Brandon Marshall: Work isn’t “dreadful” this year

Brandon Marshall AP

All last year, Bears quarterback Jay Cutler swore he was fine with offensive coordinator Mike Tice.

And vice versa.

Somebody might have been less than honest, because their co-workers sensed a negative work environment.

According to John Mullin of CSNChicago.com, backup quarterback Josh McCown became a go-between for Cutler and Tice last year, and wide receiver Brandon Marshall suggested that the strain made it hard to punch the clock each day.

“I was just talking to McCown this morning and one of the things we said is it’s so cool to come to work where it’s not one of those things where it’s dreadful,” Marshall said. “And it’s not just coach [Marc] Trestman and the new guys here. It’s just the organization, period. When you could come in and just do what you’re supposed to do and you don’t have to worry about all of the other fluff and the business side of things, it’s cool.”

While short on specifics, Marshall indicated that Trestman and offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer have their attention, and that he’s never been happier in an offense.

“I’m ecstatic,” Marshall said. “I’ve never been around better coaches. Lovie [Smith]: amazing coach, amazing man. Coach [Mike] Shanahan: amazing coach, one of the gurus of the game. Josh McDaniels: One of the gurus on offense. But what we have here in coach Kromer and coach Trestman, their leadership on offense is amazing. I’ve never been around it.”

Of course, Trestman and Kromer have also never lost a game in Chicago.

When that happens, and it inevitably will, we’ll see if Marshall remains as happy as he is now.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
41 Responses to “Brandon Marshall: Work isn’t “dreadful” this year”
  1. tokyosandblaster says: Jun 6, 2013 4:25 PM

Making millions of dollars to play a game should never be dreadful.

Real winner here.

2. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 6, 2013 4:27 PM

“Coach Kromer and coach Trestman: Gurus of peace and harmony. Everything is blissful…ommmmmmm….”.

3. noose18 says: Jun 6, 2013 4:30 PM

Second best in the league. Third if Larry wasn’t in zona ..

4. pacopicopiedra says: Jun 6, 2013 4:36 PM

He forgot to say, “Coach Sparano, one of the gurus of celebrating the fifteen yard field goal…”

5. gbmickey says: Jun 6, 2013 4:36 PM

Too bad they still have the coach killer quitler to create a divide as soon as things don’t go his way. Should not take too long.

6. prideof10000lakes says: Jun 6, 2013 4:43 PM

tokyosandblaster says:
    Jun 6, 2013 4:25 PM
    Making millions of dollars to play a game should never be dreadful.

Real winner here.

________

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I agree with you, Tokyosandblaster.

Vikes rule bears drool.

7. inphinitejest says: Jun 6, 2013 4:52 PM

They left out the part where he said Tony Sparano was a great meatball.

8. Norseman says: Jun 6, 2013 5:03 PM

Enjoy it while it lasts, Brandon. After a disappointing year ending with your man Cutler getting bagged, things will be a little tougher.

9. annes22 says: Jun 6, 2013 5:05 PM

Wait until Brandon drops a few passes, or he doesn’t get the ball from Cutler, then you will hear the real person talking. There is no way everything will be perfect.

10. footstepsfalco says: Jun 6, 2013 5:08 PM

what, no love for sparano?

11. jojopuppyfish says: Jun 6, 2013 5:38 PM

The only reason I agree with Cutler and Marshall is because its been dreadful to watch their offenses.
    Personally before Cutler went down 2 years ago, I think they were finally grovin’ under martz

12. deacon75 says: Jun 6, 2013 5:46 PM

Have been watching the Bears for a LONG LONG time,, Jay CUTLER by far the most talented QB the Bears have had since Sid Luckman ..

CUTLER has not had an O LINE … and last year finally was provided a single WR ..

Marshall trade has been a STEAL, Brandon is loved by Chicago because he really wants to win and plays VERY Hard …

BEAR DOWN ///

13. bmoreravens1012013 says: Jun 6, 2013 5:46 PM

I can’t wait to hear his opinion when they miss the playoffs…..lol

14. polarbear71 says: Jun 6, 2013 5:52 PM

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I agree with you, Tokyosandblaster.

Vikes rule bears drool.

——————

You vikes have a running back, that’s ALL you have the rest of the team is a college team at best.

15. nflhof says: Jun 6, 2013 5:58 PM

What’s going to be interesting is how will
    Jay Cutler end up with the new coaching staff when the season is done.

16. baselman1974 says: Jun 6, 2013 6:09 PM

Worked for the Chicago Bulls when Phil Jackson took over as HC. Maybe lightning strike twice.

Also Mike Tice showed he was incompetent when he didn’t use Forte in screens, and kept Webb, Rachal, and Carimi on that awful line. God how I hated Tice. Cutler had been sacked for almost 113 times in 3 years, and that’s including he missed 6 games 2011. This is not counting the hits he has taken as well. Tice deserved to be fired.

17. filthymcnasty1 says: Jun 6, 2013 6:12 PM

I wonder if the Bears will suffer another dreadful season ending slide to miss the playoffs. They’re getting pretty good at that.

18. whodey18 says: Jun 6, 2013 6:22 PM

We will see how well your offense play against my team’s defense come week 1!!!!

19. chi01town says: Jun 6, 2013 6:36 PM

Defense in Chicago is a constant so everybody knows the Bears will be in the top 5, but if Trestmen can make the offense better the playoffs will be a given.

20. gbmickey says: Jun 6, 2013 6:56 PM

Nothing is a given, you being a Bear fan should realize that. I predict with the new coaches the defense will drop off dramatically.

21. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 6, 2013 7:34 PM

If a coach named Rajnip Mooderkanawarri comes into the league will they dare to call him a “guru”.

22. plainolepain says: Jun 6, 2013 7:36 PM

I think it’s only fair someone and it should be the Packers have to hire Lovie next year in NFC North. It’s only right they have incompetent coach for 9 years now sorry McCarthy you’re too smart.

23. tjq86 says: Jun 6, 2013 7:50 PM

one of the best wr’s in the game, go bears!!!!

24. ososrule says: Jun 6, 2013 8:32 PM

I love to see Marshall posts on here, all the trolls from the vikings and fudgepackers come on here and desperately try to knock the best WR in the NFC (and yes I truly believe he is the best over C. Johnson) The display of negativity shows the fear towards the Bears rapidly improving team….Go BEARS!!!

25. madscientistdave says: Jun 6, 2013 8:38 PM

All these negative comments… the man had the best career as a receiver in franchise HISTORY with Mike freakin’ TICE as his offensive coordinator. He’s trying to be politically correct here, don’t read too much into his comments (other than the fact that he’s jacked to have an actual offensive coordinator and a head coach who knows that offense isn’t an “oh, yeah, we should probably do something there” proposition in today’s NFL).

26. raiderapologist says: Jun 6, 2013 9:29 PM

If nothing else, it appears Marshall’s meds are working.

27. larryboodry says: Jun 6, 2013 9:54 PM

Lovie and Tice WERE dreadful last year, and yet the Bears still went 10-6, with Marshall having a career year…The defense was Top 5 with 4 Pro Bowlers.

I realize that it is unusual for first-year coaches to do well, but then again, you rarely see first-year coaches inherit 10-6 teams. With the upgrades the Bears have made on offense this off-season, I see them equaling or surpassing that 10-6 mark in 2013.

28. GenXJay says: Jun 6, 2013 10:05 PM

So, what this is conveying is that Brandon is a perfect fit for CFL &/or Arena Football.

29. cafesmitty says: Jun 6, 2013 10:55 PM

Haven’t we heard the same old song and dance from Brandon Marshall everywhere he has gone too? In fact we heard how happy he was last year JUST to be off the Dolphins. We heard how happy he was to get traded TO the Dolphins.
    So it is the same old, same old from Brandon Marshall.

30. tokyosandblaster says: Jun 7, 2013 12:56 AM

ososrule says:
    Jun 6, 2013 8:32 PM

—-

You kind of lose all credibility when you say that Brandon Marshall is anywhere CLOSE to Calvin Johnson.

I hate the lions as much as most people hate the Vikings, but you have to recognize talent that is truly above and beyond.

31. ososrule says: Jun 7, 2013 3:16 PM

@toykosandtard

It’s a matter of opinion and that’s where I stand. I would rather have Marshall than Johnson. Credibility has nothing to do with conflicting opinions….

32. larryboodry says: Jun 7, 2013 3:22 PM

@tokyo:

Would I say Marshall is better than CJ? No. But is he anywhere close? Most definitely.

33. larryboodry says: Jun 7, 2013 3:27 PM

And, like ososrule, Marshall’s the guy I prefer to have on my team, because he did more to help the Bears win than CJ did to help the Lions win.

34. ososrule says: Jun 7, 2013 3:36 PM

My top 5 WR’s in the (current) NFL:

1. B. Marshall
    2. C. Johnson
    3. L. Fitzgerald
    4. Julio Jones
    5. A.J. Green

@ larryboodry

Exactly, that’s mainly why I consider him better and prefer him over Johnson. Cutler and Marshall is way more sound than Cutler with Johnson or Marshall with Stafford……

35. larryboodry says: Jun 7, 2013 3:59 PM

@ososrule:

How ’bout Cutler throwing to both Marshall and Johnson? (Hey, a man can dream, right? It wasn’t that long ago that Cutler-to-Marshall seemed impossible.)

36. tokyosandblaster says: Jun 7, 2013 11:39 PM

Well, we all know that James Jones is better at catching Touchdowns, does that make him better?

No, it does not.

My homerism knows at least some limits.

37. beerbratscheese says: Jun 8, 2013 10:36 AM

chi01town says:
    Jun 6, 2013 6:36 PM
    ————————–
    Yea, they’ve been a perennial top 5 defense alright. Oh, except for 2011, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2004, 2003 and 2002.

But yea, other than that, they have been consistently top 5 as of late.

38. ososrule says: Jun 8, 2013 1:08 PM

L0L, James Jones! Packers fans trying to figure out who is a good receiver on their team LMAO! Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…..I’m from Wisconsin….DUHHHHHH…..Packers……duhhhhhhh…….cheese……

39. ososrule says: Jun 8, 2013 1:17 PM

In all seriousness though…The packers have Aaron Rodgers and I respect him and he is the best QBs in the game……..Why can’t you admit that B. Marshall is one of the best WR’s in the game?

40. larryboodry says: Jun 8, 2013 2:21 PM

@beerbratscheese:

Top 5 defense two of the last three years…I dunno, sounds pretty ‘as of late’ to me.

41. beerbratscheese says: Jun 8, 2013 6:04 PM

Larry, so they were top 5, then not top 5, then top 5 again. Sounds like the patter dictates it’s their turn to not be top 5.

Honetly, if I were a Bears fan, I wouldn’t know what to expect this year, especially since Lovie Smith and Rod Marinelli, the architects of that defense, are no longer with the team. Combine that with the previous three years ranked 21, 16 and 16, the 2013 version of the Bears defense will be a roll of the dice.

I might be convinced to put money on them being top 15, but I wouldn’t pit a nickel of them being top 5.