Giants put Pierre-Paul’s recovery time at 12 weeks

Jason Pierre-Paul AP

The Giants have confirmed our report from this morning about defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul’s back surgery, and they’ve pegged his recovery time at around 12 weeks.

In a story posted at the team’s official website, Pierre-Paul said efforts to manage the problem weren’t working, so the decision was made to have surgery.

“My back has been bothering me for a while, and even last season I played through some back issues,” Pierre-Paul said. “The treatment I’ve been doing has helped manage the issue, but this procedure is going to get me fully healthy and there should be no more pain. I’m going to do everything the doctors tell me to do during my rehab so I can be back playing the game I love at a high level as quickly as possible.”

The microdiscetomy (which we’re told went well, with a complete recovery expected) was performed by Dr. Robert Watkins, the same doctor who will perform surgery on Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski.

“Jason has been experiencing lower back pain that past couple months,” said Ronnie Barnes, Giants senior vice president of medical dervices. “He has managed the discomfort with treatment and core strengthening exercises. Last week, he was examined by Drs. Russell Warren and Frank Cammisa at the Hospital for Special Surgery. Both felt this procedure was the most prudent course of action. Dr. Watkins, after examining Jason yesterday, agreed. We expect a full and complete recovery.”

Now that everyone agrees a full recovery is expected, the timeline becomes a concern, since 12 weeks puts him close to the start of the regular season.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Giants put Pierre-Paul’s recovery time at 12 weeks”
  1. whatnojets says: Jun 4, 2013 1:35 PM

Doubt he will see action in week 1 and 2

2. scoops1 says: Jun 4, 2013 1:37 PM

Guess we won’t be seeing him hanging around the Jersey Shore this summer

3. mcurley7389 says: Jun 4, 2013 1:43 PM

Guy is a freak. Will be less than 10 weeks before he is back dominating fat linemen. SuperBowl will be coming back to Big Blue

4. surfinbird1 says: Jun 4, 2013 1:44 PM

Better hope that it’s not the same sawbones that did Gronks’ arm.

5. bradyx21 says: Jun 4, 2013 1:52 PM

Had the same surgery at Hospital for Special Surgery. Recovered fully and back to high school football practice in 3 months. He’ll be fine.

6. eaglessuperfan says: Jun 4, 2013 2:03 PM

Tough recovery for a tall guy who makes a living bent over, then explodes upwards. Best of luck

7. justintuckrule says: Jun 4, 2013 2:16 PM

bradyx21 says:
    Jun 4, 2013 1:52 PM
    —————-
    That’s comforting. Especially since high school football practice is much more rigorous than NFL practices these days. (I’m being serious and not sarcastic.)

8. pnut87 says: Jun 4, 2013 2:36 PM

Just don’t throw back enough alcohol to get the medications drunk. Learn from Gronk.

9. sinestrojoe says: Jun 4, 2013 3:26 PM

I don’t understand why these guys wait to have surgery…GO G-MEN!!!!!

10. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jun 4, 2013 3:52 PM

Sounds about right. I opined that he would be back around the end of August. First hand experience with a transverse process fracture, ruptured disk and a herniated separate disk put me at 3-4 months before I could touch weights or play any contact sports. Don’t know the severity of his, though.

11. sportsfan18 says: Jun 4, 2013 4:08 PM

No, he won’t. Even if he plays in week 1, he won’t be as effective, won’t be in as good of game shape as he should be in etc… He won’t be able to play as many snaps either. Then halfway through the year or so he’ll say I probably should have waited a few more weeks before playing, but I wanted to be there for my team, to help out. If he really wanted to be there for his team, he would have had this surgery in Feb.

12. sanjose61 says: Jun 4, 2013 5:21 PM

I guess this was predictable.

JPP probably hurt his back carrying Prince Amukamara on his shoulder during all those “visits” to the whirlpool bath.

13. 6sbtitles2sweet says: Jun 4, 2013 5:56 PM

I know 1 thing. These pro athletes that have back surgeries and go back to playing pro sports are NUTS, TOTALLY OUT OF THEIR MINDS!!!!! There’s no way, being as young as they are and going under the knife on their back, I would go back to pro sports. Go find something else to do, wth! You’ll end up like Earl Campbell but you’ll be 25 yrrs old, crazy!

14. multiplemiggs says: Jun 4, 2013 6:19 PM

giants suck

15. mazblast says: Jun 4, 2013 6:36 PM

————————————
    Whatever “medical dervices” are. I assume you meant “medical services”.

Now I’m confused. First we were told that the reason JPP had a comparatively poor year in 2012 was his back woes. This does not explain why he waited so long to take action. Now we’re told it’s only been a problem for the last couple of months.

Which is it? Was the back an issue during the season, and he waited too long to get it fixed? Or is it a new problem, which doesn’t explain his 2012 performance?

16. lakermetskins says: Jun 4, 2013 8:13 PM

As a redskin fan, I should retaliate as many giants fans had towards RG3. I should say things like:

“I hope his spine cracks in half” or, “I hope his career is done” or, “Jason Pierre- Vertebrae”, or “J-PUP”.

Get better JPP!!

17. patriotenvy says: Jun 5, 2013 1:38 PM

“…and there should be no more pain…”
    Note as a Patriot fan, but I just can’t help but say… until you are old and have put on an extra 100 lbs or so. When what is left of the discs starts moving out. Sorry, but if not there are two words of medicine for classes, which i don’t doubt either.

18. giantsfan2104 says: Jun 5, 2013 4:20 PM

@lakermetskins

“But we Redskins fans have class and won’t stoop to such ignorant levels to wish career ending harm on an opponents player, however hated.”
    ===================================

I’ll admit it, I’ve seen a LOT of disgusting comments from my fellow fans regarding RG3′s knee, (Hoping he makes a full recovery) and kudos to you for not going there with JPP’s back, but I call BS.

When Hynoski was carted off the field with a torn MCL, these were responses from Skins fans:

“So after the Giants get blown out twice by the Redskins again, this will be one of the excuses.”

“Good. I hope all 53 giants need season ending surgery. Just can’t wait for Cruz to get Terrell Thomas-ed/Steve Smith-ed, and blows his career while the Mara’s continue to penny pinch. Classless franchise. So lucky to win that last SB, everything broke their way.”

“Did they transport him to get the knee looked at in a WAAAAAmbulance?? So begins the karma snap-back for mara and god-dell screwing the skins and cows out of cap space. Suck it!”

Again, props to you for not going there, but your statement isn’t entirely true.