PFT Live: Matt Birk, PFT Planet calls and tweets

Matt Birk AP

The Ravens visited the White House this week without Matt Birk, their starting center in the Super Bowl who has since retired.

Birk went public with the reason for his absence, saying that his abortion beliefs conflict with President Obama’s and that he “just felt like I couldn’t deal with” visiting the White House under those conditions. Birk will join Mike Florio on Friday’s edition of PFT Live to talk about his decision to skip out on one of the rites enjoyed by championship teams.

We’ll be asking PFT Planet to help us guide the remainder of the program. Florio will be responding to your calls – 888-237-5269 — and tweets — @ProFootballTalk — so reach out and let us know the things you most want to talk about as another week comes to a close.

You can watch it all live at noon ET.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, PFT Live, Rumor Mill, Videos
35 Responses to “PFT Live: Matt Birk, PFT Planet calls and tweets”
  1. farmmbig says: Jun 7, 2013 11:44 AM

2. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 7, 2013 11:45 AM

Kind of funny how so many “pro-choice” individuals are upset that Birk chose not to go to the White House.

3. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 7, 2013 11:45 AM

Matt didn’t trust his large meaty hands that close to the scrawny POTUS neck.

4. commonsensedude says: Jun 7, 2013 11:49 AM

Kudos to Matt Birk for standing up publicly in support of the protection of human life.

5. farmmbig says: Jun 7, 2013 11:53 AM

I’m hoping the show: “Sons of Anarchy” bring Matt Birk into their program as Clay’s long-lost son. or younger brother..

The resemblance is outstanding.

6. bigbluefan11 says: Jun 7, 2013 11:53 AM

Just what you need to do. Give Matt Birk another venue to spew his beliefs. Tell him to keep the chatter to football. If it wasn’t for football, he’d just be another right wing nut with a political agenda and no place to talk about it. Maybe he can give the sermon at his church on Sunday.

7. majbobby says: Jun 7, 2013 12:08 PM

I would not want to shake the worst President in history, with the exception of maybe Jimmy Carter, hand either.

8. godofwine330 says: Jun 7, 2013 12:21 PM

What many people don’t seem to understand is the person carrying is the only one with a vote. The father doesn’t get a vote. He is 50%, or rather 33% of the pregnancy, but if she wants the baby and he doesn’t guess what – she’s having the baby. If she doesn’t want to have it and he does guess what – she’s not having the baby. So even if the baby’s 33% and the father’s 33% were in favor the woman has 34% and the deciding vote.

The baby does not have a right to life, nor does it have a vote, and neither does the father as I explained. Like any decision, the person bearing the brunt of the responsibility is the one with the deciding vote. They could have used contraception, maybe they did and maybe it failed, maybe they didn’t use any at all. Either way, she doesn’t want a child at the time and her right to do it in a clinic or in the back alleys like the old days you and other pro-life folks should think that you are saving a life by allowing legal, safe ways of having abortions instead of being so staunchly against the precedure at all. Thousands have died due to those back alley procedures.

Legal or not, moral or not, women who don’t want to be burdened with the responsibility of a baby will find ways to get rid of it that doesn’t have her carrying it to term. Abortion is better than back alley coat hangers, drinking unknown concoctions, or knowingly taking drugs and alcohol hoping to destroy the baby in that mannor (2 & 3 do happen, I know two women who did it b/c their parents were against abortion. 1 miscarried, the other had a premie that lived 17 days). Believe it or not, legal abortions beat the really dangerous alternatives.

In the end, everyone chamioning that it is a human life, a life with someone who doesn’t want a baby, doesn’t want the responsibility or have the finances that it takes to properly care for a baby, or isn’t prepared to take care of a baby should not be forced to have it.

9. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 7, 2013 12:21 PM

bigbluefan11 says:Jun 7, 2013 11:53 AM

______

I’d hardly say being pro-life makes him a right-wing nut with a political agenda. That is the majority view in this country. Sounds like you chose this venue to spew your beliefs, why shouldn’t he be able to do the same?

10. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 7, 2013 12:24 PM

farmmbig says:Jun 7, 2013 11:44 AM

_______

Jesus hung out with the dregs of humanity, so I imagine he would be very comfortable at the White House.

11. bigbluefan11 says: Jun 7, 2013 12:41 PM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 7, 2013 12:21 PM

bigbluefan11 says:Jun 7, 2013 11:53 AM

______

=======
    The only belief I spewed is that football players should not use their athletic platform to share political or religious beliefs. The same opinion applies to Chris Kluwe. They are free to talk about what they want in their local church or at the lodge meeting. Otherwise, it’s just Tebowing.

12. cuda1234 says: Jun 7, 2013 12:45 PM

Matt Birk is a role model!

13. timbuttrum says: Jun 7, 2013 12:49 PM

“I’d be curious to know Birk’s answer to the question: “What would Jesus do?” (if he was invited to the White House)”

He’d say no as well.

14. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 7, 2013 12:49 PM

@godofwine330 -

I sympathize with women who would find dangerous ways to get an abortion if it weren’t legal, but why are these women the only people we should be concerned with? Thousands may have died because of back alley procedures (reference, please), but tens of millions of babies have died because of legal abortion. Death is death. Maybe we could try educating these women on the joy of adoption. Having a baby is not the worst thing in the world; it happens every day. If you don’t want it or can’t afford it, there are plenty of people lining up to give that baby a good home.

15. purpleguy says: Jun 7, 2013 1:20 PM

It’s not about abortion — it’s about recognizing the team’s accomplishment before our country’s leader for cripe’s sake. Birk put his personal religious and political beliefs before his team and the office of the presidency and no amount of his lip service will change that. Simply put, what he did was selfish and took away from the team’s moment. Obama may be bad news, but his teammates and the office of the presidency aren’t.

16. dalcow4 says: Jun 7, 2013 1:27 PM

godofwine330
    “The baby does not have a right to life…”
    ——————————————

Sorry, wrong country:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are LIFE…”

17. circuscivics says: Jun 7, 2013 1:35 PM

I could really careless what Bigot Birk has to say. I call him a bigot, not because of his “Pro-life” (which is oxymoronic the way social conservatives use it), but because of his anti-equality views as it relates to marriage. The fact that he uses no logic in his arguments, automatically discredit anything he attempts to pontificate. His stance against marriage equality is all about what HIS faith says. No consideration about what others in the United States believe. No empirical evidence to show that marriage equality would lead to a decline in the US moral standing. Empirical and practical evidence does exist to the contrary, but he conveniently ignores that. All he has is HIS bible.

The same can be said about his “pro-life” belief. I think that the majority of society, which I would include Bigot Birk, does not understand the implications of overturning Roe v. Wade. The case is ultimately a privacy issue, which also affects men. Most people just think about the most obvious affect overturning the this ruling would have, which is barring a woman the right to make her own medical decisions. If Roe v. Wade was overturned, this would implicitly imply that the government can regulate/sanction actions of all citizens that we consider the most intimate and private. It creates a slippery slope. Where is the line drawn? We all have the right to have our own religious beliefs, but as soon as your religious beliefs impinge on someone else life style, that is where your right ends.

18. majbobby says: Jun 7, 2013 1:39 PM

Why are people flaming Birk.

He excersized his freedoms.

He is GRANTED these freedoms by the Constitution. I get it some of you might just want to toss that out the window.

19. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 7, 2013 1:51 PM

purpleguy says:Jun 7, 2013 1:20 PM

______

First, did his team really care if he was there or not? Did it really detract from the moment for them? Second, shouldn’t we all put our personal beliefs ahead of the office of the presidency?

20. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 7, 2013 1:57 PM

circuscivics says:Jun 7, 2013 1:35 PM

_______

It isn’t about religious beliefs, it’s about universal standards of morality. We aren’t guaranteed the right to whatever lifestyle we want to lead. If I find that my children are impinging on the lifestyle I would like, I’m not allowed to kill them. In fact, the law states that I have to take care of my kids. Why should it be okay to kill a child in the womb just because it affects my lifestyle? You don’t even have to take care of it after it’s born, you can give it up for adoption. That baby’s lifestyle if really being impinged on when someone chooses to abort it.

21. bigbluefan11 says: Jun 7, 2013 2:23 PM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 7, 2013 1:57 PM

circuscivics says:Jun 7, 2013 1:35 PM

_______

======
    Respectfully disagree, Birk’s explanation for not attending included “I’m Catholic…” Kindly reconcile that statement with yours that it’s not about religion.

22. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 7, 2013 2:33 PM

What difference does it make if Birk’s religion leads him to have pro-life views? There are plenty of secular reasons for not killing babies.

23. bigbluefan11 says: Jun 7, 2013 2:51 PM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 7, 2013 2:33 PM

=====
    I would interpret this response as the two statements cannot be reconciled. Birk could have said he chose not to attend because he disagrees with the president’s politics. He could have said that he chose not to attend because he disagrees with a specific issue. He could have simply said he chose not to attend and not given a reason. He didn’t. He made it about his religion, not about “uniform standard of morality,” “lifestyle choices,” or even “a secular reason.” It was about religion, and he was mixing it with politics.

I’ll admit it’s been a few years since I’ve been in school, but as I recall, this country was founded on the principle of a separation a church and state. “I’m Catholic and…” followed by a political stand violates that principle, no matter how one chooses to spin it.

24. gvboot says: Jun 7, 2013 2:57 PM

bigblue, this is a story about Birk. Not you. Get it?

25. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 7, 2013 3:19 PM

bigbluefan11 says:Jun 7, 2013 2:51 PM

_____

This country was founded on freedom of religion, among other things. That means that the state cannot impose an official state religion. IN NO WAY does that mean your religion is not allowed to influence your political views. If you can’t even understand that, there’s no point in even talking to you.

26. bigbluefan11 says: Jun 7, 2013 3:37 PM

=====
    And also means that religious organizations cannot influence government bodies to adopt their particular doctrines as policy for everyone.

Matt Birk is retired. He can disappear into obscurity. Perhaps he’ll run for political office. Jesse Ventura won, so he might stand a chance too.

27. Shayn Roby says: Jun 7, 2013 3:56 PM

Why do liberals not know the Constitution? I challenge one of you liberal “scholars” to point out the section and page of the constitution where “separation of church and state” is mentioned. When you find it, get back to me. BigBlueFan, you won’t find it, it’s not there.

28. usmutts says: Jun 7, 2013 4:08 PM

Shayn Roby, here’s your answer. The First Amendment to the constitution prohibits the establishment of any religion. This “separates” the church from the state. Everyone except you knows this.

29. ahostiletakeover says: Jun 7, 2013 5:52 PM

Liberal, Conservative, you’re all the same. Trying to force your beliefs on others is flat out wrong, regardless of what side you are on.

30. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Jun 7, 2013 6:20 PM

I fail to see how Matt Birk is forcing his beliefs on anyone or trying to influence government bodies to adopt his particular doctrine. Abortion is not a religious issue even though many religions have a particular view on it.

31. bigbluefan11 says: Jun 7, 2013 6:58 PM

Shayn Roby says: Jun 7, 2013 3:56 PM

=====
    Your question has already been answered. However, kindly don’t make assumptions about my beliefs, political or otherwise. I’ve not stated them. As someone pointed out, this isn’t about me. It’s about Matt Birk using his fleeting status as an NFL player to promote his religious beliefs. He handled this situation poorly hopefully it follows him in his post NFL career. Tebow can’t seem to get a job.

32. horses721 says: Jun 7, 2013 8:16 PM

Can we keep politics off of this website. The 2 things you should never talk about are politics and religion. It seems that politics comes up everywhere and in all forms of media and I am tired of it. I come to this site to read about football, not about a players political or religious views!! Thumbs up if you agree with me please.

33. lance19 says: Jun 8, 2013 1:42 AM

Obviously Birk has every RIGHT to add
    his politics into a non-political event.

But for MY money, meeting the president
    of the U.S., in that setting, to acknowledge
    my TEAM’s accomplishment…Hell, I’m
    there, regardless of whether the current prez
    agrees with my politics…

34. oriolesvsravens says: Jun 8, 2013 1:37 PM

I believe that the White House visit was about the team and what they have accomplished. That being said Birk has a right to not go and we should not make a big deal out of ot to take away from such a day.

35. brooklynnsfinest says: Jun 8, 2013 6:17 PM

Secondly, lets go back one president. My man George Bush. I didnt vote for him but i actually liked him. Dont ask me why….lol. Not sure anyone ever completely trusted or supported this man during his entire presidency, not even the people who actually voted for him. Maybe the people who lined their pockets while he was in office did. The point being every US president has had naysayers and disbelievers. Our next president will have’em as well. Lucky for us sports and politics are not married. So Congratulations on being the first prick ever to turn a Super Bowl celebration into a politcal debate. You’re a Dork! Another example of an athletes inappropriate attempt at politics