Anthony Spencer not worried about 4-3, or contract

Anthony Spencer, Robert Griffin III AP

Anthony Spencer still wants a long-term deal with the Cowboys, and hopes one comes this summer.

But if he doesn’t get it, he at least has experience dealing with the aftermath.

I’m really not worried about it,” Spencer said, via Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “I come here, I work, and then I go home and relax. If it gets done, it gets done. I have the same attitude I had last year. It ended up working out for me, so I don’t worry about it much.”

This is the second straight year the Cowboys used the franchise tag on the outside linebacker-turned-defensive end.

He made $8.8 million a year ago, and is scheduled to make $10.6 million this year, unless he and the Cowboys can meet in the middle on a long-term deal by the July 15 deadline.

Spencer said he was thinking something in the range of the five-year, $41 million Paul Kruger got from the Browns sounded about right.

“I want to be here for the rest of my career,” Spencer said. “Hopefully we can get that done. If we can’t, then so be it.

“With the franchise tag I have right now, it’s pretty much up in the air after this season. I want to be here, and that’s pretty much the bottom line.”

He also said he wasn’t concerned about switching to the line in Monte Kiffin’s 4-3 defense, as he’s added 10 pounds to get into the mid 260s.

“I get to rush,” Spencer said. “I don’t have to worry about any of the coverage stuff, formations and what’s going on in the back end. I can just focus on the ball and getting to the ball. That’s the easy part.”

The hard part, as they’ve shown over the last year-plus, is deciding what that’s worth.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
6 Responses to “Anthony Spencer not worried about 4-3, or contract”
  1. doomsdaydefensetx says: May 28, 2013 5:20 PM

Jerry will get Anthony his long term deal soon enough and he will flourish swtiching to defensive end. #GoCowboys

2. rwhited2 says: May 28, 2013 5:27 PM

I think I would definitely prefer to finish out my career in Dallas as well, considering that their current GM has a bad habit of mismanaging players’ contracts and then overpaying for them to minimize the damage after the fact. Look at Spencer’s past two years compensation. He’s a decent player, but worth 19.4 million???? Not even close. Dallas players win, Dallas fans lose…

3. trollaikman8 says: May 28, 2013 5:37 PM

Arguably the best player on the Dallas D last year….also the only one left standing.

4. mazblast says: May 28, 2013 5:46 PM

Good attitude. Good player. No idea what he’s doing working for JJ, though.

5. austinoxford says: May 28, 2013 6:06 PM

The math on this one is easy. He’s getting 10.6 mil now and is asking for 8.2 a year for 5 years. In 3 years 8.2 is going to be lower/middle level pay for a Defensive End. 8.2 is 500k more than what Will Smith makes. Spencer had 95 combined tackles to pair with 11 sacks and 2 forced fumbles. Compare that with Smith’s 58 tackles and 6 sacks. Spencer just turned 29 and by the time he plays out his contract (probably 4 years with a 5th year option which Dallas will not exercise) he will be at the end of his rope at 33, which is about time to cut ties. So I say give him the 5 years 40 mil and give yourself some cap room.

6. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: May 28, 2013 10:13 PM

Spencer played defensive end in college and early reports from OTAs are that he looks very good at DE in the 4-3 defense.

Jerry and many Dallas fans are curious to see if Spencer has two great years back to back, in him.