John Harbaugh: Courtney Upshaw eats too much junk food

Upshaw Getty Images

Ravens outside linebacker Courtney Upshaw admitted recently that he’s overweight, saying he had some “personal issues” that had prevented him from working out this offseason. But Ravens coach John Harbaugh says the issue is simple: Upshaw eats too much.

“He’s working really hard, [but] Courtney’s weight issue – which he does need to lose some pounds – is that he doesn’t eat right,” Harbaugh told the Carroll County Times. “Courtney eats too much, and he doesn’t eat all the right foods. He knows that’s something that he’s going to have to get a handle on or he’s not going to be the best he can be. He’s aware of it. We have everybody in our building involved in it. He’ll be in fighting shape. I promise you that.”

The 6-foot-2 Upshaw wasn’t exactly skinny during his rookie season, when he was playing at 270 pounds, and he now says he weighs about 285. So he’s clearly got some dieting to do, but if he does slim down, Harbaugh sees big things ahead for him.

“My first thought is that he is playing pretty well,” Harbaugh said of Upshaw. “That’s my first thought. He understands the defense exceptionally well.”

Now he needs to gain an understanding of proper nutrition.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
45 Responses to “John Harbaugh: Courtney Upshaw eats too much junk food”
  1. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Jun 7, 2013 7:41 AM

So do I, signed: my big gut

2. goraidersgospurs says: Jun 7, 2013 7:48 AM

Don’t we all, Don’t we all!!!

3. wamj2008 says: Jun 7, 2013 7:54 AM

If I’m having trouble making a decision, I like to go with my gut, because I have a lot to go with.

4. jemeehan318 says: Jun 7, 2013 8:03 AM

A guy that size that’s an athlete can lose 25-30 pounds of fat in a month. Just takes a little discipline and the ability to not obsessively indulge every impulse you have…which is NOT something many elite athletes are taught to do.

5. emilfhjensen says: Jun 7, 2013 8:10 AM

285 pounds for Upshaw is pretty funny considering Matt Kalil played at 290 at USC and in the 290′s some games last year for the Vikings.

6. skoobyfl says: Jun 7, 2013 8:10 AM

Bruce Smith laid off cheetos & become one of the great DE’s ever, just saying.

7. reed20fence says: Jun 7, 2013 8:13 AM

Big boys everywhere sympathize.

Junk food eaters are people too!

8. daburgher says: Jun 7, 2013 8:14 AM

I turned 26 about 6 months ago.. the day of my birthday, my metabolism peaced out. I used to be able to eat anything and I would never weigh above 175.. Now if i look at a can of soda, I instantly gain 5 lbs. That said, I recently stayed at an all inclusive in Costa Rica and actually lost weight(ate fresh food, drank lots of water).. Came back to America, first stop Mickey D’s, put the weight on instantly also have been drinking left over soda from the wedding. Although my metabolism is now gone, Eating right is more important than exercise, when wanting to maintain a certain weight

9. ninerfan81 says: Jun 7, 2013 8:15 AM

If it were only that easy coach! I cooked a healthy meal Sunday, it was supposed to last me until Wednesday, I jumped ship Monday night because I had a craving for a burger, pathetic. This is a 23 yr old man with a large bank account, lol, he eats what he wants when he wants.

10. zerophocus says: Jun 7, 2013 8:20 AM

Man I am the worst for candy. I’m actually not eating candy all this month while my wife doesn’t drink soda. It isn’t easy, but I bet this month will be the hardest.

11. nomoreseasontix says: Jun 7, 2013 8:21 AM

If I made my living as a professional athlete, I’d probably pay a little attention to my fitness.
    You get paid a ton to be in shape but don’t do it?
    Kids these days don’t know how to work…

12. bhopp21 says: Jun 7, 2013 8:21 AM

If millions of dollars can’t keep you motivated to eat right, what will?

13. ottomanismydog says: Jun 7, 2013 8:31 AM

Lamar Woodley Jr. All the talent with a side of Micky D’s

14. titansbro says: Jun 7, 2013 8:32 AM

Americans in general have poor eating habits. It starts with our parents taking the easy way out & sticking fish sticks or chicken nuggets in the oven instead of cooking a proper meal.

15. blitzinc43 says: Jun 7, 2013 8:32 AM

At least he’s a Raven. If he were a Raider or something, his career would have a 0% chance of blossoming

16. 81percentwater says: Jun 7, 2013 8:33 AM

The dollar menu saves most people money but will cost this fool millions.

17. ddavis83 says: Jun 7, 2013 8:37 AM

I feel your pain! Pasta and bread is just too good.

18. cocheese000 says: Jun 7, 2013 8:41 AM

15 pounds isn’t a lot for someone to lose at that weight. Chill harbs.

19. TylerHills says: Jun 7, 2013 8:53 AM

Courtney needs to be playing at 260-265 pounds. I hope he gets himself a diet plan, nutritionist, etc. because he would be much better than he already is. If he could get his weight down that would help him be more effective as a puss rusher. And he is smart and strong enough to still be a force in the run game at that weight. Also he could be playing some ILB along with rotating in at OLB, so he will need to get down into the 260s with his weight to do that.

20. crownofthehelmet says: Jun 7, 2013 9:04 AM

I can only imagine how big these guys will be when they retire and stop working out everyday.

21. shayeezy says: Jun 7, 2013 9:20 AM

a 285 pound linebacker is a scary thought, but there’s no way he lasts even three quarters that out of shape.

22. braven4evr says: Jun 7, 2013 9:21 AM

Here we go again… another Bryant McKinney! The personal issue is he just doesn’t know how to push away from food. with the money he makes he can hire a nutritionist!

23. redskinfansince82 says: Jun 7, 2013 9:22 AM

Sad part is He can afford to hire a nutritionest and a chef unlike many other folks. Harbough sent a shot across the bow that if you keep eating you gonna eat yourself right out of the league! You’ve been warned!

24. mazblast says: Jun 7, 2013 9:25 AM

Push-aways work wonders. Just push away from the table, young man.

25. waldoampere says: Jun 7, 2013 9:34 AM

“… he doesn’t eat right.”

My guess is that’s his personal problem.

26. wfederal says: Jun 7, 2013 9:37 AM

This just in… White Castle has signed a deal with Courtney Upshaw to be the new face of the franchise

27. st1llerz1 says: Jun 7, 2013 9:38 AM

Another great draft pick by “the wizard of oz”!

My prediction is coming true…He’ll replace the big tub of goo cody at nose tackle when they let that bust roll out of town next year.

As the Nest Burns…

GO STEELERS!

28. dopekidz83 says: Jun 7, 2013 9:42 AM

I got hungry just reading this article.

29. myeaglescantwin says: Jun 7, 2013 9:48 AM

you make over a million a year.

hire a nutritionist and stop making a excuses fat boy.

you didn’t have knee injury, you could have mixed in a few jogging sessions.

Ravens
    sub 8-8 for 2013.

30. peanutele24 says: Jun 7, 2013 9:50 AM

I’m stuffing my face right now. Look maw no hands.

31. fdugrad says: Jun 7, 2013 10:00 AM

It continues to amaze me. Professional player, whose ENTIRE job revolves around his body, with access to the best fitness equipment, sport specialists in the medical field, trainers, even PERSONAL trainers, nutritional experts, personal chefs, and he is a PANTLOAD. I think coach H. has not put his finger on the REAL problem. It is not simply that his player eats too much,
    though this is obviously part of the situation. The root problem is simply that Upshaw is just plain LAZY. Guys with this kind of mindset and approach to their job, will let their mates down in crunch time due to their total lack of discipline.

32. nfloracle says: Jun 7, 2013 10:03 AM

Courtney, I feel your pain. Now, please pass me one of your three twelve pack orders of double decker tacos and one of those 24-ounce Dr. Peppers.

33. torontosbiggestturd says: Jun 7, 2013 10:04 AM

Where are all the idiots who were railing on the Andre Smith story. Andre loses 20-30 pounds in the offseason – and he’s a disgusting glutton. This guy puts on 15 pounds in the offseason and no backlash?

34. marcolamorsa says: Jun 7, 2013 10:13 AM

can he see his toes though?

35. SAV says: Jun 7, 2013 10:16 AM

Fructose from processed foods and ethanol from alcohol have one thing in common…90% of the substance gets processed in the liver. When you have too much it overloads one organ. All other food materials disperse to other organs.

Courtney if you read this…take some milk thistle, stop drinking alcohol, stick with berries, whey, and a plant/legume based diet. You will 20 in a month.

36. bigdinla says: Jun 7, 2013 10:23 AM

Shows how hard it is for some of these kids to go from a very organized system like Alabama to a free for all.

37. steeltroll says: Jun 7, 2013 10:42 AM

Dear Ozzie,
    BUST.
    Yours truly,
    Kevin C.
    :-)

38. kgb108 says: Jun 7, 2013 10:55 AM

“Salt, Sugar, Fat. How the food giants hooked us”

39. dcapettini says: Jun 7, 2013 11:19 AM

If the millions of dollars that he has already received and which could potentially come with a new contract in 2 years aren’t sufficient motivation not to eat junk, then I don’t see much hope for him. The Ravens have not had much good fortune in drafting pass rushers. After Suggs, they drafted Dan Cody (bust), Paul Krueger (nothing for 3 years and then decent contract year), Sergio Kindle (bust) and Upshaw, now eating himself out of a job. And these were all pretty high picks. Ozzie should stick to FAs for this and WRs. Torrey Smith is the only WR he has drafted that may turn out. We’ll see.

40. hockeyflow33 says: Jun 7, 2013 11:31 AM

If there’s ever an issue that commenters can relate to…..

41. pftfan says: Jun 7, 2013 11:44 AM

LOL, remember the tantrum Mel Kiper Jr. threw when the Jets didn’t draft this guy?!

42. dowhatifeellike says: Jun 7, 2013 11:50 AM

Get him in to camp early and only let him eat at the team dining hall. Big boy can have all the grilled chicken he wants.

43. buzzbeaubank says: Jun 7, 2013 12:36 PM

st1llerz1 says: Jun 7, 2013 9:38 AM

As the Nest Burns…
    —————————–
    This term reached it’s temporary peak after the March purge, but doesn’t it seem a little extra stupid on the day everyone in the Nest is getting their Super Bowl rings?

44. ahostiletakeover says: Jun 7, 2013 1:13 PM

Its really funny how Steeler trolls flocked to this article like their own players with recent weight issues (Alameda Ta’amu, Lamarr Woodley, Jonathan Dwyer) to a buffet. I’d be willing to wager all 32 teams have at least one player on their roster who jas struggled with their weight at some point I’m their careers.

45. allmyexsliveintexas says: Jun 7, 2013 4:32 PM