Wilson fires first pitch at Mariners game

AP

Unlike many who are invited to throw out a ceremonial first pitch before a baseball game, Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson has thrown a lot of pitches.  It showed on Friday night, when he threw out the first pitch at the Mariners game in Seattle.

Per Clare Farnsworth of the team’s official website, Wilson fired a fastball over the middle of the plate to start the game against the Yankees.

“It was awesome,” Wilson said after the pitch.  “This is my childhood right here.  I used to play baseball all the time.”

A fourth-round pick of the Rockies in 2010, Wilson played college baseball at North Carolina State.  But he has no regrets about choosing football.

“God works things out in the right way, always,” Wilson said.  “So being an NFL quarterback is very, very special.  I love it.  I love being the quarterback of the Seattle Seahawks.”

Being the Seahawks’ quarterback also gives Wilson a chance to periodically baffle teammates with locker-room curve balls, as safety Kam Chancellor captured in an excellent Vine video.

Yankees, you can’t hit this indeed.

52 responses to “Wilson fires first pitch at Mariners game

1. I love this kid. Wilson is so classy and talented he almost by himself compensates for Pete Carroll, Richard Sherman and company.

2. Afterwards, Pete Carrol told reports that the video evidance is conclusive, Golden Tate caught that one, too :p

3. Go ahead and play with your little ball while Kaep is working out getting ready to win the west again. God I hate the seahawks more than anything. Probably has something to do with being jumped in the stadium in front of security and I got kicked out all because I had a God Willis jersey on.

4. Russell Wilson rocks! We love you being the quarterback of the Seattle Seahawks right back, dude. You are a born leader and a class act. Championship Offseason continues…

Go Hawks!

5. ty49er4life says:
    Jun 8, 2013 3:56 AM

——————————————–

What is it with 9ers fans getting in fights all the time, it seems like during the season you can count on a story about a fight or someone getting shanked or shot all involving 49ers fans. All the other teams fans seem to be able to go to a game without getting an assault charge. I’d like a study into this matter

6. Wilson is going to struggle bad this year. A full year of film to study for his opponents, especially guys like Jeff Fisher and Vic Fangio is going to spell doom for him. This guy epitomizes the one read quarterback.

Throw in his midget size and you’ve got a guy ripe for a season full of struggles. Plus, when you boil it down, their coaching staff is terrible at crucial clock management in big games. Clock management was a bi time issue for them in close games last year. Simply rematch the final minute of the divisional loss against the dirty birds. Tape doesn’t lie

7. @thereisfootballwestofjersy

Calling Russell Wilson a “one read quarterback” clearly demonstrates that you have never actually watched a Seahawks game because one of Russell’s best strengths is reading defenses and seeing plays develop.

Of course, judging by comments you have made in other threads, I shouldn’t be surprised…

8. 9ers fans are such punks. Your grand daddy long legged qb’s head is disproportioned from the rest of his body. Talk about a player that will get figured out this year! I would put my money on Russell Wilson over Kaep any day of the week.

go panthers

9. I’m so proud of him I sometimes get a little teary eyed thinking how fortunate we were to draft him last year.

Russell Wilson was the true rookie of the year– not that over-hyped, injury prone, attention seeking, loud mouth that plays for the Washington “Obscenities”.

10. eatitfanboy says: Jun 8, 2013 1:04 AM

Wilson did more than play baseball at NC State. He played in the minors for the Asheville Tourists, amongst others.

He also played catcher for the N.C. RamRods.

11. I watched the Yankees broadcast of this game last night. Both of their announcers were stunned by the pitch and had no clue about his baseball background.

Embarrassing.

12. #49ers fan here….Wilson is a class act and glad he’s provided the ‘Hawks stability at the QB position because one of the fiercest rivalries has been born for some good years ahead. Looking forward to the season!

13. pilot2011 says:
    Jun 8, 2013 9:59 AM

——————————————–

Keep thinkin’ that way….we’ll just keep marching to Super Bowls……….

14. Horrible video! Goes from split to full screen at delivery and we don’t see anything. What a waste.

15. wow…..stay classy niners fans. your fear of the hawks is evident from your childish and utterly moronic comments. wilson is nothing but a class act. enjoy running your uninformed pie holes during the off season because once the season beging you wont have anything to say…..just like the message boards after the last meeting between the hawks and niners.

16. howd you guys do in the Superbowl last season?????? thats what i thought…please go away haters.

17. hey niners did you guys get your Superbowl rings…….oh wait never mind, wrong harbaugh led team. keep the classy comments coming haters.

18. Dusty Grey says: Jun 8, 2013 9:57 AM

@thereisfootballwestofjersy

_____________________________________

I watched 7 Seahawk games last year for what its worth. First half of the season, Wilson was dreadful. Then the OC narrowed the playbook and he played better. All the tape I saw clearly indicated he made his first read, then scrambled (every time!). He’s good at scrambling. It’s easy to hit the 2nd or 3rd read once the play breaks down. That’s what the games I taped revealed to my 46 year old NFL-centric eyes.

You can believe what you want. You’re in denial if you think he’s a multi-read QB

19. ty49er4life says:Jun 8, 2013 3:56 AM

Something tells me having a Willis jersey on had nothing to do with you getting jumped and tossed

20. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: Jun 8, 2013 9:34 AM

—————————————–

Jeff Fisher gets too much credit as a coach. I mean other than 1 year out of 20 plus has he had a top rated defense. Pretty much an 8-8 coach year in and year out. Rams I do like because of their young talent but you don’t think teams in the playoffs had tape on Wilson and he put up 400 yards. The clock management was not horrible in the ATL game..They scored with under 30 seconds to go with the Falcons having 1 timeout. I admit there were 3 games where the clock management killed us before the half and end of games because Pete is thinking too far out the box. Russell Wilson had 1/3 the reps right until the last game of pre-season. When the playbook was opened up he was exceptional and throw in Percy Harvin. Keep hoping for the struggles, we have one of the best run blocking lines in football and # 1 defense in fewest points allowed.

21. Then the OC narrowed the playbook and he played better. All the tape I saw clearly indicated he made his first read, then scrambled (every time!).

———————————————

This is where I get a laugh…Read anything from Pete Carroll and Bevell. They limited the playbook because of Pete. Anyone watching the games could see the 1st half they attempted the fewest passes of any team. They “narrowed” the playbook and somehow Seattle managed to put up more points in 50 years in 4 games??? Kaep was a one read QB most times. The whole last half of the season was west coast offense in full effect. You don’t think they brought in Percy Harvin because there were moments where WR didn’t get separation. Your eyes need some work.

22. hereisfootballwestofjersey says:
    Jun 8, 2013 9:34 AM

• • • • • • • • • • • •

A “bi” time issue? What are they using two different clocks? Or maybe it’s just you living in another universe.

23. thereisfootballwestofjersey says:
    Jun 8, 2013 11:44 AM

————————————————-

The fact that you’ve proclaimed the fact that Seattle NARROWED the playbook after the first 6 games of the season for Wilson, is all anyone needs to know about your credibility or your “NFL-centric eyes”.

The exact opposite was true…he was on a restricted playbook being a rookie/backup etc etc, and only when they opened it up, did Wilson and the team took off…and that’s not my opinion, use those NFL-centric eyes to look back at the analysis of him through those weeks and after the season.

24. or is just California folks in general that are the punks? Hell, the state itself came to be by people craving wealth and fame. Not much has changed has it?

“Im gonna go out west and find some gold! That’ll show you!”

“Im gonna go out west to stand in front of a camera and pretend to be someone else! That’ll show you bullies who are intolerant of us artists!”

“Im gonna go out west and take my clothes off and completely make my family disown me! That’ll show you good decent people that I can be a horr if I want to!”

Outside of agriculture, California does nothing right. (but even farms are failing because its too expensive to keep and maintain properly)

25. Oh, and BTW 49ers fans our QB, who used to be a 2nd baseman, throws a better fastball than your QB, who used to be a pitcher.

26. I like PFT. I like Florio’s writing and humor. I like the work of the other writers. I like most of the fans’ comments on here, pro or con. (I’m a big boy, I can take the trash hits.)

What I don’t like are the so-called fans like hendeeze, who having little or no real knowledge of the game, resort to outright fabrications (lies) in order to have something to write.

I am sure that all of the Seahawks (and players of every other team) are tested for drugs on a regular basis. With the Hawks, Irvin tested positive this year. Browner got nailed last year and Sherman?, we assume he might have, but have no concrete proof.

But hendeeze, says that Wilson tested positive for PED’s. Care to reveal your source for your statement, hendeeze?

Personally I would doubt it, not because Russell is a Seahawk, but because of his character and integrity and above all, his spiritual faith. It simply wouldn’t permit him to cheat.

Partisan trash talking is one thing, outright lying about someone is something else again.

27. pilot2011 says:
    Jun 8, 2013 12:25 PM

I don’t know what you’ve got going on in that head of yours but I have a feeling football isn’t the biggest concern you should be having right now……gotta be tough carrying around all that hate and vitriol towards a state. Get a hug now and then, man, it’ll do you some wonders!

28. I have nothing against Wilson, the guy just seems to get it. It just sucks that he is playing in a time when there are more annoying fans than knowledgeable ones. Lets wait until he has a better playoff record than Tim freak’n Tebow before we start showering him with praise.

29. The Wilson apologists on here are more sensitive than a 12 year old at a first dance! LOL

IMO – He’s just not going to be a very good long term NFL QB. Smart, kid, says the right things (mostly…GO HAWKS after every canned interview), is Doug Flutie sized and he won’t last with his propensity to scramble first.

Facts are hard to digest for deluded fans!

30. “p.s. the Kaepernick hate is humorous. No matter where you stood on the Manning vs Brady or Montana vs Marino debates you understood they were both very good. Kaep and Wilson have a LONG way to go, but neither of them have done anything to make me believe they will not become at least very solid QBs. Rivalry aside I can not see how you could like one and think the other sucks.”

The mistake is thinking that the pft comment board is representative of all Hawks fans (or Niners fans). It’s like any internet comment board, people love to anonymously provoke, it’s just the nature of it.

Real Hawks fans know how dangerous Kaep looked last year. Both Kaep and Wilson put up amazing QB numbers (and wins) in the 2nd half of last season, in what was basically the rookie year for each of them. I’m far from a Niners fan, but if I had a choice in having our main rivals be strong or weak, I’d definitely take it the way it is. Can’t wait to see the two teams bang heads this coming seaosn.

31. seahawkshurtpeople says: Jun 8, 2013 10:09 AM

——————————————————————————

Stay classy hawk fan. Keep smoking the weed, and make hateful comments. It suits you very well.

32. They moved the mound in to Little League distance for the occassion. Russ’s Dad volunteered as third base coach, while his Mom put in some time helping out at the concesson stand. They took the kids to Wendy’s after the game.

33. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: Jun 8, 2013 2:18 PM

Facts are hard to digest for deluded fans!

————————————————

You talk facts when 4 people just called out your post of “narrowing” the playbook completely opposite of what was the case while citing extensive NFL years. Wilson took very few hits. The Bills game where he had 3 rushing TD’s in half- he wasn’t touched because he runs out of bounds and slides. Only 2 game I can recall he took direct hits was in the playoffs. I admit there were moments he broke the pocket early but that’s only young QB stepping into their own in the NFL. If you really watched games you would also have noticed Wilson’s eyes are down-field looking to pass when he is scrambling.

34. I like how people can hide behind “handles” and face know accountability for their comments. My name is Jason Dowdy, I live in Oklahoma, I am and have been a die hard Seahawks fan. Anyone who knows anything about football knows that the Seahawks opened up the playbook after week 6, and if anyone watched 7 games and thinks he was a one read QB is was not watching closely. My 5 year old son knows better than that. I like good football discussions but most of the crap on here is people just trying to put other people/teams down, what the hell is wrong with people, lives so pathetic that the only way you feel better is by trying to demean others. Come on people.

35. thegreatgabbert- Real classy thing to write bud. Considering that Russ’s father (who he was close to) died from complications of diabetes two years ago. Do you always do so much research before typing your fact-filled comments?