Wagner describes recent team meeting as calm, rivalry with 49ers not

350x AP

The best two teams in the NFC West also could be the best two teams in the NFL.  And it’ll be fun to see the 49ers and Seahawks resolve both questions on the field this year.

But what once was an arms race could become a war of attrition, amid injuries and (for the Seahawks) a rash of suspensions.

Seattle linebacker Bobby Wagner joined Pro Football Talk on NBCSN to discuss the team’s effort to put an end to an outbreak of four-game suspensions that stretched to five since 2011, with the recent suspension of defensive end Bruce Irvin.  Specifically, and as safety Kam Chancellor explained earlier this week, the team’s veterans called a meeting.

“The meeting lasted for a little bit of time but I think it was just a meeting just to go over and let everybody know we have a great opportunity in front of us you know, and not to let anything distracts us anything to kick us off course from that great opportunity,” Wagner told Erik Kuselias.  “Just one of those meetings that just kind of get everybody together to get back on focus and focus on what we need to do which is win.”

The meeting involved no yelling or screaming or throwing of chairs.

“[D]efinitely a calm meeting,” Wagner said.  “I mean, everybody knew what it was, everybody makes mistakes but it’s in the past but we’re moving on from it and we’re just going to continue to make the best of this opportunity.”

If the meeting was calm, the rivalry with the 49ers isn’t.  Wagner explained that, during last year’s Sunday night game against San Francisco, it was so loud at CenturyLink Field that he couldn’t hear NBC’s Michele Tafoya, even though she was standing right next to him.  And Wagner knows when the 49ers and Seahawks get together in 2013, starting early in the year with another date on Sunday Night Football.

“Yeah, definitely because they’re one of the top dogs in the league so you know, if we want to be a top dog we got to take down the top dog,” Wagner said.  “So, we definitely look forward to playing them.”

We look forward to watching them play.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks
39 Responses to “Wagner describes recent team meeting as calm, rivalry with 49ers not”
  1. seahawksteven777 says: May 30, 2013 10:32 PM

Go Hawks!

2. billb49 says: May 30, 2013 10:42 PM

This could be a great rivalry for years to come. The Seahawks are a very good team and so are the Niners. As a Niner fan, I’ve heard enough “42-13!” to last a lifetime and I know there is only one way to make that go away – go up to CLink the second week of the season and beat the Seahawks. Both teams will be at full strength. The weather will be as nice as it can be in Seattle. It’s a great opportunity for the Niners to make a statement.

3. trodriguez89 says: May 30, 2013 10:49 PM

Good luck this year. May the best team win

Signed a 49er fan

4. spiderperv says: May 30, 2013 10:51 PM

Must have been passing out xanax in Pez dispensers for the meeting.

5. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: May 30, 2013 11:13 PM

What cracks me up about the Seahawks fans is they hang their hat on last years Sunday night game against the Niners. The Niners were GUTTED from a brutal, cross country freezing night win just 6 days before against the Pats. They had nothing left in the tank for Seattle. They were spent. They were simply treading water without their defensive MVP in the lineup.

That’s all it was Seahawks sniffers! A mirage. You’ll get the real Niners week 2 on SNF. Crank up that piped in crowd noise. Y’all gonna need it!

6. rbrtmath says: May 30, 2013 11:18 PM

billyb49…… first the niners have to beat the Packers again. If they beat the Pack and then the Hawks…….thats a huge statement! But dont count on it.

7. jasndc75 says: May 30, 2013 11:21 PM

seahawks are very tough at home, on the road they are meh.

2-5 in the regular season, 1-1 postseason on the road.

Win some games on the road without the help of PEDs and I’ll believe.

8. phelbin says: May 30, 2013 11:25 PM

The Seahawks have beaten the Niners once in the last two years. I’m just saying…

9. pacificnw7722 says: May 30, 2013 11:26 PM

Seahawk season ticket holder here, it was very LOUD at that game. All of the fans I’ve talked to want it even LOUDER this year!! 12th Man will be LOUD and PROUD @ the Clink this season.

10. jayniner says: May 30, 2013 11:29 PM

So, who’s got more Super Bowl wins again?

You remember that kids……

11. bigbaldpapahawk says: May 30, 2013 11:45 PM

What makes this rivalry one of the best is that they are both top-shelf teams. When they get together it is gonna be a brawl.

Go Hawks!

12. beauregard says: May 30, 2013 11:48 PM

Hawks and 9er’s are maybe both top five teams in the NFL. A whole lotta hype going on here.

13. kuranda84 says: May 31, 2013 12:31 AM

Oooo baby. Can’t wait for some clash of the titan – style throw down with the niners. Going to be a fun year. Bring it baby!

14. trollhammer20 says: May 31, 2013 12:36 AM

“Calm like a bomb”

– Rage Against The Machine

15. ninerfan81 says: May 31, 2013 12:41 AM

This rivalry is intense now, it has all the makings of producing classic match ups. Looking forward to this competition for the West, this team is just as physical as we are, and just as talented- its going to come down to heart, composure, and ball protection. With that said, I just hope we’re classy in victory and defeat, the only thing that would disappoint me is if we lose our composure or buy into the negativity that can surround a rivalry.

16. hawkman4life says: May 31, 2013 12:44 AM

The games between these two teams are must see games! I think the two most balanced teams on both sides of the ball in the NFL. Its unfortunate about crabtree as a full strength game would be better and no we woulda won if so and so was healthy. Lets hope its a full strength battle. Its games like these I love the game of football. Rearview mirror…rams. But like the mirror says..objects closer than they appear. Sorry Arizona, I think you are two years out still to worry about.

17. hess97 says: May 31, 2013 12:56 AM

I look forward to Mario Manningham making a block on (through) every ligament in Leroy’s Hill knee….because payback’s a b—-, Seahocks #dirtiestteaminthenfl

18. allidoiswin55 says: May 31, 2013 1:05 AM

Let’s clear the air on this.

3 of the 6 suspensions were basically bogus. SEATTLE does not have a rash of the suspensions in thier history and even the bloggers are continuing to misinform people. So that won’t affect them this year especially with the attention they have unfairly been given over it.

BABRE tested positive BEFORE joining the Seahawks and he was a PRACTICE squad player.

TUA tested positive while ON THE PRACTICE squad and was constantly waived and picked up and never played an single down EVER…

MOFFIT tested positive for Adderall, but had an doctors prescription that didn’t get Filed to the league. Again HAS A PERSCRIPTION..

ALSO the Redskins have MOOOOOOORE PLAYERS SUSPENSDED through this exact same time frame… For the same reasons however they ARE NEVER MENTIONED….

ITS NOT an epidemic like many are claiming. It’s short sighted and weak to continue to point out suspensions every article when it doesn’t pertain to it.

Again 3 of those six suspensions were basically bogus. If the Niners aren’t claiming the recent suspended Ped guy as their own why are the Hawks required to claim in similar cases.

Sorry this team either Beat up yours, took your favorite players for less than ur tam offered, or scares the hell out of you. All the hate will make it that much worse when you get smashed and blame some Ped issue that was never really an issue to begin with.

Also sorry Reggie bushes family got houses and cars and money, was it right that all the players received ncaa sanctions ?? Nooo, they didn’t accept or do anything…. So why is Pete responsible?? because he didn’t offer it.. Hes guilty by association but he owes no one any amount of his years of coaching because some players were cheating…

It was boosters cheating.. Agents cheating.. Coaches just were coaching.. That argument is weak..

Hate what’s coming.. We hate to loose more than you love to win. Get use to it..

Go Hawks

19. pop562 says: May 31, 2013 1:14 AM

Good luck to both teams and all the teams in the NFC West. Hope everyone stays healthy and stay out of trouble. Here’s to a good divisional rivalry but as a 49ers fan I still dislike the Cowboys.

20. seahonky says: May 31, 2013 1:31 AM

Without Crabtree, it’s gonna be another easy Seahawk victory. Even without Adderall.

21. bamayer1117 says: May 31, 2013 1:57 AM

billb49, 42-13!

22. brendank11 says: May 31, 2013 2:32 AM

Excited for these two games this year. As a Hawks fan, I was disappointed the Seattle game was scheduled so early in the season. CLink seems to get more intimidating and difficult for opponents later in the year when weather worsens. Good example would be the ugly, rainy 49er game last year. Either way, can’t wait! May the best team win. Go Hawks!

23. j4man1 says: May 31, 2013 2:43 AM

Why don’t we wait until the end of this season before calling either of these teams the best. I guarantee that one of them won’t be there.

24. baymac408 says: May 31, 2013 3:21 AM

Yeah you would talk about us that’s what people below do when your on TOP of the NFC.. we are worried about winning a Super Bowl you guys are focused on tryna beat us lol GO NINERS

25. wilsonwillbreaku says: May 31, 2013 4:32 AM

Niners will reminisce for that 42-13 beating come week 2…can’t wait to see Seattle take them out to the woodshed again…lol

Go Hawks!

26. spideysdog says: May 31, 2013 6:13 AM

spiderperv,

that’s original. a prescription drug reference? wow. I’m bent over laughing.
    ho-hum.

it is gonna be fun. I had this discussion with a buddy, who happens to be a FortyWhiner fan. I love my Hawks. I love the additions of Harvin, Avril, Bennett and Winfield. I feel like we improved an 11-5 squad.

All that being said, it’s funny…. we both agreed that a Super Bowl was well within reach, yet we both agreed we weren’t sure we were the best team in our own division.

I think you pegged it right on the head. this very well could down to a war of attrition. Crabtree is obviously not going to be there week two, but the Hawks have multiple players who are one piss away from EIGHT game suspensions.

Good luck Niner fans. At the least, I think it’s great to see the NFCW go from a division that had my Hawks taking a division title with a 7-9 record a few years back, to possibly having the two best teams in the NFL.

27. zevo49 says: May 31, 2013 8:21 AM

THIS IS WHERE THEY NEED TO CHANGE THE PLAYOFF SYSTEM AND PUT THE TOP TWO TEAMS IN DIFFERENT BRACKETS LIKE THE NCAA SO THE TOP 2 TEAMS MEET IN THE BIG GAME. THIS WAY WE DON’T SEE THE SAME THING AS WE DID BACK IN THE OL’E 49ER COWBOY DAYS WHEN THE WINNER OF THAT NATIONAL CONFERENCE GAME BETWEEN THE BOYS AND NINER’S WON THE SUPERBOWL. THIS NEW ALIGNMENT SYSTEM WOULD ENSURE THE BEST 2 TEAMS WILL MEET IN THE BIG GAME AND THE RATINGS WOULD GO OUT THE ROOF. ITS NOT LIKE EVERY YEAR THE NATIONAL TEAMS PLAY NATIONAL TEAMS AND AMERICAN CONFERENCE TEAMS PLAY ONLY AMERICAN CONF. TEAMS SO THERE IS NO THRILL IN THE SUPERBOWL THAT DETERMINES WHICH CONFERENCE IS THE BETTER CONFERENCE THAT YEAR. CUT AND DRY NO QUESTIONS ASKED. AND ALSO I’M TIRED OF ALL THE LITTLE NICK PICKY RULES LIKE SOCKS HAVE TO BE A CERTAIN HEIGHT AND SHOES HAVE TO BE SPOTLESS WITH NO WRITING. LEAVE THE PLAYERS ALONE COMMISS, THESE GUYS PLAY THEIR HEARTS OUT AND GET INJURED AND PLAY INJURED SO THEY CAN GIVE THE FANS A GOOD SHOWING EVERY WEEKEND “SOMETIMES”, JUST LEAVE THEM ALONE AND LET THEM DANCE AFTER TOUCHDOWNS PLEASE AND HAVE FUN.

28. 49erstim says: May 31, 2013 8:55 AM

Respect for your opponent. That’s a good thing to see in the modern-day NFL. I can’t wait for this season to get underway. 3 months! C’mon NFL! Hurry it up already! Lol

29. aiiyiiyiii says: May 31, 2013 11:55 AM

Plenty of respect for a good Seattle team, but I’d have more if Seattle fans didn’t feel they need the loudest stadium in the league to win. But yeah, they do.

30. peoplesrepublic0fdabayarea says: May 31, 2013 12:59 PM

*yawn*

this wagner fool like the rest of his sham team is juiced up on roids and adderall….suspend or better yet contract that irrelevant “franchise” bring back a team to LA

signed,

Northern California

31. larrydavid7000 says: May 31, 2013 2:38 PM

I don’t understand why the seagull fans think they have won anything. Last I checked they have AN EMPTY TROPHY CASE. At least my team has 3 Super Bowl titles. you seagull fans need to at least win something like a division title for starters. Until then SHUT UP ABOUT NOTHING.!!!!!!!

32. slugbaitspace says: May 31, 2013 2:54 PM

hess97 says:
    May 31, 2013 12:56 AM
    —————————-
    Um…I don’t want to disappoint you or anything, but, um…Leroy Hill isn’t on the ‘hawks roster.

33. ghoshuvo says: May 31, 2013 3:08 PM

@larrydavid7000

You say “at least win something like a division title for starters.”

Let’s go back over the past decade, “for starters,” OK?

2003: Rams (division title), Seahawks (wild-card)
    2004: Seahawks (div title), Rams (wild-card)
    2005: Seahawks (div title, NFC champ, lost SB)
    2006: Seahawks (division title)
    2007: Seahawks (division title)
    2008: Cardinals (division title)
    2009: Cardinals (division title)
    2010: Seahawks (division title)
    2011: 49ers (division title)
    2012: 49ers (division title, NFC champ, lost SB), Seahawks (wild-card)

So in 10 years how many times did the Seahawks make the playoffs? 7

How many times did the 49ers make the playoffs over those same 10 years? 2

How many Super Bowls have either won? 0

So let’s see what happens next year. Remember, within the past 5 years, the Cardinals have the same number of division titles and Super Bowl appearances as the 49ers, and they don’t look so hot these days, right?

The argument over who is better in 2013 will be decided on the field, in 2013. All our talk is just talk. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, or forget the facts.

34. larrydavid7000 says: May 31, 2013 3:33 PM

@ghoshuvo yes you are 100% right your seagulls have not won anything once again.Like I stated where are your Lombardi Trophy?????? WHERE ARE THEY.!!!!!!!! Until the your seagulls are Losers. No one but outside your fan base knows how many division you won or cares. PATHETIC LOSERS.!!!!!

35. ghoshuvo says: May 31, 2013 4:14 PM

Wow — you asked about winning a division title for starters. I just responded to that comment.

Now you are changing your comment to say “where are your Lombardi Trophies?” You obviously don’t even know how to check facts. Your 49ers won FIVE Superbowls, not 3, loser. So yes, great — everyone in the world should bow down to the 49ers. Great. I suppose the Ravens should too, because they only have 2. And I guess the 49ers should shut it because the Steelers have six? Whatever. Root for your team and stop thinking about other teams. Just shows your own paranoia. Let the season play out and when someone like the Broncos or whoever ends up winning next year, we’ll just have to wait for 2014.

The Seahawks are pathetic losers? No. They play in the NFL and have made the playoffs and every single one of them could take you out. Every NFL player has respect for every other NFL player. That includes players on the Browns, the Raiders, etc. Non-playoff teams aren’t bad — they just aren’t as good as the others. They still could mop a parking lot with our faces. It’s the freaking NFL. Do you know how hard it is to make a team? Or do you just play Madden 2012 all day and pretend like you’re a real athlete?

It’s fans who think they are part of the team that look like fools. You think Colin Kaepernick is looking to hang out with you? Nope, he has a hell of a lot better things to do than that. The loser is YOU. And if the 49ers making the playoffs (or not making the playoffs) is the only thing defining your success in life, then good luck with that. They will be good at some point, they will suck at some point — who cares. It’s football, man. Learn to spell and learn some grammar. Will make your real life easier.

Peace.

36. beefer49 says: May 31, 2013 5:58 PM

West Coast Hate?

I can’t believe all the vitriol spewed on both sides of this battle. I live in Van BC and travel to Seattle to watch many games. I am a Seahawks fan for many years due to proximity to Seattle and a SF fan because I grew up watching Montana.

Honestly with this new hate.. I can’t decide which side is most embarrassing sometimes. I have worn my SF shirt in Seattle and have the usual good ribbings but for the most part in good spirit.

The last time I went was the 42-13 non game. I was threatened and spat at. I was with my 5 year old daughter. I am 300lbs and 6`3 so I can take care of most people and choose the high road
    and did nothing because of her and what I represent which is a fan of the game and father

Like this webpage and in real life some goof spouts off and is an embarrassment to the true fan. It is 1% doing this

Believe me in Van I know the mantra of a few bad apples

Is Seattle good yes. Is SF good yes. They split the series last year. For the most part Seattle has had a run 2004-2007 and for the most part SF is currently on a run.

Enjoy the rivalry and spirit of the game but name calling and which team is better over years and how many bowls and how many cups blah, blah blah

The only score that matters is the last one, There is one winner and one loser. A true champ is measured how does in both.

37. thedanceface says: Jun 1, 2013 2:42 AM

Wagner was not next to Michelle Tafoya at the game. He says in the video that he watched the tape of the game during which Tafoya stands three feet from the microphone while talking and the audience couldn’t hear her because of the crowd noise. I was watching the game and remember the segment.

38. wycon76 says: Jun 2, 2013 4:34 PM

Why can’t I reply to a post at the top or anywhere else instead of having to write my own post all the way at the bottom? Dumb. Anyways, billb49 up at the top wrote, “As a Niner fan, I’ve heard enough “42-13!” to last a lifetime and I know there is only one way to make that go away – go up to CLink the second week of the season and beat the Seahawks.” I just wanted to say as a Seahawks fan I’ve heard enough of that sh*t too. It was pretty awesome and we did put quite a whoopin on y’all, but its played out. Of course so is “5 superbowls” and, “game winning interception” and all the other BS. I don’t know, I like respectful comments like yours “Seattle’s a great team..” or whatever and real open eyed stuff like Keapernick is scary fast and pretty good throwing the ball too and the 9ers are an awesome team, one that I respect greatly. I’d rather have Wilson just because of who he is as a man and the underdog, ballin’ a$$ player he is but I couldn’t honestly say one is better than the other. I love my Seahawks and the rivalry is pretty dope too. Can’t wait for August and preseason. NFC West Pride Baby! Go Hawks!!!

39. wycon76 says: Jun 2, 2013 4:50 PM

Yo, beefer49. Yeah man, it’s ridiculous. I’m with you dude. I’m happy to give and receive a little trash talk, but people are idiots when it becomes anything more than that. I too was a huge 9er fan as a kid when Montana was at the helm, but the Seahawks are and always have been my team. When they aren’t doing so well I usually have another team that I like as I did back then (Montana was AWESOME!!!) but always love my team. Which is why it feels so good now to have always stood by and represented my Hawks when they were shotty and they’re making up for it now. Pretty sweet. Yeah, each side has A-holes and I’m sorry that someone in my city was spitting at you when you were there with your kid (F’d up!). I got respect for the 9ers and their reasonable fans. I wish we’d take more pride in each other and our conference rather than acting stupid like that. NFC West on top! Go Seahawks!!!