Jacoby Jones hoping to break the “Dancing” curse

JACOBY JONES, KARINA SMIRNOFF AP

Jacoby Jones is looking forward to touchdown dances, not the other kind, and hopes that there’s not a Dancing With the Stars curse

The Ravens wideout is back at OTAs after finishing third on the reality dancing show, saying it’s no replacement for football work.

“My conditioning is good and I’m not sore,” Jones said, via the team’s official website. “I’ve just got to get my legs back under me, football-wise. It’s not like dancing. I still don’t feel like me. In a week, I’ll feel like me.”

He’s the fifth active player to compete on the show, and others have fallen off afterward.

But Jones thinks he’ll survive what Jason Taylor, Chad Johnson, Hines Ward and Donald Driver didn’t, since he’s the only one under 30 at the time of the taping.

“I’m on the younger side,” Jones said. “I’ll be fine. . . . As long as I get my legs back under me and cutting and stuff, I’ll be good.”

With Anquan Boldin gone, the burden will be on Jones to cut more than a rug this year, and if he responds, he’ll become even more of a star at his day job.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Jacoby Jones hoping to break the “Dancing” curse”
  1. geemoney713 says: May 31, 2013 10:10 AM

He’s not a #2 WR. That offense will struggle this year; just like their defense.

2. crownofthehelmet says: May 31, 2013 10:17 AM

“He missed the offseason conditioning work, and a week of OTAs while on the television show.”

Just the kind of focus you want to see from a young player.

3. elliottcovert says: May 31, 2013 10:26 AM

If it was up to me, Jacoby would have been Superbowl MVP this year. Flacco played a great game, but if Jacoby couldn’t win after a dazzling game like that, we might as well offically change the name of the award from “Superbowl MVP” to “Starting Quarterback for the Winning Team”

4. blitzinc43 says: May 31, 2013 10:27 AM

Jacoby “small hands” Jones is still my favourite NFL nickname

5. 8to80texansblog says: May 31, 2013 11:22 AM

I agree with elliotcovert and geemoney.

He should have been the SB MVP but he’s not good enough to be a #2.

I don’t agree that their D will struggle. Lots of new faces but I think their D may actually be better than last year. (Remember their D was pretty mediocre last year until the playoffs)

6. buddybowl69 says: May 31, 2013 11:57 AM

I hope he breaks a leg on that show. The NFL Network overdoses on his coverage that they should change their name to ‘The Dancing With Dragonfly Network’. Makes me sick; it’s a damn football station, not dancing & prancing station.

7. baltimoresnativeson says: May 31, 2013 12:13 PM

Nah, Jacoby shouldn’t have been the superbowl MVP.
    Flacco already threw 2 touchdowns and the ravens were already up several touchdowns before Jacoby even scored once. Joe deserved it more.

8. texansdude says: May 31, 2013 12:37 PM

Oh, he’s gonna “fall off” next year. Ravens fans, I respect the way your team put tit together last year, but he is a time bomb. When he goes off, I hope his true mediocrity doesn’t damage anyone else on the team.

9. 8to80texansblog says: May 31, 2013 12:55 PM

@baltimoresnativeson

12 one half a dozen the other.

I just feel had Jones not scored that TD on the 2nd half opening kickoff… Niner’s win that game…

Niner’s obviously adjusted in the 2nd half and Flacco wasn’t near as effective as he was the first.

10. ampatsisahypocrite says: Jun 1, 2013 1:46 AM

elliottcovert says:
    May 31, 2013 10:26 AM
    ————————————————-

Bingo! If not for Jones, Flacco goes down as the QB who presided over the BIGGEST COLLAPSE in Super Bowl history. Lost in all the Flacco love is the fact that Flacco completely DISAPPEARED in the second half of the Super Bowl. How on God’s green earth does a guy who fades in the MORE IMPORTANT HALF of a game get to be voted “MVP”?

11. Joemontanaflacco says: Jun 1, 2013 9:38 AM

ampatsisahypocrite
    You make an excellent point. In the second half, the unbelievably desperate 49ers scored 3 TDs and a FG. – 23 points. Joe Flacco drove the team only to score 2 FGs – 6 points. Of course the Ravens were winning by 22 points when this all began. So 22+6 is still more than 23 and where I come from, the team with the most points win. Of course, Joe Flacco could have tried to pad his stats, which is the all important thing for loser teams like the 8-8 Steelers, but he was trying not to lose a game that he was soundly winning. The second half was much more about defense, the Ravens played it safe and got burned until the very end. I’m sure that, had SF scored on that last drive, we would be cheering Flacco as the comeback kid who drove the team down the field in the final seconds to score a 4th TD just like Denver.

12. ampatsisahypocrite says: Jun 1, 2013 2:17 PM

Joemontanaflacco — you too make an excellent point. Namely, that some Ravens fans will go to any lengths to make excuses for their mediocre, rabbit’s foot luck QB. No doubt in your mind Flacco’s one-yard dump-off in San Diego was a cleverly designed play, meant to make the entire Chargers defense fall down LAUGHING, and thus allow Rice to run free for the 29 yards needed to convert.

The final score of the Bowl was 34-31. Last I checked, taking away Jones’s TD would make that San Fran 31, Baltimore 24. Got it? Good.

The idea that Baltimore “went conservative” as a way to let Flacco off the hook for his second-half fade is hilarious. Considering the rate at which the 49ers were scoring in the second half, WHY on earth would a team aim only for field position, not points? The opponent was making the game too close for the “just don’t lose it” strategy. Again, you Ravens fans and your excuses crack me up. Same with your ASSUMPTION that Flacco leads a winning drive against a Niner defense much better than the one in Denver. And using Flacco’s fluke Hail Mary in Denver as some precursor proof of future success? Also hilarious!

13. ampatsisahypocrite says: Jun 1, 2013 2:19 PM

P..S. Correction — that would make it 27 points for Balt. Apologies for the typo. But you get the point I am sure. Thanks.

14. Joemontanaflacco says: Jun 1, 2013 7:37 PM

ampatsisahypocrite,
    No one is making excuses because there is nothing to excuse. The Ravens WON the Superbowl. Apparently, your team didn’t. That’s your problem. And didn’t they tell you in grade school that calling the winning team “lucky” was a sign of poor sportsmanship?