Vick doesn’t like splitting reps with Foles

Vick AP

The Mike Vick experience in Philly could be finishing the same way it began.  Sort of.

Four years after Donovan McNabb complained during the preseason about having to come off the field for Vick’s Wildcat plays, Vick is now complaining about having to come off the field during practice for his primary competition for the starting job, Nick Foles.

It’s tough,” Vick said Thursday regarding splitting reps with Foles.  “I have to continue to be a professional and put my feelings and emotions to the side, and just continue to compete.  But it’s hard.  I would be lying if I said it wasn’t, but that’s just what I have to deal with, and I’m going to keep dealing with it until I see otherwise.”

Vick has yet to broach the topic with coach Chip Kelly.

“We haven’t talked about it yet,” Vick said.  “Coach knows exactly what he’s doing. We don’t question him, he don’t question us.  We just listen.”

Of course, now that Vick has shared his complaints with the media, there’s no need to tell Kelly directly.

Vick’s comments come on the heels of an acknowledgement that he doesn’t know where he stands in the quarterback competition.  If he can’t handle the realities of a quarterback competition, it could mean that he’ll end up sitting.

Permalink 65 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
65 Responses to “Vick doesn’t like splitting reps with Foles”
  1. tjacks7 says: Jun 6, 2013 4:11 PM

I think Chip Kelly is the perfect fit for the eagles. Put me amongst the few that think he’ll succeed there. Also, I think Vick is a better fit for Kelly’s offense. But Foles needs his practice time for the 4-8 games Vick will be injured for.

2. thesmartest1 says: Jun 6, 2013 4:12 PM

Tick…Tick..Tick…As Mike feels it all slipping away. What goes around comes around.

3. heyguru1969 says: Jun 6, 2013 4:12 PM

Yeah, this article doesn’t sound like theres’ a whole lot of listening going on in your corner, Michael. Here’s a thought on how to avoid dealing with the competition: WIN THE JOB and shut your pie hole.

4. djax10isthebomb says: Jun 6, 2013 4:13 PM

That’s too bad Mike. Get over yourself already and realize that you aren’t as good as you think you are. Stop overrating yourself Mike! Go back and watch the tapes on yourself from the last two seasons then get back to us…

5. dasportsninja says: Jun 6, 2013 4:13 PM

Foles is not in the same league as Vick as an athlete, but I have a feeling he will pick up this offense a bit quicker.

6. ad2k13 says: Jun 6, 2013 4:15 PM

Wow! The unthinkable injustice of your boss considering another option for your position after you completely failed at your job for half a year. How dare he?!?

7. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 6, 2013 4:15 PM

Things take a turn for the worse on the Vick and Nick Show.

8. dublindemonszfl says: Jun 6, 2013 4:15 PM

Then don’t suck, should have played better last season.

9. elwayfanj says: Jun 6, 2013 4:16 PM

Sorry, your durability will always be a question mark.

10. dlc618 says: Jun 6, 2013 4:17 PM

Nick will be the starter by week 5

11. jwil007 says: Jun 6, 2013 4:18 PM

When Vick signed with Philly his other offer was Cincy….Dungy at the time told him no….had he signed with my team.. He would have had a better Oline, better defense and soom good receivers…Imagine if he was here now either with Green, Gresham, Eifert, BGE, Bernard, Sanu and Hawkins and a Top 5 Oline….hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Go ahead Philly cut him Mike B will sign him and add some serious pressure to Dalton….I know 1 thing Vick with time would have threaded the needle to Green in that playoff game against the Texans…. Philly fans hate him so much convince the FO to cut him…He will be on another team in 5-7 days tops!

12. albertmn says: Jun 6, 2013 4:19 PM

Vick is a turnover machine. What did he expect? Even if it wasn’t a new coach, I would have expected Foles to get reps. But, with a new coach, he is going to want multiple players to get reps at most positions to better evaluate who will start. A lot of coaches talk the talk about “every job is open”, but don’t really mean it. I have little doubt that Chip Kelly is willing to use every and any player to try to win and is less worried than most coaches about whose toes he might step on. Not an Eagles fan, but looking forward to seeing what happens with Kelly as coach.

13. djax10isthebomb says: Jun 6, 2013 4:20 PM

Jwil007, you can have him. He’s won 1 playoff game in his 10 year career. What a star!!

14. stumpzzz says: Jun 6, 2013 4:23 PM

Vick is such a cry baby…shut up mike, just compete and win the job. I really hope foles wins…vick can’t stay healthy and turns the ball over too much.

15. logicaillvoicesays says: Jun 6, 2013 4:23 PM

I know we would take Vick(hail). We need someone to lead the best team in the nation after RG3 knee gives out in training camp. We have the best talent in the leaugue just need a dependable qb. As long as we have (i get you down after 7 yards Fletcher) is out there, were good

16. britishteeth says: Jun 6, 2013 4:24 PM

Wait until he’s splitting 2nd team reps with Barkley (Barkley, that’s a funny name to be on the same team with Vick).

17. seaeagle707 says: Jun 6, 2013 4:25 PM

You have to ask yourself ONE question, Mike. Oh, and you have to give yourself an honest answer.

The question: Since you have been the starting quarterback for the Eagles, what, have you done that should guarantee you the starting job this season?

18. tombradyswig says: Jun 6, 2013 4:32 PM

Just cut him now Chip!! Put him out of his misery!

19. jwil007 says: Jun 6, 2013 4:32 PM

djax,

actually 2-3 in the playoffs with wins against St Louis and the Packers in Lambeau….Thats better than Andy and Carson…Look the dude is not mud by any means..Can he turn the ball over? yes…Did he always play with an oline in Philly noooooooo… I hope he plays this year to get a good sample with a better oline and new coach…When I think of it..Vick hasnt had the best Olines in his career…If he signed to compete as a back up this year and chance to start next year if Dalton falters…he would have the best Oline of his career with a running game and sick WR’s and TE’s… hH never had this in Atlanta he had 1 year in Philly with a decent line then next season the line goes to crap and injuries come…Dude still can ball in the right situation is my point.

20. jmt8251 says: Jun 6, 2013 4:33 PM

It is simply amazing how you media do whatever you can to twist what Mike Vick says to make is sound like he is complaining. He was asked a question and he answered it honeslty. The question you asked had he said I just love splitting reps with Foles you would have said he’s lazy thinks he should have the starting job.. I don’t see anybody complaining about DeSean Jackson when he said to Chip Kelly why am I running with the 2s or 3s? what is going on? Not one word but you ask Vick a question and then you say he complaining. He said it is difficult but he is doing what the Coach wants him to do. You haters need to back off and STHU with your hateful assumptions. I didn’t hear anyone ask Foles how difficult it is to split reps. Oh no we all know what your motives are in the media. You will reap what you sow. Keep fighting Michael Vick we already know you have to be 110% better than everyone else and you still won’t get respect. We all know why.

21. paulsmith107 says: Jun 6, 2013 4:34 PM

I’m sure his dogs didn’t like getting their hips broken and then basically fed to three pitbulls. I’m sure his teamates don’t like watching him fumble. News flash you suck you don’t even deserve to be in the league because you suck get over it foles should be pissed he gotta split reps with a turd of a qb and a turd as a person.

22. ace8842 says: Jun 6, 2013 4:37 PM

I’ve said all along, Foles will win the job. Foles picks up offense fast, Vick does not. Foles was put in a horrid situation last year, where he wasn’t groomed for the position, where he was missing his top 3 and sometimes 4 offensive lineman, he had no LeSean McCoy for 4 games, No DeSean Jackson, no Celek and Avant for a game each…no one could have succeeded in his position…

23. jkaflagg says: Jun 6, 2013 4:39 PM

It’s interesting that Vick doesn’t seem to understand that he’s fighting for a job, and the best thing he could do is simply give the “I’ll do anything Chip says to help the team” line and keep working hard on the field…..It’s nice that he doesn’t want to “lie” to us and not say what he really thinks, but that’s a privilege reserved for guys who are in secure positions with their team, not for entitled former stars who have no leverage with the new boss. In many ways it sums up Vick’s entire career, a talented guy who never learned he wasn’t quite talented enough to make his own rules…..

24. eagles83 says: Jun 6, 2013 4:39 PM

What a loser.

25. stillers1229 says: Jun 6, 2013 4:45 PM

Wait. The coach don’t question his players?

26. nomoreseasontix says: Jun 6, 2013 4:50 PM

If he doesn’t like splitting reps, he’s probably not going to love holding the clipboard either.

27. djax10isthebomb says: Jun 6, 2013 4:54 PM

jwill

All I see is you making more excuses for Michael Vick. I mean how many excuses does this guy warrant anyhow? Vick supporters drive me a little crazy sometimes. their denial is soooo strong.

“He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

28. jlinatl says: Jun 6, 2013 4:55 PM

Good idea… talk to the press before you talk to the coach. A new coach establishing himself and his vision… what could go wrong?

29. rawdiggity32 says: Jun 6, 2013 4:56 PM

I really don’t see what Vick said being wrong. It would be tough to watch that go on right in front of your face. It shows his maturity level in regards to his coach. “….We just listen”.

30. supesfan34 says: Jun 6, 2013 4:57 PM

As is often the case here in PFT, the title makes it sound like “whining” but in reading the story, Vick was asked a question and he answered honestly. It didn’t come off as whining in that context. Any competitor would answer the same way. And I am most difinitly NOT a fan of Vick.

31. ordinaryday6 says: Jun 6, 2013 4:58 PM

I’m excited about the changes Kelly has made. even if they don’t succeed right away, I’m happy with the direction the team is going so far. foles is a smart guy. I think he’s got serious potential. we know what Vick has.

32. djax10isthebomb says: Jun 6, 2013 5:04 PM

jmt

They have asked those questions to Foles and even Barkley. You know what their answer was? They both said that they were fighting for the starting job and that the open competition was going to be good for all of them. They didn’t sound like they were complaining like Vick, he comes off with his whole “It’s tough” and “I have to continue to be a professional and put my feelings and emotions to the side” crap. If that doesn’t come off as sounding a little whiny then I don’t know what to tell you.

He’s worried he’s gonna lose his starting job, point blank. He should be.

33. mungman69 says: Jun 6, 2013 5:04 PM

Oh, come on, it’s June 7th.

34. kdub79 says: Jun 6, 2013 5:06 PM

Oh, come on, it’s June 6th.

35. justintuckrule says: Jun 6, 2013 5:06 PM

Must be a real gut check when you were once a star and are now forced to split snaps with a scrub.

36. eagles83 says: Jun 6, 2013 5:06 PM

The fastest thing about Vick is his mouth.

37. woodsidegil says: Jun 6, 2013 5:15 PM

jmt8251

“Keep fighting Michael Vick we already know you have to be 110% better than everyone else and you still won’t get respect. We all know why”

I’m part of the “we” so please tell me why he has to be 110% better.

38. joshuas82 says: Jun 6, 2013 5:16 PM

Not a fan if Vick but what’s he supposed to say? “I’m really glad to come off the field, I don’t want all the reps and it gives me time to walk the dogs”

39. bigbluefan1 says: Jun 6, 2013 5:22 PM

Nick can read the play book
    Vick only understands if they have pictures

Vick should be put down like he put down the cute little pittys

40. outlawjerseywhales says: Jun 6, 2013 5:25 PM

mungman69 says: Jun 6, 2013 5:04 PM

Oh, come on, it’s June 7th.

kdub79 says: Jun 6, 2013 5:06 PM

Oh, come on, it’s June 6th.

———————————————————————

My Mom has this problem with dates, especially my birthday. My Dad’s is the 3rd, mines the 9th.
    How many times have I heard “Happy Birthday” on the 6th to which I have always replied “C’mon, Mommy Dearest, today is D-day!”.
    To which she always replies “who can tell the difference?”.

41. thesteelers says: Jun 6, 2013 5:29 PM

We laugh at Vick and his family.

42. digrojones says: Jun 6, 2013 5:33 PM

Please please cut this idiot. Speaking of idiots… anyone who thinks the Eagles or any other franchise would be better off with Mike Vick as their QB should have their football IQ tested

43. seabreezes51 says: Jun 6, 2013 5:35 PM

Then win the job.

44. bleedeaglegreen says: Jun 6, 2013 5:45 PM

This whole act of Mike Vick should surprise no one. He’s always been a guy that throws a semi-fit when his skills & ability are questioned or he’s having a bad time on the field.

Do people not remember last year with Andy (who gave Vick a lot more loyalty than he has ever deserved) Vick felt slighted & he had to have a talk with Reid to see where he stood. Do we forget Arthur Blank giving him the “c’mon Mikey, give me that big smile” during that game in Atlanta when Vick was playing horribly & was sulking? How about after a particularly bad game where he gave the HOME FANS the finger in Atlanta??

This behavior isn’t new from a guy that has been handed everything on the field is whole life. He has never had to fight for his job, never. When Mc Nabb was traded he was handed the job after Kolb went down, Andy served it up to him on a silver platter. Vick getting the job was Reid’s plan the whole time. Andy told him how it had to play out, let Kevin start then I’ll insert you at the first sign of trouble. Vick knew he was getting the job.

Since then, this is the first time he has had to worry about his security. And unless Chip coddles him & make no mistake, MV7 needs to be coddled, Vick will not handle having to actually compete for his job well. If he doesn’t get the starting job, Chip will have a 1st class baby on his hands, just watch. As always with Mike Vick, when he can set an example & be a leader he’ll go into the tank once again.

45. evolrider says: Jun 6, 2013 5:49 PM

Sooooo tired of hearing Vick talk. Every year he “learns” how to be a better QB but it has never translated to the field. Foles outplayed him last year with a worse o-line and without D-Jax. One of the minority who doesn’t think Vick ends up with this job.

46. tellthetruth1313 says: Jun 6, 2013 6:04 PM

BUT HE ENJOYED KILLING THOSE INNOCENT ANIMALS, WHAT AN A$$HOLE.

47. Illogicalvoicedronesonandon says: Jun 6, 2013 6:07 PM

…..ummm RG3, RG3, Redskins,Redskins, burgondy and gold….duh………burp!

48. phyxius13 says: Jun 6, 2013 6:09 PM

Profootballtalk censorship must cease:

Thank you for your support! At iPetitions, your voice counts.

Want to do more to support this petition? Tell your friends and colleagues to sign, too. Email your friends now

49. phyxius13 says: Jun 6, 2013 6:24 PM

Thanks as well, for giving me what I needed to write about this. I was able to grab the screenshots last time, for my own personal journalism :-) Keep it up, PFT!

50. harrisonhits2 says: Jun 6, 2013 6:24 PM

Hopefully sick Vick will be out of the league for good before the season starts.

51. thefiesty1 says: Jun 6, 2013 6:43 PM

Maybe it’s time to go back to raising pit bulls.

52. schmedley69 says: Jun 6, 2013 6:45 PM

Hopefully Vick gets his wish and Kelly names Foles the starter before training camp. Hopefully I get my wish and Vick is sent packing and we never have to see this turd wearing an Eagles uniform again. The guy is nothing but bad news. Always has been. Always will be.

53. gorillapimpin says: Jun 6, 2013 6:49 PM

I’m not exactly a Vick fan but after watching this on ESPN it seemed like a non issue. I think it would be more of a problem if he was content sharing reps with Nick Foles.

54. phelbin says: Jun 6, 2013 7:20 PM

“Coach knows exactly what he’s doing. We don’t question him…”

Except when I question him in the media…cause that’s different.

55. edawg7l says: Jun 6, 2013 7:36 PM

Vick is the most overrated QB. He is stupid, he lost a step (his only true weapon), and he has made poor decisions. He is lucky he even has the chance to split reps.

56. ninozlatino says: Jun 6, 2013 7:38 PM

What a load a crap man come on. The man was asked a question and he answered it. I love how you cut out important parts of the response like what can I do but keep competing. love that. I hope he wins. I wanted Foles at first but the players want Vick. bottom line. better o line. better run game. a coach that won’t stand for turnovers. an offense that bends to players strengths not forcing itself upon them. I’m excited. don’t even know why I let u trolls bug me anymore. vick hating is so old anymore get a life. he did his time. haters.

57. ninozlatino says: Jun 6, 2013 7:39 PM

14 million reasons why Vick starts. This is just a smokescreen keep buyin it folks.

58. laserw says: Jun 6, 2013 7:44 PM

The Dog Killer better appreciate what work he is getting. He has no room for error after the wretched season he had last year. Not only is he not dependable or a leader, he gets injured easily. He’ll be lucky to make the final roster if there is anyone there on the team who decides to man up and to contest the starting job. The Dog Killer needs to shut his trap and to do something for the first time in his career – show up as a professional and lead a football team. You can’t make a leader out of a tampax.

59. ninozlatino says: Jun 6, 2013 7:49 PM

I’m still with u Vick! Starting Foles would hamstring this offense. in andys offense I go foles. with Chip its Vick. or barkley over Foles. I give Foles some credit he was a small forward he has some athleticism. but no Vick all the way.

60. nickynick04 says: Jun 6, 2013 9:18 PM

Until Chip Kelly wins ONE game in the NFL I have no rap for him.

61. flyeredup says: Jun 6, 2013 10:13 PM

Dream team. Dynasty

62. rcali says: Jun 6, 2013 10:49 PM

Um, Mr. Felon, your Enabler doesn’t coach the team anymore and the new guy isn’t that impressed.

63. b1unt3d says: Jun 6, 2013 11:15 PM

Worst. Guy. Ever.

64. 1trinieagle says: Jun 7, 2013 12:33 PM

I am not surprised by the outpour of emotions by fans AGAINST my #1 Starting Eagle QB choice, Mike Vick. I saw the interview, the moment M.V agreed to give the media an ” HONEST ” answer …YIKES!!!…it becomes a National story… he is paying for his honesty.

Vick is my guy…this competition is a tremendous opportunity for Mike to improve his skill set with a Fresh Start and a system that fits his skill set best. Chip has said the players set the depth chart. If you got an issue with Chip DON’T discuss it with the media, BEFORE TALKING WITH Coach…

I get his honesty and on the real my starting QB better be unhappy with sharing reps, he has to Demand and then Demonstrate that he is the guy Mike knows this league is about ” what have u done for me lately. ” Mike… Compete, Win the job on the field of play, and Save the honest confessions for your coach NOT THE MEDIA.

65. macjacmccoy says: Jun 7, 2013 1:06 PM

Im so sick of Vick, and its not because of the Dog Fighting thing I could care less. Its the fact that he always has an excuse followed by a complaint. He’ll do something dumb and make a mistake on the field then say well that happened bc of that but I got it figured out now . Then he will make the same mistake the following week and just make a different excuse for it. And he always follows it up by telling us how great he is now and how hes going to get back to his 2010 form bc he realized what he did wrong. Its just old and Im tired of hearing his bs.

That side of his personality is bad enough, but now I gotta listen to him whine about not having the starting job handed to him? Im sorry your delusional Vick and really believe all the crap you say in the media about your greatness but its not true. You have stunk the past 2 1/2 years not bc of all the excuses you make but bc of you. When you were the starter last year you had 3/5 of your starting o line in front of you. When Nick Foles was the starter he had 0/5 of his starting o line in front of him. Even though he had it worse he still outplayed you. And you have the nerve to whine that Chip Kelly hasnt taken the job he has earned a right to compete for and given it to you for no other reason but because your name is Mike Vick? Wow what happened to all the humility you fained when you got out of prison?

I agree with Florio for once if a NFL QB can’t even stomach a few weeks of competition with 1 person who cant touch him, how can you expect him to handle a competition against 11 people who are trying their best to cause as much damage to his person as possible. The Eagles would be better off ending this relationship now then waiting until after he becomes a cancer bc he lost his starting postition. Because he will be benched at some point this year either before the season or during it.