Marcell Dareus highlights group of returning Bills

Lex Hilliard, Marcell Dareus, Bryan Scott AP

The Bills are waiting on Kyle Williams for a little while longer, but they did have another starting defensive lineman back on the field Tuesday.

Marcell Dareus was absent from last week’s set of voluntary OTA practices, but he returned to the field and the first team when this week’s schedule got underway. Dareus explained that there was no acrimony involved with his absence.

“I had stuff I had to take care of,” Dareus said, via the team’s website. “As a man, everybody has their responsibility. I had my responsibility I had to take care of.  I did that, and now I’m back here with the guys, working on what we’re going to work on. I stayed in my playbook, stayed in shape. Just came out here ready to run.”

Dareus wasn’t the only player back to work on Tuesday. Safety Da’Norris Searcy also reported for duty after skipping last week’s work while a couple of Bills recovering from injuries ramped up the amount of work they were able to do.

Wide receiver Stevie Johnson graduated from individual work to reps with the rest of the starting offense, which signals an end to worry about the strained back that kept him off the field for the early part of offseason work. Tackle Erik Pears made the same leap in his recovery from a groin injury that has lingered since last season. He’ll join Sam Young and Chris Hairston in a scrap for snaps at right tackle, although Hairston’s chances are currently hindered by his own battle with an undisclosed injury.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
6 Responses to “Marcell Dareus highlights group of returning Bills”
  1. ihatethejets23 says: May 29, 2013 9:03 AM

Having Pears return to his 2011 form would be nice.

2. bigdinla says: May 29, 2013 9:26 AM

Sam Young should be battling for nothing. He is tall, stiff and slow! Hey at least he is weak!

3. pioniere says: May 29, 2013 10:16 AM

Looking for a big season out of Marcell Dareus!

4. EJ says: May 29, 2013 10:47 AM

Dareus will have a major impact on the D-line this year. With a couple of years now under his belt, the return of a healthy Kyle Williams and getting to play next to a super hungry Mario Williams, Dareus will contribute much more this year than last. Forming a bond with and learning from Kyle Williams will push MD to the top of his game this year. I expect to see big-time results with the whole D this season. With the front 4 gaining trust in one another, newly drafted LB Kiko Alonso, trade pickup Jerry Hughes and newly acquired Manny Lawson rounding out the Linebacking core, Second year starter Stephon Gilmore with re-surfaced Leodis McKelvin, Justin Rogers or Ron Brooks working the Corner position and the combo of Safeties Jairus Byrd with either Williams, Aaron or Duke head-hunting the D-backfield, the Bills look much stronger on this side of the ball.

5. mz1394 says: May 29, 2013 12:04 PM

Bust

6. billsboy88 says: May 29, 2013 11:39 PM

I’ve wondered if Marcel’s family life was cause for his drop in production last year. His younger brother got gunned down in the streets right at the beginning of the season. That’s gotta weigh heavy on your mind…

Really hope he has a better year, Bills need more out of him.