Johnny Jolly says he hasn’t taken codeine in 19 months

Johnny Jolly AP

It had been three years since Johnny Jolly last stepped onto a football field with the Green Bay Packers. That changed Tuesday as Jolly once again stepped on the practice field with the Packers for the team’s mini-camp.

Trouble with drugs (mainly codeine) led to a suspension from the league and jail time for the Packers defensive tackle. He hasn’t played in an NFL game since the 2009 season and still faces an uphill climb to return to game action. But one major change in Jolly’s life has improved the chances of him being able to return to the league.

According to Lori Nickel of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Jolly said Tuesday he hasn’t had codeine in 19 months.

“I haven’t had no codeine in almost two years,” said Jolly. “Probably 19 months. My body feels great. I feel good, ready to play.”

Jolly was arrested twice for possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute as police found 200 and 600 grams of codeine, respectively, in Jolly’s possession in two separate incidents. He was sentenced to six years in prison but released just six months later.

He entered rehabilitation and cleaned up his life before being reinstated by the league in February.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
29 Responses to “Johnny Jolly says he hasn’t taken codeine in 19 months”
  1. tommccrossin says: Jun 4, 2013 11:23 PM

Really hoping this rehabilitation sticks. Whether he can make the team again or not.

2. basexc9 says: Jun 4, 2013 11:30 PM

So if he “hadn’t had no” codeine in 19 months, I guess that means he actually has had codeine?

3. rabbi187 says: Jun 4, 2013 11:31 PM

From 6 years to 6 months. Wow.

4. broncosllbuckya says: Jun 4, 2013 11:36 PM

this headline says it all. Oh, and I apparently need a job.

5. kevo126 says: Jun 4, 2013 11:41 PM

“I haven’t had no codeine in almost two years,”

6. earpaniac says: Jun 4, 2013 11:49 PM

It absolutely amazes me that any NFL team would give this idiot, basically a drug dealer by his charges, a chance.

7. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 4, 2013 11:51 PM

There were times when Johnny was so low he contemplated suicide. But he didn’t want to be immortalized as Johnny Jolly Jumper.

8. jayniner says: Jun 4, 2013 11:54 PM

You know this guy is clean and serious when he remembers almost to the day he last had codeine…..

Congrats…..yeah, It’s a dangerously addictive and fun drug.

9. jimmysee says: Jun 4, 2013 11:58 PM

Go Johnny Go!

It’s been a long road back.

We’re pulling for you!

Hope this works for you.

(And some friendly advice — stay the heck out of Houston. Nothing there for you but trouble.)

10. matthewcarlson1 says: Jun 5, 2013 12:04 AM

he hasn’t taken codeine in 19 months knowingly.

11. adoombray says: Jun 5, 2013 12:11 AM

“it is kind of funny that this guy is going to make a lot of money this year while i slave away at my cubicle.”

It’s kinda (not at all) funny that there are homeless people who would LOVE to “slave away at a cubicle”.

Someone ALWAYS has it worse than you and your insecurities about your wage have nothing to do with football.

12. jsam8505 says: Jun 5, 2013 12:11 AM

I’m from the Houston same as J jolly, I see the dude out in the clubs some times, much more humble person now. Kudos to you my man good luck on you come back.

13. chi01town says: Jun 5, 2013 12:47 AM

They dont pass out codeine in JAIL.
    Jolly is still a junkie and the packers know it. they just wanna try to get something for nothing.

14. hedleykow says: Jun 5, 2013 1:27 AM

No kidding? No codeine in 19 months? That beats my record by … 19 months.

15. squared80 says: Jun 5, 2013 1:39 AM

Just proof for the blind faith Packer fans that Green Bay is just like any other team. Don’t get all high and mighty about ‘high character’ players when you have a handful on your roster that prove otherwise, including Mr. Jolly.

16. contra74 says: Jun 5, 2013 1:40 AM

See you in week 3 of the regular season fat boy

17. myosin10 says: Jun 5, 2013 3:35 AM

An addict is always an addict, an alcoholic is always an alcoholic. It’s a disease that they have to battle daily. 19 months is a long time for an addict to be clean. I’m proud of you Jolly. Make the team and get into the pro bowl buddy. Show these ignorant people who apparently have never had an issue in their lives before that addicts can clean up and contribute.

The intent to sell is a joke. Dude was a millionaire and he had a bunch of codeine because he was able to buy that much. I doubt he was selling. Get that silver spoon out of your butts and give this guy a chance he is working hard every day to turn his life around.

18. thedoubleentandres says: Jun 5, 2013 4:38 AM

and will be legally changing his name to Johnny Serious

19. Iknoweverything says: Jun 5, 2013 5:57 AM

Bravo Mr. Jolley!! We are so proud of you. You deserve a statue in your honor.

BTW, I have not abused codeine in my over 40 years of existence. Do I get a round of applause?

Stay classy Packers

20. purplepride74 says: Jun 5, 2013 6:26 AM

I think it’s great that the packers are giving him a chance to turn it around.

21. whatjusthapped says: Jun 5, 2013 6:54 AM

In all probability, he doesn’t make the roster. How many players have taken 3 years off and made a successful comeback? None that I can think of.

His only shot is with the Vikings to sign him once he gets cut. They love ex-Packers, especially those ex-Packers on the downside of their career. He’ll have to move to Minnesota and play in a 2nd rate stadium but still its the NFL.

22. johnnyb216 says: Jun 5, 2013 6:59 AM

Gabbert,
    That was one of the absolute lamest attempts at hummor that I’ve ever seen. Your jokes suck…

23. stellarperformance says: Jun 5, 2013 7:09 AM

There have been seven stories involving the Packers since the last Viking related story, and it was about a punter no longer on their team.

There is your example of relevancy in the NFL.

24. GenXJay says: Jun 5, 2013 7:35 AM

Call it a wash as a cheese stuffed brat wrapped in flannel.
    Pfizerjobs.com
    Get one as a sales rep, Jolly.

25. mightymightylafootball says: Jun 5, 2013 8:23 AM

“I haven’t had no codeine in almost two years,” said Jolly. “Probably 19 months”

*golf clap*

Is that a fact, Mr. Jolly? Well, I’ve never been an addict at all, but you don’t hear me bragging about it.

‘Not screwing up recently’ is not the threshold for being awesome. Color me unimpressed.

26. amaf21 says: Jun 5, 2013 12:15 PM

well i haven’t had no codeine in 10 years. so there.

27. Frazier28/7 says: Jun 5, 2013 2:09 PM

He also hasn’t dealt with the physical abuse his body will take from playing in the NFL in 3-4 years. That’s a big part of what lead to the codeine in the first place, but if Brett Favre can handle his demons maybe this guy can too.

Always support an addict trying to recover from themselves no matter what team or whatever else they are affiliated with.

28. mackstrong2013 says: Jun 6, 2013 2:36 AM

You know your D-line is strong when. It is a nice coincidence though. Roughly same amount of time since the Packers held a team under 100 yards rushing.

29. cornerblitz says: Jun 6, 2013 4:43 PM