Antonio Smith wants extension, says Texans do too

David Stewart, Antonio Smith AP

It got lost a bit in the shadow of the season that J.J. Watt put together, but Texans defensive end Antonio Smith played well in 2012.

Smith had seven sacks and forced two fumbles while playing on the opposite side of the line from Watt and gave the Texans as good a pair as 3-4 defensive ends as you’ll find anywhere in the league. Smith would like to see the partnership extend beyond the 2012 season.

Mark Berman of FOX 26 in Houston reports that Smith was talking about a contract extension on Thursday. He’s entering the final year of his deal and indicated that the Texans share his desire to remain on the team.

“I told them I wanted to be here and I wanted to spend the rest of my career here,” Smith said. “They told me they are open to doing an extension.”

Smith is set to make $6 million in 2013 and he has a cap figure of $9.5 million, a number which would likely come down to a more manageable figure if he could reach agreement on an extension with the Texans. While Smith is turning 32 this season, he’s remained productive and a short extension that shaves down that cap number would likely wind up working out well for both sides.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Antonio Smith wants extension, says Texans do too”
  1. 8to80texansblog says: May 30, 2013 5:25 PM

As long as its cap friendly, I’m down. But his $9.5MM cap number is ridiculous.

Because to be honest… I think the Texans are going to have to part ways with Matt Schaub if he plays next year like he did at the end of this last year.

2. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 30, 2013 5:26 PM

filthymcnasty1 also wants an extension.

3. houstontexans99 says: May 30, 2013 8:02 PM

@8to80texansblog…his cap number is so high bc it’s been relatively low the first several years of the contract. His cap number is $9.5 million but that doesn’t mean he gets paid that, that’s just the remainder of his contract that hasn’t counted against the cap yet. His extension would probably be 2 years in the $13 million range, but I would like more guaranteed money at lower price. If he gets an extension we would be delaying his cap number again and would revisit this problem in a few years.

4. jjblackcat7 says: May 30, 2013 9:00 PM

here’s hoping that Smith can stay. Love me some Ninja!! I’m hoping he’ll be willing to restructure to stay.

5. htown1035 says: May 30, 2013 9:01 PM

houstontexans99 says: May 30, 2013 8:02 PM

—————————————————–

houstontexans99, yes that’s his cap figure and YES that’s what he’s getting paid this season. His base salary coupled with his bonuses equal to that $9.5M cap figure. His contract ends after this season. If he gets an extension it can ease up this season’s cap figure, but more than likely it will be a totally new deal since they’ve not asked him to restructure his current deal. If he gets a new deal it will be a backloaded 3-4 year deal to make it more cap friendly when the deals for Cushing and Watt come along.

6. houtxfan4053 says: May 30, 2013 10:12 PM

I would love for the Ninja Assassin to finish his career as a Texan. He’s been productive under Wade Phillips, and seems to be a mentor to the younger guys. Hopefully, the Texans can reach an agreement with him that benefits both him and the team.

7. rabbi187 says: May 30, 2013 11:19 PM

He’s the dirty every defense needs; Texans should definitely try to resign him.

8. 8to80texansblog says: May 31, 2013 10:32 AM

To bo honest I don’t really care what they are paying him, I care about his cap number. At 9.5M there were a lot of people saying he was going to be cut. I think he is a very good DE, not a great DE. But we have a great DE and a very good one on the other side is about as good as you can ask for.

Restructure him, create some cap room and go sign Eric Winston already. We have massive issues on the right side of the line right now and he’s a guy who’s played at that position, in this offense, at a very high level. And this far into the offseason, he can be had on the fairly cheap I’d bet.