Chip Kelly gets DeSean Jackson’s attention with demotion

DeSean Jackson AP

If anyone was wondering about Eagles coach Chip Kelly’s willingness to shake things up, let them wonder no more.

Even beyond speeding up the pace, playing loud music, or getting rid of the tacos, Kelly has been willing to push his new team to make sure his message was being received.

That included making one of his best players, wide receiver DeSean Jackson, run with the third team at times.

“There were times when I was going with the threes, times when I was going with the twos, things like that,” Jackson told Tim McManus of PhillyMag.com. “There was a point where I went into Chip Kelly’s office and talked to him face-to-face to see what was going on with that.”

Kelly told him what he’s said to others, that nothing was going to be given, regardless of previous status.

“He just expects everyone to do things a certain way,” Jackson said. “He was asking everybody to do the same thing. For myself, I just had to really hear it from his mouth to get that rapport with him and be on the same page with him. When I went in there, he said he expects everybody to buy into the system and do everything the right way.

“And if there is any little thing a player doesn’t want to do, that’s his way of reacting to it. The best thing I did was go talk to him instead of just sitting back and being mad.”

Kelly wants his offensive skill players to be versatile, which means knowing everyone else’s assignments as well as their own. When Jackson wasn’t up to speed, Kelly gave him some remedial work.

Jackson admitted that was new to him, since he was given one assignment, and generally executed it well under old coach Andy Reid.

And while he required some time and a talk, he said he supports Kelly’s plan now.

“At the beginning of the process I didn’t know the full offense and I didn’t know every play, so that probably had to do with why I was moved to different teams and things like that,” Jackson said. “Now I am all-in on the offense and I’m very familiar with the whole system. It’s a good thing that I am able to learn that and know what everyone is doing instead of one person. . . .

“Now I’m with the right group and everything is good and there’s never been no problems. I just had to get a feel for [Kelly] and know what he wants and what he expects me to do.”

And Kelly also got the attention of the rest of the locker room by making an example of Jackson, a quick-strike move to establish his authority.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Chip Kelly gets DeSean Jackson’s attention with demotion”
  1. freepretzels says: Jun 4, 2013 11:03 AM

“Run the 9 route, ” said Andy Reid.

“Got it,” DeSean said. “What do I do on the next play?”

“Why don’t you…. run the 9?”

2. granadafan says: Jun 4, 2013 11:08 AM

Glad he accepted this wake up call. Maybe Kelly was also trying to refocus DeSean on football rather than producing rap albums. Another receiver might have sulked and demanded a trade.

3. jdavis20 says: Jun 4, 2013 11:09 AM

Demoting Desean Jackson in June means nothing.

4. dennisund says: Jun 4, 2013 11:11 AM

This is how you manage a player who doesn’t put the team first, not telling him on draft day that his dad is a problem and doesn’t want to deal with him.

5. upperdecker19 says: Jun 4, 2013 11:11 AM

I guess Mr. Kelly is “doing a better job of putting players in a position to succeed……(playing) time’s not yours DJax”

6. skoobyfl says: Jun 4, 2013 11:12 AM

Andy probably had a tape recorder on loop to call plays.

7. blackngold4life says: Jun 4, 2013 11:12 AM

Tomlin needs to take a page from Kelly’s book on this one..reestablish his authority

8. greglloydrules says: Jun 4, 2013 11:13 AM

Ah the Philadelphia Eagles. The NY Jets of the NFC.

9. britishteeth says: Jun 4, 2013 11:18 AM

Ahhh, Kelly is gonna be such a colossal train wreck. Can’t wait to watch this all unfold.

10. kd75 says: Jun 4, 2013 11:19 AM

What’s Kelly got against tacos? He looks like he knows his way around a Taco Bell menu.

Who doesn’t like tacos?

11. daysend564 says: Jun 4, 2013 11:26 AM

Jay-Z will not stand for this insubordination by Kelly!

12. rcali says: Jun 4, 2013 11:27 AM

Don’t worry Desean, Jay-Z will give Kelly an offer he can’t refuse.

13. danielmarcsnyder says: Jun 4, 2013 11:27 AM

“The best thing I did was go talk to him instead of just sitting back and being mad.”

Did Desean Jackson actually say this?!?!

You’re finally becoming a man DJax!!

14. vysethelegend says: Jun 4, 2013 11:30 AM

Even if you aren’t an Eagles fan, I don’t see how you can’t love what Chip is bringing to this team. They needed a shake up, and he’s certainly providing it.

15. reeggss says: Jun 4, 2013 11:34 AM

This a great move, this absolutely means something to that locker. Players will take notice, if some don’t then they will get benched. Lurie obviously recruited chip because he wants him in Philly for the long haul and chips knows this. Benching a player mid season due to attitude is certainly something chip is willing to do and Lurie will certainly support it. Only issue is if the entire team turns on him but I don’t see that happening.

16. torontosbiggestturd says: Jun 4, 2013 11:39 AM

Wow, DeSean must be a real tool. You had to go in and have a face to face talk with him to figure out that he expects all of his players to buy in to the plan? Better wise up DeSean, pretty soon your athleticism won’t be something you can rely on, and you’ll have had no work ethic to support the continuance of your career…. See Chad Ochocinco.

17. cunninghampeetemcnabbvick says: Jun 4, 2013 11:46 AM

This is what was lacking from the Eagles the last few years. Andy Reid became too much of a players coach and without the leadership of players like Dawkins, Trotter and McNabb, he lost control of the locker room.

18. duncanthecat says: Jun 4, 2013 11:49 AM

Jackson simply doesn’t have leadership skills.

Best to show him the backup role, so others can see that not much can and will be expected of him

If he is one of the Eagles best players, they are in trouble.

19. geo1113 says: Jun 4, 2013 11:50 AM

jdavis20 says:
    Jun 4, 2013 11:09 AM
    Demoting Desean Jackson in June means nothing.
    ———————-

Spoken like someone who never had to compete for a position.

20. blackqbwhiterb says: Jun 4, 2013 11:56 AM

New broom sweeps clean!!
    Leadership from Day 1, that’s sometimes how a new coach needs to grab the attention and take charge!!!

I hope they flop miserably, of course, being a Redskins fan, but I love to watch good leadership in action!

21. rxv5854 says: Jun 4, 2013 11:59 AM

Not surprising considering d-jax only knows one route, go long.

Actually he has also mastered the screen pass.

22. eaglesfanalways says: Jun 4, 2013 12:00 PM

So, if Chip Kelly doesn’t have a depth chart, how does he have ‘threes’?

23. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 4, 2013 12:01 PM

DeSean “DeMotion” Jackson.

24. iggles07 says: Jun 4, 2013 12:06 PM

DeSean has largely underachieved for the past several seasons, so really, what does he expect? If you want to be a starter DeSean, you have to earn it every play. You can’t continue to live off the success of your first two seasons in the league.

25. brownspower says: Jun 4, 2013 12:08 PM

I’m impressed. This is the way you get off on the right foot. Chip Kelly and DeSean Jackson both handled this like professionals. What a refreshing change of pace story!

26. ballinmore says: Jun 4, 2013 12:16 PM

Chip’s 3 year NFL internship until he is the head coach at USC is in full swing.

27. rufustfireflyjr says: Jun 4, 2013 12:25 PM

jdavis20 says:
    Jun 4, 2013 11:09 AM
    “Demoting Desean Jackson in June means nothing.

Demoting Desean Jackson in the middle of the regular season is a different story, especially if the Eagles are 2-6 or 3-5. I’d really like to see Chip Kelly bench his best players then, it would mean far more than benching a guy in OTA’s in June.”

Maybe if he does it now, he won’t have to do it then.

28. justintuckrule says: Jun 4, 2013 12:25 PM

Another college coach in way over his head. I expect a full on revolt by week 7 when they’re 2-5.

29. vaphinfan says: Jun 4, 2013 12:41 PM

Desean sure does say “I” an awful lot in those quotes.

30. whatjusthapped says: Jun 4, 2013 12:47 PM

Kelly is good for maybe one or two seasons before he gets totally frustrated with the fact that these are pros and he is a college coach.

Then its back to campus, just like Saban. In the meantime, the Eagles squander another two seasons in hell.

31. packerbackernj says: Jun 4, 2013 1:02 PM

Wanting to start his rap career, running with the 3s…i’ll definitely be drafting this stud in fantasy football this year.

32. jaredo10 says: Jun 4, 2013 1:12 PM

hes just motivating the guy. I smell big plays for #10 this season. Dont hate appreciate Haterssss

33. xinellum says: Jun 4, 2013 1:20 PM

I love it when those who think they are privileged and above everyone else to have their balloons burst and made to realize noone is above the system. Now if Kelly did something about Cary Williams then I would really be impressed. Would serve him right to be sent packing.

34. thesteelers says: Jun 4, 2013 2:09 PM

I still cannot believe the Eagles had a “taco day”. Andy Reid is, well, a walrus.

35. tdk24 says: Jun 4, 2013 2:46 PM

Oh my god, the dysfunction! I can’t believe they would do that.
    Oh, wait, i’m not the media…carry on.

36. thenew013 says: Jun 4, 2013 3:22 PM

new slaves.

37. jimiinpa says: Jun 4, 2013 3:27 PM

Ah the Philadelphia Eagles. The NY Jets of the NFC.———-I think that title goes to Dallas , but Philly is a close second

38. phillycannon says: Jun 4, 2013 3:32 PM

im trying to see where the demotion happend! Can anyone tell me?

Stop reading headlines and read the story.

39. 8to80texansblog says: Jun 4, 2013 3:56 PM

jimiinpa says:
    Jun 4, 2013 3:27 PM

=================

Dallas definitely = Jets of the NFC

40. bobonmycob says: Jun 4, 2013 4:36 PM

So when Chip does well as a head coach and proves he is a football genius how many of you will come here and eat crow? Probably none of you because any anti-chip message is said by trolls that live under their sad little bridge.

41. jam111632013 says: Jun 4, 2013 5:11 PM

hey d-jax. dont sweat it, we talking about practice. practice man. not a game. we talking about practice.
    yours truely.
    alan iverson…..

42. morencsarecoming says: Jun 4, 2013 11:33 PM

This kid has been trouble wherever he has played. We didn’t want him at USC.

Is there any wonder why he is called “MeSean”?

43. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jun 5, 2013 4:29 PM

Kelly still thinks he is coaching college dudes. This is the NFL and there are these things called contracts. It’s a business.

Jackson knows they they will have to play him so a demotion in OTAs is a joke to him.

Duck dynasty has arrived in philly. Enjoy the show!