Joe Haden trying to make amends in new defense

Joe Haden AP

Joe Haden still played well, when he played.

But the Browns cornerback knows last year’s suspension changed the perception of him as a player, and he knows he has to work to change it back.

“I feel with what I’ve been through — what I wanted to do last year and I had a setback — this year’s going to be my year,” Haden said, via Tony Grossi of ESPNCleveland.com. I just want to bring the team with me.”

The Browns lost all four games when Haden was missing, allowing 10 touchdown passes in his absence. Coupled with the $1.3 million in salary he lost, and not being eligible for any postseason honors, the hit was significant.

“I’ve been through a lot, been through the struggles,” Haden said. “So, I know how it feels to be at the bottom, and just have people against you and just being hated on. This year, starting off fresh, I’m just trying to show just a new Joe. This is going to be my fourth year. Me and T.J. [Ward] are trying to take over the whole DB room and just the whole defense, with D’Qwell [Jackson], just being a leader by example.”

Haden’s pure coverage ability sets him up well for new coordinator Ray Horton’s defense, which is based on getting pressure up front. That puts a burden on him to held up in the back, and Haden said his new boss thinks big things are in store.

“He [Horton] just wants me to be elite and says there’s no reason I shouldn’t be recognized,” Haden said.

Haden hopes that this year, the recognition will come on the field, and not for the mistakes made off it.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Joe Haden trying to make amends in new defense”
  1. joemammy says: May 31, 2013 9:01 AM

Can’t wait for Flacco, Fat Ben and Dalton to challenge Haden on his side of the field. Make ‘em pay, Joe.

Make ‘em pay…

2. abninf says: May 31, 2013 9:22 AM

“So, I know how it feels to be at the bottom, and just have people against you and just being hated on. ”
    ====================================

Quit feeling sorry for yourself. Your actions, and then lies (Adderall, right) are the cause of your problems.

3. godofwine330 says: May 31, 2013 9:23 AM

I can’t wait to see my Browns this year. I know that everybody is undefeated in May & June, and everybodythinks they can go all they way at that time, too. I see a different team this year, though. An offensive team, and a defensive force. I look forward to seeing my team progress this year, and feel that progression is coming moreso than any year I have watched for a while.

4. bigzant82 says: May 31, 2013 9:53 AM

wish dey drafted another legit corner for you instead wasting or trading the picks

5. oldskoolson1 says: May 31, 2013 10:05 AM

Welcome to Haden Island

6. barkerd85 says: May 31, 2013 10:13 AM

Aj Green keeps it from being your year!

7. sneaux49 says: May 31, 2013 10:14 AM

We who follow the Browns closely are hearing a lot of positives coming out of the OTAs. Music to our ears, now the proverbial ‘but’.

8. brownsfanincali says: May 31, 2013 5:35 PM

We’ve got the coaching staff we’ve needed at last and enough talent to make some noise this year, and a new, positive vibe this year… This team is going to surprise some people this year, and will be in contention by next year. The factory of sadness is on its way to being the factory of gladness.