Jamaal Charles: This offense could be best thing to happen to me

Jamaal Charles, Jonathan Casillas AP

Running back Jamaal Charles likes what he’s seen of the offense being installed by new coach Andy Reid in Kansas City this year.

Charles said that he feels he fits Reid’s scheme in a similar way to Brian Westbrook and LeSean McCoy and is ready to catch more passes than he has in the past as the Chiefs find as many ways as possible to put the ball into his hands. Offensive coordinator Doug Pederson says that the “sky is the limit” for the running back and Charles seems to agree with that assessment.

“This offense might be the best thing that ever happened to me,” Charles said, via Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star. “I think this offense will get me open. They’re going to throw me the ball more. I think I’ll continue to stack Pro Bowls on Pro Bowls if I can stay healthy.”

It’s not the first prediction of tremendous success for Charles that we’ve heard this offseason. Wide receiver Dwayne Bowe said he thinks Charles will lead the league in rushing next season, something that may be a stretch given how Reid ran his offense in Philadelphia but Charles’ overall impact figures to be quite large over the coming year.

As long as Alex Smith does the expected and cuts down on turnovers from the quarterback spot, the Chiefs offense should be much more productive than it was in 2012. That bodes as well for Charles as it does for the team as a whole.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Jamaal Charles: This offense could be best thing to happen to me”
  1. kcbaby58 says: Jun 9, 2013 10:48 AM

Unleash the beast!!

2. kdgwolfpack says: Jun 9, 2013 10:50 AM

The main thing we were missing last year was a leader. Didn’t have that on the coaching staff or from the players. I don’t mind the confidence as long as they lead and spread that confidence. Going to be a long wait for training camp.

3. denverdougz says: Jun 9, 2013 10:53 AM

If getting 13 touches per game is “the best thing that has ever happened to him” then he’s right

4. deltszp says: Jun 9, 2013 11:06 AM

You will stay healthy because Reid never runs the ball.

5. philyeagles5 says: Jun 9, 2013 11:20 AM

LOL unless he wants to be a WR, this is the worst offense for a RB.

6. santoryu64 says: Jun 9, 2013 11:22 AM

If you look back to the Andy Reid era in Philly, his RBs were often featured on most snaps and often led the team in receptions or were #2. Charles can catch the football and work well in space.

7. gregs1981 says: Jun 9, 2013 11:49 AM

8. gregs1981 says: Jun 9, 2013 11:51 AM

I think KC is gonna turn some heads this year. As an Eagles fan ive seen every game Andy coached and i can tell u he is a great coach. I think the Chiefs are gonna have a great season. Jamaal Charles should be the focal point of the offense as a runner and receiver out of the backfield he is very similar to Brian Westbrook, a 2,000 total yd. season is not out of the question. With Alex Smith at QB he is a huge upgrade over any QB they’ve had in recent years hes an accurate passer who protects the football. He is also a mobile QB who can make plays with his legs if he is asked. I dont see Andy relying so heavily on the pass this year, I dont think hes gonna be 3 yds and a cloud of dust either. His first few years s Eagles head coach he ran the ball significantly more than he did after 2004, I think hes gonna be more balanced with his pass/run ratio,Alex Smith is more of a game manager than the QBs hes had in Philly. I think KC has a chance to make some noise this season.

9. joetoronto says: Jun 9, 2013 12:06 PM

Yes, with no QB.

10. arrowdead says: Jun 9, 2013 3:57 PM

JC is the fastest RB Reid has ever had; don’t blink or you will miss him hit the hole.

11. banger60 says: Jun 9, 2013 6:00 PM

If the players are on board it’s already going better than last year, time will tell, here’s hoping, GO CHIEFS!!!!

12. quadya says: Jun 9, 2013 9:30 PM

I’m tellin ya, watch out for the chiefs next year…

13. jjackwagon says: Jun 11, 2013 9:46 AM

Since you are speaking of teams with no QB, how are your Raiders doing, Joey?