Ed Reed: I want to make sure I’m around later in the season

Obama Welcomes Super Bowl Champion Baltimore Ravens To White House Getty Images

Ed Reed joined his former Ravens teammates at the White House on Wednesday and was the subject of some ribbing from President Obama about his gray hair.

Comments about Reed’s age can’t help but draw attention to the fact that he’s recovering from hip surgery that Texans owner Bob McNair said may keep him out for the first couple of weeks of training camp. Reed was asked about his recovery on Wednesday and said he planned to be on the field for the start of the regular season, but cautioned he wouldn’t risk further injury to get back on the field for that game.

“I plan on being back for Week 1,” Reed said, via the Ravens website. “But as you’ve known me for the longest time, I’m going to be smart about my injuries and make sure I’m there for the later part of the season when the team really needs me.”

It’s only the first week of June, which is to say that is it way too early to start talking about Reed missing any part of the regular season. Should he not be ready to go by the middle of training camp date set out by McNair, that’s a different story and one that could put Reed at risk of missing a date with the Ravens in Week Three.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
16 Responses to “Ed Reed: I want to make sure I’m around later in the season”
  1. logicalvoicesays says: Jun 5, 2013 3:39 PM

The best safety to ever come out of the U is called Sean Taylor. #Notevenclose

2. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Jun 5, 2013 3:40 PM

Well u moved outta Baltimorgue, so you should be about 99% more safe!!

3. 8to80texansblog says: Jun 5, 2013 3:58 PM

logicalvoicesays says: Jun 5, 2013 3:39 PM

The best safety to ever come out of the U is called Sean Taylor. #Notevenclose
    ==========================
    #false

Ed Reed still holds Miami records for most career interceptions, most career interception return yards, and most interception return TDs.

Sean Taylor was a burning hot flame that was extinguishes too early but he’s not Ed Reed.

4. ampatsisahypocrite says: Jun 5, 2013 3:59 PM

Apparently Reed was so upset that Flacco was the one to collect the big money after being totally carried by the team, he left the team muttering “we did all the work, why did Flacco get shown the money?”

5. packerbackernj says: Jun 5, 2013 4:08 PM

Sean Taylor was over rated and only remembered because he was shot young. On the field he was a good player with a tendency to land late hits. Sad story, but let’s call a spade a spade.

6. jtbaudendistel says: Jun 5, 2013 4:18 PM

Love how the attention hungry ego maniac Ray Ray made his way into the photo with Ed and Obama. Go away Ray

7. mazblast says: Jun 5, 2013 4:22 PM

The President is on someone else about gray hair?

8. tombradyswig says: Jun 5, 2013 4:39 PM

yep, Ray’s like “dont forget me bama” slidin up into the pic!!

9. timbuttrum says: Jun 5, 2013 5:32 PM

Stop with the Taylor/Reed comments. I’m a die hard Skins fan and loved watching Taylor play, but he, or any other safety in league history can’t compare to Reed. Reed, IMO, is the best ever to play his position considering the range he has and what he could do after making the pick.

10. notwithkubiak says: Jun 5, 2013 5:53 PM

This guy is the 2013 Texans version of Tony Boselli. Good going Gary K….

11. bigwinintx says: Jun 5, 2013 6:16 PM

Take your time coming back, we need Ed Reed for the long haul, not the first half.

We saw enough of that stuff last season..

12. ninerfan81 says: Jun 5, 2013 6:29 PM

Ed Reed looks like he’s about 47 years old but he beat my Niners fair and square and I’m glad he was able to get a ring before retiring, what an amazing career, he has video game statistics. He doesn’t have many peers over the last 10 years… Polamalu, Dawkins, and Woodson are probably the only comparable players but not even their takeaway stats quite measure up.

13. nfloracle says: Jun 5, 2013 7:07 PM

Those guys sure can fill $1,000 suits!

14. paulhart28 says: Jun 5, 2013 10:05 PM

Sean Taylor was 6’3 240 ran a 4.4 in my opinion he would have been the greatest saftey to play the game

15. majormeatcurtains says: Jun 6, 2013 2:10 AM

Sit out the season until the playoffs idiot. That MIGHT work. Oh right, you;ll never sniff the playoffs again.

16. jason49er says: Jun 6, 2013 7:20 AM

notwithkubiak says:
    Jun 5, 2013 5:53 PM

This guy is the 2013 Texans version of Tony Boselli. Good going Gary K….

—————————————————————

I was going to compare him to Ahman Green actually, but close enough.