Jordan Reed won’t practice with Redskins until training camp

Jordan Reed AP

With Fred Davis still recovering from last year’s Achilles injury, there’s a chance for a tight end to catch the eyes of Redskins coaches during OTAs and minicamp.

That tight end isn’t going to be third-round pick Jordan Reed. Reed has only done individual work during the offseason program because of a leg injury and doesn’t expect to be cleared to return to work for another three weeks. That means he’ll be on the sideline until the team heads to training camp this summer, at which point Davis is also expected to be given the green light to get back on the field.

Reed suffered a thigh injury during his final collegiate season that caused problems in his quad and knee. He said his rehab has gone well thus far.

“It’s going good,” Reed said, via Tarik El-Bashir of CSNWashington.com. “I’m getting stronger, getting my muscle back. That’s all I really need to do: get my muscle back and I’ll be all set.”

If Davis is healthy, Reed probably wouldn’t have wound up seeing a ton of time as a rookie without forcing his way into the lineup this offseason. That’s still possible during camp, but it will be harder without the head start he would have gotten this spring.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
16 Responses to “Jordan Reed won’t practice with Redskins until training camp”
  1. firesnyder says: May 31, 2013 3:12 PM

That’s ok. We don’t need Reed this season. We need him for next because Fred will make a bad decision to move on from the Redskins.

2. skinsallday says: May 31, 2013 3:15 PM

The title is very misleading. It sounded like Reed was voluntarily missing OTAs bc of a bad attitude or since of entitlement. I know back in Florida his attitude wasn’t the best so I’m glad to be hearing otherwise. He’s going to be a hell of a weapon for RG3! HTTR

3. ravanator says: May 31, 2013 3:30 PM

Why do the Washington R-Word seem to love players with one bad leg? Bobby Griffin and his peg leg will be a bust, and Reed will be a never was. Washington will always be looking up to their big brothers in Baltimore! Hey R-Word fans, when was your last playoff win? Thats right, none of you fair weather fans were born when that happened last!

4. tombradyswig says: May 31, 2013 3:43 PM

wasted draft pick!! Good one Shannarat!
    Fail to the redtails

5. skinsfan91 says: May 31, 2013 3:49 PM

He’ll be ready to go for camp, that’s all that matters.

6. rskills says: May 31, 2013 4:14 PM

Hey “ravanator,”
    The ‘Skins last won a playoff game in 2006, a little over 7 years ago. While that’s not very impressive, I never realized how many fair-weathered toddler fans we have out there! Why don’t you settle down and go enjoy a happy-hour somewhere!

7. kjp0810 says: May 31, 2013 4:20 PM

I’m surprised it has bothered him this long. He went through the entire combine and his pro day with it. Conventional wisdom say he probably would perform even better once he is healed. He will probably need time to develop so he can be eased in with Davis/Paulson/Paul combo taking the pressure off initially.

8. seahawkshurtpeople says: May 31, 2013 4:26 PM

The Washington “Expletives” are poisoned with bad karma and will continue to be until Snyder steps down.

9. mattyk72 says: May 31, 2013 4:30 PM

I doubt Reed is going to play much at the traditional TE spot anyway. I think they’ll split him out wide with him and Davis on the field together.

10. skinsfansince81 says: May 31, 2013 6:05 PM

Leave to a Ravens fan and a Seahawks fan to post hate messages on some simple article like this… If you hate us so much why are u even commenting?? Haters always gonna hate…

11. officialgame says: May 31, 2013 6:36 PM

No problem once the season begins Shannahan will put you out there if both your legs are broken.

12. boyshole25 says: May 31, 2013 7:48 PM

Haha people hating on a player they’ve never heard of. My skins must be on the up!

13. thirdistheworrd says: May 31, 2013 9:18 PM

Every time I worry about how successful the Redskins will be this season, I come to PFT to see people bash the team because a rookie backup role player is missing three weeks of OTA’s. I don’t think DC will be extremely competitive this year, but based on the reactions above you’d think the Redskins already had a Super Bowl berth.

14. skinsfansince71 says: Jun 1, 2013 8:20 AM

ravanator says: May 31, 2013 3:30 PM

Hey Baltimore R-word fan, do you feel like a red headed step child rooting for the Browns.Not every REDSKINS fans are bandwagon fans.

15. skinsfansince71 says: Jun 1, 2013 8:22 AM

eahawkshurtpeople says: May 31, 2013 4:26 PM

Bad Karma is when all of your team being tested for PEDs and failing.

16. orakpownd says: Jun 1, 2013 1:16 PM

Washington…LOL Band Wagon Fans?!?! LOL you kill me Ravanator..HAHA honestly…..bandwagon…hahahahahaha….(I’m crying here)