Sean Spence says he plans to play this year

Carolina Panthers v Pittsburgh Steelers Getty Images

While his coaches couldn’t agree on the prognosis, Steelers linebacker Sean Spence said Wednesday he plans to play this season.

Spence, last year’s third-round pick, was hurt in the final preseason game, injuring three ligaments and suffering nerve damage. That’s the most concerning of the lot, and Spence admitted the nerve was “healing slow.”

The collection of medical issues led Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler to say Spence would need a “miraculous recovery,” to come back, while head coach Mike Tomlin said Spence would have a “full recovery.”

I’m going to continue to attack this like I’m going to play this year,” Spence said, via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I’m in meeting and preparing as if I’m practicing. I’m just going to continue to get better and I’m looking forward to the season.”

Such a quick return might still be a long shot, but Spence has been attending OTAs and meetings to continue to learn. He said he was able to run, and hasn’t ruled out playing this season, though many think that’s unlikely.

“I know I’m going to beat the odds,” Spence said. “I’m not even worried about that. The progress that I have made, the doctors say that I’ve already beat the odds. I’m just keeping my faith in God and knowing he’s going to give me another chance.”

The Steelers had high hopes for Spence playing early on, but at this point, getting him on the field at all would be impressive feat of rehabilitation.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Sean Spence says he plans to play this year”
  1. scoobies05 says: May 29, 2013 4:10 PM

i saw this story a few months back. not a steeler fan but best wishes to shawn spence

2. ratbirdking says: May 29, 2013 4:14 PM

As a former cane and football fan, I hope he can come back have a great long career.

I’d prefer it to be on any another team, but oh well, good luck.

3. nickster31 says: May 29, 2013 6:29 PM

If he can return to 100%, and Jarvis Jones can be what he was in the SEC, then this LB corp is going to be the best in the NFL.

4. steelcityfinest13 says: May 29, 2013 11:49 PM

He has steel curtain all over his face…love this guy!

5. plumbstl says: May 30, 2013 1:37 AM

I’m so happy to hear the good news for you Sean I’ve been praying for you. The NFL network would do well to do a piece on your story or maybe Real Sport. There are many fans that would love to hear this great story of grit and determination best wishes Sean.

6. contract says: May 30, 2013 6:59 AM

He may want to start preparing himself for his next career. This one is done.

7. walkinginthewasteland says: May 30, 2013 8:42 AM

Good luck Sean, don’t rush it.

8. steelforce43 says: May 30, 2013 9:39 AM

I love this kid. Plays with a ton of heart. If he was taller he would have been first rounder and everyone would have known his name. The U fans repeatedly compared him to Ray Lewis.