Eric Wright: I’m an exceptional player and the world hasn’t seen it

Eric Wright AP

Tampa Bay cornerback Eric Wright admits he had “a lot of concern” that the Buccaneers would cut him after his suspension last season voided the guaranteed money on his contract. But now that he and the Bucs have come to terms on a new deal, Wright says people are going to see just how smart the team was to sign him.

Wright told the Tampa Bay Times that he believes the NFL will see this year that he’s one of the league’s elite players.

“I feel like I’m a pretty exceptional player, and the world has yet to see that in its entirety,” Wright said. “I have to just go out there and remain consistent and do whatever I can to help this team win.”

The Buccaneers have made upgrading the cornerback position a major priority this offseason, trading their first-round pick for Darrelle Revis and using their second-round pick on Johnthan Banks. But Wright doesn’t see any reason he wouldn’t be a starter.

“As long as I’m healthy and out here, there’s no way that I’m not a contributor on this team,” Wright said. “That’s the type of competitor I am. That’s how I am in general. I’ve been playing this game for six years, and I’ve been a starter for six years, and that says something about the person I am, the player I am, and where my mind-set is at all times. I don’t see it being any different.”

Now the Bucs just need Wright to play as well as he says he can play.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
45 Responses to “Eric Wright: I’m an exceptional player and the world hasn’t seen it”
  1. milkmandanimal says: Jun 3, 2013 10:48 AM

As a Bucs fan, I’d love to see “exceptional” but I’d settle for “competent” at this point.

2. mazblast says: Jun 3, 2013 10:48 AM

Shut up and play, kid. If you’re really that good, the football world will notice, even if you don’t play for New York or New England.

3. ihatethejets23 says: Jun 3, 2013 10:51 AM

3 teams in 6 years. I would think that if he was truly “exceptional” that wouldn’t be the case.

4. barkymingo says: Jun 3, 2013 10:56 AM

As a Browns fan, this kid is exceptional………exceptionally bad. Can’t tackle and gets burnt worse than me at a pool party

5. brownspower says: Jun 3, 2013 11:00 AM

Wright is wrong.
    He’s not exceptional, in fact he’s not good enough to play for the Browns.

6. bunjy96 says: Jun 3, 2013 11:03 AM

Strange as it may seem he might be correct. When he played the Bucs were winning (for the most part). When he was unable to play (injuries or league suspension), the Bucs were losers.

Coincidence? Leroy Jethro Gibbs does not believe in coincidences!

7. fatcamper says: Jun 3, 2013 11:03 AM

I’m an exceptional employee, but my boss keeps catching me on PFT….and sleeping. Plus that whole showing up late and leaving early thing. I feel your pain Eric.

8. gallogj says: Jun 3, 2013 11:07 AM

I thought he died from AIDS after getting kicked out of NWA? Now he’s in the NFL?

9. cheapglazers says: Jun 3, 2013 11:12 AM

It takes an exceptional talent to get cut by the Lions! Just saying…

10. dredddog says: Jun 3, 2013 11:12 AM

As a Browns fan he did make some good plays for us. He beat the Super Bowl champion Giants on a 99 yard pick 6. He has the skills to be good..and with Revis on the other side he will get thrown too..if he stays healthy he could have a good year.

11. westampa says: Jun 3, 2013 11:14 AM

He should look good this year if Revis is shutting down the opposing teams #1, and Banks is on the #2. He will be in at nickel and covering a teams 3rd best WR or in zone getting picks.

12. bucfan702 says: Jun 3, 2013 11:14 AM

” If I am healthy” He is already looking for an excuse when he play bad. If your exceptional you play good through it all if it ain’t broke. Be about it don’t talk about it or Banks will have your job.

13. tv426 says: Jun 3, 2013 11:17 AM

I’m the greatest football player to have ever lived, but like Wright, the world has just not seen it based on my performances on the field.

14. oldbrowndawg says: Jun 3, 2013 11:25 AM

I agree with barkymingo. I watched this dude play for the Browns and he routinely announced that his “swagger was outrageous” but, as barkymingo says, he was routinely toasted in the passing game and was tossed aside like an old shoe by running backs. He just keeps flapping his jaws. No talent, huge mouth. Tampa Bay will regret retaining him.

15. 0ffsides says: Jun 3, 2013 11:35 AM

He must be drinking the same Kool-Aid as Titus.

16. bugorfeature says: Jun 3, 2013 11:41 AM

Never seen him on a top 10 list.

17. jwayne111 says: Jun 3, 2013 11:44 AM

So we will see; reference Graham, J.Jones, R.White twice year

18. doe22us says: Jun 3, 2013 11:49 AM

Delusions of grandeur, i remember a game in which Boldin ate his lunch and stuffed him in the toilet. He is garbage at best, and still shaking my head at teh contract the bucks gave him, giid deal for them that it got voided somewhat.

19. Nic says: Jun 3, 2013 11:52 AM

With Revis on the other side, you could put Betty White on the field and she’d play at an “exceptional” level.

20. mkbane says: Jun 3, 2013 11:58 AM

Eric Wright: I’m an exceptional player and the world hasn’t seen it.

Well, he’s half right, half dead wrong on that statement.

21. bigwinintx says: Jun 3, 2013 12:03 PM

Is “exceptional” the new word for “below average”?
    Cause, we’ve seen that part of your game.

22. ninerfan81 says: Jun 3, 2013 12:09 PM

He lost out on an exceptional amount of money, I think he was due $8.5M base before that PED suspension…ouch.

23. kpow55 says: Jun 3, 2013 12:12 PM

Exceptional?!?!?

He got CUT by the Lions, one of the worst secondaries in the NFL at the time.

24. miguelromerorhpat says: Jun 3, 2013 12:21 PM

Make him a drug test,this guy is in seious condition…

25. studio26seattle says: Jun 3, 2013 12:34 PM

You’re exceptional at resembling burnt toast.

26. xinellum says: Jun 3, 2013 12:35 PM

Flaccoitis. Say your good and maybe it will come true and your can point to it and say I told you so, or, suck next year and no one will be talking about you anyway, so it’s a win-win.

27. kayakattack says: Jun 3, 2013 12:35 PM

Actions speak so loud…..

28. golforepar says: Jun 3, 2013 12:42 PM

I must say Eric, you hide your talents well!!

29. leecaz says: Jun 3, 2013 12:42 PM

Wright has amazing athletic ability. He proved that by the phenomenal interception return for a touchdown against the Giants last year. What he doesn’t seem to have is a great motor which leads to inconsistent play. If he puts it all together he may very well be elite, but at age 27 and over half a decade in the NFL it’s increasingly unlikely he ever becomes that guy.

Couple that with his off field issues dating back to college and what you have is a guy that has “expendable” written all over him.

30. tampajoey2 says: Jun 3, 2013 12:43 PM

… and everyone knows exceptional players take a $6.25 million dollar pay cut.

31. davetexansfan says: Jun 3, 2013 12:46 PM

Yea that’s what I tell myself too. But that’s also why I’m not in the NFL. But SOMEDAY the world will see.

32. pleazenufalready says: Jun 3, 2013 12:49 PM

So far, the only thing he’s been “exceptional” at is finding new realtors. Hey Eric, the best players don’t have to tell anyone how good they are, others say it for them.

33. blitzinc43 says: Jun 3, 2013 12:52 PM

Wright has got some natural athleticism, fan or not lets hope he develops well

34. getyourownname says: Jun 3, 2013 12:58 PM

On any slow news day, a few web hits can always be generated by citing another player who, shockingly, speaks of his confidence in his abilities.

Only about 462 players to go.

35. mhs8031 says: Jun 3, 2013 1:01 PM

Eric, Be careful not to confuse your status as a player with how you were classified as a student.

I am guessing your fans in Cleveland and Tampa are wishing you did not do such a good job of hiding this fact from the world.

36. kevthegrad says: Jun 3, 2013 1:08 PM

In a related story I am an exceptional Madden PS3 player but the world hasn’t seen it. Equally as relevant and compelling though.

37. filthymcnasty1 says: Jun 3, 2013 1:24 PM

This sounds a lot like of like Stuart Smalley’s daily affirmation. Was he speaking directly into a mirror?

38. metrocritical says: Jun 3, 2013 1:26 PM

Relative to the average population, Eric Wright may be exceptional. Relative to the NFL population, he is average.

39. root4cleveland says: Jun 3, 2013 1:30 PM

I’ve been saying the same thing ever since my high school coach benched me…

Really, though – and I’m a Cleveland fan – this guy is pretty decent in coverage but his tackling is simply terrible.

Elite players don’t play for 3 teams in 4 years, Wright. Sorry to be the one to tell you.

40. root4cleveland says: Jun 3, 2013 1:31 PM

unless they’re traded for assets, a la Revis.

41. brownsfanincali says: Jun 3, 2013 1:46 PM

He might make the NFL Network’s Top 1800 …

42. snakeman40 says: Jun 3, 2013 1:48 PM

I’m an exceptionally sexy guy…but the world just hasn’t seen it yet.

43. stephenolszewski says: Jun 3, 2013 2:14 PM

I’d say he’s half right….we haven’t seen it probably won’t ever see it

44. steveb9995 says: Jun 3, 2013 4:37 PM

Wright wasn’t good when he played for the Lions–that’s why they let him walk after his one year contract was up. He was targeted constantly, which allowed him to get a few INTs and break up some passes, but he got burned a LOT. He also had a lot of tackles, because the guys he covered caught a lot of balls in front of him. In fact, as a Lion he allowed the most yards after the catch of any CB in the league, something the Bucs front office must have overlooked when they offered him such a fat contract.

45. raiderlyfe510 says: Jul 19, 2013 4:46 PM

I remember sitting by Eric Wright’s family at the Raiders Vs Browns game in 2007. They caught some of heat for their Browns’ jerseys but soldiered through the game.Good people.