Jim Kelly has cancer, prognosis for recovery is good

jimkelly Getty Images

Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly has revealed that he has cancer.

Kelly, who played for the Bills from 1986 to 1996, said in a statement released by the team that he expects to make a full recovery.

“This past couple of weeks has been difficult for me and because of the nature of social media I thought it would be best to share with everyone what has been going on with my health,” Kelly said. “I was recently diagnosed with Squamous-cell carcinoma (cancer) of the upper jaw bone. I have undergone tests which have shown that the cancer is isolated to my upper jaw and has not spread to other parts of my body. Surgery is scheduled for June 7th and doctors have told me that the prognosis for my recovery is very good. With the excellent medical care that I will be receiving and the loving care of my wife Jill and my daughters Erin and Camryn and the support of my entire family and friends, I am extremely confident in my road to recovery.”

We credit Kelly for helping to raise awareness by addressing his health matter publicly, and we wish him well in his recovery.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
30 Responses to “Jim Kelly has cancer, prognosis for recovery is good”
  1. drone501 says: Jun 3, 2013 9:13 AM

good luck to you jim. you are going to kick this cancers ass.

2. gtmac21 says: Jun 3, 2013 9:16 AM

You got this #12! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

3. manilarizzo says: Jun 3, 2013 9:25 AM

You couldn’t win the Super Bowl but something tells me you’ll beat this one just fine! Go Jim!

4. 5wide says: Jun 3, 2013 9:29 AM

Who are the people giving thumbs down to comments wishing Jim Kelly well? Pray that cancer never touches your lives. Get better Jimbo, we’re all pulling for you.

5. bvolke says: Jun 3, 2013 9:30 AM

One of the toughest players in NFL history. He will no doubt take this head on like when he went head first into a 250 pound linebacker.

6. godofwine330 says: Jun 3, 2013 9:33 AM

Best wishes for recovery.

I wish there was a place I could find that had all of the USFL stats as well. He didn’t come into the NFL until ’86 and only played 11 years. He was one helluva USFL QB as well.

7. southpaw2k says: Jun 3, 2013 9:35 AM

Godspeed, Jim Kelly. Give cancer the big double middle finger.

And why the f*** hasn’t anyone cured cancer yet anyway?

8. footballfan58 says: Jun 3, 2013 9:36 AM

Best of luck to you, Jim, for a complete recovery! All positive thoughts and energy coming your way!

9. joemontanawasthegreatest says: Jun 3, 2013 9:38 AM

Kelly, Marino, Elway et al all used dip/smokeless tobacco…I wonder if it’s connected?

Good luck Jimbo!

10. buddysguys says: Jun 3, 2013 9:47 AM

for the people giving thumbs down on wishes for a recovery from cancer. Thumbs down to you and your ignorance, I’m not going to wish you sick like you deserve because with moves like that your life is probably already garbage.

Kick Cancers ASS JIMBO!!!

11. proudliberal85392 says: Jun 3, 2013 9:55 AM

Here’s to a full and speedy recovery, Jim.

12. buffaloviper says: Jun 3, 2013 9:57 AM

Jim,
    You know we are cheering you on. You gave us the glory years with the Bills. We know you will give us many more. We all wish you a speedy recovery like the K-Gun offense you ran.

13. dukeshoward says: Jun 3, 2013 10:07 AM

I had that kind of head and neck cancer. A healthy and relatively young person can beat this if it is detected in time – as it appears to be in this case. At any rate my prayers go out to Mr. Kelly and his family.

14. metrocritical says: Jun 3, 2013 10:17 AM

Jim Kelly was a gamer with the Houston Gamblers before going on to a stellar career in Buffalo and doesn’t always get the credit he deserves. Getting to 4 straight Super Bowls was a major accomplishment, essentially meaning that they were the best team in the NFL over that 4 year span. Here’s hoping for a fast and full recovery, JK.

15. pacopicopiedra says: Jun 3, 2013 10:23 AM

That’s how you get it in your mouth, I should say. On the skin it comes from too much sun, or tanning beds.

16. freepretzels says: Jun 3, 2013 10:23 AM

Cancer is rough, but Jim took the records for QB sacks in his first NFL year and persevered through it. They don’t get much tougher.

17. blacknole08 says: Jun 3, 2013 10:28 AM

Whoa… this is sad to hear but someone like Jim Kelly can beat this.

I wish you well and good luck Jim!

18. yanksbills says: Jun 3, 2013 10:28 AM

Kelly’s life is much bigger than cancer. Beat the hell out of it, Jim!

19. nashz84 says: Jun 3, 2013 10:35 AM

Best wishes hopefully a speedy and full recovery

20. germanstingray says: Jun 3, 2013 10:43 AM

Best wishes for a full, rapid recovery Jim!

21. jaysfan64 says: Jun 3, 2013 10:52 AM

Prayers to maybe the toughest QB ever to play..having watched his entire career I have no doubt he’ll beat this thing…

22. EJ says: Jun 3, 2013 11:28 AM

Good Luck Jim! #Billsmafia wishes you a speedy recovery! Western NY can’t wait to see our all-time favorite QB become our next Owner! #GoBills!!!!

23. buckybadger says: Jun 3, 2013 12:07 PM

Jim is tough for this garbage. He will scare cancer away.

24. saintmyfault says: Jun 3, 2013 12:55 PM

One of my favorites growing up. No doubt he will beat this thing. Gey well soon Jim

25. cometkazie says: Jun 3, 2013 1:00 PM

All the best, Jim.

26. polonelmeagrejr says: Jun 3, 2013 1:16 PM

A nasty disease – like death – a real leveller.

27. cooter80 says: Jun 3, 2013 4:16 PM

Jim all the Best, coming from a huge Hurricane and Dolphin FAN.

28. pabillsfan says: Jun 4, 2013 12:00 PM

Jim Kelly is the best Buffalo Bills player ever in my book. He’s been my hero since I was little. He played from when I was 6 until I was 16, very impressionable years for me. My lucky number is 12, and I play it or say it anytime I want to win something and many times it has worked for me over the years, honestly. The only buffalo bills jersey I’ve ever owned is his. Life long buffalo bills fan here, just saying that this hits me very hard, but I have faith that he will beat this. You have my possitive energy Mr. Kelly, my hero.

29. notthatguy87 says: Jun 4, 2013 7:36 PM

@5wide, people are not giving thumbs down in regards to Jim beating cancer . . .

Rather, I imagine the thumbs down refer to @manilarizzo’s naive, pithy superbowl shot at Jim.

30. jacksonjames4 says: Jun 4, 2013 9:21 PM

You can always count on a corny ‘godspeed’ comment when there is a article on someone being ill