Kenny Phillips: I want to be smart about my knee

Philadelphia Eagles v New York Giants Getty Images

Word around the Eagles last week was that safety Kenny Phillips would be participating in the team’s minicamp this week after missing most of the team’s recent OTAs in order to rest his oft-injured right knee.

Those reports were proven correct on Tuesday when Phillips joined his Eagles teammates on the field for practice. Phillips, who left the Giants as a free agent this offseason, said that he didn’t feel like he’s fallen behind when it comes to comprehending a new defense and insisted that his absences have been cautionary rather than the result of any current issue with his knee.

“I had a few days off and I feel good,” Phillips said, via the team’s website. “This is something I’ve been doing the last two years and I’m not going to change it. Even though I feel good, I want to be smart. We get a lot of reps out here every day and to get out there and keep running and running and running … I’m not going to push it. I know what works for my knee so that I’m good for training camp and the season.”

Phillips is certainly right that there’s no reason to push things too far in May, but his confident words about the knee won’t do much to ease concerns that the knee will continue to be a problem for him come the regular season.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Kenny Phillips: I want to be smart about my knee”
  1. blitzinc43 says: Jun 4, 2013 4:05 PM

Such a player when healthy.

2. jam111632013 says: Jun 4, 2013 4:16 PM

good news. im excited about all these new changes and can not wait for this season.

3. logicailvoicesays says: Jun 4, 2013 4:42 PM

Monday Night Football opener

Redskins 42 Eagles 0

4. seankp822 says: Jun 4, 2013 4:43 PM

he was a good pick up… low risk high reward, if he pans out. I wanted philly to draft this guy to begin with.

5. yousuxxors says: Jun 4, 2013 4:47 PM

amazing when healthy but that knee will get hurt around week 5

6. n0hopeleft says: Jun 4, 2013 5:01 PM

The Giants were smart about your knee by offering you no guaranteed money.

7. captainwisdom8888 says: Jun 4, 2013 5:03 PM

It may sound a bit outrageous, but I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if Kenny Philips doesn’t even make the 53-man roster. When you hear people begin to evaluate what Phillips can do, they almost always start with the word “IF”. Theres no sense in committing to a player with alot of “ifs” surrounding him, a player who in all likelihood will not be healthy enough to endure 16 games.

Patrick Chung and Nate Allen are both locks. Kurt Coleman struggled at times, but I believe that was more significantly due to the overall defensive struggles as a team. Coleman is a feisty and fearless tackler and has no qualms about sticking his nose in every pile…and he even had a 3 INT game against the Skins’. Lastly, I’m hearing that the Eagles are really high on rookie safety Earl Wolff, who supposedly can do it all, while also displaying a high character and work ethic. Phillips better be ready to get to work if he wants to stay employed.

8. jam111632013 says: Jun 4, 2013 5:20 PM

when he sticks his hat on rg the terds knee, than its season over.

9. roadtrip3500 says: Jun 4, 2013 5:51 PM

Didn’t we see this a couple of years ago? Giants player with good upside but poor injury history declines Giants’ “prove it” contract offer and takes Eagles’ free agency money.

The Giants’ medical staff was proven right with Steve Smith. If KP goes down for any length of time, they’ll be 2 for 2.

10. bgm9876 says: Jun 4, 2013 6:23 PM

that would be smart for RG3. could you tell RG3 that?

11. The Shoeman says: Jun 4, 2013 6:47 PM

Looks good for the Birds.

Going to be real funny , when they don’t finish last, in NFC East after 1 year of rebuilding.

Going to be real funny , for the team that does !

gettin’ ready to ROFLMAO @ Skins or C boys

12. The Shoeman says: Jun 4, 2013 6:57 PM

logicailvoicesays says: Jun 4, 2013 4:42 PM

Monday Night Football opener

Redskins 42 Eagles 0

———————————————————–

Pretty bad when Vick can do that to you:
    Michael Vick’s historic night vs. Redskins

Vick became the first player in NFL history with at least 300 yards passing, 50 yards rushing, four passing touchdowns and two rushing touchdowns in a game.

Doesn’t matter, with 2 Wild Card wins in 20 years,
    nobody care about you LOSERS !

Skins = totally invisible in the NFC East for over 20 years.

Never had it / Never will !

13. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jun 5, 2013 4:03 PM

“Get out there on that knee Phillips. It’s football.”
    Sincerely, Mike Shanahan