Ayanbadejo wants to keep playing, accepts he may not

Super Bowl XLVII - Baltimore Ravens v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

Three months after the Ravens cut him, Brendon Ayanbadejo remains unsigned. And he’s starting to accept that his NFL career may be over.

Ayanbadejo told USA Today that he’s still hoping some team will invite him to training camp, but that he’s ready to move on to the next phase in his life if that invitation never comes.

“Either way, I’m happy with it,” Ayanbadejo said. “If someone needs a linebacker, I’m ready to go. And if not, well, then I’m ready to do the things I haven’t had the time to do before. There is a lot of life left to be lived.”

When Ayanbadejo spoke in favor of legalizing same-sex marriage in Maryland last year, he was criticized by a Maryland state delegate and found himself becoming a spokesman for equality. Ayanbadejo sounds prepared to leave football and to get more involved in politics.

“I graduated college in ’99 and I’m going on 37,” Ayanbadejo said. “For a guy in my field, I’ve done everything you can do in the NFL. There’s no need to cry for me.”

If Ayanbadejo’s career is over, it’s been a long and honorable one.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
12 Responses to “Ayanbadejo wants to keep playing, accepts he may not”
  1. thisonesforpat says: Jun 6, 2013 7:01 AM

Denver?

2. rajbais says: Jun 6, 2013 7:19 AM

That’s why him doing his MBA at George Washington University was a good idea. He now has a backup plan to his career.

3. oshp1205 says: Jun 6, 2013 7:24 AM

Agree or disagree with him. I respect a person that stands up for what they believe and not be afraid of what others say our do. I can’t stand out when a person stands for nothing. I can respect you and not have to agree with you.

4. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Jun 6, 2013 7:44 AM

I hear the alphabet would like some of its letters back. That would be a great place to start Brendon!

5. daringanttsux says: Jun 6, 2013 8:10 AM

He’s 37?? I thought he was like 28. He’s not gonna get on a team again lol

6. ninerfan81 says: Jun 6, 2013 8:11 AM

He might be viewed as a pioneer down the line when football starts recognizing everyone as equal regardless of who they decide to wake up to in the morning. Not too long ago the issue was race, now its sex, he’s a leader regardless. He’s right, 14 years is an amazing ride. Kudos on that MBA too.

7. annapterp says: Jun 6, 2013 8:54 AM

About to be 37 years old and had a bad year last year. He’s a LB but more of a special teams guy. Tough to continue in the NFL as a 37 year old special teamer. Had a great run though and has a ring.

8. squapity says: Jun 6, 2013 9:12 AM

People have actually clicked ‘”Thumbs Down” for the dude getting his MBA?

9. patfic15 says: Jun 6, 2013 10:11 AM

I wouldn’t characterize BA as a pioneer. Just a mouthpiece.

10. 16x8equal49ers says: Jun 6, 2013 10:17 AM

Best way to retire, fresh championship ring.

11. giantsfanlewis says: Jun 6, 2013 11:20 AM

Ill give him respect for not coming out and whining about not being on a team like that punter from minn. I hope he gets to continue his career but at 37 that’s a tough spot. Good luck

12. bookofelisha10 says: Jun 6, 2013 1:41 PM

trust me noones crying for you lol were happy we dont have to hear your nonsense agenda any longer