Jones-Drew decision expected next week

maurice-jones-drew Getty Images

Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew won’t have to wait long to find out whether he’ll be charged with battery following a Memorial Day incident with a security guard.

Per Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, Jones-Drew will meet with police Friday to provide a statement.  By next week, he’ll learn whether charges will be pursued.

Jones-Drew’s lawyer has agreed with police to refrain from publicly disclosing Jones-Drew’s side of the story.  If Jones-Drew is charged, that likely will change.

As Mike Dempsey of 1010XL in Jacksonville astutely pointed out on Wednesday’s PFT Live, the evidence likely will include video footage shot by cell phones and/or surveillance cameras.  Absent a smoking gun in the form of an image of Jones-Drew making like Little Mac cold-cocking Bald Bull, Jones-Drew most likely won’t face prosecution.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
8 Responses to “Jones-Drew decision expected next week”
  1. thejohnsmith1122 says: May 30, 2013 10:32 AM

“The decision regarding charges will be made by prosecutors, who often choose not to pursue a case if they don’t believe there’s sufficient evidence to meet the very high standard of proof beyond a reasonable doubt.”

——————————-

HA! That statement makes me laugh. I’m not saying this is the same situation or even close, but look at AP’s case. Prosecutors defenitely had “plenty” of proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

Sometimes there’s so many different “loopholes” procecutors can use to make someone guilty of a crime the person is almost forced to accept the plea deal.

2. hedleykow says: May 30, 2013 10:37 AM

Meeting with the police is so inconvenient.

3. thegreatgabbert says: May 30, 2013 11:37 AM

Security guard’s lawyer says the video clearly shows short, fat, Mo, sucker punching his client, then “running away”. This could get comical for everyone but MJD.

4. thenew013 says: May 30, 2013 12:06 PM

I honestly dont care what happened I just hope he is ready week 1. This is his contract year he needs to be healthy and drama free and playing like the beast he is. I dont want to see him go but i think the jags are preparing for the worst from MJD just to be safe. Favorite Jaguar of all time imo. hopefully he can retire in the teal and black.

5. opietaylor says: May 30, 2013 1:22 PM

I would like to hear what Jay Cutler has to say about this.

6. BigVinnyInJax says: May 30, 2013 7:12 PM

He’s receiving the benefit of the millionaire.

7. fraudguy says: May 30, 2013 8:58 PM

Beyond a reasonable doubt? I sat on a jury where we found the defendant innocent. In a Q&A afterward, the prosecutor and defense attorney asked some jurors why we came to our decision. When I told the prosecutor that I didn’t even think they met preponderance of evidence, he said that to bring to trial, he only needed probable cause, which was a very low hurdle. I told him he probabaly didn’t even meet that.

And the defense attorney said that he had recommended his client take a plea deal.

Maybe we should ask Calceterra to chime in…

8. rmzthefirst says: May 31, 2013 7:48 AM

Ha the Police department is on the street here where I work, I should hang out and video tape his entrance into the building, just to make sure he doesn’t try to sucker punch someone on the way in…!