Suggs tells Crabtree to take his time with Achilles

Terrell Suggs AP

While expecting 49ers wide receiver Michael Crabtree to miss the season because of last week’s torn Achilles seems the conventional wisdom, some point to Ravens outside linebacker Terrell Suggs’ comeback a year ago from the same injury as a reason for hope.

But Suggs said it’s hard to compare injuries, and pointed out that even though he was on the field the end of last season, he was far from himself.

“I was still effective against the run because you can play the run with your legs and your arms,” Suggs told Clark Judge of CBSSports.com. “But as far as pass rushing, you need a tremendous amount of explosion, and I didn’t have that right off the bat for a large portion of the season. . . .

“I can’t tell you for sure what [Crabtree] should expect when he comes back because it’s different for players at different positions. For me, my explosion didn’t really get there until the end of the season. So, my guess is that he wouldn’t be Michael Crabtree right off the bat.”

Suggs said the hardest part of preparing himself for those early stages of the recovery was literally doing nothing. Athletes are conditioned to work, and not pushing himself too fast is crucial with such an injury.

“The first two-and-a-half to three months he’s going to have to be patient and content within himself,” Suggs said. “Because he can’t move. My doctor told me, ‘You’ve got to give me three months, . . . just three months, . . . of lying down and not doing anything. No hobbling around on it, nothing like that. You can’t move. Nothing.’ So he shouldn’t try to lift his upper body.

“Any doctor will tell you there’s nothing that could’ve prevented the injury. So take time; take your three months and chill out. It’s going to be miserable. It’s going to be the worst thing ever to watch other people play while you sit on the sidelines with a boot on or while you’re on crutches. But take those three months and get your mind focused on the rehab ahead and attack it like an S.O.B.”

Suggs also talked about the importance of a solid support group, mentioning the number of coaches and folks at home who kept him motivated through the brutal rehabilitation. So while it can be done, it won’t be easy, and managing expectations for Crabtree will be as important as managing the pain.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Suggs tells Crabtree to take his time with Achilles”
  1. jamaltimore says: May 30, 2013 10:48 AM

T-Sizzle will be back and full strength this season ready to put on the General’s hat and continue the legacy of a dominant Ravens Defense!

Combine that with the Superbowl MVP throwing bombs all year long under the steady leadership of Jim Caldwell and only one word comes to mind: REPEAT!!!

2. pathsovglory says: May 30, 2013 10:54 AM

This Seahawk fan hopes he can recover 100%

Hate to see a guy with that kind of talent go down.

3. baltimoresnativeson says: May 30, 2013 10:55 AM

Great advice. Crabtree should listen. Maybe he can have a speedy recovery and help lead his team to a Superbowl also.

4. skeebo80 says: May 30, 2013 10:56 AM

3 months of doing nothing SUCKS

5. kd75 says: May 30, 2013 10:58 AM

Suggs sounds like a really smart guy about this injury.

6. pwillisbeast says: May 30, 2013 11:00 AM

C’mon Suggs give him some of your Vitamin S so he can get back on the field quicker

7. ridingwithnohandlebars says: May 30, 2013 11:01 AM

I believe Suggs’ injury was “only” a partial tear, while Crabtree’s is a complete tear.

8. hedleykow says: May 30, 2013 11:01 AM

Suggs is kidding, right? Crabtree is already timing himself in the 40 to gauge how his recover is coming along.

9. jbniner says: May 30, 2013 11:02 AM

Excellent advice. Speaking from experience, the hardest part of any rehab is, without question, the dead time immediately after surgery. All you want to do is get up, move and feel normal but you can’t. Not if you want the proper recovery anyway. It’s a mental grind that will feel more like 3 years than 3 months.

10. steelcityfinest13 says: May 30, 2013 11:02 AM

All that $$ suggz got he should of fixed his mouth…horse teeth..lmao

11. cali49er707 says: May 30, 2013 11:17 AM

I was a huge Crabtree fan when he was at Texas Tech & was juiced when the 9ers picked him. To lose Crab for the entire season would be a horrible blow to any 9er Superbowl chances. I just hope he can get healthy & get back by the playoffs. He seemed like he was just starting to become a legitimate threat with Kaepernick as QB. Get well soon Crab

9ER Faithful

12. iamapatsfan says: May 30, 2013 11:23 AM

Excellent advice from a guy that manages to put on his stupid face pretty much every time someone takes a picture of him, heh. I half wonder if he does it on purpose.

I can’t imagine what 3 months of laying around doing nothing would feel like to a highly tuned athlete that lives to work out and play hard.

13. shadowcell says: May 30, 2013 11:34 AM

Great advice. I just aggravated my Achilles last summer, and even Achilles tendonitis was blindingly painful, and it’s taken me this long to get back to where I was before the tendon acted up. And I wasn’t trying to get back to “high caliber NFL wide receiver” status either.

14. raidafan7 says: May 30, 2013 11:37 AM

There are different types of achilles injuries, a lot of it depends on what part of the achilles is torn. I partially tore my lower achilles where it inserts into the calcanea. It makes it more difficult to reattach. I know I’m not a pro athlete but after 9 years it still bothers me. I was amazed Suggs returned so fast. For a receiver who has to cut and change speed so often, I doubt he will be a factor this year.

15. 49erstim says: May 30, 2013 11:41 AM

@pathsovglory….. Well stated, Sir. I’m the same way. I’d rather see these guys stay healthy and compete at a high level every week. The games are more fun that way.

16. ravendog92 says: May 30, 2013 11:48 AM

Shouldn’t Webb be the raven giving the advice? After rehabbing 2 different tears, also playing basically the same position. Same moves, same cuts. Just seems logical.

17. showmethemtds says: May 30, 2013 12:07 PM

So all he has to do is re-enact his rookie holdout. Check

18. pleasantsurpriselefty says: May 30, 2013 12:49 PM

Jeez, it almost sounds like mr Suggs has given a measured, mature response to something instead of a mad craven diatribe. Will wonders never cease!

19. getyourownname says: May 30, 2013 1:02 PM

steelcityfinest13 says:
    May 30, 2013 11:02 AM
    All that $$ suggz got he should of fixed his mouth…horse teeth..lmao

*****************
    At least he could get dental work done if he wanted.

Sadly, there is still no procedure to fix ignorance and stupidity.

20. Joemontanaflacco says: May 30, 2013 1:14 PM

steelcityfinest13 says:
    May 30, 2013 11:02 AM
    All that $$ suggz got he should of fixed his mouth…horse teeth..lmao

Classy comment, Steeler fan. You really added something to the conversation. Unfortunately, you probably ARE the finest they have in Steel City. Sad.

21. lovefootball4life says: May 30, 2013 1:21 PM

What no one has commented on yet is that Suggs injured his very early in the year. Crabtree injured in May. I think by this time Suggs was already, or nearly done with his 3 month wait. But I hope Crab gets back to his former self. He was finally emerging.

22. Mr. Wright 212 says: May 30, 2013 1:52 PM

Suggs sounds about right here. He looked like he was pushing 3 bills when he came back, and he didn’t look close to his normal self until the playoffs.

However unfortunate, Crabtree just needs to chill and hope that SF can make it to the playoffs, where he can join them and probably provide a boost.

23. jtbsteeler says: May 30, 2013 1:55 PM

All that $$ suggz got he should of fixed his mouth…horse teeth..lmao

**************************************
    There’s no fixing that, we can all agree.
    Leave him be…

24. seaeagle707 says: May 30, 2013 3:18 PM

Take your time Mike, no worries. 1-year, 2-years, no big deal. Your job is safe. Harbaugh said so. So kick back, sip some wine, pop an “Addy”, and enjoy life.

25. Mr. Wright 212 says: May 30, 2013 3:38 PM

Suggs injured his Achilles around the same time that Crabtree did. That’s for the person who says that Suggs injured his “early in the season.”

26. Nofoolnodrool says: May 30, 2013 3:51 PM

Hardly a classy comment about Suggs who was born with that face. He didn’t ask for it but he has it. That being said the person complaining about the comment is always doing similar things…as in never adding to the conversation. The complaint is valid the source of the complaint is a hypocrite at best.
    Just leave Suggs alone he was giving good advice his looks are not important.

27. scoobies05 says: May 30, 2013 4:24 PM

good insight as always jb

28. mazblast says: May 30, 2013 4:38 PM

pathsovglory–Classy response. A real fan knows that what we should be seeing in great rivalries is “our” best vs. “their” best, with the better team winning.

I don’t want to destroy the opponents’ reserves–I want to destroy their top guys!

29. Joemontanaflacco says: May 30, 2013 5:11 PM

“the person complaining about the comment is always doing similar things…as in never adding to the conversation. The complaint is valid the source of the complaint is a hypocrite at best.”

Awww, nofool. You’re following me to a story about a Raven and and a 49er. I didn’t know you cared.

30. Nofoolnodrool says: May 30, 2013 5:51 PM

Not following you at all. If you read my post which you did and choose to ignore you would know that already. You should probably read all the posts before commenting not just the ones you write. Manners is not your strong suit nor common sense, but we knew that.

31. seahonky says: May 31, 2013 12:01 AM

Without Crabtree, it’s gonna be another easy Seahawk victory.