Cam Newton drops some weight, looking for “edge”

Cam Newton, Greg Olsen AP

Cam Newton said he didn’t need to be part of the conversation about the league’s fastest quarterback, a title which Michael Vick thinks he still owns.

But Newton has tried to streamline himself regardless, dropping 12 pounds from last season, down to 243.

He joked Wednesday that he needed to double-check that number after eating wings last night, but said the weight loss wasn’t necessarily designed to increase his mobility.

“It was just a personal goal that I set for myself,” Newton said. “I’m not going to go into what it really meant because looking at my body from afar you really couldn’t tell, . . .

“It’s just me challenging myself to have an edge going into the season.”

In a perfect world, Newton would be running it less, not more this year anyway.

The Panthers’ offense improved last year when they got away from as much read option, and leaned toward a more traditional run game (for a team with many running backs, what a concept).

He’s still capable of big plays, and the Panthers should utilize him.

But keeping him upright and throwing will be more important to their success, and having him focused on improving as a quarterback (whether nutritionally or otherwise) can’t be viewed as a negative.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
26 Responses to “Cam Newton drops some weight, looking for “edge””
  1. riderspantherssk says: May 29, 2013 1:39 PM

From listening to Cam’s interviews this offseason, it sounds like he is starting to figure it out and mature a little bit. Only time will tell, and he has a long ways to go but it looks like the kid is starting to get it.

2. whysomanylosers says: May 29, 2013 1:40 PM

I thought he was looking for the laptop he tossed out the window….

3. thetooloftools says: May 29, 2013 1:42 PM

His is the guy Terrelle Pryor lays awake at night wishing he could be.

4. vexey says: May 29, 2013 1:43 PM

I like what he and the team has done this offseason, hopefully it will translate on the field

Shame the rest of the division got better as well :/

5. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 29, 2013 1:44 PM

Yes, I’m trying to streamline myself too.

6. CKL says: May 29, 2013 1:49 PM

He already looked like he didn’t have much body fat but maybe losing some was part of it. Also strengthening legs and core helps throwing mechanics.

I saw his whole presser and he handled himself pretty well. He didn’t get into the “fastest QB debate” when he was asked. He said he just wants to be unable to be caught. Good answer!

7. recyclecode6 says: May 29, 2013 1:50 PM

“Edge” retired. He’s stuck with a diminishing duo at RB. He’ll bounce back and thrive with realistic expectations. He can thank Luck/Wison/IR3 for the spot light shift…I’d rather have him than Josh Freeman

8. joetoronto says: May 29, 2013 1:53 PM

He’s too light between the ears.

9. tonyugoh says: May 29, 2013 1:54 PM

He got overshadowed by all the rookie QBs but Cam is still a very good young QB with the potential to be a superstar, he just needs to get his head on straight and the team needs to put the proper supporting pieces around him. No disrespect to Colin Kaepernick, but if Cam had that team around him and Harbaugh coaching him up, don’t you think he could’ve done the same stuff Kaep did last season?

10. thesteelers says: May 29, 2013 1:55 PM

He will be out for the season by week 4.

11. janvanflac says: May 29, 2013 2:03 PM

I always liked him as a QB not his fault his defense blows.

12. thegreatgabbert says: May 29, 2013 2:03 PM

Cam must have been at Sergio Garcia’s house last night.

13. freepretzels says: May 29, 2013 2:03 PM

He is not even slightly fat. Huge guy.

14. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: May 29, 2013 2:08 PM

Not sure what “Cam lite” will mean on the field. Given the Panthers offensive line, being more agile can’t hurt.

15. bucrightoff says: May 29, 2013 2:18 PM

All I will say is look at his stats in meaningful games or against good opponents and then look at his stats in meaningless games or games against poor opponents.

16. johnelwayishorsefaced says: May 29, 2013 2:21 PM

I would like to make a request: Can we please stop calling press conferences “pressers” and scholarships “schollys”?
    Have we really devolved to the point where we’re incapable of using the proper name of what we’re trying to describe? Is it really that hard to simply type the whole word out?

17. circuscivics says: May 29, 2013 2:38 PM

“bucrightoff says: May 29, 2013 2:18 PM

In one situation he’s a mediocre to poor QB, in another he’s pretty good. I’ll let you figure out which falls with which.”

______________________________________

His best game was against the team that finished with the best record in the NFC, The Falcons. Also, against some of those poor opponents that you talk about (e.g. the Chiefs), some actually have good defenses. You can’t judge a QB’s performance base off of the record of his opponents. The QB’s matches up against the opponents’ defense. It is better to look at the strength of the opponent’s defense. Therefore, your statement really doesn’t hold up. The Chiefs, Cards, and Rams are some of the teams that I can think of with strong Defenses, but poor records.

18. larrydavid7000 says: May 29, 2013 3:09 PM

the only edge this punk can get is to grow up and act like a man instead of a punk that he is.

19. ebbycalvinlaloosh says: May 29, 2013 3:10 PM

Now if he could just drop the me-first attitude and Superman pose when trailing by 24 points, he might be onto something.

20. seahawkshurtpeople says: May 29, 2013 3:28 PM

Man the NFC is stacked with athletic QBs.

You’ve got Cam who seems more focused than ever, Kaepernick, RGKnee and of course the king of them all Russell “The Killa” Wilson.

Wow! I bet at least 3 out of 4 make the post-season

The playoffs is gonna be exciting as hell this year!

21. rhamrhoddy says: May 29, 2013 3:40 PM

The guy clearly has the physical assets, if mental/emotional side can catch up soon then this guy could be a beast for years to come.

So here’s my biggest question: Can he stop pretending to be Superman proudly coming home from a dental cleaning on EVERY score? I’ve seen him do it when he scores late in games the Panthers are clearly out of and it’s not pretty.

22. bullethead527 says: May 29, 2013 4:14 PM

Panthers have only been beat by several scores in 6 games or so.

Panthers are 1-12 in games decided by 7 points or less. Cam is 13-19 as a starter. The only blow out losses I can think of is the Tenn game in 2011, Saints and Lions in 2011 and then both Manning brothers tore us apart last year. But other then that we have been competitive.

I cant stand when people act like we just get crushed every game, Carolina in on the rise, not this coming year, but I feel this team is getting over the hump, and we will start to win these close games that we let slip away in the 4th QTR.

23. whatswiththehate says: May 29, 2013 4:36 PM

I seriously want to know what emotional and mental issues does Cam have?

I swear some of u seem like u need to grow up way more than Cam. JS

24. nfloracle says: May 29, 2013 4:43 PM

Watching some of you guys comment about how Cam’s on the right track and really showing signs of maturity and adulthood proves without a doubt the old saying…

Hope springs eternal.

I’m sorry, but doesn’t NFL history reveal that immature quarterbacks with huge senses of entitlement never do grow up?

25. mrposey5 says: May 29, 2013 4:45 PM

26. nfloracle says: May 30, 2013 9:17 AM

“As a Charger fan, I wonder why he doesn’t get more respect, for what he does ON THE FIELD, of course. Cam Newton has thrown for 7,920 yards in his 2 seasons, the most EVER by a player in his first 2 years in the NFL.”

Charger fans have to be happy with individual records ON THE FIELD since, like the Panthers, they lose close games and, as for playoff games, forget that pipe dream.