continue to dominate the AFC. And if your going to knock a guy on here…spell his name right. No wonder your comment was asinine.

34. bostoncommon says: May 24, 2013 10:37 AM

tomcous says:May 24, 2013 9:03 AM
    “Mr. Kraft did not do right by Brady or the NE fan base.”

And a lot of us are still really ticked off.

35. jwh8541 says: May 24, 2013 10:38 AM

“ampats says:
    May 24, 2013 10:06 AM
    Gotta love all the hate here today. Pats haven’t been relative since they got caught cheating. Guess having the best record in the NFL since then doesn’t matter ? ”

Nope.

Its “relevant” not “relative” by the way but in regards to discussing great teams the discussion usually centers around Superbowl winners.

Unless of course you lost your SBs then you want to discuss wins.

In any case I suggest Pats are probably the most disregarded, if not reviled, SB winner ever and that goes back to the fact it was documented your coach cheated and the league covered it up.

You can rationalize it all you want but most football fans see Pats’ championships as tainted and cannot wait for them to fall.

36. hartleechung says: May 24, 2013 10:40 AM

The Patriots won the last DECADE! Plus, they are going to do some damage for a few more years at least with Brady around. Suck it up!

37. flash1283 says: May 24, 2013 10:53 AM

jwh8541 says: May 24, 2013 10:38 AM

——–

And that would be called jealousy…

38. flash1283 says: May 24, 2013 11:05 AM

And if a team isn’t “relevant” why do they have MORE prime time games (Sunday or Monday night) this season than the team that just won the Super Bowl?

39. harrisonhits2 says: May 24, 2013 11:05 AM

@jagsfan1,

LOL at a Jags fan making fun of ANY other team. There are few franchises that have been as unsuccessful as the Jags.

Have fun enjoying another losing season and no playoffs.

40. jwh8541 says: May 24, 2013 11:16 AM

flash1283 says:
    May 24, 2013 10:53 AM
    jwh8541 says: May 24, 2013 10:38 AM

——–

And that would be called jealousy…

—–

You should probably look the word up. Jealous? lol, Jealous of what? Winning through deceit? I would never want my team to win that way.

41. flash1283 says: May 24, 2013 11:19 AM

@ jwh8541 and what team would that be?

42. bigwii says: May 24, 2013 11:27 AM

It’s jealousy haters are going to hate you trolls get back under your bridges you sound ridiculous. If what they’ve done is irrelevant more teams should be irrelevant. Your mad your teams haven’t had the success this team has. Yes you all sound like jealous haters.

43. rushmatic says: May 24, 2013 11:30 AM

inyofaceagain says:

_____________

Keep telling yourself this if it helps. I can live with that, but normal people know, haters or not, that they’re relevant every year. Vegas says so again this year already. Keep dreamin’ Yets fan.

44. TheWizard says: May 24, 2013 12:03 PM

The Pats made solid offers to Welker.

Belichick obviously didn’t feel he was worth going all-out for money-wise, and I think it’s been obvious there’s been some tension between them.

I don’t wish Wes any ill will, but it was the right time for the move.

45. toolkien says: May 24, 2013 12:13 PM

If the best record in football, along with the best point differential, 5th best yardage differential, and the second best turnover margin from 2008 on isn’t being a threat, then I’d want to know what the definition of threat is. They have been the strongest team in football the last 5 years. They just haven’t closed it in the playoffs. But by any definition, they’re a threat.

46. CKL says: May 24, 2013 12:20 PM

TB was really messed up when BB cut Milloy who was one of his good friends. It was so obvious, and he definitely made it known to the media. Since then, he’s been much more circumspect about these things publicly which is a good thing.

MF thinks his latest contract is a sham and it will get redone in a few years. We shall see. I look at it as he is acknowledging that even he will someday be in the position that top dollar is not what he will be worth and he too will get replaced. Playing for middle of the road money will make it more likely he will play his whole career for the Pats, and I like that thought.

47. thegronk87 says: May 24, 2013 1:45 PM

Welker was in belichick’s doghouse ever since he cost them SB46

48. hamiltos777 says: May 24, 2013 3:26 PM

Brady is Management in New England now. He’s a company man and he made that decision a long time ago.

Newsflash folks, Wes Welker wasn’t THE Wes Welker before he got the to the Pats (Tho I’m sure Wes will do just fine in Denver with Peyton.) Amendola has played with who exactly in St Louis? I love Wes as much as the next guy but I have no doubt that Amendola will be putting up similar numbers in no time (so long as he stays healthy…)

49. bigwii says: May 25, 2013 1:51 AM

Let’s be honest the Pats are box office they’re the team people watch whether you love them or hate them all of you haters are talking about them.

The Pats are always coming out of your mouths hate them that’s fine but is Pats fans and New Englanders just laugh at all if you and your pathetic insults.

50. chlstn says: May 25, 2013 8:11 AM

Moss had his career high year with Brady. Walker has been very successful with Brady as well but like Moss may not be in the future. For you Pats haters, see you in the playoffs.