Back surgery for Jason Pierre-Paul

Pierre AP

Another week, another high-profile player who entered the league in 2010 and had a big second season and fell off in 2012 needs back surgery.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul is undergoing back surgery today in California.  The procedure is being performed by Dr. Robert Watkins, the same doctor who’ll operate later this month on Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski.

Pierre-Paul is expected to be ready for the start of the regular season.  It’s unclear how long before Week One he’ll be cleared to practice and play.

The first-round pick played with the back injury in 2012, and he had multiple epidural injections to get through the season.  He’s expected to be fully recovered after the surgery.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Back surgery for Jason Pierre-Paul”
  1. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Jun 4, 2013 10:06 AM

Look out little Bobby!

2. ishakethatbear says: Jun 4, 2013 10:06 AM

If falling off is grading out as one of the best run stoppers in football while playing with a bad back then I am OK with that.

3. hanifmiller says: Jun 4, 2013 10:07 AM

Crap! Everytime the Giants have a crazy offseason they win a superbowl. As an Eagles fan I just wish that, for once, everything went perfect for the Giants in the offseason.

4. nfloracle says: Jun 4, 2013 10:07 AM

Playing with multiple epidural injections during the season… I can’t even begin to imagine the damage he did to his back for the rest of his life by masking all that pain. Pain is the body’s signal to stop doing whatever’s causing the pain. Man, I really feel bad about Pierre-Paul’s future. Hate to think of him in a wheelchair or worse… like the great Earl Campbell.

5. fafaflunky says: Jun 4, 2013 10:09 AM

I wonder if all this crap going on the with giants is karma for those bs cap penalties..mmmmmmm

6. geeeeemen says: Jun 4, 2013 10:10 AM

Damn. How did he get ahead of Gronk on the list though??
    Also why didn’t he have it done any sooner than June 4 if he knew about it all last season?
    Refuah Shleima!

7. whatnojets says: Jun 4, 2013 10:11 AM

That doesn’t sound good for the Giants

8. Phil Forte says: Jun 4, 2013 10:14 AM

how does this not get performed before OTA’s if everyone knows this problem has been lingering?

9. unbiasfan says: Jun 4, 2013 10:15 AM

Shawn Merriman 2.0

10. trollaikman8 says: Jun 4, 2013 10:16 AM

All that lifting Prince Amakumura puts a strain on the back.

11. myeaglescantwin says: Jun 4, 2013 10:18 AM

hope to see him fully recover.

The league is better with talents like this man running around healthy.

12. nfceastfan says: Jun 4, 2013 10:18 AM

With a back injury there’s no guarantee he’s ever going to be the way he was before. Just ask Shawn Andrews.

13. thesteelers says: Jun 4, 2013 10:21 AM

This is why we didn’t draft him.

14. blitzinc43 says: Jun 4, 2013 10:24 AM

Still JPP over Brandon Graham.

15. shayeezy says: Jun 4, 2013 10:35 AM

why wait until now to have the surgery? i guess they were trying to see if he would recover without it first? dumb.

16. patriotenvy says: Jun 4, 2013 10:39 AM

Back injuries are no joke. When these guys get old I wonder if the doctors will still be able to help them.

17. rickshaw48 says: Jun 4, 2013 10:40 AM

Why wait ’til June to get this done?

18. maxbaker25 says: Jun 4, 2013 10:43 AM

I don’t understand why these guys wait 4 months after the end of the season to have surgery. To miss training camp and be 75% fully recovered at the start of the next season?

19. gcsuk says: Jun 4, 2013 10:48 AM

“The first-round pick played with the back injury in 2012, and he had multiple epidural injections to get through the season.”

So then why did he wait this long to have the surgery? This couldn’t have been done closer to the end of last season? At least Gronkowski had an excuse. He was too busy having other surgeries.

20. hartcarluncarlun says: Jun 4, 2013 10:53 AM

Don’t understand why these guys wait to have things done. Should’ve been done in Febuary!!

21. hehateme2 says: Jun 4, 2013 10:54 AM

Too many backflips??

22. bookofelisha10 says: Jun 4, 2013 10:56 AM

i think it goes without saying no matter whos hurt this season comes down to eli manning and his ability to win or completely get dominated. i think eli will have a fine year, losing JPP hurts def but were going to win or lose with eli winning or losing.

23. SparkyGump says: Jun 4, 2013 11:01 AM

Once your back starts going, it’s a downhill spiral. I know from experience. Best wishes, Jason. Get yourself an inversion table before it’s too late.

24. larrydavid7000 says: Jun 4, 2013 11:06 AM

The begin of the end for him.

25. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jun 4, 2013 11:26 AM

nfloracle says: Jun 4, 2013 10:07 AM

————-

You are absolutely correct.

I broke my back in 2007, then, as the last in a series of remedies before finally opting for surgery, I had three epidurals within a month’s time.

The doctor who injected me knew that the disk was ruptured and still did it. Probably made my recovery even longer.

Hopefully, that is not the case for JP.

26. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jun 4, 2013 11:29 AM

You know maybe, just MAYBE he wanted to enjoy his offseason, instead of spending it on the table? That’s not a six month recovery. He’ll be alright by the end of August.

27. justintuckrule says: Jun 4, 2013 12:17 PM

I’m no doctor but I’ve been told by a good orthopedic that it’s smart for players to let their bodies naturally heal first before undergoing surgeries…especially to the back. The wear and tear of a season on the surrounding (healthy) muscles needs to get back to normal first. That’s the big reason for these early summer surgeries.

28. mazblast says: Jun 4, 2013 12:30 PM

I don’t see how holding off makes you “enjoy” your off-season any more than getting it done, going through your rehab, and getting everything over with. Let’s see–walk around knowing I need surgery, probably in pain, knowing the delay isn’t helping the situation, vs. getting the inevitable over with. I’ll take the putting it off for $400, Alex. Right.

By waiting, he’s not allowing any time for the almost inevitable setbacks in recovery and probably not giving himself enough time to get into real football shape. Then, if he has a subpar year, he’ll blame it on the surgery.

29. iceburgskin202 says: Jun 4, 2013 1:15 PM

Hope he has a speedy recovery I’m a Skins fan but have had the utmost respect for JPP after seeing him play live dude is an animal!!!

30. paardenoog says: Jun 4, 2013 2:05 PM

if it is my back I will try some conservative care , like physical therapy ,and rest before I make a more drastic decision like having surgery.

31. outlawjerseywhales says: Jun 4, 2013 3:12 PM

thesteelers says:
    Jun 4, 2013 10:21 AM
    This is why we didn’t draft him.

————————————————–

No. The reason “you (Rooney?)” didn’t draft him is because he was already off the board.

32. opneon says: Jun 4, 2013 3:47 PM

Are all these responses from doctors and surgeons? Otherwsie, YOU don’t know what is going to happen with his carreer – pro or con.
    If it were an ACL or something more specific you could compare to AP or someone, but for now we don’t know enough to make an honoest assessment – so let’s just wish him well and see what happens. Good luck JPP!!!

33. thirdistheworrd says: Jun 4, 2013 4:05 PM

As a Redskins fan, I think JPP is an overrated POS who got dominated by our line last year. As a football fan, he’s an explosive and exciting player who could potentially lay the wood on Romo, and I hope he makes a full recovery. As an athletic trainer, I know this is a bummer for all you NYG fans, but keep in mind that he’s much better off getting surgery now, rather than waiting for an injury to stack on top of his current condition in October; and however long he’s out, it’s worth it, you don’t mess around with backs, they fall apart really easily.

34. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jun 4, 2013 4:16 PM

People who haven’t injured their backs do not understand that even getting to surgery is a process. You can rest and enjoy the time off while you heal, and then go through the consultations, surgery and rehab afterward.

I could see if it were a major injury with multiple disks ruptured and a broken transverse process or two. It’s a 10-12 week complete process.

So yes, he had three months to rest, enjoy the time off and let his body heal. They wouldn’t even let me have surgery until I had been off the weights and not having played basketball for a few weeks.

35. thesteelers says: Jun 4, 2013 4:50 PM

outlawjerseywhales says:
    Jun 4, 2013 3:12 PM

__________________________________

Which speaks to our consistent success. We trade up for great players though.

36. thirdistheworrd says: Jun 4, 2013 5:13 PM

As a Redskins fan, I think JPP is an overrated POS who got dominated by our line last year. As a football fan, he’s an explosive and exciting player who could potentially lay the wood on Romo, and I hope he makes a full recovery. As an athletic trainer, I know this is a bummer for all you NYG fans, but keep in mind that he’s much better off getting surgery no;, rather than waiting for an injury to stack on top of his current condition in October, and however long he’s out, it’s worth it: you don’t mess around with backs, they fall apart really easily.

37. zack2482 says: Jun 4, 2013 8:30 PM

Who did Eli dominate last year? Threw a thousand yards less and went 4 games with throwing a TD. Really, when the defense isn’t there to bail Eli out, the Giants don’t make the playoffs.

38. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jun 4, 2013 8:50 PM

Someone’s inferiority complex is showing… ^^^

39. spedman24 says: Jun 5, 2013 7:26 PM

This guy done. D-O-N-E. Let the circus continue.