Bryan Bulaga “excited” about challenge of playing left tackle

Bryan Bulaga AP

The Packers decided to shuffle up their offensive line after giving quarterback Aaron Rodgers a big new contract this offseason, sliding Bryan Bulaga to left tackle and Josh Sitton to left guard from the same positions on the right side of the line.

Bulaga played left tackle at Iowa before moving to the right side to replace Mark Tauscher as a rookie so he’s familiar with the position, making it easier for him to accept the change even though he acknowledges that there will be difficulties picking up the nuances of playing it at the NFL level. Bulaga said he’s “excited” about those challenges and never thought twice about making the move.

“They approached me, told me and that was that,” Bulaga said, via Mike Vandermause of the Green Bay Press-Gazette. “When they told me I was going to switch, (that) I was going to play left tackle, just do whatever I’m told that’s going to help the team. That’s kind of the way I operate.”

If the move goes well, it will be a win for the Packers as a team and Bulaga as an individual. Good protection for Rodgers should lead to eye-popping offensive numbers and another trip to the playoffs, which would lead to a lot of attention for Bulaga at the marquee position on the offensive line. Bulaga’s contract is up after the 2014 season and there’s no doubt that negotiating as a successful left tackle leads to more lucrative paydays than you’ll find on the right side of the line.

Add that to the good feelings generated by your team asking you to play an important position and it’s easy to understand why Bulaga’s excited about his new role.

Permalink 62 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
62 Responses to “Bryan Bulaga “excited” about challenge of playing left tackle”
  1. purplepride74 says: Jun 3, 2013 9:33 AM

Did he get his arms stretched over the offseason?

2. unbiasfan says: Jun 3, 2013 9:35 AM

Bryan Bulaga will be seeing a lot of Jared Allen’s back this season

3. acmepackers says: Jun 3, 2013 9:39 AM

Can’t be any worse than Newhouse, who was pedestrian at best

4. allday28mvpmvp says: Jun 3, 2013 9:44 AM

Packers: Worst O-line in football

Vikings: Best D-line in football

You do the math.

5. pillowporkers says: Jun 3, 2013 9:44 AM

I can think of some other people who are excited to hear this as well (Jared Allen, Julius Peppers, Ezekial Ansah, Everson Griffen, etc…).

6. mz1394 says: Jun 3, 2013 9:50 AM

Weekly Packers injury report: doubtful – Bulaga (severe case of wind burn) caused by defensive ends going around him

7. filthymcnasty1 says: Jun 3, 2013 9:51 AM

Left tackle is a critical position for the Packers as they ready themselves for another title run. I expect the move will only enhance the Packers explosive offensive output, as they have already managed to dominate the hapless, tasteless Vikings and Bears twice per season in each of the past 3 years.

8. buddysguys says: Jun 3, 2013 9:51 AM

so are all the DEs and OLBs that get to go against him….he stinks.

9. theoriginalbvan says: Jun 3, 2013 9:51 AM

It’s the “Green Bay Press-Gazette”.

10. munny10 says: Jun 3, 2013 9:59 AM

This switch is only part of the story. I would like to see more “football experts” talk about the fact MM is switching both tackles and guards to the other side of the line. It has never been done and and I’m a bit concerned (as a packer fan). If Newhouse and Lang struggled/failed on the Left side, why do we believe they will be good on the Right side? Yes, better rush comes from the blind side of the QB, but D-coordinators always adjust to the best matchups. Gutsy, risky move – and I’d love to hear the experts weigh in on the chances of success. Hope this move gains more traction in the media.

11. axespray says: Jun 3, 2013 10:00 AM

That best d-line in football has yet to hold Rodgers under 20 points…. and people rip on our defense for “a” game or two… your defense continues to get shredded by Rodgers twice a year.

As a fan, I know that no matter what, we’re gonna inflate our offensive stats when we get our two games against that “Scary Dline”.

12. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Jun 3, 2013 10:00 AM

Footwork is more important than arm length at LT. And Bulaga has some of the best footwork I’ve ever seen. This guy could easily win dancing with the stars once his career is over.

13. aa1829 says: Jun 3, 2013 10:03 AM

The Pack will dominate the division, again. See you in the playoffs, if you get real lucky. Stay safe Packers.

14. GenXJay says: Jun 3, 2013 10:04 AM

Bulaga sandwich.
    He’s gonna get ate up all day.
    Run for your life ShAaron. Nothing will save your a$$.

15. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 3, 2013 10:07 AM

I guess if you’re not going to improve your terrible offensive line through the draft or free agency, shuffling people around is about all you can do.

16. packfntk says: Jun 3, 2013 10:09 AM

allday28mvpmvp is the vikings fan version of logicalvoice. May be the same guy actually. Must not be very much going on in moms basement.

17. jrmbadger says: Jun 3, 2013 10:10 AM

No surprise that the first comments on this article are Viking trolls. They are like your whiny little brother who just quite doesn’t measure up but tries to make up for it by being annoying.

Packers: Best QB in football
    Vikings: Worst QB in football

you do the math.

18. gbmickey says: Jun 3, 2013 10:12 AM

Look at all the Viking whiners on here already. If it isnt the whining on Saints topics about them supposedly getting cheated by the refs its coming on the Packer articles and talking tough like we have some reason to be afraid. You have been dominated for years now.As stated many times previously legitimacy will come when you actually win something.

19. packhawk04 says: Jun 3, 2013 10:16 AM

Allday, weve heard that for a few years now. Ive done the math. Packers last three years- 36-12, 2 division titles, 1 super bowl.
    Vikings last three years- 19-29, nothing.

20. fdromanowski says: Jun 3, 2013 10:20 AM

Funny how Viking fans are excited about this. IF the running game improves, and that is a big IF, I would not want to face the Packers in 2013-2014 if I were a Vikings defender, especially if I was a d-lineman. Allen will not be able to be a one-trick pony vs the Packers anymore. An aging Clifton used to shut down Allen, and so will Bulaga.
    If it were not for Allen facing a young T.J. Lang a couple of years ago, he wouldn’t have come close to his monstrous sack numbers. I want to say he had 7 or 8 sacks vs Lang and Newhouse that year. Not exactly elite NFL o-linemen. Keep hoping vikes fans, it will happen eventually. Just not this year.

21. leo133074 says: Jun 3, 2013 10:33 AM

I bet rodgers is “excited” too

22. dsp518 says: Jun 3, 2013 10:36 AM

Someone beat me to the punch…….PONDER or RODGERS? Tough question……..Ummm, I’ll take Rodgers. I have a cousin who lives in Las Vegas and he’s on the phone giving me crap the second something goes against Green Bay or for the Vikings. Even after I remind him time and time again that the games are a FULL 60 minutes, he continues to call before the final gun. One day he’ll learn to shut up. I guess it’s time to remind the Viking fans that Super Bowl titles aren’t won in June. Oh yea, since I mentioned Super Bowl titles how many do the Vikings have?

23. waldman79 says: Jun 3, 2013 10:40 AM

Bulaga was overrated at Iowa, as was his replacement Reiff who finds himself starting for the Lions this season. After watching Seattle’s DEs blow by Bulaga & crush Rodgers I can’t see how GB feels good about this…

24. greenandgold1972 says: Jun 3, 2013 10:46 AM

Take a look at Rodgers stats when pressure came from the right and then tell me Bulaga stinks.

25. emoney826 says: Jun 3, 2013 10:58 AM

After reading these replies, I’m positive that there are more Viking trolls than packer trolls on this site. Sound like a bunch of idiots with your comments. It’s the same B.S. posted every summer. And after every season, you’re confidence is always completely deflated because the packers own the division over and over and over again. Wake up to reality, kids.

26. emoney826 says: Jun 3, 2013 11:00 AM

And even with the worst line in football, the packers still own you. How bad will it be when they finally put a decent o line together? You’re all in for another long season.

27. whatjusthapped says: Jun 3, 2013 11:06 AM

I got to laugh at the Viking trolls. If he is as bad as you say then kindly explain to me how your team lost 2 games to the Packers for the last 3 consecutive seasons?

I’ll give you a hint, we have a QB and you don’t.

28. jayteem says: Jun 3, 2013 11:19 AM

Packers. Best quarterback in football.
    Vikings. Worst quarterback in football

You do the math.

29. grizzlott says: Jun 3, 2013 11:26 AM

Julius Peppers is drooling over this news….

30. blergy says: Jun 3, 2013 12:01 PM

Lol, wait, why would Allen be “excited” about facing a LT that’s 3 times better than Newhouse, who was a human turnstyle for Allen?

You Vikings trolls are morons.

31. vikings28 says: Jun 3, 2013 12:11 PM

I’m a vikings fan and I will say this will be interesting……

32. themagicfanguy says: Jun 3, 2013 12:13 PM

I love how the Queen fans troll the most. I mean I can at least understand when a Bears fan trolls since they’ve had good teams in the past, but the Queens?!? So being dominated twice a year for decades hasn’t taught you yet? Get on our level before you talk trash losers!

33. filthymcnasty1 says: Jun 3, 2013 12:57 PM

I suspect you’ll continue to see this sort of spastic teen angst from Viking fans until that team becomes a legitimate NFL franchise.

Being 3rd class citizens for over half a century has made them angry.

34. allday28mvpmvp says: Jun 3, 2013 1:14 PM

I love how Packer trolls talk endless smack, always about the past too. They claim they beat the Vikes and Bears “twice a year, every year”

As much as they love history they forgot how their last regular season game went: Ponder with 3 TDs as Pack lose in Packer fashion. “But wait!”, they say. We beat you in the playoffs right after!
    Good job, you beat Joe Webb. Congrats.

Nothing I hope more than to see the Vikes vs Pack in the playoffs again this year. And I really hope Ponder is healthy becuz he showed last time these two teams met, he can and will beat them.

35. larrydavid7000 says: Jun 3, 2013 1:27 PM

someone had better tell him that in week 2 WINTER IS COMING in form of a 2 headed monster. good luck week 2.

36. mikeinsanfran says: Jun 3, 2013 1:31 PM

Week one: A healthy and rested Justin and Aldon Smith. Good luck!

37. jrmbadger says: Jun 3, 2013 1:33 PM

allday28mvpmvp says:
    Jun 3, 2013 1:14 PM

Good job, you beat Joe Webb. Congrats.

==================================

Your excuses are comical. Guess what? The Vikings head coaches and management had several years before that game to evaluate Joe Webb as a QB prospect, including all of last year leading up to that game.

That game was more of a failure of Vikings coaching and management than of Webb. How professional coaches and management lets a guy that is so substandard enter that game in that point of the season is a joke.

I understand the backups generally aren’t that good, but that guy couldn’t even throw a forward pass.

38. jrmbadger says: Jun 3, 2013 1:35 PM

mikeinsanfran says:
    Jun 3, 2013 1:31 PM
    Week one: A healthy and rested Justin and Aldon Smith. Good luck!
    =======================

Hey thanks Mike, and good luck against “Dialtone” Jones when he hits Colleen so hard she hears a dial-tone.

39. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 3, 2013 1:37 PM

greenandgold1972 says:Jun 3, 2013 10:46 AM

_____

I don’t think I have access to that information.

40. dd393 says: Jun 3, 2013 1:44 PM

allday28mvpmvp says: Jun 3, 2013 9:44 AM

Packers: Worst O-line in football

Vikings: Best D-line in football

You do the math.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Not even.

Not even.

In your Viking troll mind, 2+2=5. Check out the post-season appearances and records. Then shoot off your mouth.

41. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 3, 2013 1:46 PM

themagicfanguy says:Jun 3, 2013 12:13 PM

_______

Dominated twice a year for decades? Excluding the Vikings’ expansion years, the Packers have swept the season series 12 times since 1968. The Vikings have done it 13 times. The overall record is 38-30-1 in favor of the Vikings. I don’t have a problem with fans talking trash (although others seem to really have a problem with it), but at least be accurate.

42. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 3, 2013 1:49 PM

jrmbadger says:Jun 3, 2013 1:33 PM

_______

Agreed, they should never have had Webb as the backup QB. But now they’ve addressed that situation and have a competent veteran as the backup. It’s called recognizing a weakness, addressing it, and improving the team. Maybe the Packers should try that. Do you think Graham Harrel is going to lead that no-talent team to the playoffs if Rodgers goes down?

43. tokyosandblaster says: Jun 3, 2013 1:52 PM

Don’t let Vikings trolls get under your skin.

One of them thinks each team plays 17 games per year. Others hope Rodgers gets hurt.

They pretend to know about football, but the Vikes have never won a Super Bowl, so they have no idea what a champion looks like.

We have a better team. We know more about football. These are facts.

The end.

44. ponderthedumpoffking says: Jun 3, 2013 1:56 PM

Rick, we have a backup QB behind our starter. You have a backup QB AS your starting QB.

What happens if Peterson goes down?

Exactly.

45. tombradysponytail says: Jun 3, 2013 2:03 PM

You guys have got to relax a little bit. As a big AFC East guy and an independent observer, I suggest letting the season play out a little bit and see what happens. My father-in-law is about as rabid a Vikes fan as there ever was and his perspective is “Yes, the Packers have been better than the Vikes over the past few years. But, Vikes are making moves and seem to be improving. Should keep this rivalry interesting for the next few years.”

I think y’all would be be well served by taking his approach to being a fan. Sheesh.

46. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Jun 3, 2013 2:12 PM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says:Jun 3, 2013 10:07 AM

——

I GUESS IF YOU’rE NOT GOING TO iMPROVE YOUR TERRIBLE QUARTERBAck PLAY THROUGH ANY MEANS, YOUR TEAM IS ALWAYS GOING TO BE TERRiBLE AND YOU’LL NEVER WIN THE sUPER BOWL. OH, AND aARON ROdGERS IS AWESOME AND IS ONLY GOING TO bE MORE aWESOME AFTER THIS gREAT MOVE!

47. tokyosandblaster says: Jun 3, 2013 2:12 PM

Packers were better on offense and defense, and improved both.

Vikings may not even get to .500 again. See 2011 into 2012 Detroit Lions.

48. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Jun 3, 2013 2:15 PM

@rickspeilman

Now, let’s do Super Bowl Records:

Vikings: 0-4
    Packers: 4-1

49. filthymcnasty1 says: Jun 3, 2013 2:16 PM

tombradysponytail says: Jun 3, 2013 2:03 PM

*************************************************

This must seem a little like Bills fans trying to talk smack about the Patriots.

50. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 3, 2013 2:27 PM

tokyosandblaster says:Jun 3, 2013 2:12 PM

Packers were better on offense and defense, and improved both.

Vikings may not even get to .500 again. See 2011 into 2012 Detroit Lions.
    _____

Great analysis. The Packers improved both their offense and defense by…moving a couple guys around.

Meanwhile, ignore the Vikings three first-round picks, top-100 free agent signings, and natural improvement of young players. They’ll probably be just like the Lions even though there is no comparison between the two teams.

51. tokyosandblaster says: Jun 3, 2013 2:40 PM

The packers didn’t draft anyone, either. Great analysis from Vikings fans, who project the packers to go 6-11.

You have no argument.

52. deltaoracle says: Jun 3, 2013 3:35 PM

Bulaga faced some pretty good rushers where he was. Hate to break it to Bear and Mini fans, but neither Peppers nor Allen, while still very good, are quite the scary monsters that they once were. And with the Packers now having a pair of pretty fair RBs, teams may not be able to tee off on Rodgers the way they have been. At least not without paying for it. Personally I don’t think Newhouse is likely to be the starting RT. We’ll see.

53. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 3, 2013 3:38 PM

I’m sorry, I forgot about the two all-pro running backs you drafted. I guess that means the Vikings will be like the Lions.

54. tokyosandblaster says: Jun 3, 2013 3:56 PM

You don’t mention the Packers players that will be better. Is that exclusive to Minny?

The lions overachieved and their fans ran their mouths. Now it’s you guys.

Exactly like the lions.

55. daveb204 says: Jun 3, 2013 4:09 PM

Remember when the Vikings won the Super Bowl…me neither.

56. munny10 says: Jun 3, 2013 4:27 PM

Jared Allen,…Never heard of her?

57. mikeinsanfran says: Jun 3, 2013 4:40 PM

jrmbadger – I will take Joe Staley and Anthony Davis in that match up any day of the week and twice on Sunday’s. And that’s coming from a UCLA alum that knows Jones and Matthews all too well. Last I checked the Niners have owned the Pack for two straight games. This isn’t the 90′s bro.

58. ponderthedumpoffking says: Jun 3, 2013 5:21 PM

I will say the Giants and Niners have owned us lately.

Here’s hoping that can change with the new editions and that our team can stay healthy.

Week one will hopefully be better than the playoffs.

59. wamj2008 says: Jun 3, 2013 6:31 PM

The Packers lead the all-time series 55-49-1.

60. 15to12 says: Jun 3, 2013 6:36 PM

The packers o line is terrible. McCarthy is only there because Rodgers is the man. Rodgers is a system quarterback. The offense only works because of Rodgers. The defense is terrible. There is no running game. Rodgers holds the ball too long. The receivers are mediocre but Rodgers makes them look good. The receivers make Rodgers look good. The d line is a seive. The corners can’t cover. The linebackers can’t tackle or cover. The special teams is like the keystone cops.

So exactly how did the pack go 26-12 over the last 3 seasons with a Super Bowl win? Did Espn talk them in like they talk people into stupid opinions?

61. monkeyboymotors says: Jun 3, 2013 6:58 PM

I thought the Ravens won the Super Bowl , and Adrian Peterson was voted MVP. Did I or the packer trolls get it wrong? Or is it the packer trolls or Myself living in the past.

62. jrmbadger says: Jun 3, 2013 9:49 PM

mikeinsanfran says: Jun 3, 2013 4:40 PM

==============================

just some playful banter (and I just wanted to use the nickname “dial tone” because it’s a great nickname. )

Should be a good early season test of both teams.

I’ll be interested to see how the ’9ers and the seahawks do this year after defenses have had a whole year’s worth of film to figure out the read option.