Adrian Peterson not a believer in same-sex marriage

AdrianPeterson Reuters

When we first saw the comments of Vikings running back Adrian Peterson on the issue of same-sex marriage, the decision was made to mention the situation in the one-liners, with no full-blown post.

Since then, however, the issue has popped up in plenty of places, and it makes sense on the day that honors those who fought for our freedoms to point to an issue the demonstrates in many ways the things we can do as Americans.

When Peterson says in a radio interview that he’s “not with” same-sex marriage, he exercises his right to say whatever he wants.  And those who choose to disagree with Peterson are exercising the same rights.  Meanwhile, those who are fighting for and against the legalization of same-sex marriage are exercise their rights to participate in the political process.

These rights all flow from the documents that gave rise to our nation, rights secured and then preserved by the men and women who fought and died to allow us to disagree on the issue of same-sex marriage and any other issue, from important to trivial and all points in between.

So feel free to call me an idiot in the comments if you disagree with this or anything else I’ve said today.  You have the right to do it.  And, of course, I have the right to delete the comment if it goes too far.

Permalink 222 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
222 Responses to “Adrian Peterson not a believer in same-sex marriage”
  1. ponderthedumpoffking says: May 27, 2013 9:34 PM

Bigot bigot bigot bigot bigot bigot.

2. hummer53 says: May 27, 2013 9:36 PM

Shouldn’t have gone there AP. PC police will pounce.

3. vik3z says: May 27, 2013 9:38 PM

once again the great adrian peterson keeps it smart and classy.

4. stahi says: May 27, 2013 9:40 PM

I think the best way for a celebrity to say that they’re against same-sex marriage is to indicate that “I’m not for it.. yet. However in time my mind may change but I can’t make any guarantees on that.”

5. cullimon says: May 27, 2013 9:40 PM

So you took this opportunity to attempt to bash AP because he doesn’t agree with you. I await my comment’s deleting

6. thestrategyexpert says: May 27, 2013 9:41 PM

Is it also our free right regardless of gender if we meet AP in person to ask him if he would like to go out on a date? That’s what I’m going to do if I ever meet him. Just in case he’s in denial about his sexuality, doesn’t hurt to ask. I’m not gay myself, but I feel I should have the right to experiment and AP is the only man in the world that intrigues me to experiment with men right now. He’s very handsome and wealthy, I think he would make a good mate for myself.

Here’s to hoping this post is one that makes it!

7. pjrhc says: May 27, 2013 9:42 PM

Sad to see a common, basic moral conviction make headlines. But at least Adrian had the courage to run up the middle against the propaganda machine that rivals Hitler’s anti-semitic one.

8. kevin7777777 says: May 27, 2013 9:42 PM

We must preserve the constitution!! Our constitution is what has made this nation great. Sadly our politicians are attempting to set aside our rights and do away with it. Preserve the constitution!!

9. lllllalaskajack says: May 27, 2013 9:43 PM

I wish Tim Tebow would declare he is gay, blame it on a history of concussions, marry Adrian Peterson and sign with the Washington Redskins. That should make Florio’s head explode.

lllll Alaska Jack

10. seaucidaltendencies says: May 27, 2013 9:44 PM

Freedom to all the people, unless they think you’re wrong.

11. justwinbaby29 says: May 27, 2013 9:44 PM

I’m personally for gay marriage. The government should stay out of people’s lives – period. However reasonable people can agree to disagree. It doesn’t make Peterson a bad guy at all.

12. blackngold4life says: May 27, 2013 9:44 PM

I’m sure he’s not the ONLY one..and he dosent have to be “politically correct” for the sake of the NFL.

13. vikesfanforlife says: May 27, 2013 9:45 PM

Peterson is a Christian and a believer in Jesus Christ. of course he doesn’t believe in same sex marriage. nor do I for that matter. its a matter of faith and a guideline of living that the bible lays out for us. good for him for expressing his opinion

14. charlutes says: May 27, 2013 9:45 PM

If people didn’t worship athletes and celebrities, they would realize that most of us know people with ignorant viewpoints, like Petersons, and there’s no reason to get any more bent out of shape at Peterson than you do your curmudgeonly neighbor.

15. staffordsyear says: May 27, 2013 9:45 PM

Yeah so what?…this is america, he can believe in whatever he wants.

16. pack4gop says: May 27, 2013 9:45 PM

Despise the Queens….respect AP and respect him even more not catering to the political correct world it’s turning into. Good for you AP!!!

17. quadya says: May 27, 2013 9:47 PM

good for you AP

18. pj1983a says: May 27, 2013 9:48 PM

In the words of Salman Rushdie (paraphrased):
    “The First Amendment gives you the right to say whatever you want. And it gives me the right to call you a jackass for saying it.”

19. Steeley McBeam says: May 27, 2013 9:49 PM

While your point is correct you seem to be protecting the reigning MVP a little bit. Others have been ripped for less.

20. theytukrjobs says: May 27, 2013 9:50 PM

Reading the full comments he didn’t really say anything mean and even went to say that he loves his own gay relatives equally and unbiased. He is just saying that he doesn’t believe in gay marriage.

I’m guessing the media and activists will attack him and trash on his name and “brand” in retaliation to bully him and others from having the audacity to say such hurtful things in the future.

21. atlfan31833 says: May 27, 2013 9:51 PM

or just ban someone entirely because you don’t like what I say. love the hyprocrisy that is preached about freedom of speach

22. matt5mn says: May 27, 2013 9:51 PM

I cannot disagree Mike. I fought for our country and have battled with this same debate — just as Adrian. The question that needs to be asked that goes beyond the “No” is why? Is it religious or just a feeling that some may have that take marriage as a union between a man and woman. Every person is entitles to their own views on this and Adrian was asked the question. Whether one wants to oppose or agree, there is no wrong or right response.

23. sportsmeccabi says: May 27, 2013 9:52 PM

We have no rights, just temporary privileges.

24. kac360 says: May 27, 2013 9:52 PM

Adrian is the one who can’t win now. If he publicly endorses same-sex marriage, then his church calls him out…

25. lionsdraftguy says: May 27, 2013 9:52 PM

I’m with AP. Its just not right.

In other news, the 49ers are still a classless organization.

26. blackandbluedivision says: May 27, 2013 9:57 PM

That’s his belief and he is entitled to it.

But, then again we’re living in a world where Mike Wallace gets bashed for simply saying he doesn’t understand they lifestyle. I just don’t get it.

Everyone is entitled to like or dislike what a person does. That’s their opinion.

27. erckle31 says: May 27, 2013 9:58 PM

Anyone who is against same-sex marriage is unable to feel any sort of empathy. I couldn’t care less what you think personally, but to sit there and call yourself an American, let alone a human being, and at the same time deny two people who love each other the right to call themselves married is absurd. Put yourself in their shoes and tell me how you’d feel. Empathy could solve so many problems in our society.

28. jimbo75025 says: May 27, 2013 9:59 PM

Well, I was wondering when PFT would get around to mentioning this, since every time Kluwe opens his mouth about it there are five front page stories.

29. imsmarterthanyou says: May 27, 2013 10:00 PM

So…you’re the one who has the absolute right to impede my right to freedom of speech. Pretty cool…delete me then.

30. trippymane says: May 27, 2013 10:04 PM

Why does Adrian Peterson care? I lost all my respect for him. That’s like me saying I don’t roll with that big buff black guy over there marrying that big fat white women over there. It’s none of my business and it has no affect on my life. This dude is an idiot.

31. beretta96d says: May 27, 2013 10:05 PM

I agree 100% with everything you’ve said. My only question or comment would be, why are all athletes who come out on whatever social network and give their opinions on a subject have to apologize if it’s against public opinion? Teams have to issue apologies etc… These guys all have their opinions as well yet I find they’re being oppressed constantly.

32. jasndc75 says: May 27, 2013 10:06 PM

well said. for once.

33. firestarter0728 says: May 27, 2013 10:07 PM

AP’s team may not ever win a Super Bowl, but I fully support his right to express his opinion as he sees fit.

34. timb12 says: May 27, 2013 10:07 PM

Very well written article. People don’t always see eye to eye on topics, and in no way does this make Peterson a bigot. He just has a different opinion than some.

35. 4thquartermagic says: May 27, 2013 10:09 PM

Official formal apology in 3… 2…

36. tommccrossin says: May 27, 2013 10:10 PM

lol, Florio.

37. themostlogicalofvoices says: May 27, 2013 10:11 PM

That’s what he chooses to believe in. I’ll choose differently and we’ll see what shakes out in the democratic process.

38. joeandcambria says: May 27, 2013 10:11 PM

Yeah, I mean something that doesn’t affect you in any way is so wrong and damaging to the world, right?

People seem to forget about human rights, and it’s extremely sad. Hopefully in a few years everyone against equal rights for who someone loves will look as dumb as those who were against equal rights for people of different skin colors.

39. keiselsbeard says: May 27, 2013 10:13 PM

And by “goes too far” He means if you disagree with whatever he says. I have had countless, cleanly versed, posts deleted on here. It’s unfortunate that it’s the only quasi-reliable football site out there.

40. davisjosh20 says: May 27, 2013 10:13 PM

I am for it. Equal rights for all. I saw a sign that said, “if you are against gay marriage, don’t blame gays, blame straight people. They’re the ones having the gay babies.”

hard to fight that logic.

41. portlandmainefan says: May 27, 2013 10:14 PM

I am in favor of same sex marriage. I am in favor of Adrian Peterson having his opinion and I dont hold it against him either. And since you invited me to call you an idiot, I would like to do that too. Thank you.

42. crownofthehelmet says: May 27, 2013 10:14 PM

99% of NFL players feel that way. Only difference is Peterson is speaking his mind and not worrying about the bashing. Sure he also realizes he’s untouchable in the media……which helps.

43. gmenfan1982 says: May 27, 2013 10:15 PM

It’s nobody’s right to restrict or deny others of their rights. Therefore in my opinion,not only is not allowing same sex marriage wrong, it is also against very idea of liberty this country is supposed to stand for. To me it’s not a matter if opinion. If you are against same sex marriage, you’re just wrong. Read Chris Kluwe’s statement. I couldn’t even begin to put it as well as he did.

44. jsg1996 says: May 27, 2013 10:15 PM

You pretty much delete any post that disagrees with you.

45. tjacks7 says: May 27, 2013 10:16 PM

You idiot.

46. classyjacklambert says: May 27, 2013 10:16 PM

I disagree with him but everyone’s entitled to their own opinion on this one. Everyone’s gonna open up the pulpit on this though.

47. antneejay2 says: May 27, 2013 10:17 PM

I’m not down with same sex marriage, but I came up with a solution. I married someone of the opposite sex. Other than that, who anyone else marries is of no interest to me.

48. wgward says: May 27, 2013 10:17 PM

Is same-sex marriage a “right” under our Constitution? Supremes may rule on that shortly…

If it is a constitutional right, and even though Peterson is currently exercising his constitutional right to express his opinion on this matter–but if same-sex marriage is a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT–then Peterson’s opinion is rather hypocritical when one views how his race was treated in this Country vis-a-vis all those “rights” that were denied for so long….

It’s about hypocrisy, stupid.

49. trevor123698 says: May 27, 2013 10:18 PM

my question is always this. Who says the state has to recognize your marriage for it to be real? There is not a single positive that comes with state recognized marriage. If you allow the state to see over your marriage you are a fool

50. spideysdog says: May 27, 2013 10:19 PM

a. your dead on in this one Florio.

b. you peeps delete comments all the time that are FAR from taking something too far.

51. GM says: May 27, 2013 10:21 PM

I agree with Florio on this.

52. allidoiswin55 says: May 27, 2013 10:24 PM

So he can take HGH, and be against gays but yet he’s still loved and no one touches on him cheating…

Hes a bigot period, end of discussion, whether he voluntarily gave his opinion which I’m sure he didn’t, doesn’t excuse his ignorance. No one should tell others their not good enough to have a piece of paper. I don’t believe ppl are born gay but I support equality for everyone despite sex, race, religion, and or Sexual orientation.

Go Hawks!!!

53. tyler4richardson says: May 27, 2013 10:24 PM

I don’t understand why it’s such a big deal, nor do I understand why gay people want to take the vows and live the ways of religion when religion clearly doesn’t like their lifestyle.

54. GM says: May 27, 2013 10:24 PM

I also agree with All Day.

55. packfaninvikeland says: May 27, 2013 10:25 PM

Notice he did not say he is against it. He just said he is “not with it” meaning he hangs out with straight males and straight female. Again never said he disagreed with gay marriage, just making sure we can idiot proof this for the trolls.

56. markchmurasbabysitter says: May 27, 2013 10:26 PM

I love America! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion…unless it is this one, apparently, then you are a bigoted hate criminal uneducated hillbilly. Florio nailed this one.

57. skinsfaninok says: May 27, 2013 10:27 PM

good for AD, he’s actually being honest and not fake like most of these athletes. I agree with him, it’s freaking disgusting. sorry but it’s true

58. purplepunisher says: May 27, 2013 10:27 PM

Florio your an idiot, but thanks for letting me state my opinion this time.

59. cags777 says: May 27, 2013 10:30 PM

“And, of course, I have the right to delete the comment if it goes too far.” Too bad that policy isn’t always enforced, Florio. Getting to AP’s comments, I didn’t find them to be offensive or polarizing (unlike Kluwe). And I am a supporter of same sex marriage.

60. dontrunfromme says: May 27, 2013 10:32 PM

I’m pumped. Can’t wait to draft him my fantasy league this year.

61. msclemons67 says: May 27, 2013 10:33 PM

Poor Adrian. He’ll be forced to go to brainwashing, erm, “sensitivity training” now.

The tolerance brigade won’t tolerate his disagreement with their dogma.

62. warhammer420 says: May 27, 2013 10:33 PM

It’s easy to be “not with” something when it doesn’t affect you. I reckon if someone in Adrian’s family were to come out as gay, he might have a change of heart.

63. MichaelWrites says: May 27, 2013 10:34 PM

All marriages should be happy and gay.

64. spellingcops says: May 27, 2013 10:34 PM

Good for him for expressing his opinion. Unfortunately in this day and age you can’t really have one unless it’s in support of the en vogue social issue.

65. biggrimma says: May 27, 2013 10:37 PM

i like him now

66. mad55555 says: May 27, 2013 10:37 PM

Michael,
    As a former lawyer you should understand that this issue is bigger than legalizing same sex marriage. This is a civil liberties and freedom of oppression issue for gay people. Gay people just want to live their life with the same rights and freedoms that Adrian Peterson enjoys because of the black civil rights movement that his ancestors fought for. Gay people are not trying to change anyone else’s way of living. Gay people are fighting for the same freedoms that black people were fighting for in the 60’s and Irish and Italian immigrants were fighting for in the earlier part of the 20th century. Just ask yourself this question and truthfully answer it to yourself. Do you think if gay people had to choose to be straight and not be killed, gawked at, abused, and tortured, would they not go through this? It is really sad to see so many hateful, non-caring “religious” people commenting on your site as if they are the judge of what is right and wrong.

67. The Doctor says: May 27, 2013 10:38 PM

I applaud Adrian for speaking his mind and expressing his opinion. All those who line up to persecute him for having his own views are the same ones that cry “intolerance” when someone does not agree with them.

68. aziz718 says: May 27, 2013 10:40 PM

I too like Adrian Peterson don’t believe in same sex marriage. While I don’t agree with everything Mike Florio posts, I appreciate his middle of the road statement with regard to this issue.

No one should be demonized for having a strong belief in God and feeling this (same sex relationship) is not in line with what God wants from his creation.

69. contra74 says: May 27, 2013 10:41 PM

This article escalated quickly.

70. ace8842 says: May 27, 2013 10:41 PM

Good for Adrian. It’s about time that someone who is against gay marriage had the guts to speak up and stopped being worried about being politically correct.

71. mackcarrington says: May 27, 2013 10:41 PM

I guess I’m one who gets hung up on the semantics of the word “believe”. Is same-sex marriage a “belief”, as one believes in God or the hereafter? I don’t believe in income taxes but they aren’t going to go away any time soon. I have to pay them. I don’t “believe” in some of the thing that Roger Goodell is doing to “improve” the NFL. But he is going to do them anyway. My point is, what the heck does it matter what someone “believes” about same-sex marriage. It’s either going to be allowed by the legal system or not. At that point wether someone “believes” in it or not is irrelevant.

72. keramidas21 says: May 27, 2013 10:42 PM

I still think it’s crazy that some people are so against gay marriage. It shouldn’t affect straight people at all.

73. pepsilvia says: May 27, 2013 10:42 PM

he has lost my respect

74. arzcardinals says: May 27, 2013 10:45 PM

You built a lot of this website on judging others for what they say. You (PFT) reads more into people’s words than we could dream of. You make headlines that barely relate to the story, but now this

Sorry, but please!!!

I expect they’ll delete this …not allowing my Freedom of Speech

75. gmen0820 says: May 27, 2013 10:48 PM

That’ll really throw the scent off the gay trail, AD.

76. eatitfanboy says: May 27, 2013 10:50 PM

Brilliant article. Very well said. The ability of people to speak their mind in this country without fear of reprisal is one of it’s greatest attributes. It’s why fighting to defend the first amendment is so critical.

However, as to your last paragraph, this site deletes way too many comments. Either there is a technical issue or you are way too sensitive.

77. elliottcovert says: May 27, 2013 10:53 PM

I disagree with AP on this issue, but frankly I’m not terribly concerned with his views. I’m not in favor of disparaging public figures when their views are sincere and not motivated by hatred or prejudice, even if they are a little old fashioned, just because their viewpoint is different from mine. But honestly, just let football players worry about playing football.

78. vikings1976 says: May 27, 2013 10:53 PM

Since when is a player’s views on society of this importance? Bored writes, stupid articles…it must be the off season.

79. dezolationangel says: May 27, 2013 10:54 PM

The PC in this country is out of control. He’s allowed to say what he feels. It’s his belief and he didn’t put anyone down in saying so. He also said that there are gay folks in his family who he loves, supports and respects. He was raised a Christian and therefore doesn’t believe in same sex marriage. Just more left wing media stirring the pot.

80. swaggyy says: May 27, 2013 10:55 PM

Good for him. He doesn’t have to. It disgusts me how much love and support the gay community gets nowadays. They’re completely right all the time and if you disagree with them you’re very wrong and a bad person not accepting it. If you enjoy hairy smelly men and never having children and people talking bad about you and staring, then more power to ya buckos!

81. shadowcell says: May 27, 2013 10:55 PM

I don’t get what’s so surprising about the idea that football players, immersed as they are in macho culture, aren’t all totally cool with marriage for same-sex couples.

The world will just move on without them.

82. mudhead123 says: May 27, 2013 10:56 PM

Finally an athlete says what he thinks and not the PR crap

83. Mr. Wright 212 says: May 27, 2013 10:57 PM

Kudos to him.

84. theeclevelandsteamer says: May 27, 2013 10:58 PM

thumbs up fir it, thumbs down against gay marriage.

85. metrocritical says: May 27, 2013 10:58 PM

If we start with the premise that people have inalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness and agree those three rights include the right to love, it is very difficult to understand why a segment of society is so vehemently opposed to allowing two consenting, presumably responsible and loving adults, who happen to be of the same sex, seek and assume a status that members of the opposite sex can obtain. If it doesn’t weaken the economy or make the country more susceptible to attack from enemy nations or terrorists, what’s the problem? It’s not like the heterosexual community has done such a great job of preserving the sanctity of matrimony that the gay community must be excluded. Besides, as it has been said, if you want to stop gay sex then allow gay marriage. Then they will truly be like the rest of us.

86. lionzroar1 says: May 27, 2013 10:58 PM

Good, even-handed article, Florio. I cringed upon seeing the title, thinking we would be in for another article laced with your opinions on gay marriage. To my surprise, you managed to assess the merits of the story, put it in its broader social context during the holiday, and restrain yourself from forcing your opinion down our throats.

87. mudhead123 says: May 27, 2013 10:58 PM

If you don’t agree with liberals you are a bigot

88. browns627 says: May 27, 2013 10:59 PM

freedom is a two way street… freedom is not for any one group or person… u may do something i dont like and i may do something you dont like but guess what? we both have the freedom to do it. enough with the name calling…

89. truthfactory says: May 27, 2013 10:59 PM

Serious question here… Do those who support gay marriage also support incest? Dont all the same arguments apply to both?

Two adults can make their own decisions…
    What goes on in their bedrooms is their decisions… Etc.

Seems you would be a hypocrite to support one but not the other.

90. blackandbluedivision says: May 27, 2013 11:00 PM

erckle31 says:
    May 27, 2013 9:58 PM

_________________________________

That isn’t his problem. If Sally and Jason wanted to get married and he didn’t like it, that his choice. People need to get off their high horse. The guy has no problem with gay people. He’s not discriminating. It’s just his personal preference. Everyone is entitled to it. That! is American.

91. blackandbluedivision says: May 27, 2013 11:01 PM

trippymane says:
    May 27, 2013 10:04 PM
    _______________________

He was asked…and he answered.

92. allday28mvpmvp says: May 27, 2013 11:03 PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just don’t think the discussion belongs in sports. Kluwe should have kept quiet, as should Adrian. Clearly Kluwe kinda changed the standard, unfortunately.

93. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 27, 2013 11:05 PM

warhammer420 says:May 27, 2013 10:33 PM

_______

For your information, Adrian said in the same paragraph that he has gay relatives and he loves them. Some people’s belief systems aren’t so easily malleable.

94. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 27, 2013 11:07 PM

Mark my words, five years from now people who are against polygamy will be considered bigots. Five years after that, people who are against a guy marrying his daughter will be considered bigots. It’s all about love, isn’t it? Who are you to tell me who I can love?

95. acmepackers says: May 27, 2013 11:08 PM

OMG, someone has an opinion. Gasp!

96. jssgriffi says: May 27, 2013 11:09 PM

Why does everyone have to criticize and get pissed off if someone is against this issue? He believes what he believes. That’s it. Leave it alone. You can think what you think. Just because there is a movement right now with this and it is kind of like status quo to be down with gay marriage, doesn’t mean everyone should be down with it. Get over yourselves.

97. gopblows says: May 27, 2013 11:10 PM

At least he’s big enough to say what others are thinking.

98. ppdoc13 says: May 27, 2013 11:16 PM

Bout time you mentioned free speech. I thought this place had become the liberal msm for quite awhile

99. purpblooded says: May 27, 2013 11:18 PM

AD, you’re the man! I cringe when I see two men kissing, but oddly, it doesn’t bother me when women do. The NFL isn’t modern day slavery either. Now, get out there and run for 2500 yards. SKOL!

100. briang123 says: May 27, 2013 11:21 PM

Kluwe acted like he was courageous for taking the thought-police approved stance in favor of gay marriage. Now we will really see what happens when you don’t bow down to P.C. police. (for the record, I support gay marriage because they deserve to be every bit as miserable as us married people)

101. lushy21 says: May 27, 2013 11:21 PM

cool he’s allowed to have a opinion and he’s a “HERO” for not being afraid to express said opinion.

102. mcba1n says: May 27, 2013 11:23 PM

AP loses ALL my respect. Being a black human decrying other humans just trying to live their life is a crime against humanity. This is a civil rights issue unlike Jim Crow and that. It’s close, though. Let people live/love and have the same rights as anyone else. for me? Keep the government out of my life more than taking taxes. Let people live/love.

I’m horribly disappointed in AP. Black people went thru the same struggle. It’s just the people that AP is trying to oppress are IN his locker room. They defend his home whilst he sleeps. They take him in at the hospital if he is not well. AP insults humanity. EVERYONE insults humanity for fighting against humanity. Pathetic, really. It’l be amazing in 20 years when we talk about gays being able to marry gays – and the minority of Americans learn they are on the wrong side of history.

This IS a civil rights issue. If you don’t belive it is, I pity you.

103. deadeyedesign23 says: May 27, 2013 11:25 PM

Denying someone else their civil liberties is not a right.

104. maiphatdong says: May 27, 2013 11:29 PM

first off marriage was invented by man, not Jesus, the easter bunny, etc. Second, its pretty sad when ANY black man would ever disagree with allowing another human being live his or her life with equality, How quickly we forget.

105. jibberator says: May 27, 2013 11:30 PM

Its OK. I don’t believe in things that don’t exist either. Same sex marriage is an oxymoron. Just like a married bachelor doesn’t exist either.

106. humb0lt says: May 27, 2013 11:34 PM

I wonder how AP would feel if the law prohibited his children from marrying white people when they grow up.

107. jefferee101 says: May 27, 2013 11:34 PM

Good job, Mr. Peterson. You’re in America, where we have freedom of religion, so don’t let the ignorant, militant gay rights apologists tell you that you can’t believe in your God.

Shame on you gay rights people for trying to make blind conformist sheep out of respectful, hard-working, talented christian athletes. He has rights to disagree with you. Freedom of speech, freedom of religion! Its very unamerican to try to take those away from an American. You are terrorists!

108. stairwayto7 says: May 27, 2013 11:35 PM

109. bzillaz says: May 27, 2013 11:36 PM

I love AD the football player and he seems like a good dude overall, but he still has his issues. He very religious, so that’s likely the foundation of his lack of support for gay marriage. He’s no philosopher! Comparing NFL contracts to slavery???? Getting drunk and belligerent in a Houston club???

110. tdk24 says: May 27, 2013 11:38 PM

He also once said that being a player in the NFL was like slavery.

111. stoptrippn says: May 27, 2013 11:40 PM

He’s entitled to his opinion

112. crosberries says: May 27, 2013 11:41 PM

Religion is a joke especially in the nfl. Jesus Christ this Jesus Christ that where’s my side piece on the road after I hang up with my wife and kids??

113. lgwelsh1 says: May 27, 2013 11:42 PM

It’s funny how when someone voices an opinion that isn’t “cool or mainstream” they get blasted for it.

114. calicokiller49 says: May 27, 2013 11:44 PM

They slaughtered culliver, I think they’re taking easy on AP, more proof that the niners are the most hated on team, nobody was hating on us when we were horrible last decade, we rebuild, and we are despised. And on the whole gay marriage thing, as long as they keep it out of schools, and don’t let em adopt, they can do whatever….

115. igetitalready says: May 27, 2013 11:46 PM

One more reason to love this kid.
    GO VIKES!!!

116. thestrategyexpert says: May 27, 2013 11:53 PM

Well I patiently waited for an initial response of a decent sample size before following up with this proposition. I thought 50 initial respondents was a fair target before suggesting a possibly controversial idea. I asked a question that I wanted to wait and see what percentage of people thought that a person should have a right to ask AP out on a date regardless of gender, and the results indicate after the first 50 respondents that the percentage of people who do say a person does have that right is 22% which is a fairly significant chunk of the population.

So here’s my official proposition which I think is fair and respectable for all parties interested in this topic. I think AP should agree to go out on a date with me, and we can even have cameras follow us along to chronicle the experience. I think this could be a great PR move for AP. He can say that just for fairness purposes that he will take one shot at having an open mind about the possibility that men are ok to date each other. He does NOT have to agree to touch me or make any physical contact as we will agree to have a very platonic date and see where it goes. That way AP can say at the end if:

A) he has had a change of heart and sees how it might be ok now that he tried it and sort of liked it or thought that it might not be wrong to do, or B) he can say he really tried to have a good time and still is totally convinced that men dating each other is just not meant to be.

That way he can add credibility to his viewpoint and show that he can have an opinion while still being respectful of at least considering the alternative viewpoint, and then I think perhaps people who disagree with his current viewpoint will have respect that he was willing to at least try it for purposes of fairness and general respectability towards all people.

Mr. Adrian Peterson, would you consider accepting my proposal? Just let PFT know if that is ok and they will know how to obtain my contact information so that we can set this up.

117. johnnyb216 says: May 27, 2013 11:56 PM

Totally senseless comment from this bigot. What’s the matter AP? Run out of slavery comments to now you need to target the gay population? I hope somebody tears the sh## out of his other knee this year.

118. billbrasky72 says: May 28, 2013 12:01 AM

AP’s stance is politically correct. Politically correct does not equal liberally correct. Politically correct equals morally correct.

119. newyorkshets says: May 28, 2013 12:03 AM

Save us Jebus!!

120. Mr. Wright 212 says: May 28, 2013 12:04 AM

erckle31 says: May 27, 2013 9:58 PM

—————

I feel empathy for tons of people who have shared experiences as I do.

You have zero point whatsoever, as you have to be gay privy to the “plight” that gays face to have EMPATHY towards them anyway.

121. kevpft says: May 28, 2013 12:07 AM

Really, you should just delete all the comments here except for the one from antneejay2 above. It says everything that needs to be said on the matter from any rational perspective.

But I’ll add one more thing, to address this idea that he still “loves” his gay relatives. If you believe someone is not worthy of equal rights, you don’t love them. Period.

122. commonsensedude says: May 28, 2013 12:11 AM

I have a question for the people here who are critical of Adrian Peterson for expressing his opinion. Suppose that Adrian had said nothing about same-sex marriage and instead had said that he believed that marriage should be a union between two people and that he didn’t believe in polygamy. If he had said this instead, would you be upset with him? Would he be showing a lack of “empathy” toward people who want to be married to more than one person at a time?

If you feel differently about him saying he disagrees with polygamy instead of him saying he disagrees with same-sex marriage, can you explain why?

123. reptar24 says: May 28, 2013 12:17 AM

Who. Cares.

124. matt24bucs says: May 28, 2013 12:19 AM

The only people that are for gay marriage are the kook lib faction of society that thinks abnormal, perverse, and decadent sexual behavior should be thought of as “normal”.

125. bballnut50 says: May 28, 2013 12:21 AM

Really refreshing to hear the truth from a true class act. It means that there may be some hope for America! Now hopefully more superstars will start being honest about their thoughts on this issue and we can see that most Americans are in agreement with AD.

126. walkedintoabar says: May 28, 2013 12:22 AM

How can we disagree with you when you didnt say anything.

You just simply stated that we can argue about things in America. You didnt take a side one way or the other.

127. 6kings says: May 28, 2013 12:28 AM

Thank you AD. Set the example. Be a leader. Disagree in a way the “tolerant” will look silly pouncing on. Now make some of those DB’s look silly.

128. Mr. Wright 212 says: May 28, 2013 12:29 AM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 27, 2013 11:07 PM

—————-

That’s most peoples’ beef when they say they are against it. It is all about legal precedent, and those of us who have studied the law (Florio included) should know that it doesn’t just stop with gay marriage once certain verbiage is on the books concerning marriage and relations between people and, well, whatever they can think of, eventually.

129. blanchonegro says: May 28, 2013 12:30 AM

AP is the man. All Day AP

130. michhmc says: May 28, 2013 12:31 AM

His “nickname” is AD, not AP. His true followers know! And he is from the “heartland”..TX/OK…we just kinda roll like that!

131. Mr. Wright 212 says: May 28, 2013 12:33 AM

warhammer420 says:May 27, 2013 10:33 PM

——————

My sister is gay.

I am against gay marriage.

I love my sister dearly, as my twin.

Try again, pal.

132. tuckrulesurvivor says: May 28, 2013 12:34 AM

I’m with you AD … All day …as a raider fan I hope you get the record this time and so does D-MAC .

133. bigtimebrownie says: May 28, 2013 12:34 AM

He’s allowed to be for or against…so are we. He’s allowed to be a jerk or a saint…so are we. I love football, but I’m not looking to players for help in forming my own opinions about issues outside of football. Celebrity Culture=USA, third-world country.

134. musicman495 says: May 28, 2013 12:39 AM

I will care what Adrian Peterson thinks one way or the other about same-sex marriage the day I care what Elton John thinks about the Tampa 2 Defense.

135. hedleykow says: May 28, 2013 12:45 AM

I have to assume that either AP didn’t think it through completely before he answered or he hates cake.

136. flipola says: May 28, 2013 12:50 AM

I have beliefs, though I’m not a very religious person, and for the most part, I believe that people should do whatever they want, generally speaking. But it’s gotten to where if you don’t support gay marriage, you’re seen as a hateful, Bible-thumping bigot. I give AD props for being strong in his beliefs, whatever they may be. Gays and gay supporters preach open-mindedness and love for all, yet are just as quick to bash nonsupporters.

It always has to turn into a huge debate. Which is ridiculous, because, nobody’s going to change their minds. If you support it, you will no matter what. If not, you won’t. No amount of logical reasoning will change anyone’s feelings, so why bother?

137. pkrlvr says: May 28, 2013 12:50 AM

Yet another example of how religion divides people. I have no use for it. If you polled 100 atheists like myself you’d most likely find that 95% of them are in favor of gay marriage….but religious people always think god is in their head and so they do and say what they think he wants them to. You would think that is a good thing but most of the time it is not.

AP has the right to speak his mind though.

138. droyer85 says: May 28, 2013 12:50 AM

jssgriffi says:
    May 27, 2013 11:09 PM

——————————————————

Let’s pretend for a second that the issue is women voting. Now in that context, read what you just said. The fact is, the right for people to marry who they want isn’t much different than the right of a woman to vote. The only difference is when people bring religion into it. Religion should not be used to make policy or laws in our country. This issue is just like so many other rights debates we’ve had in our country. There were people fighting desegregation of races just as strongly. You will one day look back and wonder how you could have been so close minded on an issue that has zero effect on your personal life. Just as people who were pro-segregation and anti women voting look back on those decisions now.

139. jprcox says: May 28, 2013 12:53 AM

He has the same right to say this as the same sex couples have to get married. I think even they would agree to that.

I don’t agree with same sex marriage, but I also don’t think its my right to say what other people can and cannot do when it comes to this. How can anyone disagree with that???

140. pkrlvr says: May 28, 2013 12:57 AM

I love how some of our less enlightened posters equate liberalism with lack of freedom and oppression. In reality it is the republicans that constantly fight against freedom. No gay marriage, no weed, no healthcare, no abortion, no civil rights, etc. Etc. Folks, read a book. If it wasnt for democrats we wouldn’t have social security, medicare, the epa, financial regulations, etc. The republicans are stuck in the old testament while we are fighting global warming and trying to help the poor and sick. Shame on you people for slinging around the word liberal like it is a racial slur!

141. robyesno says: May 28, 2013 1:01 AM

To Metrocritical:
    With all due respect to you as a person with an opinion and a belief; but, let’s say we start instead with the premise that God is the sovereign of the universe He created; and that being so, He and He alone dictates the rules and pattern for existence; allowing and denying accordingly. Clearly the anatomy of a man and a women forms purpose – it furthers life. To the contrary, the purpose of sex between the same gender is an anomaly. Those parts of the body you must engage in the act are not designed for sex. And love does need sex – because it is much more than an urge or physical act. All that is said to respectfully distinguish that “segment of the population” that owe their very being to God and the savior, Jesus that He sent; and that we not only believe, but, personally know has saved and set us free form the burden of having no control over what separates us from God(sin). Having now a relationship with the living God, we would rather die than defy Him, because we live, believe and trust Him to know best about all He created. And we serve gladly cause he has proven his love for us, by taking away our wrongs, guilt, and punishment. But this only remains an alternate premise, unless by faith you claim and then experience it’s life giving truth. Lastly, what God has joined together let no man put asunder.- it’s not any person’s opinion or permission that matters. So, stop asking, and campaigning or blaming any other person as though they have the power to make the sun rise or set. For this segment of the population, citizens of the kingdom of God, our allegiance and life belongs to Him above all.

142. kylexitron says: May 28, 2013 1:10 AM

It’s ok AP, I’m not a big believer that a closed-minded toolshed can get 2500 yards.

143. easywolf says: May 28, 2013 1:12 AM

Well written thought, I am not a believer in same sex either

144. twayward says: May 28, 2013 1:14 AM

marriage equality for our LGBT brothers and sisters is a human rights issues and we all win when everyone’s human rights are respected and protected under the law.

145. balladofapurpleman says: May 28, 2013 1:17 AM

In the interview, Peterson also said that he has gay family members. Adding that he loves them and doesn’t treat them any differently for it. I wish you would’ve also added that into the article.

He’s standing strong in his faith and I applauded him for it.

146. pisano says: May 28, 2013 1:21 AM

Everyone has his or her beliefs, but for me and my age, which is mid 60’s, I was raised Italian Catholic and the belief is,” man shall not lie with man” but I don’t begrudge anyone else in their belief. Life is a short ride, so people should do what makes them happy.

147. xpensivewinos says: May 28, 2013 1:25 AM

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

Hey Adrian: you think maybe, just maybe that could have a broader meaning???????

148. skinsfan91 says: May 28, 2013 1:28 AM

AP is a simpleton, but, he deserves that right. Keep runnin’ Forrest.

149. skinsfan91 says: May 28, 2013 1:32 AM

How is being against the rights of a “group”of humans the universe over an act of anti pc? Isn’t it just ignorance?

150. remmsterr says: May 28, 2013 1:35 AM

Marriage in general is stupid; gay or straight.

151. irishfury says: May 28, 2013 1:41 AM

I dont support same sex marriage either. Why is it i’m wrong because I don’t pander to the weak minded. Stand up for what u believe in. what else can u do. I think everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs but I doubt have to be PC all the time to please others. And there comes a point where it is still discriminatory because ur trying so hard to be PC and ur essentially saying anyone else is wrong. Freedom of speech only applies if u say the “right” thing, pushing the PC agenda. Screw that. Im an individually I won’t cater to the masses.

152. akbushman12 says: May 28, 2013 1:43 AM

AP or anyone who is willing to say what most believe and think keep it up… Stop allowing the Media or the loud 15 percent tell us what our moral compass should be…
    Most of us believe a person of the opposite sex is much more natural to
    Want a adult relationship with then the guy in his gym glass ..

If you agree show your support .. If you don’t stop voting 5-10 times to make it seem like there are more of you that believe in same sex relationship or marriage than really exist..

Thank you USA Servicemen & women !!

153. nobreak1269 says: May 28, 2013 1:43 AM

Finally an athlete who speaks his mind without trying to be politically correct.And yes AP-there are many people who agree with you.

154. irishfury says: May 28, 2013 1:43 AM

The guy posting six bigots at the top proves my point

155. broncobrewer says: May 28, 2013 1:57 AM

What bothers me is that now the Vikings and AP are going to have to release apologies. AP is going to have to do sensitivity training. All bc he has non PC believes. I just hope he doesn’t have a fake Obama ephiany right before MVP voting.

156. patriotsdefense says: May 28, 2013 2:02 AM

157. jrs1972 says: May 28, 2013 2:03 AM

Lesbians don’t bother me at all, their male counterpart however disgusts me. Does that make me a bigot?

158. croghan1919 says: May 28, 2013 2:16 AM

So…
    When the first NFL player that “comes out” is a Viking does that mean AP is gonna go bats%it crazy?
    I don’t think so.
    I hate the offseason.

159. barroomhero80 says: May 28, 2013 2:38 AM

It’s his right to believe whatever the hell he wants

160. latenightroach says: May 28, 2013 2:48 AM

Mike Wallace wants an explanation.

161. greenhornet101 says: May 28, 2013 2:51 AM

Why does the liberals who claim to be fighting for their & others freedoms seem to be bullying anybody who has a different view than theirs?
    Based on Political Law everybody has a right to their view! If anybody chooses to support gay marriage and not to support by Law have that right. If you take Bibical Law by all standards the gay life style is considered “loose conduct” such as having sex out of wedlock, adultery, drunkards, revilers, extortioners, idolaters. To choose to do these things or support these things you in opposition to Jehovah God himself. Many liberals say Jesus said nothing about gays in his Gospel, so does that mean he was for it? No, Jesus did everything according to His Father’s Will and followed his Father’s Law. Jesus also never spoke against child molesters….so is that ok? Of course not. The Bible clearly names those Acts that are in clear opposition of God’s Ways. By living a life God sets out for us and ignoring this wicked system ruled by Satan, you may have a happy life, a life that follows in line with TRUE Bible Teachings.

162. seldom1 says: May 28, 2013 3:02 AM

Who to believe? Liberals or the Catholic Church and like-minded Christians and most of the world’s cultures throughout recorded history and now AP, too?

Golly gee wiz, that’s a tough one.

163. louhudson23 says: May 28, 2013 4:12 AM

To respond to some of the idiocy above….The marriage in question is not a religious one. They are seeking a legal civil marriage just like heterosexuals receive at their local courthouse every day……and the accompanying qualifications it extends,which range from tax filing status,hospital visiting rights,insurance and social security benefits,credit extension,adoption classification etc. etc. etc…..Church marriage is a whole other issue,and in the eyes of the state ,has little or nothing to do with one’s legal status as married…..Churches have always had and will continue to have the right to marry anyone they please and deny it to anyone they please for whatever reason they please,as well as recognize or not recognize a marriage performed by another church affiliation…….. Church marriage is a title bestowed by a particular church,it has no official status beyond the confines of a particular religious denomination…..

164. bigdaddy44 says: May 28, 2013 4:49 AM

Marriage was defined in Genesis by God as being between a man and a woman. Period. You can call it a civil union, give them all the rights of a married couple, but it is not and never will be a marriage in the sense that they want it to be. It is unnatural and is only marriage by a different definition, similar to the marriage of chocolate and peanut butter in a Reese’s cup (don’t flip out anyone, it is only being used to illustrate a secondary meaning of the word). Now these gay couples (no sorry I mean all gays) should be treated with respect as human beings, given legal unions with rights and loved just as any other person should. Just as I love and respect my gay “married” sister, a couple of close friends and several coworkers. Under no circumstances are their unions now and never will be true marriages in the context that they wish them to be. Society can change the dictionary, but only God defines this truth. AP is not a bigot if the reason for his opposition is based not on hate, but on the word and love of God. And if the forces on BOTH sides of the spectrum would stop digging in their heels, recognize the truth of this matter, and maybe come up with a different term for it, then most of this battle would become a thing of the past. I say most of this battle because the small percentage of radicals on either side will never be won over.

165. timbuttrum says: May 28, 2013 5:41 AM

I tired of always be labeled hateful, closed minded, and bigoted. I am not anti gay, but I am pro God. Why can’t the pro-gay Americans give me the same tolerance and acceptance that they are desiring? You can’t accept tolerance and be unwilling to return it to an opposing view. What ever happened to agreeing to disagree? Bravo AP, you’ve gained my respect in ignoring the dreaded PC police.

166. nagasakee says: May 28, 2013 5:45 AM

All of these interpretations for two words, “Not with”?

Since we are all extrapolating his views, let me give you a different one:

Maybe his “not with” just mean’t “not for me PERSONALLY”, so he wasn’t making a general comment about gay marriage, but a specific comment about gay marriage for him.

If so, he said this poorly. But it would mean that the applause he is getting in the comments on this post for being anti-gay is all misplaced.

167. aetherealdirges says: May 28, 2013 6:08 AM

That’s disappointing, but I can’t say I’m terribly surprised.

168. swagjag says: May 28, 2013 6:16 AM

1 million gays and lesbians are military veterans. Regardless of what side of the fence you’re on. On this weekend it should be noted that 1 million of them fought for the basic freedoms most receive which they do not.

169. seanb20124 says: May 28, 2013 6:25 AM

If you do not agree with the left’s position, you will be attacked for it.

170. fballguy says: May 28, 2013 6:26 AM

Disappointing to see so many NFL fans are still so ignorant. Reading most of these comments, I’ve got my fingers crossed that the site was hacked.

Or maybe all the former remedial students got to this story before the smart kids showed up.

171. juice997 says: May 28, 2013 6:33 AM

ffffff

this nation is a representative republic, which means, the majority of the people decide what is right or wrong for this country, not political activist. this is a non-issue because the american people are overwhelmingly against same sex marriage so adrian peterson is not alone. this topic should not be discussed in this forum. this is the place for football, not social engineering. i would like to see mr. florio report on football issues, not gay rights, thank you.

172. lynchburgwx says: May 28, 2013 6:35 AM

All this means is he’s never met a gay person and gotten to know them. I was raised conservative, but making a few gay friends makes you empathize. (Unless your a total @ss)

I’ve always wondered why we care what actors, musicians and athletes say about social issues. Because you can run fast, act well or bang on the drums all day doesn’t qualify your opinion as any more worthy.

173. laffers says: May 28, 2013 6:50 AM

WOW Thanks AP;now that he has spoken my moral compass has direction!

174. vikesandravens78 says: May 28, 2013 6:54 AM

None of these news stories mention that right after saying this he said, “To each his own.” This means he may not be for it, but he’s not going to actively try and stop it. Plus, it wasn’t like he made a public announcement about it, he was asked about it during an interview. No matter what his answer would have been, media pundits would pounce all over it. I don’t even think this qualifies as news.

175. GenXJay says: May 28, 2013 6:57 AM

Nice, Florio.
    What a better way to honor the women & men who sacrificed the ultimate, on this Memorial Day, than w/controversy.

176. it's all bs says: May 28, 2013 6:58 AM

mudhead123 says:
    May 27, 2013 10:58 PM
    If you don’t agree with liberals you are a bigot.

____________________________

guess u never heard of the Log Cabin Republicans….LOL!!!

177. it's all bs says: May 28, 2013 7:05 AM

bigdaddy44 says:
    May 28, 2013 4:49 AM
    ________________

so there was NO marriage before Genesis???

and BTW when are we going to outlaw the REST of the sins mentioned in ur bible…..besides the BLATANT FACT that we have a CONSTITUTION that we base our laws on and not a Bible….LOL!!!

178. bobzilla1001 says: May 28, 2013 7:05 AM

I’ve known three, maybe four openly gay men over my lifetime. Besides their sexual preference, each had or have the same bizarre traits: overly emotional, mentally unstable, high-strung, loud, obnoxious and overbearing.
    As a heterosexual male, I’ve learned to deal with gays much the same way I deal with all people I am uncomfortable with: I stay the hell away from them. And for that I’m suppose to apologize? Never gonna happen.

179. barrywhererufrom says: May 28, 2013 7:19 AM

Lets see millions of Americans agree with ap and he will be mocked.florio makes this issue tied to memorial day I wonder what sid florio is on here

180. blueballz77 says: May 28, 2013 7:22 AM

181. buzzbeaubank says: May 28, 2013 7:43 AM

1) Freedom of speech does not entitle anyone to an undeleted comment on a PFT article. That’s ridiculous.

2) Freedom of speech does not entitle you to say whatever you want without ridicule, so Florio is also correct there. You are obviously being allowed to say that you consider gay marriage an abomination, but you aren’t awarded some magical cocoon that shields people from calling you a bigot.

182. therealpittbull says: May 28, 2013 7:56 AM

He doesn’t agree, like Billions of others, and millions that aren’t AFRAID to say their not for gay marriage also. There are many others who are fearful of those in powerful positions, with color filled underwear, that will take their jobs away. Be strong like AD. Has become one of my favorite athletes. One who is question, and will truly speak his mind.

183. fwippel says: May 28, 2013 8:04 AM

Peterson has handled this issue with far more class than his former teammate Chris Kluwe.

AP hasn’t name-called or labeled those who disagree with him as bigots, and he doesn’t act like his opinion should carry more weight just because he’s a professional athlete.

Class act all the way around.

184. titansbro says: May 28, 2013 8:11 AM

Whoever does APs PR deserves a massive pay raise. This is the guy caught going 120 in a 35, punching cops, saying NFL players are like slaves, & now confirms he is a bigot. And Chris Johnson is the bad guy cause he has braids & held out. Lol. Stupid people.

185. bluebongzilla says: May 28, 2013 8:51 AM

There are many reasons why two people may want to get married, “love” being just one of them. Heterosexuals aren’t allowed to marry people of the same sex, either. Why should gays be granted special rights based solely on their sexual preference?

Adrian Peterson has drawn a moral line in the sand. Where is your moral line? Do you even have one? How do the people that are for same sex marriage feel about marriages involving three or more people? I recently read an article about a man who wanted to marry his horse. Would you allow that and if not, on what grounds? Horses are beasts of burden that live and die at our whim. Should it matter that they’re dumb animals?

“Petterson should stop denying people the right to decided for themselves what happiness is and how they choose to purse that happiness.”

Dumbest comment in this thread. I weep for my country.

186. jprather17 says: May 28, 2013 8:58 AM

I still get a kick out of the guys in the NFL who declare themselves against gay marriage who have ancestors who were denied similar rights not even 60 years ago. The logic of not allowing a person to marry someone else because they are of similar sex is void of any human logic that exists in modern intelligence. Those who say its propaganda to criticize anyone who disagrees with gay marriage is an idiot. No one is censoring anyone from saying they disagree with it. As an opponent of gay marriage thy have to understand the backlash, much like I understand the backlash of my belief that the national anthem is overplayed, as well with “God Bless America”, and removing your hat during these songs is superstitious and idiotic. Shut up, take responsibility for your thoughts, or lack thereof, and move on. Stop trying to garnish any form of sympathy for your idiotic belief that belongs on the Bronze Age.

187. bluebongzilla says: May 28, 2013 8:58 AM

“As a veterans of the U.S.A.F for over 20 years, WE gave people the RIGHT to speak their mind! If you have not served your country, please be quiet!”

You may have preserved them, but you didn’t GIVE anybody their unalienable rights. SMH.

188. poundthenuckolls says: May 28, 2013 9:10 AM

I have 2 questions for you anti-equality folk (which seems to be the majority of the commentors) who like to opine about how immoral it is for anyone not like you to be in love.

1. Outside of a closed minded religious belief can just one of you give a logical answer as to why marriage equality is wrong (and “it’s icky” is not logical)

2. Since you think being gay is a choice one makes; when did you choose that you were going to be straight?

189. Dean Keaton says: May 28, 2013 9:10 AM

Wow, this is the first balanced thing you have said about this issue. Thanks to all of our Veterans and the members of our armed forces who defend our great country and the rights that it ensures we have.

190. dohpey28 says: May 28, 2013 9:14 AM

You know AP, not too long ago many people weren’t ‘with’ equal rights for minorities. If we don’t learn from history we are doomed to repeat it.

191. stellarperformance says: May 28, 2013 9:22 AM

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Athletes and celebrities in general have access to the media not reserved for the rest of us, so they get a lot of attention. AP and everybody else can believe whatever they want, as long as there is a tolerance and acceptance for everybody else.

Please do not bring religion, particularly the bible, into it. If it works for you, great, but don’t tell me you know it works for me too but I’m just too stupid to know it….(and you’re just helping me despite myself.) The bible is a guidebook for those that think they need it. I don’t.

The pursuit of happiness applys to everyone, not just those that conform to your limited perspective.

192. We need Bud Grant says: May 28, 2013 9:23 AM

AD is just being a good soldier and deflecting attention from the fact that they lied to us about how they were going to pay for the new stadium.

193. mattryannolan says: May 28, 2013 9:41 AM

I really can’t believe a lot of people are trying to say that they are disappointed in AP for having this opinion as a black person. I’m going to say that this and gay marriage are just a bit different. Not once have I see a gay person enslaved or “owned” by a person which they are unable to vote, have to use different restrooms, or anything of that nature. Regardless of race he’s allowed to say what he feels. He was asked a question and he answered. It should be on the media for throwing him into the fire. They had to know he was a christian so therefore it feels like they took a chance to deface him in the public eye. But I really don’t care that much just pointing it out.

I just hate people on here on either side using SWEEPING generalizations. Saying you lost ALL respect for a man for having an opinion is not only scary for you as a person as to how narrow-minded you are(despite how open-minded you think you really are) but unfair for AP or anyone. Also people on the other side of this issue just need to remember it is about Love. Love in the sense that we are called to love thy neighbor as thy self. Meaning just remember don’t dehumanize people on either side. Which is hard to do on the internet

I just want people to stop acting like if they don’t see eye to eye on this issue it’s the end of the world. Let’s all take a step back here. Sometimes I feel like straight people on the internet have a more heated opinion on this issue than gay people do at all.

194. lscratchingthesurface says: May 28, 2013 10:24 AM

I may not agree with whatvyoucsay but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it–Voltaire

195. willgrove80 says: May 28, 2013 10:33 AM

Good for you AP; while I’m not going to speak out against what two people want to do with their lives, as I really don’t care one way or the other, yet I applaud your willingness to say, “Hey, I have an opinion that doesn’t match everyone elses, one that goes against what the LibDem Media is trying to push, and I’m allowed to have my opinion and speak it!” People will hate you for your words, but lifes not about making the brainless and brainwashed masses happy.

196. isthereanyusernamesleft says: May 28, 2013 10:59 AM

Not a Vikings fan but my hats off to AP and for writing this piece people have the same rights to speak against it. Lots of courage!!!!

197. bluebongzilla says: May 28, 2013 11:06 AM

“His religious beliefs tell him not to believe in same sex marriage. Other people’s religion make them believe its OK to cut peoples head off.”

And for some people, the lack of religion is nothing more than a desperate hope that after life, one will never be held accountable for one’s actions in life.

198. ketchupaholic says: May 28, 2013 11:17 AM

Being Black vs. Being Gay are not the SAME THING! Get that through your thin skin! One is a Human Right Issue, the other is a Civil Right Issue. Overlapping them to make them in order to gain acceptance is absurd.

199. seals1 says: May 28, 2013 11:24 AM

Well said Mike, if you can platform on one side you can have an opinion on the other. It comes down to his Faith.

Adrian is his own man.

200. Mr. Wright 212 says: May 28, 2013 11:25 AM

bluebongzilla says: May 28, 2013 11:06 AM

——————-

Truth.

201. stellarperformance says: May 28, 2013 11:46 AM

bluebongzilla says:
    May 28, 2013 11:06 AM
    ….And for some people, the lack of religion is nothing more than a desperate hope that after life, one will never be held accountable for one’s actions in life
    ///////////////////////////////////////
    Meaning what exactly? How do you know what afterlife includes? You don’t….it’s called blind faith. Speaking for myself, I try to treat all people as I would want to be treated by them, and it has nothing to do with Santa watching to be certain if I have been bad or good. I am not desperately hoping anything.

202. kuranda84 says: May 28, 2013 12:49 PM

Our founders constantly speak about the need for a moral society. I didn’t think much of it until this last decade or so, but the founders on numerous occasions write that our society will not prevail unless the people are a moral and religious people. Agree or disagree with them, but our society is very immoral.

203. bigdaddy44 says: May 28, 2013 2:06 PM

it’s all bs says:

so there was NO marriage before Genesis???
    ________________________________
    You are way too easy:
    1. Since Genesis begins by telling how the earth was formed, how could there have been marriage, since there were no HUMANS yet.
    2.Your next EXTREMIST example would mean that everyone in the world would be in jail for sin.
    3.Yes, there is the BLATANT FACT that we have a constitution and our laws are supposed to be based on it. The other BLATANT FACT is that these laws are created by fallible men and women, and although though there may be truth in some of them, they are not based on ABSOLUTE TRUTH. I could be 4 foot 6 inches tall . Society has the right to change the definition of tall and short and call me tall. Governments can change the laws to do the same thing. The absolute truth is no matter what society or government says, I would still be SHORT. Changing the definition and the law to call gay couples “married” does not mean they have changed the truth of marriage in the biblicle sense and changing the law to call a 4 foot 6 inch tall does not make them tall.
    Unfortunately, there are too many who are fighting to have there unions defined and called marriage in a biblicle sense, when the biblicle definition is completely against them. Why insist to have yourself DEFINED by those who OPPOSE you? Have them come up with their OWN term for it, give them all the legal rights they deserve and everyone can move on. That is, except the small percentage extremists on both sides, who will always be angry. Let them continue to bang their heads against the wall.
    P.S. – bs, put a helmet on.

204. ryanesouther says: May 28, 2013 2:10 PM

Who cares, he’s an athlete not a politician. He can believe whatever he wants.

205. contra74 says: May 28, 2013 2:30 PM

Great job Florio – you managed to get a lot of clicks on a slow news day.

206. chewingonlightbulbs says: May 28, 2013 4:37 PM

I couldn’t care less what any athletes think about anything. If they want to believe the magical crap that some book tells them, have at it.

207. Frazier28/7 says: May 28, 2013 5:27 PM

It’s not his preference, no big deal. He also stated he has no bias towards gay people and never stated he was against it. To each his own. Non story.

A gay person isn’t with straight marriage, so why would a straight person be with gay marriage.

208. whatjusthapped says: May 28, 2013 5:37 PM

Considering the majority of Viking fans are, as they say, light in the loafers, I’m pretty sure the Vikings management can’t be thrilled with this.

They can make up for it by giving away free gerbils at the first home game. You know, win them back with a show of appreciation.

209. TheWizard says: May 28, 2013 7:07 PM

Good post, Mike.

210. micknangold says: May 28, 2013 7:07 PM

Lol “if it goes to far”. You delete just about everything you don’t like.

Nice how you took it easy on AP. Probably not because you’re a Vikings fan, right?

211. realdealsteel says: May 29, 2013 10:08 AM

I agree totally with AP. God didn’t intend marriage for same sex situations. He just didn’t. Modern man feels that he knows more then what the creator intended. That’s called Blasphemy.

212. arkham112 says: May 29, 2013 11:14 PM

Regardless of whether people “believe in it”, or whatever book from any given religion says, gay marriage is real and here to stay.

Gay marriage happens every day. Your opinion of it does not matter; it is legal in 12 states and there are more states that are close to legalizing. A decade ago gay marriage was legal in 0 states. Recent polls show that a majority of Americans now support gay marriage.

This is why I love America. Our society constantly adapts to new knowledge, new perspectives and sheds old prejudices. Progressive tides do not abate in this great country of ours. Note that the word progressive contains the word ‘progress’.

213. Mr. Wright 212 says: May 30, 2013 1:27 PM

arkham112 says: May 29, 2013 11:14 PM

—————-

It does matter, because once it goes on the legal books, the government will have the right to force unwanted legislation and lifestyle down the throats of people who are against it.

So yes, our opinion does matter. You just (predictably) don’t like it.

214. oldguardof60s says: May 30, 2013 5:57 PM

I’m with you all day, A.P.

215. seahawksteven777 says: May 30, 2013 7:48 PM

Why can’t gays get married? I don’t understand it. It doesn’t personally affect those who are against it.

I think the real problem is the people who are against it. You’re basically denying people their rights as a human being.

I think everyone has the right to be happy and to be with whoever they want to be.

216. lebronsinsecurity says: May 30, 2013 7:54 PM

The comment section of this post are downright scary. AP can say whatever he wants, that’s his right. Me calling him a bigot is mine.

If I said, as a man, “I’m not with women in the workplace” I’d rightfully be called sexist.

If I said, as a white guy, “I’m not with black” I’d rightfully be called a racist.

If I said, as a right-handed person, “I’m not with left-handed people” I’d rightfully be called stupid.

Spin it how you want, calling a spade a spade it all it is.

217. pillowporkers says: May 31, 2013 9:52 AM

So many people don’t know what the word Bigot means. Bigotry is irrational hate of a group of people. Since when did “I disagree” turn into “I hate”?

218. Mr. Wright 212 says: May 31, 2013 11:57 AM

pillowporkers says: May 31, 2013 9:52 AM

————–

Not following the herd and group think is now “bigotry” haven’t you heard?

219. faaast1 says: Jun 1, 2013 6:35 AM

“They can make up for it by giving away free gerbils at the first home game.”
    ————————————–
    Absolutely brilliant.
    Great idea!

220. Shayn Roby says: Jun 1, 2013 8:54 AM

For those of you who call AP a “bigot” for opposing gay marriage and say that you are calling a spade a spade, you are heathens who have hellfire in your future. In Romans 1:24-32, God’s Holy Word says that same gender sexual activity is an abomination in the sight of the Lord. THAT is calling a spade a spade, whether you like it or not. Go ahead and shake your fist at God. Even shake it while you are in hell. It will be as effective for you then as it is now.

221. duece5 says: Jun 3, 2013 11:39 AM

duece5 says:

The problem with granting marriage to same sex as many states have, is it changes the value system for many of us, and our children in what is taught in public schools…….parents our “forced” to not opt out on certain gay books and teachings (check Massachusetts), and it is appalling what is taught……do the research…..it never ends.

As a CHRISTIAN,it is important to stanIf gay people want to marry, allow them benefits for gay unions, but it is not a marriage!

222. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jun 3, 2013 3:44 PM

duece5 says: Jun 3, 2013 11:39 AM

duece5 says:

——————-

People need to realize that this is the overarching sentiment for those who are against it — as deuce5 said. If it were to stop just at granting gays the right to marry and the basic benefits that married couples have, that would be one thing.

Only the naive and willfully short-sighted think that it stops there. The rest of us realize that with legal precedent, with the government legislating and enforcing new laws, that the law has an amoebic tendency to spawn off into other lives.

That is all to summarize what deuce5 said. One law begets another, another freedom over here, and then all chaos breaks out.

For those who think we are stiff-necked by calling that lifestyle abhorrent, the fact that nothing but deviance would follow suit when it comes to future laws shows you that it is a deviant lifestyle.

I know that doesn’t sound good to proponents of that lifestyle, but for those who are against such, it is what it is.