Mark Sanchez doesn’t expect Geno Smith to beat him out

Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez, Greg McElroy, Matt Simms AP

Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez says he isn’t giving a lot of thought to losing the starting job to rookie Geno Smith.

I don’t plan on that happening,” Sanchez said, via the New York Daily News. “I’m planning on playing, I’m planning on starting.”

Sanchez also said that he’s happy to help Smith in any way he can, and that one of the reasons he’s secure in helping Smith is that he’s secure in his belief that he’ll be the starter when it’s all said and done.

“Part of that comes when you’re just confident in yourself. If I was insecure about something or . . . can’t handle this competition, maybe I wouldn’t say much to him. Maybe I’d be a little scared to give him help,” said Sanchez. “But I don’t feel like that. I just don’t. That’s not my personality. I’m confident, I’m ready to go, I can do it, I know I can.”

Sanchez said he’s rooting for Smith to do well, and that he’s also rooting for the other two quarterbacks on the roster, Greg McElroy and Matt Simms, to do well. He just thinks they won’t do as well in training camp as him.

Permalink 68 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
68 Responses to “Mark Sanchez doesn’t expect Geno Smith to beat him out”
  1. unionjack1776 says: May 30, 2013 3:34 PM

His headband must be on too tight if he really thinks that.

2. frankiesweep says: May 30, 2013 3:34 PM

34 year jets fan and i already canceled my sunday ticket, b/c i can’t go through another year of watching this guy play qb…

3. doomsdaydefensetx says: May 30, 2013 3:34 PM

Expect the unexpected.. Mark

4. Mr. Wright 212 says: May 30, 2013 3:36 PM

Are they testing young Mark for illegal narcotics usage?

5. crush22 says: May 30, 2013 3:37 PM

M-E-S-S
    MESS! MESS! MESS!

6. mwatts1 says: May 30, 2013 3:37 PM

I hope not. Do Jets fans think Mark cares about their opinion? It’s the Jets! I guarantee they do not win the SB this year…. GUARANTEE! (I know, bold prediction)

7. classyjacklambert says: May 30, 2013 3:38 PM

I’ll take that bet!

8. floridaslonechargersfan says: May 30, 2013 3:39 PM

Sanchez better hope Smith beats him out. The Jets are destined for a 4-12 type season. Sanchez could collect a fat paycheck from the bench, stay healthy, and most importantly, stay out of the spotlight before getting cut.

9. jtbaudendistel says: May 30, 2013 3:39 PM

No matter who “wins” they still lose. Zero supporting cast

10. 4thquartermagic says: May 30, 2013 3:40 PM

He also didn’t expect a butt to cause him to fumble

11. sdcameron says: May 30, 2013 3:41 PM

What do you expect him to say? “No I think I am going to lose”? Not gonna happen.

12. DubZ480 says: May 30, 2013 3:41 PM

He didn’t plan on the “Butt Fumble” either…. just sayin

13. jintsfan says: May 30, 2013 3:49 PM

The staff and front office is more afraid of him looking GOOD than not. I say he sits and Smith starts (unless he looks like he’ll be an embarassment).

14. jagsfanugh says: May 30, 2013 3:49 PM

LOL@ both of the quarterbacks. Then again my Jags aren’t looking too hot either.

15. purplepride74 says: May 30, 2013 3:50 PM

Why can’t I say this is like McLeod Bethel Thompons beating out Joe Webb for the Vikes QB3? What’s so controversial about that?

16. MichaelWrites says: May 30, 2013 3:51 PM

No, he probably expects Brett Favre to unretire and beat him out. Or maybe Joe Namath.

17. unlogicalvoicesays says: May 30, 2013 3:53 PM

expect the unexpected.

18. granadafan says: May 30, 2013 3:53 PM

“Part of that comes when you’re just confident in yourself. If I was insecure about something or . . . can’t handle this competition, maybe I wouldn’t say much to him. Maybe I’d be a little scared to give him help,” said Sanchez”
    ================================================

Ah, that explains Favre’s behavoir when he flat out refused mentor or even say so much as hello to Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay.

19. apmn says: May 30, 2013 3:56 PM

Based on past performance I would wager that he isn’t much of a planner at all.

20. buddysguys says: May 30, 2013 3:57 PM

hard to beat out a guy that’s a free agent after camp………boom roasted.

21. sail105 says: May 30, 2013 3:58 PM

Why must the world be subject to such inane and absurd statements. Can’t Jets PR just shut him up and let him practice his butt fumbles?

22. demolition510 says: May 30, 2013 4:00 PM

Get’tm Marky Sanchize. LOL

J-e-s-t-t-t-t

Jest jest jest jest

23. rr2000k says: May 30, 2013 4:00 PM

What’s the over and under on this? I think the grounds keeper could beat you out.

24. 69finfan says: May 30, 2013 4:02 PM

Fans from other 31 NFL teams hope not as well.

25. black43gold says: May 30, 2013 4:08 PM

Which one is it again, Franchez or Sanchize?

26. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: May 30, 2013 4:08 PM

J-E-T-S
    Suck
    suck
    suck

27. whatnojets says: May 30, 2013 4:26 PM

Scary but it’s true……Sanchez has a better QB rating than Mr Broadway Joe

28. rantsravens says: May 30, 2013 4:28 PM

Because he’s smart enough, he’s good enough, and gosh darn it people HATE him!

29. thegame2830 says: May 30, 2013 4:32 PM

Really…what could he possibly teach him…how not not to run into the butt of your guard or how to be next to last in total QBR the last 3 seasons?!?

30. raji1824 says: May 30, 2013 4:41 PM

Yeah because you might get cut before Geno beat you out

31. sportnorcal says: May 30, 2013 4:44 PM

Just start the season early, to spare us another couple of months of Marky Mark giving his positive spin on the situation and how THIS TIME he will take it serious and improve.

32. hehateme2 says: May 30, 2013 4:58 PM

Part of that comes when you’re just …. trying to talk yourself into believing something. This kid has no clue about how to lead. Yea, he’s ready to lead the league in turnovers again maybe.

#headbandgate

33. spedman24 says: May 30, 2013 4:59 PM

Sanchez is going to have a breakout season. They are going win 12 games this year.

34. hatesycophants says: May 30, 2013 5:09 PM

Well, Tebow couldn’t beat him and he’s like the 14th or 15 greatest College football player ever.

35. pisano says: May 30, 2013 5:20 PM

Sanchez just doesn’t get it, this is his last year with the Jets whether he sits on the bench or carries a clipboard, you can’t talk your way into the starting quarterback job, which is exactly what he’s trying to do, your reputation precedes you, and God knows with the damage he’s the done in the last two years there’s no way he’s going to beat out McElroy, let alone Geno Smith. As a previous poster stated, that sissy looking headband he wears must be cutting off the circulation to what little brain he has. I know it won’t happen, but I pray the Jets cut him before the season even starts.

36. lrjets says: May 30, 2013 5:25 PM

demolition510 says:May 30, 2013 4:00 PM

Get’tm Marky Sanchize. LOL

J-e-s-t-t-t-t

Jest jest jest jest
    __________________________________
    And your team for this season would be, Einstein?

37. kw27p says: May 30, 2013 5:56 PM

Least he won’t be beat out for high school prom king.

38. mogogo1 says: May 30, 2013 5:56 PM

This is why I can’t believe they’re keeping Sanchez. Sure, they’ll get killed by the salary cap hit if they cut him loose, but having him around contributing to the circus and possibly even beating out the newest QB of the future is going to be a disaster.

39. thejohnsmith1122 says: May 30, 2013 5:58 PM

Well, obviously he’s starting…the coach is wearing him as a tattoo for goodness sake.

40. vegaskid21 says: May 30, 2013 6:03 PM

So according to Sanchez’s logic, the Jets completely wasted their 2nd round pick.

41. goldrush36 says: May 30, 2013 6:03 PM

spedman24 says: May 30, 2013 4:59 PM

__________________________________
    Mark shut up and get back to practice. You got a job to lose. Stop trolling PFT under aliases

42. thetooloftools says: May 30, 2013 6:21 PM

The only reason he’ll start is because the Jets are not going to pay him all that money to carry a clip board. When is something going to stick to Rex Ryan? This isn’t funny anymore.

43. zeke2517 says: May 30, 2013 6:23 PM

I hear he has worn a headband. Let’s make silly jokes about that and pretend that we’re football fans.

44. jrs1972 says: May 30, 2013 6:52 PM

if smith cant beat sanchez out by the end of training camp he might as well file his retirement papers and start looking at the fast food industry because if you can’t jump ahead of sanchez on a depth chart you arent beating anyone on a depth chart ever.

45. securb2013 says: May 30, 2013 7:22 PM

Matt Simms will be taking snaps before Christmas – book it!

46. cool10857 says: May 30, 2013 7:33 PM

Hey Mark Sanchez, wake up and smell the coffee because your time as the Jets QB is over. You’re done, Kaput, finished, finito. Get it? Adios Sanchez. You suck. The biggest BUST in NY Jets history.

47. bigbadal21 says: May 30, 2013 7:57 PM

Look on the bright side Sanchez. If you had been successful all the fans of the other 31 teams would be screaming about you being a rapist.

48. newyorkshets says: May 30, 2013 8:01 PM

Cue the circus music

49. ratdogs says: May 30, 2013 8:03 PM

The J-E-T-S are a Mess Mess Mess

50. patfaninbflo says: May 30, 2013 8:07 PM

Apparently, his coach’s unfounded optimism has rubbed off on him. They’ve won a couple of Super Bowls together, right?

51. valcomm5 says: May 30, 2013 8:15 PM

Dumb and Dumber

52. madmax80 says: May 30, 2013 8:38 PM

thegame2830 says: May 30, 2013 4:32 PM

————————————-
    While I’m all for stats that make Sanchez look bad – Total QBR?? Really? Shouldn’t you be posting on ESPN??

Trent Dilfer – is that you??

53. saints4life57 says: May 30, 2013 8:57 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Boy he better hope for his sake that he isn’t wrong because he will look like the biggest jackass in the NFL! ( I mean more than he is already and that’s gonna be hard to do!) I love when I read something on the computer and i’m just sitting he cracking up! Family must think i’m nuts! But it’s Sanchez who is nuts!

54. hvoigt21 says: May 30, 2013 9:04 PM

I am not a jets fan, but I am rooting for Mark,Sanchez…I think he will do good this year because its all or bust and to be quite honest, they will go 2-14 with Gino Smith. why the Jets drafted this dilweed is beyond me. They must have an idiot for a GM.

55. dlk47823 says: May 30, 2013 9:20 PM

Took all of 5 mins for the ever creative “butt fumble” mention. I guess that’s the best you can do.
    As far as Smith learning from Sanchez, the kid does have 4 road playoff victories. That’s the same number PEYTON MANNING has.
    Its not as bad as the trolls would have you believe.

56. dlk47823 says: May 30, 2013 9:28 PM

Vegaskid- Smith was the Jets 3rd pick in the draft. Its not mandatory that he start in week 1 to make it a good pick. He’ll play another 15 tears so relax.

57. finjim1020 says: May 30, 2013 9:46 PM

Go for it Mark! We Dolfans are pulling for you!

58. alokian says: May 30, 2013 10:09 PM

If Sanchez really is handing out lessons, here’s hoping Geno isn’t listening.

59. pdma7 says: May 30, 2013 10:17 PM

Does Rex still have that #6 tattoo? Just wondering.

60. myeviltwinstwin says: May 30, 2013 11:04 PM

Of course, he doesn’t know when to expect a blitz either. So, there’s that

61. stlfan92 says: May 30, 2013 11:36 PM

My 14 year old nephew has a signed football from Sanchez and he doesnt even want it. That is sayin somethin haha.

62. packerfan12 says: May 30, 2013 11:54 PM

Let me preface this comment/rant with MARK SANCHEZ STILL DOESN’T GET IT

It is this type of mentality that has led Sanchez down the path of poor play and at his very best mediocrity. I can’t believe that he would come out and say something this dumb…He was benched last year, yet he doesn’t think that Smith can come in and take his spot? Are you kidding me? Who does he think he is? You don’t throw 18 picks to 13 touchdowns and expect to start next season.

Lastly, (this is off topic) Sanchez has always had to come out and call himself a leader, when in reality the man leading the ship is Rex Ryan. If you are a true leader, you shouldn’t have to call yourself one constantly. Sanchez’ immaturity and from what I saw on Hardknocks lack of work ethic leads me to believe that he doesn’t get it, will never get it, and will end up as a bust.

63. j4man1 says: May 31, 2013 12:28 AM

Is this guy for real? The only reason Tebow didn’t take over is because they are trying to ruin his career, he’s being blackballed – but does sanchez not realize he sucks? Seriously?

64. firestarter0728 says: May 31, 2013 12:50 AM

The Jests would be smart to just cut Sanchez now. In an honest competition he would beat out Geno Smith hands down, which would make their GM look like an incompetent boob. And nobody wants that.

65. sb34champs says: May 31, 2013 12:59 AM

Perfect……..so he wont see it coming

66. steelfan1 says: May 31, 2013 6:32 AM

You can never count a man out until he is truly out.

Drew Brees was an average QB with the Chargers hence the reason why they had the number one overall pick and picked Eli Manning, who later got traded for Phillip Rivers.

Rivers comes in and Brees stepped his game up, so much so that Rivers who analyst were saying was the most Pro ready QB during the draft sat on the bench for 3 years.

Now I don’t know if Sanchez has that in him, but there is always an exception to the rule and Sanchez might be it.

67. thegame2830 says: May 31, 2013 9:42 AM

dlk47823 says:
    May 30, 2013 9:20 PM

Its not as bad as the trolls would have you believe.

Yea but you forget that it was the Jets defense that carried that team to four road playoff victories…they were ranked in the top 5 the first two years he was there and then the top 10 the third.

68. CKL says: May 31, 2013 12:12 PM

steelfan1 says:
    May 31, 2013 6:32 AM
    You can never count a man out until he is truly out.

_________________________________
    Rivers was on the bench for 2 years, the first of which was partly due to his rookie holdout costing him time in the offense, but I agree with the rest. One thing I will say is that Brees/Rivers had a lot better skill players and a pretty good defense behind them back then. Sanchez has had the good D most of the time, but right now he has nothing proven at the skill players to help him. And I don’t think he’s as talented as Rivers and Brees to begin with so he has a big mountain to climb. In my opinion they should let Geno sit a year at least. Throwing a rookie QB into a team in transition can mess them up. It’s too bad for them Garrard had to retire because he would have been the perfect mentor for Geno and he probably would have been a decent enough starter to tide them over.