Ronde Barber takes TV role with FOX Sports

Military, U.S. Coast Guard, military salute, John F. Mulholland, Jr., Ronde Barber AP

A post-football career in television didn’t really work out for Tiki Barber, but his identical twin brother is betting that it wasn’t Tiki’s physical appearance that accounted for his false start as a broadcaster.

Roy Cummings of the Tampa Tribune reports that Ronde Barber, who recently announced his retirement after 16 years as a defensive back with the Buccaneers, will be taking a job with FOX Sports. Mark Lepselter, who represents both Barber brothers, told Cummings that Ronde Barber will be taking a “hybrid role” that is expected to include game and studio work with FOX’s forthcoming FOX Sports 1 cable channel.

Tiki Barber seemed like a natural choice to make the move from the field to the broadcast booth after his career came to an end, but there wasn’t the same assumption about how Ronde would spend his hours after the end of his playing days. He should have plenty of insight into the game, but that doesn’t always translate into a compelling presence on television.

FOX is planning a daily roundtable show featuring Regis Philbin as part of its offerings when it launches this summer. We’ll find out then if the longtime Buc is part of the cast for that show or if there are other plans in mind for the second Barber brother to slide behind a microphone.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
29 Responses to “Ronde Barber takes TV role with FOX Sports”
  1. houseofbacon says: May 31, 2013 1:52 PM

Very happy that as a Tampa fan I get to keep seeing him in some fashion.

2. rpiotr01 says: May 31, 2013 1:53 PM

May he fare better than his flabbergasted brother.

3. skoobyfl says: May 31, 2013 1:55 PM

Now all we need is Strahan for this to come full circle.

4. bucswin10 says: May 31, 2013 1:56 PM

Ronde new job Congrats….The guy is a legend in this community and glad to see the rest of the NFL will see what a class act he is. Ronde and John Lynch will make a great pair….see you in the HOF

5. phinfan says: May 31, 2013 1:58 PM

…someone beat me to it… I’m flabbergasted!

6. hedleykow says: May 31, 2013 1:58 PM

Tiki saw it coming–not flabbergasted in the least.

7. osnap305 says: May 31, 2013 2:07 PM

“hybrid role” huh.

Well it’s nothing he isn’t used to!

8. buccaneerjeremy says: May 31, 2013 2:17 PM

Unlike his brother, I’m sure He’s actually give some insight on being a good teammate, players actually wanting to be around him, & being a good person in general.

Good things come to good people & This Barber seems to the “Good” one.

9. mvp43 says: May 31, 2013 2:19 PM

For whatever reason I look at Ronde and he reminds me of Tiki. Go figure….

10. jcbadger34 says: May 31, 2013 2:28 PM

Tiki Barber takes fry cook role with McDonalds.

11. johnelwayishorsefaced says: May 31, 2013 2:38 PM

How many lame, played out, never funny in the first place “Tiki is flabbergasted” comments are we going to see in this thread?
    For the record he never actually used the word “flabbergasted”. Look it up.
    I bet Drew Brees wants an explanation too, right?

12. ninerfan81 says: May 31, 2013 3:08 PM

Classy guy, his brother should take note.

13. thesteelers says: May 31, 2013 3:09 PM

LOLOL! LOLOLOLOLOL!

14. godofwine330 says: May 31, 2013 3:11 PM

I hope it works out for Ronde in TV. He seems like “the good twin” and has garnered a high level of respect from his peers and teammates. It would be interesting if Ronde succeeds in TV where Tiki failed, though.

15. whatnojets says: May 31, 2013 3:19 PM

johnelwayishorsefaced says:
    May 31, 2013 2:38 PM
    For the record he never actually used the word “flabbergasted”. Look it up.

“I bet Drew Brees wants an explanation too, right?”
    —————————————————————-NO- But Brett Farve does

16. Frazier28/7 says: May 31, 2013 3:28 PM

Hm. Which will fans want to listen to, the one who loved to play the game, or the one who loved to talk about himself playing the game.

17. kd75 says: May 31, 2013 3:31 PM

Won’t viewers THINK he is Tiki and tune out? They are identical twins. Tiki IS the more famous of the two and they look exactly alike.

“This is Rhonde, not Tiki, Barber reporting from the studio. I promise I am NOY Tiki. He is my brother.”

18. laxman1944 says: May 31, 2013 3:37 PM

Congrats Rhonde

19. opneon says: May 31, 2013 3:54 PM

I’m not a Giants fan but still don’t understand the degree of hatred for Tiki. He may have made some strange moves and statements but it amazes me how much hatred there is for him. If all the wife-beaters and criminals in the NFL get a pass – he certainly should.
    By the way, he is on national morning radio and does a fine job – so stop the hatred and jealousy!

20. 6ball says: May 31, 2013 4:36 PM

Regis Philbin? Is he the guy who used to play for the Jets?

21. whatjusthapped says: May 31, 2013 4:46 PM

Hide the Interns

22. vikingsvoice says: May 31, 2013 5:02 PM

Ronde is all class, all the time. Tiki sold out both his head coach, Tom Coughlin and teammates, including Eli Manning, over the course of his career. Huge difference between those two.

23. mazblast says: May 31, 2013 6:37 PM

The Barber twins have two persons’ worth of class. Unfortunately for Tiki, it all went to Ronde.

24. r104671word says: May 31, 2013 7:22 PM

Here’s an outsiders view of Tiki. He came across as a smug jerk that thinks he’s smarter than everyone. He sold out his Giants teammates and talked bad about them then the Giants go on to win the SB without him. How can I trust his opinion on football when he couldn’t even recognize the fact he was on a SB caliber team? He kicked his team when they were down. I hated what he did to the Giants and I’m a freaking Redskin fan!

25. johnnyb216 says: May 31, 2013 7:29 PM

It just keeps getting better and better for Tiki…

26. commonsensedude says: May 31, 2013 7:46 PM

I am another ‘Skins fan who actually was pulling for the Giants back in 2007 and was delighted to see Eli and company dunk one in Tiki’s face. Tiki and Ronde may be identical twins but somehow Ronde has all the class and character and Tiki seems to have very little.

27. dedreu400 says: May 31, 2013 8:08 PM

I wonder if Tiki puts the hit out on Rhonde. Well if anything ever happens to Rhonde the authorities should know where to look first. I’m just saying.

28. rick2248 says: May 31, 2013 8:25 PM

What dose Regis know about sports besides he is 82 years old should be retired.

29. bucforever says: May 31, 2013 9:13 PM

Good luck Ronde! I’ll be watching as much as possible. I think you will be a hit!