Eric Berry eyes playoffs for Chiefs

Berry AP

Chiefs safety Eric Berry is afraid of horses.  He’s not, however, afraid of talking about a 2-14 team making it to the playoffs.

“As long as we keep working, as long as we keep getting better every day, and everyone comes in focused, we have a very, very high chance of reaching the playoffs – which is not our only goal but it’s the first step toward where we want to go,” Berry said on Wednesday’s edition of Pro Football Talk on NBCSN.  “So, as long as we just keep working and keep moving forward, I feel like we got a great chance of doing some great things but if we don’t then, it’s not going to happen.  But I’m going to make sure that we do stay focused and that we keep moving in that direction so it’s a high possibility that we will be.”

Berry’s focused is being enhanced by new coach Andy Reid, who is as Berry said, “Tough on me.”

“[I]f anything’s going bad on the defensive side of the ball, he’s always going to come at me,” Berry said of Reid.  “Just to make sure, because he knows I’m supposed to hold that side of the ball to a high standard and just making sure that everybody’s doing what they’re supposed to do.  It’s just been a lot put on me.  I know I’m up for the challenge.  I know I can handle that so I’ve just been trying my best to keep moving forward and getting this team moving in the right direction.”

But he won’t be moving in the direction of any horses.  While he may not hate anyone who ever had a pony, Eric Berry hates ponies.  And horses.  And anything else equine.

“[B]ack when I was little and my home girl, I was about three or four, she had like a little party or whatever,” Berry said.  “And they had like a pet horse there, like a little pony.  And me, seeing how ponies act on TV, I thought it was going to be the same way and tried to go over there and touch the pony and it actually bit me.  So after that it’s been no ponies, horses, donkeys, anything of that family.  You know what I’m saying, like I don’t deal with none of them.”

Berry definitely deals with Broncos.  And if the Chiefs are going to make it to the playoffs in 2013, Berry may need to do some biting of his own when Kansas City plays Denver this season.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Eric Berry eyes playoffs for Chiefs”
  1. greyhawk9 says: May 30, 2013 7:57 AM

hahahahahahahahaha!!!!

2. lks311 says: May 30, 2013 8:38 AM

Not a Chiefs fan, but, this is is completely within the realm of doable.

3. tatvin says: May 30, 2013 8:55 AM

there is NO way they even come close to Denver. only hope is a wild card

4. jbholcom says: May 30, 2013 8:57 AM

I think the Chiefs have a real chance to the playoffs. The real problem last year was the coaching, not the players. This team is loaded. Romeo is a nice guy, but he never should have been promote to head coach. I would even argue Haley should have stayed, but Scott Pioli’s ego couldn’t take it. Reid was handed a loaded team that will give the rest of the NFL fits once they gel.

I still believe the Broncos will win the AFC West this year, however once Peyton is done the Broncos are done. They will be going through a major rebuilding process. The Chiefs on the other hand have much younger talent and will take over the top in the very near future.

5. raidadon says: May 30, 2013 9:10 AM

6. joetoronto says: May 30, 2013 9:44 AM

Chiefs fans yell, “Were #32!”

7. floridaslonechargersfan says: May 30, 2013 11:18 AM

How this team had six pro-bowlers last season while only winning two games is beyond me.

8. jjackwagon says: May 30, 2013 11:52 AM

Trollonto back in action. Talk while you can because you know you will disappear once the season starts.

9. bwisnasky says: May 30, 2013 12:28 PM

Simple question… I always hear about how talented this Chiefs team is…. have year after year.. and every year, I hear how bad the Raiders are… and yet this Chief’s team has finished below the Raiders every year except the year they played the worst schedule in the league only playing 2 games against teams with winning records, while San Diego, Oakland and Denver all fell apart. Almost by default they won the division that year.. outside of that, they have been consistently worse than Oakland the past 6 years… but… Oakland takes the rap year in and year out of being a bad team (which they have been), but KC gets pass after pass. People can blame the coaching last year, but remember this a team that did not hold a lead in regulation last year until like week 8 or 9 or something….. Even the first game they won against New Orleans, they did not lead in regulation and won in overtime. Do they have some decent pieces? Yes, just as the Raiders have had “some pieces”. But KC is as far from being a serious playoff threat as the Raiders are… in fact, considering they haven’t won a playoff game in almost 25 years, I’d say they are even less of a playoff threat than Oakland.

10. kennykenken8 says: May 30, 2013 1:17 PM

I really believe they can do it!

11. anhdazman says: May 30, 2013 1:56 PM

“Seven teams have had the first overall pick and gone to the playoffs. Why do these guys feel compelled to run their mouths. Shut up and do work!”

There have been 77 NFL drafts over the years. You say 7 teams have made the playoffs with the 1st pick over all.

1 out of 11 chance. Those odds aren’t good, especially when you got yourself Alex Smith. Another Cassell clone.

Come to think of it, didn’t all the critics picked the Chiefs to do big things last year?

12. kcchiefs99 says: May 30, 2013 2:43 PM

Okay-find a whole on this team. Sure you have a defensive end and defensive tackle spot which is weak. But other than that all of our posistions are filled with solid starters or Pro Bowlers. And how many probowlers did oakland and san diego have last year. Exactly. And just to stregthen my argument over half of our 6 probowlers were voted in not by the fan vote, but by the players and coaches around the league. So while your running you mouths about how your teams are better, your teams coaches and players are voting our players into the probowl. Sure we had and will have an easy schedule but what did oakland do when they finished last in the division in 2010. What did they do in 2011 when they had the divisions weakest schedule. And in 2011 when we had our biggest stars out we were still within a missed field goal if winning the division. This is a whole new team with a whole new attitude-all about winning football games. And the only reason you guys are reading about the chiefs is because you are probably jealous about the direction this team is headed compared to yours. Thank you all for your time an have a wonderful summer. See yall in the playoffs…wait. Oakland and san diego wont make the playoffs, my bad.:)

13. dhitter says: May 30, 2013 7:26 PM

Wow…there are a lot of real analytical heavy weights on this site….Let me see. 1. A team sucked last year therefore they will suck this year. That is a rule or something I guess. Don’t know how bad teams ever get good or vice versa. They should always just stay they way they are. Another rule most of these mensa candidates adhere to….2. My team made changes in the offseason therefore they will shock the rest of the league…but your team (even though they made changes) will still be bad. 3. Even though your team had 2 of the lowest rated QBs in the NFL last year your whole team is bad cuz everyone knows QB play isn’t really all that important in the NFL. 4. Andy Reid flamed out in Philly and therefore can not do anything in KC. Again, the wisdom here is priceless. No coach ever got fired and had success elsewhere. I get it. 5. There isn’t a team out there that wouldn’t want a Jamaal Charles, Dwayne Bowe, Derrick Johnson, Eric Berry, Tamba Hali, Justin Houston, Brandon Flowers….but these “experts” know better and still act as if the Chiefs have no base to build on. 6. With a new front office, new coach, new QB, upgraded Oline, new defensive scheme, top rusher in the AFC and 6 pro bowlers all the Chiefs can hope for is last place? You better go to Vegas and bet the farm now before KC actually shows any signs of improvement and causes you all to 2nd guess yourselves.

14. raiderapologist says: May 30, 2013 9:31 PM

kcchiefs99 says: May 30, 2013 2:43 PM

————–
    I guess when you only win two games all year and get swept-and even shut out-by a team like Oakland, your only choice is to brag about the pro bowl. Like it matters. And wouldn’t “over half” of six be four? The Chiefs had three starters. One of them was a punter. And for some reason, Hali was named a starter, while Houston, who clearly had a much better season, was named an alternate. Ed Reed was selected as the starting free safety, while Eric Weddle didn’t get a sniff. The Pro Bowl is slightly more significant that the NFL top 100, but not by much.

15. broncosnative says: May 31, 2013 1:05 AM

jbholcom says
    —-——————————————————————————–

Tell me this, how does manning’s retirement means done for Denver? Hey were getting better before him, he was icing on the cake. Denver is young on offense and defense with a few vets to mentor the young guys. Ask any player, you learn better and faster when you have a Future HOFer showing you how it’s done. Keep thinking that Denver will be in a major rebuilding process, there’s no team in the AFC west to match the talent that Denver has all around. The chiefs only can rely on their starters to stay heathy, once they go down the whole team crashes. Another thing, if Elway and co can turn the broncos around in just a few years, it won’t take them long to find the right guys for the team to stay competitive. Don’t make things sound easier for your chiefs than what it is, broncos only had one really bad year other than that, they’re alway in the mix with the others

16. dc7phil says: Jun 2, 2013 3:05 PM

dhitter: When you say things like “no coach has ever been fired and had success elsewhere” you make yourself look stupid.

I will just list one name: Marv Levy. He got fired by the Chiefs and took Buffalo to 4 straight Superbowls…and should have won the first one vs. the Giants.

“Oh, but he never won” you say. Perhaps so, but point made….you are an idiot.