Andre Johnson doing what he can to help DeAndre Hopkins

DeAndre Hopkins AP

Before the draft, Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson said that he wanted to see the team use its first-round pick on a wide receiver to play opposite him in hopes of creating a bigger threat for opposing defenses.

The Texans made Johnson’s wish come true by drafting DeAndre Hopkins and they’ve wasted no time making it clear that they expect Hopkins to play a major role in the offense from the very start of his professional career. Johnson is paying the team back for listening to his plea by doing what he can to help Hopkins live up to those expectations.

“I try to help as much as I can with him and all the other young guys,” Johnson said, via John McClain of the Houston Chronicle. “I guess he gets it a little bit more because he sits next to me in meetings. It’s just (some) plays that he sometimes gets confused with. Most of the time, he knows what he’s doing. But you’re going to have questions with the system being new for him. He’ll continue to get better and better.”

Getting Hopkins up to speed quickly would be a good thing for the Texans as a team and likely for Johnson as an individual as well. If defenses have someone else to concentrate on in the passing game, it will lead to more advantageous situations for Johnson to turn into big gains and points for Houston.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Andre Johnson doing what he can to help DeAndre Hopkins”
  1. texan1979 says: May 29, 2013 10:30 AM

This boy is catching everything thrown at him. Cant wait to see hopkins in action.

2. bluenose1965 says: May 29, 2013 10:59 AM

Hopefully the competition will light a fire under Keyshawn Martin. Along with a healthy Devier Posey, who was making great strides late last season, the Texans could have a strong receiving core for the next few years.

3. theguybelowmehasnoarguement says: May 29, 2013 11:03 AM

I see a position that once was in desperate need, is coming along to be a great advantage.

4. damcmp says: May 29, 2013 12:07 PM

Andre can’t help…he is the least productive WR with 800+ catches and 10K yds….no body control , doesn’t run clean routes. He has had all those WR/TE picks wo help him out… 56 tds in 10 yrs ….for the first 5 yrs he would jump up and the ball would bounce off his chest and pads…Maybe it has been a good thing that Schaub has a weak arm……….

5. buckybadger says: May 29, 2013 12:43 PM

This will get lots of thumbs down but its the truth. Players don’t mentor players or try to make that person better. That is what position coaches are for. Sure they will say it to the press so they don’t look bad but this is the reality of pro sports. Its about competition and right now the Texans [and every other team] are competing for roster spots and playing time. This directly relates to money. I think Tory Holt gave the only honest answer when he said “I will mentor him right to the bench”. Players don’t celebrate the draft like fans do, these players are all being drafted to take over the older guys job. When you hear a player say “I am doing my best to help the younger guys” its a lie 99% of the time. Fans hate to hear this but its the truth.

6. davetexansfan says: May 29, 2013 12:54 PM

I don’t think there’s any better veteran WR to be learning under than Andre Johnson. Yea, I’m biased but I honestly think so.

7. fosteraustralianfortouchdown says: May 29, 2013 1:38 PM

Andres a once in a lifetime talent! think of all those years David Carr was throwing him 5 yard screens and he was still putting up big time stats and going to the probowl.

8. dylude says: May 29, 2013 2:43 PM

I respect your perspective buckybadger, but applying that to Andre Johnson is just wrong.

Andre is a class-act in the Texans organization and will be our first hall of famer and is current the GOAT to put on a Texans uniform.

He doesn’t have much “Brett Favre” diva in him, he blocks hard and plays through injury. He didn’t hold the Texans over a barrel in contract negotiations and never considered leaving even when our QB situation was terrible.

Houston loves Andre, his legacy is intact and therefore he will mentor the “competition” because Andre may have a statue at Reliant when it’s all said and done. JJ Watt and Andre Johnson in bronze.

9. buckybadger says: May 29, 2013 3:13 PM

dylude, I am not saying he isn’t a class act, I am saying this is the reality of the NFL. This isn’t about his legacy either. Johnson wants to make that statue of him be built as far out into the future as possible, meaning he wants to play as long as possible. It is just how these guys are wired. He didn’t become a top WR of his generation by not being competitive, no one does. His attitude isn’t, well my career is a HOF one and I have little left to prove. His attitude is I am going to do everything I can do be the best I can. That usually don’t include helping younger guys push you out the door.

Hopkins can learn from Johnson but it will have to be by his example and that really should be enough. Watch how he practices, listens in meetings and carries himself from day to day but don’t expect any player to mentor you to take his place. Johnson’s legacy is secure in Houston and will always be loved there but what that man desires more than your love is his playing time on the football field. It was that drive that made him what he is and it is that drive that keeps him on top. This isn’t a knock on him in any way. I just laugh at fans winsome attitude about their teams, it shelters them from the harsh realities of playing in this league. Makes for a heart warming story but its not the truth.

Also I remember him telling the front office a few years back that if they want to resign him they need to improve. Nothing wrong with that either because someone had to say it and he is a true leader.

10. bullsonparade1977 says: Jun 2, 2013 8:33 PM

You become the best by not being part of the other 99%. Think about that…

11. 12hunter93 says: Jun 3, 2013 1:08 PM

Buckybadger, in most situations I would agree with you. However, in Andre’s case, he is a proven veteran wr who will most likely retire when he reaches the point where he is in jeopardy of losing a starting/play maker role. He has made enough money during his time with the Texans, and has been productive enough to leave a lasting legacy. The one nock against him as a HoF player is his lack of championships. All players want one and his best chance of getting one is to do everything he can to improve the young receiving core. So for Andre, it really is in his own best interest to help and teach the younger guys.

I agree with what you said about veterans helping younger guys only when they feel they have significant time left in this league, and want to protect their starting role and compete against everyone for as long as they possibly can. Andre however, wants to see the team he remained loyal to win a Super Bowl, WHILE he is still there playing!