Ed Reed gets closure from White House visit

350x Getty Images

If former Ravens center Matt Birk had opted to join his former teammates at the White House, he may have gotten what former Ravens safety Ed Reed got from joining his former teammates at the White House.

“It was really awesome getting back and seeing my teammates,” Chris Farley Reed told NFL Network earlier today.  “It was like closure since I had not seen them since I had signed.  I know they had a lot of questions and they were answered yesterday.  That whole team, all those guys, they know me.  They know I always tell them to understand this business when they first come into the league as rookies.  I talked to just about all of them.  I talked to them about being professionals, having some professionalism about themselves, how to carry themselves.  So they understand the business.

“Granted, I didn’t think my career would end the way it may. But I was OK with it because Houston is home.  People there are very good.  I wouldn’t have went there if I didn’t feel that way.  Coach Kubiak is one of the coolest coaches I have ever met. [Defensive coordinator] Wade [Phillips] is so laid back, you can’t really do anything but enjoy him.  My position coach is really cool.  Going through this process of having to have surgery, I couldn’t have had any other organization behind me the way this organization is staying behind me.  They are understanding this process and understanding that I am doing everything possible — we are doing everything possible — to be at that first game.”

Whoa.  No one ever said Reed’s unexpected hip surgery, due to an injury he apparently didn’t disclose to his new team, could keep him out for the regular-season opener.  Based on what Reed has now said (he actually let the cat out of the bag for the first time on Wednesday), it apparently could.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
34 Responses to “Ed Reed gets closure from White House visit”
  1. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 6, 2013 1:12 PM

Maybe Birk can get his closure at the ring ceremony.

2. ravensterpsarmystrong says: Jun 6, 2013 1:19 PM

Regardless of Reed finishing his career as a Texan, everyone knows he’s a Raven at heart! Like he said, “Understand the business side of things”. He want and got more money elsewhere. Wished it didn’t end like this but we wish you nothing but the best. See you at your HoF ceremony! GO RAVENS!

3. siggtacular says: Jun 6, 2013 1:22 PM

The Ravens are too dumb??? We have a safety that is younger and faster in Huff… And a lot cheaper

4. unbiasfan says: Jun 6, 2013 1:23 PM

In Ozzie we t…. Wait never mind I’m not an annoying Ravens fan

5. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 6, 2013 1:26 PM

Fledgling human life gets closure from White House policy.

6. gorwr12 says: Jun 6, 2013 1:28 PM

“It’s a good thing the Ravens are too dumb to realize they should have re-signed Reed.”

I am assuming that is sarcasm…it is hard to tell.

7. geemoney713 says: Jun 6, 2013 1:28 PM

Yea, they are dumb alright.

8. 23chameleons says: Jun 6, 2013 1:42 PM

Reed can’t do anything but help the Texans. A veteran presence with a Hall of Fame resume and Super Bowl champion. If the only thing he does is help solidify the back end even a little and stay in the ear of the younger guys, it’s an absolute win for the Texans.

9. kev86 says: Jun 6, 2013 1:49 PM

Reed is a beast.

10. htown1035 says: Jun 6, 2013 1:59 PM

siggtacular says: Jun 6, 2013 1:22 PM

———————————————–

And a lot worse of a player.

11. southpaw2k says: Jun 6, 2013 2:06 PM

gorwr12 says:
    Jun 6, 2013 1:28 PM

I am assuming that is sarcasm…it is hard to tell.

———————————————–

It is very awkwardly worded, but I think it was sarcasm. I took it as a backhanded compliment, considering all the commenters on here call the Ravens “dumb” for letting Ed Reed go, but now it looks like there’s a chance Reed may miss a portion of the regular season, the Texans are the ones who are paying Reed to sit on the bench.

12. kd75 says: Jun 6, 2013 2:07 PM

I wonder if anyone stole a dinner plate. I totally would.

13. crownofthehelmet says: Jun 6, 2013 2:08 PM

Hey Ed, every time you step on the field with that subpar play, your football image takes a hit. Something you’ve failed to deliver in years.

14. ninerfan81 says: Jun 6, 2013 2:19 PM

Dumb? I can’t even joke about Ozzie being dumb, that Tide loyalty with McClain was a bad move but low risk. I’d have to think really hard to remember the last time he made a dumb move, he let countless guys walk from Hartwell to Adalius to Ellerbe and his team just keeps on ticking. Letting Reed walk and drafting a high potential Safety out of Florida was not a dumb move. Due to the new CBA(I love referencing it) they’ll probably pay Elam for 3 years with the salary Ed would’ve made in just one season. They just had to get younger. If I’m Reed, I would’ve seriously considered taking a pay cut or retiring to a coaching gig with the Ravens.

15. htowntexan says: Jun 6, 2013 2:23 PM

Wonder if he will be remembered as a raven after getting two more rings with the texans.

16. scoobies05 says: Jun 6, 2013 2:25 PM

we didnt lose ed reed defensive poy. we lost ed reed 2013. better a year early then year late. that being said with houston’s pass rush i think reed is in a great situation. i wish him well…he is an all time raven

17. romoscollarbone says: Jun 6, 2013 2:28 PM

I think it’s a bit harsh to say it was a dumb move not to retain Reed.

One would assume the Ravens medical staff knew about Reed’s hip and what it would take to get it right. Factor in his wavering thoughts about retirement the past few seasons, and perhaps they didn’t want to theoretically overpay based on past performance and legacy when they weren’t sure how invested he truly is/was anymore. And what his recovery timeline would look like.

They always say it’s better to let a guy go a year too soon than a season too late.

Lastly we really don’t know, how deep the B. Pollard mutiny runs and what role Reed had.

18. lovefootball4life says: Jun 6, 2013 2:28 PM

Don’t freak out about the “Ravens are too dumb” comment. Florio is still making fun of Flacco’s agent.

I’m glad Reed got closure. He is a Baltimore icon. I hope he decides to retire a Raven when the time comes.

19. mdagnew1 says: Jun 6, 2013 2:31 PM

Dumb as in dumb for not signing Flacco at the end of the 2011 season, per Flacco’s agent…

20. overratedsteelerhater says: Jun 6, 2013 2:32 PM

milk the texans for 1 more nice payday.watch and see how many tackles he makes during reg
    season[not many]if you make the playoffs he
    show up and play well.. good luck

21. psuorioles says: Jun 6, 2013 2:32 PM

There is a BIG difference in Birk and Reed’s situation… Birk decided to retire and probably doesn’t want or need closure… whereas Reed was not offered a contract from a team he has spent his entire career with…

22. tomtravis76 says: Jun 6, 2013 2:59 PM

In the next few years the ravens will put up three statues on the opposite side of the stadium from Johnny u…Ray, ed and Ogden.

23. cocheese000 says: Jun 6, 2013 3:22 PM

Really going to miss seeing 20 out there. And 52. And 81. Might just stop watching the Ravens and take up another hobby.

24. oldway9 says: Jun 6, 2013 3:34 PM

Matt Birk, a Harvard graduate, surprisingly showed a lack of class and a degree of respect in not going with his Super Bowl-winning team to visit the President, the man who runs the country.
    The Ravens are my team, so that changed my view of this retired center.

25. purpleguy says: Jun 6, 2013 3:47 PM

This Viking fan couldn’t agree more with oldway9 that Matt Birk showed a complete lack of class in refusing to attend the White House ceremony. Despite his political differences with the president, he should respect the country, the NFL, the office of the presidency and his team and team-mates enough to attend the ceremony. He selfishly placed himself before everyone else, and his lip service on not attending despite a purported respect for the office shows actions are louder than words. I respect that guy less and less every year.

26. ppdoc13 says: Jun 6, 2013 4:15 PM

Last time I checked, free will was still allowed in this country. I realize this president doesn’t like that idea, but I stand with Birk. He is no longer a member of the team. He owes the ravens nothing just as they owe him nothing. Why fly x country to spend your free time with someone you don’t like or respect. Given all the scandals which surround this potus which infringe on our basic rights such as freedom of speech and association, I wouldn’t go either

27. northstarnic says: Jun 6, 2013 4:27 PM

‘Cause he’s just so mean!

28. flavadave10 says: Jun 6, 2013 4:39 PM

The Ravens were dumb to let an oft-injured safety who can’t even tackle properly leave to get overpaid? I love Ed Reed, but it was time for him to go.

29. Nofoolnodrool says: Jun 6, 2013 4:45 PM

Sounds like you fought for your country and understand the cost of freedom. Sounds like you respect older people your parents and the laws of the land also. Don’t think so…sure the potus will sleep better knowing you won’t becoming to visit.

30. 52crabcakes says: Jun 6, 2013 6:11 PM

oldway9 says: Jun 6, 2013 3:34 PM

The Ravens are my team, so that changed my view of this retired center.
    ——————-

I believe it’s called principles which evidently Matt Birk has. Evidently he sticks by them. I respect Matt for not compromising them! Go Matt!!

31. pjcostello says: Jun 6, 2013 10:16 PM

Matt Birk might have gotten what Ed Reed did…? Closure?? That has nothing to do with why Matt Birk didn’t attend, as you well know. What would he have ‘closed’ exactly? That was a silly way to take a shot at a guy for standing up for his beliefs.

32. pjcostello says: Jun 6, 2013 10:20 PM

oldway9 says:
    Jun 6, 2013 3:34 PM
    ——————————————
    He’s not on the team anymore. I can see why you think he shows a lack of class and respect, though I disagree with the idea. His own respect, and respect of his family and church, were more important to him than a once-in-a-lifetime visit to the White House as a Super Bowl winner. Tough call, and few of us would have the stones to make it. I’m glad he did, because he shows us something — he shows his family, other kids around the country, that a real man stands for principles, and doesn’t give in when he perceives those principles are being attacked.

33. blazertop says: Jun 7, 2013 7:21 AM

Texans will never win anything with Kubiaverage at head coach.

34. 8to80texansblog says: Jun 7, 2013 5:05 PM

tomtravis76 says:
    Jun 6, 2013 2:59 PM

=========================

A statue for a guy who was involved in stabbing 2 people to death because they talked trash….

Not sure of the types of people you want to immortalize with a statue, but double murderers are not my cup of tea.

I don’t care how good of a player he was, those two people are still dead.