Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew has yet to talk to police regarding the incident that still could result in battery charges. He has, however, spoken to his employer.
NFL Network had reported that Jones-Drew would meet with police on Friday, May 31. Jones-Drew’s lawyer has since said no meeting ever was scheduled.
Regardless, if there’s clear video evidence of MJD dropping the security guard at the Conch House in St. Augustine like a sack of Soda Popinski, it won’t matter whether MJD says anything to the cops.
Jones-Drew most likely would not be subject to any league discipline until the criminal case is resolved with some finding that he did something he shouldn’t have done.
It’s unclear whether the incident will affect Jones-Drew’s future with the team. Caldwell previously told PFT Live that the team won’t address Jones-Drew’s long-term status until after the season, when his current contract expires.
Between last year’s holdout and this year’s distraction (regardless of his guilt or innocence), it could take a huge year from Jones-Drew to persuade the Jaguars to continue the relationship into 2014.