Charles Woodson on Al Davis: Different with the big guy not here

Charles Woodson AP

As he begins his second stint with the Raiders, Charles Woodson says he notices one major difference from his previous tenure in Oakland, where he called home from 1998 to 2005: Al Davis has passed away.

“Really, the only difference is the big guy is not here,” Woodson said of the late Raiders owner. “I think that’s really it. Knowing that you’re not going to see him coming out onto the field at any point in time this season is really the different feel to this organization. But I know that the organization is in good hands with Mark [Davis] taking over and bringing in Reggie [McKenzie] to come in here and try to get the Raiders back on the right track. In that sense, it feels good and there’s definitely a positive feel to it.”

Woodson says he regrets that he never had an opportunity to talk to Davis after leaving the Raiders for the Packers in free agency.

“I hadn’t talked to Al Davis since I left. One of the things that I look back on that I didn’t do when I left is just really have a conversation with him when I left the Raiders. Didn’t get a chance to speak with him and I wish I had,” Woodson said.

Woodson said he doesn’t know Mark Davis, Al’s son, who took over the team when his dad died.

“I haven’t seen Mark in years, since I left in ’05-06,” Woodson said. “So it’s been a long time. So haven’t really been around him since that point. There’s only one Al Davis though. I’m sure he’s a lot different.”

And the absence of Al Davis means the Raiders are a lot different than the last time Woodson was in the Silver and Black.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Charles Woodson on Al Davis: Different with the big guy not here”
  1. ramrene says: May 29, 2013 2:21 PM

2. farvite says: May 29, 2013 2:21 PM

Packer fan on Charles Woodson: Different with the big guy not here.

3. therealraiderduck says: May 29, 2013 2:29 PM

ramrene says:
    May 29, 2013 2:21 PM

===============================

Which is why you both read the article and commented on it.

4. efriedo says: May 29, 2013 2:35 PM

ramrene says: May 29, 2013 2:21 PM

“It’s still the Raiders, the most irrelevant team in the NFL. Nobody cares about them.”

_______________________________

ramrene must be a Cleveland Browns fan…

5. desertrace21 says: May 29, 2013 2:46 PM

therealraiderduck says:
    May 29, 2013 2:29 PM
    ramrene says:
    May 29, 2013 2:21 PM

===============================

Which is why you both read the article and commented on it.

================================

They are so irrelevant that he comments on EVERY post about them. Typical Raider hater. Would rather troll the stories about them and bash them than support whatever team (maybe the Chargers) he loves.

6. ra8rphilporvida says: May 29, 2013 2:52 PM

Lamerene you must have bumped you head if you think the raiders are irrelevant , check your football history the winningest team for three decades was the RAIDERS & with big Reggie and coach D.A. At the helm the Silver & Black are Back!!!!! Just win baby

7. godofwine330 says: May 29, 2013 2:55 PM

I remember Pat Kirwan of SiriusXM NFL got ticked off when someone suggested back before Al died that the Raiders would n ot get any better until Al Davis died because he wasn’t going to change, nor was he going to hand the reigns over to anyone else while he still breathed. As mad as Kirwan got, I knew it to be true, and you figure deep down he knew it, too.

I believe the Raiders are on the uptick and seem to be heading upward. Better draft picks, and not simply people who are fast. Things are going better for the silver and black.

“Autumn Wind is a Raider, Pillaging just for fun. He’ll knock you ’round and upside down, And laugh when he’s conquered and won. “

8. adoombray says: May 29, 2013 3:00 PM

“history the winningest team for three decades was the RAIDERS”

Which is exactly that, History. None of that matters at all since Al Davis is dead and kids have been born and raised and are old enough to go die for their country in the time the team has been bad. It’s about as relevent as the Lakers history ; Dr. Buss is gone, and all that’s left is Tommy Boy running the show for both teams.

Charles Woodson isn’t relevent anymore either. He’s my third favorite Packer ever behind Rogers and LeRoy Butler, but I watched every game he played last year. He’s done. He can’t run. He committs PI on practically every play. he’s good for jamming recievers and for shoestring tackling running backs. that’s it. Good veteran leadership and part time coach? yeah that I can give him. but as a player, he should have retired in Green and Gold.

9. csdaddy7777 says: May 29, 2013 3:05 PM

This ain’t your daddy’s Raiders and that’s a good thing

10. ninerfan81 says: May 29, 2013 3:08 PM

I might sound ridiculous but at least the Raiders were somewhat competitive under Hugh. They were 8-8 that year and controlled their own destiny for the playoffs (which resulted in Hugh’s hilarious rant,lol). I like the direction of the franchise under McKenzie… but the QB situation is trash, literally, thats why they’ll be horrible this year, they need to draft a franchise QB or see what they have in Pryor. They’re staring down the barrel of a 3-13 type of season. Another down year for the fans in the Bay.

11. raiderlyfe510 says: May 29, 2013 3:12 PM

adoombray says:
    May 29, 2013 3:00 PM
    “history the winningest team for three decades was the RAIDERS”

Charles Woodson isn’t relevent anymore either. He’s my third favorite Packer ever behind Rogers and LeRoy Butler, but I watched every game he played last year. HGood veteran leadership and part time coach? yeah that I can give him. but as a player, he should have retired in Green and Gold.

———————————/————/——–/

Charles Woodson- your third favorite Packer of all time is a product of the Raiders. Even his use at Safety comes from the Raiders. Coach Lynn started it in 2001…Later Rob Ryan did it with the “Wolverine” position. Dom Capers just added on to it.

Raiders will be back and it will be hell to pay for the NFL who’s been trying to clown us. When the Raiders start collecting debts on the hell that your favorite teams have to pay to the mighty Raider Nation watch you all jump back on the tip and rush to your nearest store to by your Raider gear.

Big Al was Vito Corleone and Reggie’s Michael Corleone…Raiders are about to settle all family business….In Reggie McKenzie we trust.

12. tooz72 says: May 29, 2013 3:19 PM

ninerfan81 says:
    May 29, 2013 3:08 PM

for one it’s HUE..and that year they had the worst defense in the history of the organization..Pryor is a clown, Wilson is the QB of the future..go worry about your Whiners

13. corporate1raider says: May 29, 2013 3:19 PM

Raider fans … whenever someone posts a negative statement about the Raiders all they are trying to do is get a response from you.

Best course of action? Ignore them. Do not dignify their pathetic little posts with a reply.

I believe it makes them feel good to post the obvious. The Raiders have not been very good for a long time and that’s fine. Al ran the team the way he saw fit and we, the fans, stuck with the team regardless of the frustration. We are Raider fans.

Al’s skills slipped, he made bad decisions so you and I and the team suffered. Al has passed on but the Raiders continue.

Hopefully they will improve this year. The Raiders are the best team, with the best logo, the best colors, and the best uniform in the league. They may not be very good in terms of winning games at the moment but I believe they are on the upswing. Soon the Raiders will have big money to spend and a full allotment of draft choices. If Reggie is allowed to do what we all think he can do the Raiders will start their climb and will reassert themselves in the NFL.

It does not matter what others think, the Raiders are the Raiders and they are our team … win or lose.

14. ninerfan81 says: May 29, 2013 3:46 PM

corporate1raider says:
    May 29, 2013 3:19 PM

The Raiders were 7-4 in 2011 and went 1-4 down the stretch and finished a game out of the Wild Card, that was two years ago. I honestly felt like Hue did a good job…They were damn competitive that year.

15. datmilehighswagistoodamnhigh says: May 29, 2013 3:47 PM

His real regret is gonna be not going to Denver. There he coulda had a good defense around him. Now he’s stuck with no pass rush tryinna cover the best WR corps in the league in Thomas, Decker, and Welker not mention Tamme, Dressen, and that speedster they drafted outta Georgia. But hey at least he’s gonna get dat money, he’s gonna need it for. all the burn treatment he’s gonna need. Silly raiders…thinking they have a real NFL team hahaha

16. radrntn says: May 29, 2013 3:49 PM

With or without Al….same two words….GO RAIDERS!

17. ninerfan81 says: May 29, 2013 3:50 PM

tooz72 says:
    May 29, 2013 3:19 PM
    ninerfan81 says:
    May 29, 2013 3:08 PM

————————————————–

I’m actually not worried about much of anything, i’m posting to a Sports Blog fool. Thanks for the grammar correction….Wilson? As in the Seahawks Wilson? How did we get on that topic. Stay on task and on topic, you were apparently an attentive student if you’re editing blog posts so lets remain focused on the topic at hand Starbucks boy.

18. datmilehighswagistoodamnhigh says: May 29, 2013 3:52 PM

Shoot I can’t believe the raiders have ‘fans” buncha football ignorant crowd following losers just like packers, Steelers and cowgirl Romo loving rejects. Bring on the thumbs Downs it’ll just make watching the raiders go 4-12 even better. Go Broncos!

19. albigverg says: May 29, 2013 4:02 PM

It’s funny how all these haters say that the Raiders are irrelevant and that nobody cares yet we have all these bloggers from other teams on Raider post. I for one love the attention. Raider Nation Baby

20. godofwine330 says: May 29, 2013 4:15 PM

@ adoombray says:

“history the winningest team for three decades was the RAIDERS”

____________

Okay, it was after the 2002 season that the Raiders last went to the Super Bowl. They have been bad ever since going 4-12 the following year and 5-11 after that. Unless they are allowing 10-11 year olds fight in the US military you are sorely mistaken.

I would rebut your entire argument, but when there are blatant errors in your first paragraph, only that needs to be faced because you already built a house on quicksand…no need for me to knock it all the way over.

21. torturedraiderfan says: May 29, 2013 4:22 PM

I’ve been a Raider fan my whole life. Even I have to admit, the Raiders never had a chance over the last 10 years with Al Davis in charge. He made horrible personnel decisions. I had to stop watching the draft because I was affraid I’d have a heart attack after each stupid draft pick. His ego became more important to him then winning, which is why he shipped Gruden out of town. Now the whole organization has a more normal feel. McKenzie is building a solid base. I get the sense that the Raiders are finally going to turn the corner. Wouldn’t be surprised if they start to jell this year and win more games then expected.

22. wolff111 says: May 29, 2013 4:42 PM

Yeah there’s only one stupid Al Davis. Finally the Raiders got freed. Not so much for the cowpukes though and Cincy.

23. GO FOR TWO SPORTS says: May 30, 2013 10:31 PM

adoombray says: May 29, 2013 3:00 PM

“history the winningest team for three decades was the RAIDERS”

———————————————————-
    Ok 2 things first how can Rogers be your favorite Packer EVER when he is still playing? What if he leaves the Packers some day and joins the Vikings and wins the Super bowl?
    2nd Woodson will retire a Raider. That’s one of the reasons why he went to Oakland

24. vfan76 says: May 30, 2013 10:48 PM

Go figure… he’s already regretting the move. Stupid Raiders.