Jared Allen has “absolutely no idea” if he’ll stay with the Vikings

Jared Allen AP

Earlier this week, Vikings defensive end Jared Allen said that he and the Vikings “haven’t talked one iota” about a new contract, but you can’t say the same about his conversations with the media.

Allen told Dan Wiederer of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that he has “absolutely no idea” where he will wind up playing in 2014 after his contract, which will pay him more than $14 million in 2013, with the Vikings expires. He’s seen veteran teammates like Matt Birk and Antoine Winfield wind up heading elsewhere and knows that this might be it for him in Minnesota, something that he admits would not be the case in his best-case scenario.

“Best-case scenario would have been that we would have never gotten to this point. Best-case scenario would have been the organization would have gotten something done a few years back,” Allen said. “Well ya know what? That’s not the case. And I understand it. … I’m just happy I’m in a spot where both sides are honoring the contract.”

As Wiederer points out, the Vikings and Allen could split up no matter how this year plays out. If Allen plays well, he’ll likely be too expensive for the Vikings to keep. If he doesn’t, they might feel like it is time to move on to a younger and cheaper player at defensive end. Allen isn’t overly concerned about either scenario.

“I kind of feel like I hold all the cards in that aspect,” Allen said. “And if it doesn’t work out with the Vikings, I’m not too worried that I won’t be able to find a job, ya know?”

The lack of dialogue on an extension, which would make Allen’s cap hit significantly lower, suggests that the Vikings are just as willing to let the chips fall where they may after the 2013 season. And that makes it a lot likelier that this is Allen’s final year in purple.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
51 Responses to “Jared Allen has “absolutely no idea” if he’ll stay with the Vikings”
  1. inyofaceagain says: May 24, 2013 9:17 AM

It all depends on how you play #69. He knows this. If he has a monster year he will get a nice offer from the Vikings. Its that simple. Mr. Speilman is no dummy. I expect great things from #69, he’s only 32 or 33 and he’s the best DE in the NFC. Packer fans better hope that patchwork O-line holds up, because Jared is an animal.

2. spideysdog says: May 24, 2013 9:17 AM

Jared has been a great player in this league for a long time. he is definitely deserving of a call up from the minors and we will welcome him in to the rotation of the major league club in Seattle.

See ya soon bud. keep up the great work.

3. spcoltrane says: May 24, 2013 9:23 AM

As a Lions fan, I would love to see Allen out of the NFC north. He’s been a dominant player for a long time. I’d like to see him playing against Brady, either Manning brother, RGIII, etc. twice a year instead of Stafford and company.

4. floratiotime says: May 24, 2013 9:23 AM

Shut up you ungrateful drunk.

5. We need Bud Grant says: May 24, 2013 9:26 AM

I think this is his last year with the Vikes. I have to admit, I did not see this coming, but they are clearly getting younger. I guess it makes sense, but it really seems like the window to make a run at the Super Bowl while AD is in his prime is closing fast. What a waste of a career of arguably the most talented RB in the NFL.

6. toonloonboon says: May 24, 2013 9:30 AM

what kind of grown man, playing defensive end, wears #69?? butthead.

7. Bluestree says: May 24, 2013 9:30 AM

This must be a Vikings thread. How can you tell? Easy, the first post mentions the Packers.

8. kotcha23 says: May 24, 2013 9:35 AM

$14 million for this year seems like a lot to me. I think he nailed it that he’s happy to be in a situation where both are honoring the contract.

9. tangysizzl says: May 24, 2013 9:39 AM

Shows what you know Inyoface, Allen is only 31. There is a saying “Its better to be thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt”

That goes for about half of the antagonist posters on this site.

10. tiggerblood says: May 24, 2013 9:39 AM

Seahawks will tank this year, because they’re kinda getting dream team ish and the fans are talking like they’re the greatest thing since sliced bread the trap is set good luck. Now back to Jared Allen he’ll make a pretty penny anywhere he goes. Have no clue what the Vikes are up too but the possibility of losing Williams and Allen would be devastating I mean would their other D-linemen be as effective without two of the best in the game today?

11. gbmickey says: May 24, 2013 9:46 AM

Just like I said he is getting pissed and is voicing his displeasure. Spielman screwed up and should have resigned him before his contract year like the Packes did with Matthews. He will be gone after the season or the Vikings will way overpay much like they did for oft injured Jennings. Let the schism begin.

12. jrmbadger says: May 24, 2013 9:46 AM

Allens cap hit this year is 17 million. His salary is 14, but his cap number is 17.

I’m surprised they wouldn’t restructure the deal, but then again the Vikings management has failed to extend Frasier’s deal as well.

I’m guessing there are some major changes planned for the Vikings this next year.

If Spielman had a clue, he’d have drafted Barkley this year to compete with that noodle arm Ponder. What do they have to lose?

13. inyofaceagain says: May 24, 2013 9:49 AM

tangysizzl says: May 24, 2013 9:39 AM

——–

HAHA! Yes I am a “fool” because I thought Jared was 32 and he is in fact 31. How could I make such a mistake?! Shame on me!

31 or 32 he’s the best DE in the NFC.
    Hopefully he plays like someone who deserves 13 million this season… or is it 12 million?!! tangysizzl, which one is it? I wouldn’t want to look a “fool”.

14. twonis says: May 24, 2013 9:55 AM

Well I can understand the Vikings reluctance to resign him early as he has had a significant drop in production over the last few…. Wait, what? He’s been consistently having high-caliber seasons?

Yeah, Spielman’s kind of an idiot.

Hey JAllen, drop 15-20 lbs and come to Green Bay and play OLB. Capers can draw up blitz packages where he has Clay and Allen both coming from the same side…call it “The Meat Grinder”.

15. Carl Gerbschmidt says: May 24, 2013 9:56 AM

Why would you re-sign a 30+ year old DE when you’re clearly in rebuilding mode? If speilman were truly a magician, he’d trade AD for a king’s ransom. Why keep AD around when he only has 2-3 more years left and you’re obviously rebuilding? Soemtimes it astounds me how dumb you vike fans are.

16. whatjusthapped says: May 24, 2013 9:59 AM

Allen shouldn’t be happy that both sides are honoring (a word rarely used in talking about the Vikings) the contract, he should be thrilled!

$14 million is a boatload of money to pay for his production. If the Viking’s GM had any brains (another word rarely used in talking about the Vikings), he would start negotiating a pay cut. Mask inside a contract extension where you can tell the gullible (an apt description for all Viking fans) public that you are thrilled that Allen has chosen to finish his career with the Vikings. The irony of course is that Allen’s career is nearly finished already, the last two to figure that out will be the Vikings and Jared Allen himself.

17. dwarftosser says: May 24, 2013 10:03 AM

Of course they haven’t resigned him yet, and who can blame them? He’s been a huge disappointment in Minnesota.. sure he’s a dominant DE who gets a ton of sacks and has been in the conversation for DPOY the last few years.. but he shaved his mullet! When you sign a guy who has a hair cut awesome and he betrays your trust just a few years later by shaving it off? That’s a disgrace.

18. EJ says: May 24, 2013 10:06 AM

I’d be ecstatic to see Allen come to Buffalo for his few final years. I think a line consisting of Mario Williams, Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams and Jared Allen would be practically unstoppable. It would definitely be a big step toward slowing down Brady and the Patriots. I don’t think the Bills could afford paying for two of the top 5 highest paid Defenders, but Its definitely an exciting thought.

19. tiggerblood says: May 24, 2013 10:10 AM

Why doesn’t he gain 15-20 lbs. and play DE for the Pack because outside of Pickett and sometimes Raji their D-line sucks. Just trying to help delusional “cheese heads” that somehow think they’ll be able to regain ’10-’11 glory. How many players have they lost since the championship year anyway? They got their rings now its all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

20. tiggerblood says: May 24, 2013 10:14 AM

Yea rebuilding teams make the playoffs….. Simp.

21. spideysdog says: May 24, 2013 10:14 AM

tiggerblood,

that’s right, my hawks are getting “dream teamish”. I get your reasoning. they went out an added Percy Harvin, Antoine Winfield, Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril and a couple of nice draft picks to a team that went 11-5 last year (10-6 legitimately) and lost almost nothing of significance.

No, your reasoning is extremely sound. Really. It is. Acquiring veteran talent to a loaded roster that is extremely young and hungry is a terrible idea. LOL. hate on my friend. Enjoy Christian Ponder. Him and the rest of the roster will have all of January – June, to watch the playoffs, enjoy the off season, waste another year of the greatest RB in the world’s career and PONDER why it is, the the mighty Spielman keeps letting Pro Bowl talent leave Minn and trots out one of the WORST QBs in the league.

Good luck with that.

22. inyofaceagain says: May 24, 2013 10:15 AM

Carl Gerbschmidt says: May 24, 2013 9:56 AM

——

Gerbie- stick to Packer posts. Adrian has 5 years left on his contract. Not 2-3.
    Oh yeah and a 10 win season is not “re-building mode” not by anybodys standards. But yeah, us Vikings fans are dumb ones, sure.

23. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 24, 2013 10:21 AM

They don’t need to extend him now because they have enough salary cap room to sign their draft choices. Is there some big-name free agent out there that we’re planning on signing? If Jared wanted an extension that bad, his agent could contact the Vikings about it. Spielman will offer him a fair contract based on the year he has this year. They are getting younger but they’re close enough that they aren’t going to let players go who can help them win right now. By the way, Jared should check out what kind of contracts free agent defensive ends got this year. I think the Vikings would give him more than he would get on the open market.

24. albertmn says: May 24, 2013 10:23 AM

He would only have gotten extended if he were willing to lower the salary and/or cap number. The Vikings aren’t going to extend a player on the wrong side of 30 for the same money he is making. But, Allen has gone on local radio saying that the Vikings better not approach him about restructuring to take a cut or he will “walk out the door”. So, how exactly were the Vikings supposed to extend him if he isn’t willing to take less? He is a good player, whose effort is usually good, but varies at times, but he isn’t worth extending at his same salary. Maybe if he is playing in a “contract year”, the Vikes will get full effort this season and then bid him farewell in the offseason.

25. Carl Gerbschmidt says: May 24, 2013 10:26 AM

@tiggerblood.

HA HA HA. They ain’t making the playoffs this year, m’boy!

26. bdickey33 says: May 24, 2013 10:26 AM

92% of the comments on this article should not have been written.

Person #1 – Thinks the Seahawks are somehow now the Patriots because they made the playoffs once.

Person #2 – Thinks somehow Jared Allen is unhappy getting paid $14 mil this year and with a good year probably getting tagged next year at around the same price if not higher. One good year will get him about $30 mil over 2 years and then free agency? How could anyone be mad at that?

Person #3 – Packers troll

Person #4 – Does not understand the franchise tagging system and calls Speilman an idiot. – They will not lose Allen if they want to keep him. He has alot of miles on his body. It is worth overpaying him a little this year to see if he is rejuvinated or deserves a significantly lower contract than what they would have to offer him now.

Someone get a clue!

27. tdk24 says: May 24, 2013 10:28 AM

I heard he want’s to play with Kluwe.

28. prideof10000lakes says: May 24, 2013 10:29 AM

Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    May 24, 2013 9:56 AM

*********

Ditto with Rodgers being one concussion away from sittin next to Troy Aikman. Also, the older people are called veterans.

I know JA loves the state and the fans as I often hear about him enjoying the great outdoors of the state and has often commented on living here when he is done, but he’ll need to come down to earth with his askin price if he wants to stay. Especially since they are moving to a rotational situation at d end and line.

Shows what a class organization the vikes are for honoring such a contract. Too bad other organizations don’t do that for the same people who took their team from irrelevant to relevant. *Cough* sorry I had cheese stuck in my throat.

29. johnnyb216 says: May 24, 2013 10:44 AM

Prideof100lakes,
    LOL! It doesnt show what a class organization the queens are! It shows how dumb of an organization they are! LOL! Get with the times, dude!

30. mullman76 says: May 24, 2013 10:48 AM

He would look great in Silver and Black.

31. fwippel says: May 24, 2013 10:55 AM

The Viking front office needs to realize that Allen performance has shown no signs of slowing down, and he’s not going to be slowing down this year either.

You don’t let your best players just walk away. While I’ve been pleased with Speilman’s drafts over the past couple of years, he needs to get Allen signed long-term so Jared can retire a Viking.

32. Carl Gerbschmidt says: May 24, 2013 11:03 AM

ofaceagain says:May 24, 2013 10:15 AM

Carl Gerbschmidt says: May 24, 2013 9:56 AM

——

———-

Sometimes I swear I don’t know why I bother, but I’ll try one more time. AD is 28, in 2-3 years he will be 30-31. What happens to RBs after they hit 30? Especially ones who are worked to death like AD is by the viks? Their performance drops off dramatically. Does that help?

33. theytukrjobs says: May 24, 2013 11:07 AM

I think the other piece of this is how well the younger players play. Vikings have only 4 players over 30 on their 90 man roster which is a very low number. They landed 3 absolute studs and 2 solid players in last year’s draft and have 3 first rounders this year. Plus they have AP and Greenway who both made NFL top 100.

Seriously if this team had a really great QB right now they’d be pretty sick.

34. theytukrjobs says: May 24, 2013 11:12 AM

Gerbschmidt,

AP is not a normal human so comparing him to other mortals who have played the position is pointless.

Plus you are talking 2-3 years from now. Who cares about that? Nobody. Also a team that made the playoffs the previous season has completed the rebuilding phase quite obviously.

35. shaggytoodle says: May 24, 2013 11:23 AM

I think it depends on how much Ponder grows as a player this year.

I think Allen wants to win a title, so I think if there isn’t much improvement, he may look elsewhere.

Those comments he made a few weeks back, make me believe, he is using that to help his make his choice.

36. Carl Gerbschmidt says: May 24, 2013 11:28 AM

@theytukrjobs

Maybe, but it’s funny how RBs who don’t seem mortal before 30 suddenly seem mortal after 30…

37. shaggytoodle says: May 24, 2013 11:32 AM

@Tjtheytukrjobs

Peterson is very much human, he isn’t ordinary, but enjoy watching him be great, because RBs more than any position deteriorate.

I also believe the Vikings are still rebuilding, they made the playoffs while doing so and kudos to them for that.

They also traded their 2nd best Off. weapon. Signed a WR to be their new #1, and have 3 1st round picks.

They surprised a lot of people last year, but teams can still be rebuilding and make the playoffs, Just as the Colts and Skins did last year as well.

38. Troll_toll says: May 24, 2013 11:33 AM

Guy is a beast, true class act. With that said hope he ends up out of the NFC North. Makes me cringe every time he barrels through our LT and approaches Rodgers on his blind side. Even as a cheesehead, hard not to be a Jared Allen fan.

39. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 24, 2013 11:33 AM

I’m trying to figure out why having Jared Allen in a contract year is a bad thing. He’ll probably put up 23.5 sacks, 10 of them against Aaron Rodgers.

40. jgat12 says: May 24, 2013 11:35 AM

It’s hard to claim you hold all the cards when the Vikings hold the franchise tag. If the Vikings want him, a Viking he will remain

41. packerfanfordecades says: May 24, 2013 12:23 PM

We are getting numb to the salaries.

$14 million a year is around $16,000 – $18,000 per play for 16 games (assuming he’s in on all plays).

How can I sign up to be in for 8 defensive plays for the Vikes this year …. maybe one every other game so I can heal up some during the two-week personal bye ?

I’d want to play during the two GBay games so I can see what its like to watch an Aaron rocket going right over my head or watch the back of Eddie Lacy’s or Johnathan Franklin’s jersey as he goes 35 yards downfield on a draw play. That would be fun.

42. schrutebeetfarms says: May 24, 2013 1:48 PM

The way he’s played i thought he had already retired.

43. gbmickey says: May 24, 2013 2:24 PM

This is just the start with Allen it will grow as the season progresses. With his big mouth he wont be able to help dividing the locker room. After the season is all said and done Spielman the magician will make another player disappear. The schism grows.

44. skolhound says: May 24, 2013 2:24 PM

He’s a great player. But his days with the Vikings are coming to an end. He’s just too expensive. Kevin Williams and Brian Robison are likely both gone as well.
    We had our shot with this crew against New Orleans. Hopefully Floyd pans out.

45. ponderthedumpoffking says: May 24, 2013 2:59 PM

This guy has no interest in signing with the Yikes again. His last contract was about the money, the next one will be for a ring. He’ll wind up in GB, NE, Denver, or SF. He’ll avoid minny, Seattle, and Detroit like the plague.

46. ejmat2 says: May 24, 2013 3:14 PM

packerfanfordecades says:
    May 24, 2013 12:23 PM
    We are getting numb to the salaries.

———————————-
    LMAO. You get a RB or two with potential and you’re already talking smack. How’s your running game been lately? Maybe you should worry about seeing the back of AP’s jersey. You know? The guy that ran for like 500 yards against your team last year.

47. mackcarrington says: May 24, 2013 3:15 PM

No matter how this plays out, Allen won’t ever again see a contract worth as much as he is making now. He very well knows this.

48. brewdogg says: May 24, 2013 9:08 PM

Carl Gerbschmidt says: May 24, 2013 11:03 AM

———-

——————————-

I don’t know why you bother, either. Let’s talk Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith. That is the class of RBs that Peterson is in. Both had more carries through their first 6 seasons than Peterson does. Both played at least 6 more seasons with at least 5 more 1000 yard seasons.

Does that help?

49. brewdogg says: May 24, 2013 9:20 PM

packerfanfordecades says: May 24, 2013 12:23 PM

————————————–

Really? Please tell me that wasn’t serious…..

Okay, if this is the game we’re playing, how about so you can watch Sharrif Floyd bury Rodgers 5 times, or watch Xavier Rhodes go for a pick-6. Lacy and Franklin aren’t going to do any better than Jackson or Green did. Accept it and move on.

50. brewdogg says: May 24, 2013 9:25 PM

shaggytoodle says: May 24, 2013 11:32 AM

@Tjtheytukrjobs

—————————–

All true, Shaggy….but the 49ers were rebuilding two years ago. The Packers were rebuilding in ’07. If they hit in this draft class, the Vikings may have a legitimate window for the next few seasons.

51. bobby2478 says: May 26, 2013 10:53 AM

They can’t approach him about a restructure, Allen already said that would be the first thing to cause him to NOT come back.

After this year you saw what FA DE’s got on the open market: NOT MUCH at all. While Jared Allen is still an elite talent, he’s got to see that the price on veterans, even highly productive ones, has tanked the past few years as teams try to get younger.

Hopefully Spielman sees this, gives Allen some time to come to the realization that no matter how good he is, DE’s don’t make $14 million a season anymore. That will allow Spielman to beat any other offer out there for Allen without overpaying. As of now Allen probably thinks he can still get $14 million a season on the open market, no one will pay him that. You can’t approach him with a contract less than that until you give Allen time to see what the open market is paying other comparable DE’s.

He’s still too productive for them to let leave. They need him for another 4 years, to allow them to focus rebuilding at other areas of their roster while still keeping productivity at DE.